Vanguard

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Recommended Posts

To answer the original question, Our 87 4-3 D line would be the best I think we ever had. This 3-4 "D" front 7 has a chance to be better. They need to win a super bowl to prove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

Agree, you can't let elite QB's sit back and pick you apart, because they will do just that. Timing is everything and I would like to see us get in their faces more. 

 

The Devil's Bargain with blitzing elite QBs like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees is that they read them pre-snap too well.  Disguising them is a real issue.  If their OL is weak, then I think it's better to just play coverage and trust your DL to win their match ups.

 

The problem for us against New Orleans was that their OL won for pretty much the entire first half, plus Brees was on a mission, and plus our secondary had a ton of breakdowns.  It also didn't help that the refs decided to allow some holds and we made some bad bail out penalties on the few drives we actually managed to stop them.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

The Devil's Bargain with blitzing elite QBs like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees is that they read them pre-snap too well.  Disguising them is a real issue.  If their OL is weak, then I think it's better to just play coverage and trust your DL to win their match ups.

 

The problem for us against New Orleans was that their OL won for pretty much the entire first half, plus Brees was on a mission, and plus our secondary had a ton of breakdowns.  It also didn't help that the refs decided to allow some holds and we made some bad bail out penalties on the few drives we actually managed to stop them.

 

 

Whats even more maddening was it was 6-3 at the end of the 1st quarter.  It was working... then we stalled with ball control on offense and we just couldn't hang.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41.8

In 2018, Ioannidis has been in on 230 snaps for the Redskins defense, which is just over half of the total action. He's generated 5.5 sacks on those 230 snaps.

So, that means the third-year player drops a QB once every 41.8 snaps. That number is actually better than the one posted by these top sack-getters around the league (Donald currently leads the NFL in sacks, while the rest are tied for second):

Aaron Donald: 424 snaps/10 snaps/sack every 42.4 snaps
Von Miller: 408 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 51 snaps
Jason Pierre-Paul: 429 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 53.62 snaps
Danielle Hunter: 442 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 55.25 snaps
Dee Ford: 467 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 58.38 snaps
JJ Watt: 484 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 60.5 snaps
Myles Garrett: 566 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 70.75 snaps

Ioannidis isn't too heavily involved in Washington's nickel defense, which is why his snap count is lower than the players listed above.

But when it comes to sacks-per-snap, none of those elite guys can match him. On a per-play basis, he's been more productive than Aaron Donald, Von Miller and JJ Watt — stars who are regarded as some of the most feared defenders of this decade.

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/impressed-matt-ioannidis-these-three-numbers-will-make-you-even-more-impressed

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while I'm in favor of giving Smith time to get things done, and I have seen him get some decent pressures, I also wouldn't mind seeing a line of Kerrigan, Payne and Ioannidis on the inside and Allen at the other end

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope our 1st or 2nd round pick this year goes to the front 7 again. I want a stud ILB with range or a speed rusher. Whether we keep Preston Smith or not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I want a stud ILB with range or a speed rusher.

Agreed.  I want both of these with our first two picks.  People will opine for LG or a WR, but I want to build the defense.  Not sure about the high end talent at ILB in this draft, but I wouldn't cry if we drafted a corner either.  

 

I'm a defensive guy.  Our defense has been trash for far too long.  We're on the cusp of having an elite defense.  Time to bring back the ****ing boom stick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Agreed.  I want both of these with our first two picks.  People will opine for LG or a WR, but I want to build the defense.  Not sure about the high end talent at ILB in this draft, but I wouldn't cry if we drafted a corner either.  

 

I'm a defensive guy.  Our defense has been trash for far too long.  We're on the cusp of having an elite defense.  Time to bring back the ****ing boom stick.

I'm with ya. Defense first always. I actually enjoy this offense. Run the ball and dont **** up. Let the D run the game and control the tempo. 

 

I admit I grossly underestimate the importance of a CB. I'm a LB and Saftey guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm with ya. Defense first always. I actually enjoy this offense. Run the ball and dont **** up. 

Agreed.

 

And while I’m in here, to all our ES talent gurus who were mad we picked Payne....

 

LOLOLOLOLOlOL.?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta go BPA.  Might be a DL, might be a LB, or might be a DB.  But it could easily be an OL or WR/TE or hell, even a running back.  The DL class is so strong this season that good players at those other positions are going to get pushed down because of a likely first round DL run.

 

What I'd like the most is for the BPA to be a QB but I haven't seen any QBs I really like this season and I am pretty sure we're not going to draft one anyway.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gotta go BPA.  Might be a DL, might be a LB, or might be a DB.  But it could easily be an OL or WR/TE or hell, even a running back.  The DL class is so strong this season that good players at those other positions are going to get pushed down because of a likely first round DL run.

 

What I'd like the most is for the BPA to be a QB but I haven't seen any QBs I really like this season and I am pretty sure we're not going to draft one anyway.

 

I agree.  I think we should go best player available.  A real legit impact player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Agreed.  I want both of these with our first two picks.  People will opine for LG or a WR, but I want to build the defense.  Not sure about the high end talent at ILB in this draft, but I wouldn't cry if we drafted a corner either.  

 

I'm a defensive guy.  Our defense has been trash for far too long.  We're on the cusp of having an elite defense.  Time to bring back the ****ing boom stick.

 

we still have some young talent developing in those spots, we need to spend some attention where the cupboard is bare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carex said:

 

we still have some young talent developing in those spots, we need to spend some attention where the cupboard is bare

We have no young talent at ILB or edge rusher.  Try again.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We have no young talent at ILB or edge rusher.  Try again.  

 

None? Really?

 

Yeah, can't agree with that. Anderson and SDH have flashed in limited reps.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We have no young talent at ILB or edge rusher.  Try again.  

At ILB..JHC or SDH could develop nicely and if nothing else one of the two could start in the next couple of years. I think edge rusher and defensive depth is needed.(everywhere). The rest can go to the offense...line..TE..WR...developmental  QB..etc. I would say corner but who knows how Adonis..Fabian develop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Area51 said:

Imagine how good this line could've been if we would've kept Anthony Lainier...?

 

OMG.  I had a problem with that move from the start.  I can't remember where I posted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I like both players, but neither would keep me from drafting over them.  

You like them, but we have no talent there? Ok........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

 

OMG.  I had a problem with that move from the start.  I can't remember where I posted it.

 

Lol I didn't like the move either but he had an injury and I'm not sure if he's on another team right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.