Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

20 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

... What I’d like to see different this season is more blitzing, but disguised like Alabama does. It could be a LB, a safety, or a corner. The concept is so simple, but you need excellent athletes who can perform other players’ roles while they are blitzing. I think the word on the street should be that any QB is going to get punished when playing the Redskins. I want those opposing QBs to be in absolute fear. 

Triple like.  We have the horses to dictate to offenses.  It's just a matter of trying.  Its a real back breaker when a bend dont break gives up a TD.  It just all becomes so predictable.

No blitzing, giving up 9 yard cushions on first down. Once a team gets inside our 25, we predictably blitz, and the world knows its coming, and the QB hits his hot route.  We then play zone once they get inside the 10, also predictable, and TDs are a coin flip at that point. It is so demoralizing to give up at TD after a 99 yard drive. Proclaiming holding them to a FG is a victory.  The defense, on the field for 10 minutes, our offense ice cold. The fans, dead silent - no energy at all. Crappy field position for our cold offense over and over after the kickoff or missed FG.

I want to see Jay unleash the defense at least once to start the year, test the waters!  Make teams at least game plan for it, if we never intend to use it extensively.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If I see soft 8 yard cushions on 3rd and 6 I'm going to break something.

Heck, when I see soft cushions in first down....  I'd swear those Ron Lynn years we gave up 9 yards on first down over and over so often, that I am convinced it was all by design.

DCs have to change things up IMO. BDB has its merits as they can get lucky and hold teams to 6 FGs but I want to see it all. Tight man to start a game. Knowing the OC will adjust, back them off on the 2nd drive. Blitz the corner showing tight man on the 3rd drive. Make like difficult on QBs and OCs by being aggressive and unpredictable. Do not worry about milking the clock to compliment our feeble offense. Going for sacks/turnovers is a much better plan.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Triple like.  We have the horses to dictate to offenses.  It's just a matter of trying.  Its a real back breaker when a bend dont break gives up a TD.  It just all becomes so predictable.

No blitzing, giving up 9 yard cushions on first down. Once a team gets inside our 25, we predictably blitz, and the world knows its coming, and the QB hits his hot route.  We then play zone once they get inside the 10, also predictable, and TDs are a coin flip at that point. It is so demoralizing to give up at TD after a 99 yard drive. Proclaiming holding them to a FG is a victory.  The defense, on the field for 10 minutes, our offense ice cold. The fans, dead silent - no energy at all. Crappy field position for our cold offense over and over after the kickoff or missed FG.

I want to see Jay unleash the defense at least once to start the year, test the waters!  Make teams at least game plan for it, if we never intend to use it extensively.

If you want to see confused QBs, and/or obliterated QBs, we need to hire Venables or Wilcox. It’s unbelievable what those coaches are able to get out of college kids in limited hours. If a football genius is an actual thing, those guys are two of them.

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

How does our defense look with the short-intermediate 8-12 yard passes over the middle? I only watched cut-ups of the Bengals game but it seems like that area was constantly getting exposed. 

Looks like we are playing to prevent the Hail Mary. To our coaches credit, we have not given up a successful Hail Mary thus far. I must say, I’d prefer to see more of our players on the television when these intermediate passes are routinely completed against us, but that may be nitpicking.

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

Looks like we are playing to prevent the Hail Mary. To our coaches credit, we have not given up a successful Hail Mary thus far. I must say, I’d prefer to see more of our players on the television when these intermediate passes are routinely completed against us, but that may be nitpicking.

Not only is this hilarious, it concerns me deeply. Those Falcon and Saints games last year still torture my soul, the lack of awareness and adjustments by Greg Blotch in those games was sad sight to see.   

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Not only is this hilarious, it concerns me deeply. Those Falcon and Saints games last year still torture my soul, the lack of awareness and adjustments by Greg Blotch in that game was sad. 

The lack of speed is troubling, that’s why I’m irrationally excited about the possibility of adding some speed to our back 7 after cuts are made. Maybe we can just have Apke run sprints across the screen as soon as the ball is snapped.

15 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Through film study Charlie Casserly was pleased with what he saw from Montez Sweat last week.  He was stout against the run, and apparently had a tackle that I didn’t see.

Casserly also seemed critical of Tim Settle saying he hasn't made the leap they expected.  I noticed PFF slammed his performance last week.  He supposedly had a good camp.  So not sure what to make of any of that.

Maybe Settle was injured when they graded him. They have no idea. They also have no idea of his job from play to play.  I have to imagine the PFF sample size was damn small.  And I bet Settle didn't show off all his dance moves.

Look at a Kerrigan. It takes him an entire game to get .5 sack.  Without that half they would likely grade him low, yet Kerrigan was setting up the OL all day for that spin inside, which worked.

I appreciate PFF for trying to put out stats. but a DT in a quarter of play - the eye test will suffice. It still amazes me that it took THIS long for anyone to even try to compile stats more than what we have seen our entire lives. Cripes even lowly hockey had advanced stats long before the NFL. There weren't even salary cap tracking websites until recently. Of course the cap was a joke and easily circumvented by teams drowning in cash, but still.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I appreciate PFF for trying to put out stats. but a DT in a quarter of play - the eye test will suffice. It still amazes me that it took THIS long for anyone to even try to compile stats more than what we have seen our entire lives. Cripes even lowly hockey had advanced stats long before the NFL. There weren't even salary cap tracking websites until recently. Of course the cap was a joke and easily circumvented by teams drowning in cash, but still.

The football community is the least advanced of our species, this is my blood. 

Back to Settle, I thought he looked like crap. I was going to search through my post history and delete everything good I had said about him before some clever ESer found out how much I had praised him & used the threat of screenshots against me to extort nudes. But, I’ve been doing keto for 3 weeks, I’m comfortable with my body. 

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

The football community is the least advanced of our species, this is my blood. 

Back to Settle, I thought he looked like crap. I was going to search through my post history and delete everything good I had said about him before some clever ESer found out how much I had praised him & used the threat of screenshots against me to extort nudes. But, I’ve been doing keto for 3 weeks, I’m comfortable with my body. 

I don't think he should have slimmed down as much as he apprently did. 320ish is a good playing weight for him

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Did Holcomb and SDH miss the game again?  JHC was in and seemed like a beat slow to fill in gaps.

Ryan Anderson flashed a bit from what I saw, which admittedly was sporadic.

I didn’t see SDH either.  He might have been in there, but I don’t remember him getting his name called.

I could watch DaRon Payne work gap to gap on some hapless guard all day.  He hits his fits with such speed that if you blink at the snap it looks like he's teleported.  He can take a false step and still beat the lineman to the point of attack.

He is a giant block of quick twitch musculature.

Archived