Vanguard

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Recommended Posts

On 5/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, Bonez3 said:

He is probably the most explosive defender Redskins have drafted since Arrington. Bailey, Orakpo, Kerrigan all were/are good to great players but this kid has 'explosive talent' all over the field. Only Arrignton compares based on film highlights. This really desn't mean a lot (see Arrington, who was outperformed from a career spect by Kerrigan), but damn, we got a special player here.

Sean Taylor was after Arrington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think so.  in my view the D line was good but a bit overrated by some heading into last year because in my view they were missing an elite type speed rusher.  But I think Sweat likely changes that.  

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think so.  in my view the D line was good but a bit overrated by some heading into last year because in my view they were missing an elite type speed rusher.  But I think Sweat likely changes that.  

 

 

 

 

I thought CJ Mosley signed for too much money. Now, I wish we had signed him and kept Swearinger. We'd have potentially the best defense in the NFL with those two on top of the Foster, Collins and Sweat additions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allen's seen as a favorite from 2017 coming into this year. 

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-favorites-entering-year-3-in-the-nfl

 

DI JONATHAN ALLEN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS (74.4)

Injuries and inconsistency have kept Allen from reaching his maximum potential in the NFL, but what he’s done is still extremely impressive. His 11.7% pass-rush win rate leads all qualifying interior defensive linemen from the 2017 NFL Draft, as does his 9.3 pressure percentage and 51 total pressures. He is easily the best interior pass-rushing talent in the 2017 class and is within reach of elite play if he can improve his game-to-game consistency and stay healthy.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jonathan Allen is one of the smartest DLman we've ever had. The dude doesn't even look like he tries on many of his sacks, yet he gets to the QB on a consistent basis. How? He just finds gaps and uses his hands to swat away arms before he gets engaged and when he is engaged he's mostly the one in control. So he simply just uses leverage to get by his man when engaged. He wont overpower you like Ioannidis, hes not a physical speciman like Payne, but he understands how to beat his opponent. To me, he seems like our potential defensive captain, as an outsider looking in I think he would make the best one. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

I thought CJ Mosley signed for too much money. Now, I wish we had signed him. 

 

I agree. Would have been a fantastic pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Considering how often we’ve lamented a lack of a speed rush, a whole lot of those sacks came after the qbs were forced to step up in the pocket.  On a related note (also from those videos above), I was also surprised how often coverage played a hand in getting to the quarterback.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many people talking about Settle.

He reportedly had a good offseason.

Around the same time in Ioan's career, he had a great offseason of workouts and the next season was his breakout.

Imagine if Settle stands out this year. This will be a great rotation. And one that we will want to renew when all the contracts come up.

Gonna be hard to afford them all. Nice thing about these rookie contracts.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

I agree. Would have been a fantastic pick up.

Too bad the buffoons had to overpay for Average Alex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Foster, Allen, Payne & Sweat may each prove to be top 5-10 players from their respective classes.

 

 

 

 

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you put 8 in the box...you'll have something like this:

Ryan Kerrigan

Jonathan Allen

D Payne

Sweat/Anderson

Re.Foster

Hamilton/Foster

Landon Collins

 

Theyd man up with Norman, Dunbar, DRC.

 

Seriously smells like Napalm in the Morning! Smells like...Victory! 

 

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Too bad the buffoons had to overpay for Average Alex.

Not really, that's foosball bro.  Had he stayed healthy they'd have made the payloffs in his first year and surprised us all. 

Contract was only 23.5M per year on avg.  They just gave him too much guaranteed...and Fuller. No worries, that's the Skins man.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

My problem is coaching 

 

I'm concerned that hurts this defense more than anything. 

Well if you like what the defensive line did last year then it will only get better.  I'm not a Rob Ryan fan but he does know ILBers. I'd agree with the defensive play calling being a negative. Hopefully we get an uptick in desquising tendensies across the board, however, I'm bullish on the intelligence of Hamilton and I think there's more speed.  Should translate into more 3rd down holds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, volsmet said:

Foster, Allen, Payne & Sweat may each prove to be top 5-10 players from their respective classes.

Factor Ioan & Settle into this as well.  Kinda hard to not be excited. Hail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not many people talking about Settle.

He reportedly had a good offseason.

Around the same time in Ioan's career, he had a great offseason of workouts and the next season was his breakout.

Imagine if Settle stands out this year. This will be a great rotation. And one that we will want to renew when all the contracts come up.

Gonna be hard to afford them all. Nice thing about these rookie contracts.

 

Settle really could be special. I think he'll be good this year, but I don't think he has a shot at being Ioannidis caliber or better until year 3. Ioannidis is a good comp, but Io came in with a ton of muscle. He put up 30 reps of 225 at the combine and one of his scouting reports, memorably, referred to Ioannidis as a, "muscle shark".

 

I think Settle has pro-bowl potential, but I think that is going to be this year. I always expected that Settle needed 2 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program. His body was sloppy and his workout numbers were terrible. He had a 23.5 inch vertical terrible speed numbers and didn't even do the bench. Watch the video below. His drill work is sloppy and he literally slips twice, and falls once. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000925045/Tim-Settle-s-full-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

 

Imagining this defense in 2020, with a 2nd year Haskins and one more draft and FA period, is scary. Sweat will be in his 2nd year and Settle his 3rd. Allen, Payne, Foster, Collins, Ioannidis, Moreau, Dunbar, etc will all still be in their primes. I think there is a real chance that Sweat could be an All Pro caliber player and Settle an Ioannidis caliber player, but better against the run. Imagine our defense if that comes to pass. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dream is that in 2-3 years we go on a 2007 Giants like Super Bowl run fueled by Haskins in the clutch Eli mode and a dominant DL/pass rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My dream is that in 2-3 years we go on a 2007 Giants like Super Bowl run fueled by Haskins in the clutch Eli mode and a dominant DL/pass rush.

 

I have absolutely imagined those NYG playoff runs fueled by incredible DL play. 

 

Also, I don't think Reuben Foster gets talked about enough. He could be out of the league in a couple of years, but it's not a stretch to think of him as an All Pro caliber player. We really need a CB1 and just a solid FS. Fingers crossed for Montae. Add a star CB, this defense could be top 5 for 5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

I have absolutely imagined those NYG playoff runs fueled by incredible DL play. 

 

Also, I don't think Reuben Foster gets talked about enough. He could be out of the league in a couple of years, but it's not a stretch to think of him as an All Pro caliber player. We really need a CB1 and just a solid FS. Fingers crossed for Montae. Add a star CB, this defense could be top 5 for 5 years. 

Foster is the biggest gamble of the D. He could be the stud in the middle that makes it all work, or a complete bust which in turn makes the D flop. We also still need a quality FS but the CBs are solid and Collins is a stud SS(albeit a little overpaid but whatever).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the SB Ravens 2000 I think could be the best comparison. Dominant run game and insane defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Foster is the biggest gamble of the D. He could be the stud in the middle that makes it all work, or a complete bust which in turn makes the D flop. We also still need a quality FS but the CBs are solid and Collins is a stud SS(albeit a little overpaid but whatever).

 

We were a top 5 defense for a while last year until we kind of fell apart. If Foster becomes an all-pro we're staring at a legitimate top 3 defense (talent-wise) capable of being the best depending on matchups and how good the offenses we faced were in comparison to the other top defenses. This is probably the most excited i've ever been about our defense tbh. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Imagining this defense in 2020, with a 2nd year Haskins and one more draft and FA period, is scary. Sweat will be in his 2nd year and Settle his 3rd. Allen, Payne, Foster, Collins, Ioannidis, Moreau, Dunbar, etc will all still be in their primes.

 

The only one I'm not sold on is Moreau. He's not bad. And he's definitely good on ST.

But I'm not convinced he's going to be a solid nickel/slot corner. Plus we seem to keep bringing

in a large amount of corners overall, to compete, either through drafts, supplemental drafts, and even UDFA...last year it was Danny Johnson grabbing a roster spot, and this year we just signed our 2nd 6'3 Corner, in Deion Harris from NDS. The other being Alexander. Plus Holsey comes back from injury and we don't know what we have in him. Moreland probably makes the roster.

 

We are very thick at corner, and I think more than one of our backups from last year, probably won't be back.

Sorry, I know this thread was about the Front. But the mention of Moreau sent me on a tangent.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, Kerrigan is ridiculous.

 

 

 

Comparisons:

 

16 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Too bad the buffoons had to overpay for Average Alex.

 

While giving away Fuller. Brutal. 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Foster is the biggest gamble of the D. He could be the stud in the middle that makes it all work, or a complete bust which in turn makes the D flop. We also still need a quality FS but the CBs are solid and Collins is a stud SS(albeit a little overpaid but whatever).

 

I think Foster is a lock to be a top 5 lb if he’s on the field. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, volsmet said:

I think Foster is a lock to be a top 5 lb if he’s on the field. 

Yeah Foster is always going for the kill shot and knocks himself out of games.  He needs to play more mature and avoid silly mistakes that hurt the team, on the field and off the field.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.