Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

What was the name of that monster DT (6’6) that we signed for 1 season after he was cut from Miami.”?!  He was SO dominant in his lone season here.... but then signed a big contract with the Broncos and fizzled out.

I’m sure someone here will come up with the name.I remember exactly who you mean but I can’t think of the name either . I am looking forward to seeing how Anthony Lanier develops.  Anthony really came on strong at the end of last year. He has all the physical tools and a great attitude.

4 hours ago, Die Hard said:

What was the name of that monster DT (6’6) that we signed for 1 season after he was cut from Miami.”?!  He was SO dominant in his lone season here.... but then signed a big contract with the Broncos and fizzled out.

Darryl Gardener?

21 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

It’s why I still am hoping deep down they manage to sign Hankins (assuming he’s not this gigantic fatty mcgee who really let himself go, which is far fetched to me). Man, would that really put it over the top in terms of increasing the chances for an elite unit there, even if certain assumptions don’t pan out (like Allen and Ioannidis continuing to excel and Payne playing up to his potential). Hopefully his price plummets. Would be awesome. 

Nothing can make a team an automatic contender outside of the QB position like an elite Dline. 

Good post, and I was thinking about still going after Hankins the other day.  If we are really in win now mode with a QB in mid-30s, why not go all in?

7 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Dude, I will never forget that guy.  One play, I swear he was getting double-teamed and grabbed a RB with one hand and that was it, play over.

20 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Nah dudes,

Rememeber Dana Stubblefield, Dan “Big Daddy” Wilkinson, and Kenard Lang?

I member.

This isn't like that at all. Stubblefield and Wilkerson were old veterans looking for big paydays.

These players this year are young, hungry up-and-comers. They may not work out, but the potential this line possesses is huge.

The bar is the 2005 D-Line with Griffin, Daniels, Salave'a and Wynn. It's not coincidence that the best D-Line we had produced the best Defense we've had probably since 1991.

On paper, this D-Line does look scary, but if it's anything that the 2005 D-Line showed, names alone won't get it done.

(Side note, I'll never forget the first Tampa game in 2005. Salave'a was a monster in that game.)

18 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

This isn't like that at all. Stubblefield and Wilkerson was an old veteran looking for big payday.

I was young that year, but from what I remembered, Wilkerson actually played well. Stubblefield was the one that screwed us. I was young when I ripped his name off the jersey...

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

On paper, this D-Line does look scary, but if it's anything that the 2005 D-Line showed, names alone won't get it done.

I think this DL looks very solid, but not scary. There is no, one dominant pass rushing presence, just a lot of really good players. I think to be scary, this defense would need a JJ Watt, Calais Campbell, Julius Peppers, style dominant presence added to the mix. But, I'm not saying we need to do that. We can be really solid with what we have if the back 7 turns out and the offense takes some pressure off. 

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

This isn't like that at all. Stubblefield and Wilkerson were old veterans looking for big paydays.

These players this year are young, hungry up-and-comers. They may not work out, but the potential this line possesses is huge.

Big Daddy was not some old vet but a guy who should have been elite just entering what should be his prime. He did have 2 of his best 3 seasons here and was one of the better defensive tackles in 1998 and 1999 (though not what we thought we got). He was one of our starting DT for 5 years! At the time, it actually looked more like the trade for Dave Butz back in 1975, a young DL guy who was not living up to his draft status. After he left us (we tried to keep him), he went on to be a starter for 3 seasons and was a rotational guy for 1 more.  Stubblefield while older when he came here (28), still played until 2003, including 2 years as a starter. In 2004, he was signed by the New England Patriots, but he was injured and got released before the start of the season.

38 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think this DL looks very solid, but not scary. There is no, one dominant pass rushing presence, just a lot of really good players. I think to be scary, this defense would need a JJ Watt, Calais Campbell, Julius Peppers, style dominant presence added to the mix. But, I'm not saying we need to do that. We can be really solid with what we have if the back 7 turns out and the offense takes some pressure off. 

I both agree and disagree here.  We likely don’t have an All Pro lineman on the roster just based on odds, and I think you’re right that we look very solid, but not scary (as of yet).  

On the other hand, Allen has a very high ceiling - almost certainly not to the Watt/Peppers level, but I’d say there’s a chance he could become a Campbell type.  Ioannidas isn’t the well rounded terror those guys are, but vs the pass, for a while there, was ranked as the #2 interior pass rusher.

I think our nickel front - Preston, Allen, Io, and Kerrigan is going to be a handful for a lot of teams... they could actually be one of the best pass rushing units in the league.  They ‘just’ need better production from whoever rotates in for them, and from our 34.  That and good health of course 

Payne, Settle and Lanier appear to offer a lot of potential as well.  Payne especially seems like one of those guys that can make everyone around him better (even if he never becomes a dominant force himself).  

28 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

The bar is the 2005 D-Line with Griffin, Daniels, Salave'a and Wynn. It's not coincidence that the best D-Line we had produced the best Defense we've had probably since 1991.

Our best front 7s were never all that scary on paper.  In the 70s, our most elite front 7 guy often played at around 205.  In the 1980s, only Dave Butz would have stood out on paper and he was the oldest starting DT in his final year!  In 1982, we had an alcoholic at one end and a tweener with a questionable character at the other end (as late as May 1983, we were trying to replace Manley as the starter) though he would show he was more than what paper would say about him, a DT (Brooks) who was decent enough to start but really just the best option we had (a JAG named Grant stepped up and proved he was more than a JAG) and the LBs were made up of two UDFAs and a late round pick. Butz was the only guy who really jumps out but, on paper, he looked like his best years were done.

53 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Our best front 7s were never all that scary on paper.

Yep.

When the Redskins won the Super Bowl in the 1991 season, the only all-pro on that D-line was Charles Mann.

The other players were guys named Marcus Koch, Fred Stokes, and "Jumpy" Geathers.  All good players, but no one outside of Redskin Nation is going to remember. (There was also first round pick Bobby Wilson who played DL that season and ended up not working out).

It would be great if all these young players on the team this season ended up all-pro/pro bowlers, but it's not necessary to have a stout D-line.

Let the hype train continue:

ASHBURN, Va. -- One day last week, as he was watching film, Washington Redskins safety D.J. Swearinger noticed something along the defensive front. It made him smile. The young fellas, Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, weren’t being moved despite two blockers trying their best.

It was only a drill in the spring. Still, it was a welcome sight for Swearinger and the Redskins’ defense.

“I seen both taking on double-teams and not moving an inch,” he said. “That’s impressive.”

That’s what Swearinger wants to see this season when players are in pads. In the past two years, the Redskins have signed or drafted seven players who are expected to start in 2018, and they can finally turn around a perennial problem.

And they selected a guy Swearinger let it be known on social media that he coveted: Payne. He and Allen, returning from a Lisfranc injury, have the defensive players lined up behind them whetting their appetites for what they hope occurs during the season.

“Interceptions go through my mind. The crazy open-field tackles go out of my mind, having to bear down on a guy that hasn’t been touched for 10 or 15 yards goes out of my mind,” Swearinger said. “Seeing tipped balls. In the past when I’ve had a great defensive line, we got tipped balls. I see the DBs being able to play real football and not worry about the run.”

“I’m thinking, just go run and make the tackle,” Foster said. “Guys like that, they’re tough, man. A lot of those offensive linemen aren’t climbing up, so it leaves me and Zach Brown and everyone to run free. Just mirror the running back's footsteps and go make a play, man, because they’re a handful and it’s a scary sight.”

In the five times Foster, Brown and Allen played together last season, the Redskins allowed only 88 rushing yards per game. But when Allen was hurt -- along with Ioannidis, who broke his hand -- the Redskins defense struggled. It exposed Washington's lack of depth up front. And that’s what was behind Swearinger’s tweets before the draft, calling for the Redskins to build up their front.

“I wouldn’t say I was stepping on anyone’s toes,” Swearinger said of his tweets. “Adding players, that always adds depth. Depth in the front is always great. Your 2s have to be as good as your 1s. It’s not taking shot at anybody, but it’s healthy for our entire defense when you’ve got multiple guys up front.”

But he wanted Payne.

"I was vocal about him," Swearinger said. "I know the guys were telling me about Vita [Vea]. I got an eye for an athlete ... and I just felt [Payne] was an athlete first. You can teach any athlete X's and O's. So I felt he was a great pick for us. Seeing him out here is unbelievable. They can't move him up front. He's very solid. He's got an NFL body already."

“We’re going to be a dominant defense,” Allen said. “If we can stay healthy and do what I know we can do, there’s nothing stopping us.”

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Our best front 7s were never all that scary on paper.  In the 70s, our most elite front 7 guy often played at around 205.  In the 1980s, only Dave Butz would have stood out on paper and he was the oldest starting DT in his final year!  In 1982, we had an alcoholic at one end and a tweener with a questionable character at the other end (as late as May 1983, we were trying to replace Manley as the starter) though he would show he was more than what paper would say about him, a DT (Brooks) who was decent enough to start but really just the best option we had (a JAG named Grant stepped up and proved he was more than a JAG) and the LBs were made up of two UDFAs and a late round pick. Butz was the only guy who really jumps out but, on paper, he looked like his best years were done.

I'm so jealous that you're naming D-Linemen from the Super Bowl team and I have no idea who you're talking about. I want a ring. :(

3 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

I was young that year, but from what I remembered, Wilkerson actually played well. Stubblefield was the one that screwed us. I was young when I ripped his name off the jersey...

Didn't Wilkerson have a 90 yd interception return for a TD during which he got so winded, Darrell Green had to push him the final 10 yards or so?

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

I'm so jealous that you're naming D-Linemen from the Super Bowl team and I have no idea who you're talking about. I want a ring. :(

DT was Perry Brooks, a 7th round pick by NE but played his whole career in DC.  He passed about 8 years ago in Woodbridge. Mat Mendenhall was the guy with the alcohol issues. 1982 was technically his last year but he actually was with the squad until 1984.   Big brother of UVA head coach.  in any case, this is in part why I laugh when I hear someone say such-and-such team has a SB roster.

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Didn't Wilkerson have a 90 yd interception return for a TD during which he got so winded, Darrell Green had to push him the final 10 yards or so?

:rofl89:Little Darrell Green pushing Big Daddy across the field.

14 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I would say Charles Mann stood out during the 80s. Four pro bowls, he was a force,particularly when paired with Manley.

Archived