Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

Collectively, it's one of the youngest we've had. The group is also incredibly talented. Combine the two, and it really does make a fan excited. Plus, they have one hell of a position coach to develop them from pro potential to NFL-ready performers. Tomsula is the real deal. I just hope that we don't squander much more of their time by leaving them under the ultimate direction of both Manusky and Gruden.

19 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

5 out of the 7 are absolutely ferocious. Our ILb’s  May hold us back from being truly special. But dam if I’m not thrilled at what we’ve built up front. Heres is to them taking steps forward this season. Hoping SDH can really make a difference this year. 

I'm really encouraged by this group. I think the D could be a real strength this year. Like you, I'm less enthused about the ILBs, but I'm also quite intrigued to see how Ryan is gonna do coaching that group. I had the feeling that KO was just with the team too long; time for a fresh start for both.

Honestly, I think it's damn good... But not a single pro-bowler yet correct?? And that's such a watered down accomplishment.

Seriously, we love their talent, but they need to start making the league fear them and change games. Get a couple all pro nods as well. Than I'll say we have a ferocious D line

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Honestly, I think it's damn good... But not a single pro-bowler yet correct?? And that's such a watered down accomplishment.

Seriously, we love their talent, but they need to start making the league fear them and change games. Get a couple all pro nods as well. Than I'll say we have a ferocious D line

I think Allen will be a pro bowler this season, given how he did last year and assuming he continues to improve. He had a better 2018 season than a couple of guys who made the pro bowl as interior DL for the NFC (Hicks and Short). 

I think Sweat is a guy who has All Pro potential...a true freak who could end up being a consistent game changer. That's something we've sorely lacked on our defense for a while now. 

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

As strong as the starters are, the depth behind them is suspect.  The only guy I feel comfortable having to play is Settle.  But if Ioannidis or Allen go down, which has happened the last couple years, next man up ain't gonna work.

If you can find issue with this unit, I can’t imagine what you think of other roster positions. 

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This just in, there's not really depth anywhere.  Maybe RB and TE, I guess.

Skins Dline depth is as good as it gets in the NFL. Skins depth has actually proved to be solid over last few years, as team is most injured and still overall average in performance. 

This team has plenty of holes but the defensive front is not one of them.

I would guess there's less than ten teams in this league that wouldn't trade their entire defensive line for ours straight up and that number is probably lower.

We've done an outstanding job of drafting starters while also acquiring excellent potential for the rotation, if you can't be excited about this defenses potential then you're even more jaded than I am.

Not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand we have what appears to be very little depth at the position so this seems absolutely crazy to do before training camp even starts, I mean what if we have several injuries during camp and foster is gone, what then?

But on the other hand I like that the coaches think were good enough at the position to release a starter from last season pre-camp, hopefully they know a lot that I can't see.

I'm not happy with this because it was handled terribly from the start. Zach Brown, while not awesome, was much better than Mason Foster. Cut Foster, keep Brown. Now we have Jon Bostic and Hamilton as our best LBers. I'd get Zach Vigil on the phone. Even Vigil was better than Foster.

34 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand we have what appears to be very little depth at the position so this seems absolutely crazy to do before training camp even starts, I mean what if we have several injuries during camp and foster is gone, what then?

But on the other hand I like that the coaches think were good enough at the position to release a starter from last season pre-camp, hopefully they know a lot that I can't see.

I think it’s a sign that the staff is happy with the development of SDH JHC and how Holcomb looked in OTAs. To go along with Bostic. Didn’t JHC put on 20 pounds or something crazy like that? He’s always flashed to me. And Jay called SDH one of most improved players. Personally I thought Foster was a pretty good player, but he’s becoming a dinosaur in today’s NFL. We’ll be better off with some more speed in there I think. 

Archived