Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not a Caps fan.  Or rather, not a hockey fan.  But I'm riding the wave of good feelings.

All ya'll sleeping on the Redskins.  We've got an offensive line.  Got a running back.  Finna have a defense.  We're going on a Super Bowl run, this year or next.

Also, everyone is laughing at the Wizards now won't be laughing when LeBron says he's taking his talents to DC.

tenor.gif

;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

It’ll be fun this October when Nats Park will be filled with fans who believe. What a weight lifted off this city

Such an amazing night downtown last night. 

Really hoping for this.

The 'Skins were my first team but baseball was my first love as far as spots is concerned. I waited, waited, and waited some more for baseball to return to D.C. Even after I moved to North Carolina, in the Braves market (a team I had followed as a kid), I still held out hope we'd get baseball back. Now we've got a team and while the connection has been broken by two team owners in Calvin Griffith and Bob Short, there's still folks like my dad who are keenly aware that this city hasn't had a World Series winner since 1924 and I really hope the both of us (especially him) can see that drought end. He watched so much bad baseball as a boy only to see them leave town as a college student and not have anything fill the void for 30+ years. 

Hopefully, Washington will be home to a World Series champion. If nothing else, he sure as hell deserves it. 

All that said: I'm so glad I could be downtown last night for the Caps Watch Party. I know long time Caps fans - the ones who are real hockey folks and have been following the team through thick and thin - must feel an incredible sense of vindication and relief. I know I did as a general, D.C. sports fan so I can only imagine how they must feel after seeing what they've seen: those very lean early years, the Easter Epic, the '98 Finals, and all those "close but no cigar" teams with The Great 8. I know the Caps got lost in the sports shuffle but had a rabid and devoted following. I didn't grow up in a hockey family (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my family that knows the difference between a hockey puck and a hole in the wall) and didn't really start following hockey at all until after the 2010 Olympics. Still not a hardcore fan but last night was one of the best nights of my life - especially seeing the outpouring of joy from those long time fans and some of the old time Caps who know what it's like to come close but come up short. 

• Like 2

So this is what is curious to me:

Lets fast forward to around the week leading up to October 14th, when the Skins are playing the Panthers. Assume the Skins are 2-2 heading into that game.

The Nats likely are in the playoffs at that point...….not sure if that'll still be divisional series or if NLCS (if they make it past NLDS). Lets assume it is NLDS and they are in, for sake of argument.

NHL schedule not out for another two weeks, but lets assume Caps are playing at home, but say, one of the early season games after they raise their SC banner.

If you're a DC sports fan, where are you spending your money that week?  The Nats are likely the obvious first choice. But what comes second?

15 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

There was a curse? Seemed more like bad coaching and unfortunate injuries. 

Buffalo might have a curse,  Cleveland might have, etc. 

Might? Lol

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Caps and Nats are 1a and 1b, however you want to seed them. I would pick the Nationals, but seeing the banner raised is special.

Disagree. Baseball loyalties in Washington are pretty much divided between Nats and Orioles. Plus the Caps have a long, unique and storied history.

Caps are solidly second in this town.  

There is this weird assumption here by some of the posters that "if you root for one DC sports team, you must root for all of them." 

Sorry, that's not the case at all. I'm a jealous, mean-spirited Caps fan. I don't want any of the DC sports teams stealing our thunder. most

especially the Nats. I'm not worried about the Skins and Wizards, but I am worried about the Nats. I want them to FAIL, not forever, but at least this season, and maybe for the next ten years. I want 2018 to be about the Caps and the Caps ALONE. Sorry, but thats the way I feel.

Edited by Mournblade
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

There is this weird assumption here by some of the posters that "if you root for one DC sports team, you must root for all of them." 

Sorry, that's not the case at all. I'm a jealous, mean-spirited Caps fan. I don't want any of the DC sports teams stealing our thunder. most

especially the Nats. I'm not worried about the Skins and Wizards, but I am worried about the Nats. I want them to FAIL, not forever, but at least this season, and maybe for the next ten years. I want 2018 to be about the Caps and the Caps ALONE. Sorry, but thats the way I feel.

Yiiiikkkkkeessssss, bro.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Baseball loyalties in Washington are pretty much divided between Nats and Orioles

That's not even remotely true anymore. 

Plus playoff baseball is more important than regular season football game for that train wreck of an organization.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Such a loser's mentality. Honestly, it's embarrassing.

But if that's how you want to live so be it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Such a loser's mentality. Honestly, it's embarrassing.

But if that's how you want to live so be it.

Dumbest post I've heard on this forum, and I've heard a ton. Wow.

So you're saying that if I'm born in DC and I happen to root for the Caps, I HAVE to root for the Skins, Nats, Wizards, Mystics, DC United, Langley High

School Chess Team, and so on. BY LAW I have to root for them.

Tell me again, who's insane?

4 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Dumbest post I've heard on this forum, and I've heard a ton. Wow.

So you're saying that if I'm born in DC and I happen to root for the Caps, I HAVE to root for the Skins, Nats, Wizards, Mystics, DC United, Langley High

Tell me again, who's insane?

Of course not. But to actively and passionately root against their success, which would lift the city and the area even higher than it is now? Maybe you don't love the city, maybe you don't want people besides yourself to be happy, who knows. Because I damn sure want the rest of the DMV to have more nights like Thursday - because that was amazing.

The Capitals brought a title back first, nothing is going to take anything away from that, ever. That you're so afraid people will forget that fact if the Nationals win the World Series four months from now after a new season starts anyway is in fact, insane.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Well, to each his own, but...….IMO, you are at Extreme Skins.  Now, most of us probably do have a quasi love/hate relationship with the Skins by now due to the s-show the team largely has been over the 25 years, but I would think the primary reason many of the folks are on here is to express opinions about the Skins, but generally wish the team well. With yes, the bonus of having the Tailgate to discuss other topics, including sports. And there also is the ATN forum where we get a few fans of other NFL teams to talk crap with......that's probably a testament to the level of discussion here.

I'm not a big hockey fan, but I'm sure the Caps have message boards, including some that have sections like our Tailgate here.  What if the Skins won the Super Bowl and I was in that forum's Tailgate equivalent and I expressed the opinion that "Man, I want the Skins to be the only DC team with a championship for the next decade!"  You think that would go over very well there?

Which brings me to an unrelated thought.  I think having the Tailgate is cool and all, and maybe its just me, but are there people on here who solely post in the Tailgate and never in the Stadium, even during football season?  I just find that kind of strange...………...

Why even be a Caps fan if you are not a DC sports fan?  Everyone has their rankings for their loyalty.  The Caps are 3rd on my list but i will root them hardcore any way when the others are not playing

When it comes to October, if a skins game, Nats postseason game and a hockey game is on, Nats are #1.  Who the hell cares about a regular season game in hockey in october? 

• Like 1