Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

So, how much of an influence and change do we expect to see on Manusky's defense ( if any ), now that Callahan is officially in charge of the whole team ?

Other thing I was curious is whether Settle, Allen, and Payne are ever on the field at the same time - or at least Settle and Payne ?

I would think, at least in short yardage situations, I hope.

In Gibb's first season back in '04, our offense averaged 15 pts per game. But our defense ( which was one of my favorites of all time next to the '91 team) gave up just 16 pts per game. We didn't have near the so called talent up front but dam did they play hard for G.Williams..  Fast forward to this year, our offense again is scoring just 15 pts per game and were giving up nearly 30 per game.. This unit collectively is just bad..

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have no idea what that means. 

The play you referenced was Tim Settle, aka Timmy. Timmy went to Virginia Tech, they’re the Hokies, they let the gobbles loose on game day in Blacksburg.  

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Other thing I was curious is whether Settle, Allen, and Payne are ever on the field at the same time 

21 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

So true, though.  I'd argue that it matters infinitely more in football than any other sports. 

Omg can we stop it with Preston Smith. Everyone's acting like he NEVER had any sort of success here. And what would be the solution then to deal with Smith. Sign him to a huge contract and keep him in a system he wasn't gonna thrive in and then were busting Bruce's balls about over paying for him. Hind sight is always 20/20. Just like everyone being up in arms about McVay AFTER he had success in LA, while the message board barely made a peep when he left. If anything most of us were so-so fans of McVay, and we had legit reasons..

No.  We have been misusing DL for decades. Same **** different year.

There are too many great DL to remember them all. Big Daddy. The guy from SF who was DPOY with 15 sacks and came here to read and get run over. Sean Gilbert. Chris Clemons. I will even mention Fat Al.  The list goes on and on.  Preston Smith will be in the pro bowl.

Every D playbook that the team has needs to be burned. Every DC we bring in lies and says they are going to be aggressive and attack the QB. None of them do but a handful of quarters once the season is in ruins. Over and over year after year.

We used to give up 9 yards on first down, and 99 yard drives, consistently. I figured that was the peak of the futility but clearly not. And of course played rookie Qbs as soft as possible and were basically winless against rookies for probably 5 years if not more.   For some odd reason Shanahan decided Nick Foles in his rookie year was worthy of being blitzed early in the game and the change on D spearheaded us making the playoffs, as RG3 fell apart. That broke the embarrassing winless streak, finally.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

Besides the INT, how did Apke look? Any thoughts? Sorry my search skills couldn’t find the Apke thread for whatever reason.

Besides the INT, which was excellent, he looked pretty lost out there.  If I remember right, he was too deep, twice on critical plays.  But maybe that was by design.....

On 10/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, RandyHolt said:

No.  We have been misusing DL for decades. Same **** different year.

There are too many great DL to remember them all. Big Daddy. The guy from SF who was DPOY with 15 sacks and came here to read and get run over. Sean Gilbert. Chris Clemons. I will even mention Fat Al.  The list goes on and on.  Preston Smith will be in the pro bowl.

Every D playbook that the team has needs to be burned. Every DC we bring in lies and says they are going to be aggressive and attack the QB. None of them do but a handful of quarters once the season is in ruins. Over and over year after year.

We used to give up 9 yards on first down, and 99 yard drives, consistently. I figured that was the peak of the futility but clearly not. And of course played rookie Qbs as soft as possible and were basically winless against rookies for probably 5 years if not more.   For some odd reason Shanahan decided Nick Foles in his rookie year was worthy of being blitzed early in the game and the change on D spearheaded us making the playoffs, as RG3 fell apart. That broke the embarrassing winless streak, finally.

Sean Gilbert got us two first round draft picks as a franchise player.  And Dan Wilkinson actually played pretyt well besides Dana Stubblefield when we acquired both of them.  in fact I think he helped highlight how poorly Dana was playing, Clemons was out of the NFL for a year after we released him for the last time and didn't really blossom until his fourth team.  He had a 12 year career with 69 sacks.  33. 5 of them came in three years

They seem very talented but aren't creating havoc like I expected.  Not sure if it is the players or the scheme.  In any case, seems like we should be better than we are.  I think we'd be a little better if the refs were even remotely fair but that is another subject I guess.

Did anyone else see the post on twitter where the opposing team had hands to face and blatantly holding but it wasn't called (during last game).  I can understand our teams frustration.  It seems very one sided.  If the season is lost, I'd prefer them to cause a penalty on every single play to make the game take forever to get over with just to make a point with the league.  Their officials suck and need to be held accountable.  Drive home the point if you can.  It is beyond ridiculous at this point, imo.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, Vanguard said:

Besides the INT, which was excellent, he looked pretty lost out there.  If I remember right, he was too deep, twice on critical plays.  But maybe that was by design.....

I thought he looked great. Hes got insane closing speed. I love that he stayed back and in position. That is the kind of FS we need. Collins is a weapon. Apke is defense. With big aggressive corner that like to gamble, that kind of free makes it possible without anyone getting behind us. I hope he starts the rest of the year.

Archived