Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

This teams needs Galette...like asap. I get that McPhee is a good against the run but that is duplicative with Anderson's skillset. This team needs a speed rusher in the worst way.

I think Josh is gone after this season. Too much cap room he is taking up that could be used to extend Ioannidis and others instead.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trade anyone half-assing on game days. I'm serious, these players know who's not giving it their all out there. The Saints are not 24 points better than us, I actually respect the fact that this is how JA plays and hes speaking out about the effort. Hes saying this because you know he sees guys half assing it out there on the field and in practice. Josh Norman is one of those guys I'm sure. Preston Smith is probably another. The dude has the talent to easily be a 10 sack a year player and cant get a single sack in 4 games. 

It was embarrassing.  My view was that he was off balance as he was going for the back and then had to sort of lunge backwards to get his hands on Hill.  He essentially got run over, but Hill’s run through a whole bunch of arm tackles.  So for me (well... for him), embarrassing, but I’m not mad about it. It did feel a bit emblematic of the game though.  

9 hours ago, zoony said:

Just curious how is Vita Vea or whatever his name is doing?

He got in versus the Bears but didn’t log a tackle according to NFL.com. Mostly been hurt. 

Also, love Jon Allen’s attitude. He and Daron play with heart every single game and take this **** very seriously. And he’s damn right about how Cam and the Panthers don’t care about how we feel going into this Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Preston Smith got run over by a freaking backup read option gimmick QB. That says all you need to know. Let his sorry ass walk this offseason.

That’s not the way I saw that particular play.Smith was falling down already as Hill was running by. Not saying Smith hasn’t stunk it up so far this year but when Whitten or which ever announcer said that he ran over Smith it wasn’t the case. I watched the replay and  I could see that Smith’s momentum already had him falling backwards. That being said, you would think in a contract year Preston would be showing a lot more than what we’ve seen. If there isn’t a turn around with Smith the Redskins probably  need to let him walk next season.

18 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Remember the Oakland game last year when Allen and Ioannidis just collapsed the pocked and Zach Brown was stuffing the run? They add Payne and I expected that defensive front and then some. I have no idea why it isn't happening but it's pretty clear that it is not happening. They don't stuff the run and they don't get push up the middle in pass defense. When was the last time a Redskins defensive lineman knocked down a pass?  And this was supposed to be the team's strength. 

It's gonna be a long year folks.  

Zach Brown is not having a good season so far. I don't care what PFF says, he looks off to me. Mason Foster is too slow and I think needs to be replaced for a younger/faster player down the line. They're both hitting the wrong holes constantly and tackling players after they've already gained about 5 yards. 

Pretty solid grades by Cooley for the D line, not so much the rest of the team.  I think its interesting what he said about Ryan Anderson, hopefully, the coaches are seeing the same and give him more opportunities.

Saints Game - Cooley's Defensive Line Grades

Payne - 87 - really good, impressed by his overall play this year, took on lots of double teams, 2 QB hits, 1 sack and 4 tackles.
Allen - 84 was pretty good, also took on lots of double teams lacked pass rush.
loannidis - 70
Kerrigan - 74
P Smith - 71
R .Anderson - 86 - only had 11 plays but he played well and he needs more reps.

I'm down for benching Preston Smith in favor of Ryan Anderson. Preston is practically invisible and has effort issues. Ryan Anderson Is a 2nd pick and we should see how he is as a starter. A trial period if you will because Smith is not good right now, although he probably is the more talented player. 

Matt has cooled off. He would be hard pressed to top last years effort and it seems like he has even regressed some, or is maybe battling an injury.

Preston getting run over a QB ain't what it used to be folks. When he gets run over by Drew Brees or RG3, let's talk. 6-2 220 is a proper running back frame and he got caught leaning the wrong way/was already half seated IIRC.

Allen is quickly becoming a team captain. If he is not, he should be named one asap. 

Not a good nickname but. BAM BAM

tenor.gif?itemid=4128719

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Matt has cooled off. He would be hard pressed to top last years effort and it seems like he has even regressed some, or is maybe battling an injury.

Preston getting run over a QB ain't what it used to be folks. When he gets run over by Drew Brees or RG3, let's talk. 6-2 220 is a proper running back frame and he got caught leaning the wrong way/was already half seated IIRC.

Allen is quickly becoming a team captain. If he is not, he should be named one asap.

I think Matt is a good player, just not against the run. The Saints OL is the best we've played so far by far. They're a very underrated group, I wouldnt judge our DL solely based off this game. Saints line is very likely a top 5 group by the end of the season in experts eyes 

On 10/10/2018 at 2:59 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Zach Brown is not having a good season so far. I don't care what PFF says, he looks off to me. Mason Foster is too slow and I think needs to be replaced for a younger/faster player down the line. They're both hitting the wrong holes constantly and tackling players after they've already gained about 5 yards. 

Yep. I have barely noticed him this year. Last year, it was hard to miss him.   I suspect he has been asked to read this year more. Or as I like to say, read, (late to over) react and get run over.  A little too much bend don't break.  I want to see him aggressive at the LOS.  Attacking the offense is how defenses roll now. Its not 1980.

Manusky may be testing the waters to see how BAMBAM does and has dialed back Zach's aggressiveness.  Maybe he is on the mend.  We are 2-2 so the sky is not falling.

Yet.

12 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Pretty solid grades by Cooley for the D line, not so much the rest of the team.  I think its interesting what he said about Ryan Anderson, hopefully, the coaches are seeing the same and give him more opportunities.

Saints Game - Cooley's Defensive Line Grades

Payne - 87 - really good, impressed by his overall play this year, took on lots of double teams, 2 QB hits, 1 sack and 4 tackles.
loannidis - 70
Kerrigan - 74
P Smith - 71

Especially considering Cooley previously wasn't a Ryan Anderson guy.  Just going off topic a little I wonder what's up with Nicholson, PFF grades him as one of the worst safeties in the league.  Casserly has beat him up.  I haven't listened to Cooley's review on defense but heard his one on offense.  Did he like or not like Nicholson do you recall?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Especially considering Cooley previously wasn't a Ryan Anderson guy.  Just going off topic a little I wonder what's up with Nicholson, PFF grades him as one of the worst safeties in the league.  Casserly has beat him up.  I haven't listened to Cooley's review on defense but heard his one on offense.  Did he like or not like Nicholson do you recall?

He pretty much crushed them, you know Cooley, he's never going to go all out and destroy a Skins player but he had nothing good to say, many times he seemed dumbfounded and confused by what the inside backers and the safeties were trying to do.

Heres all the defensive grades. I made better notes for the offensive breakdown but was paying a bit more attention.  He spent a lot of time talking about the poor play of the inside backers as well as Montae and Swearinger.

Defensive Grades

Payne - 87 - really good, impressed by his overall play this year, took on lots of double teams.
loannidis - 70
Kerrigan - 74
P Smith - 71
Brown - 65 - rough day
Foster - 65 - rough day
Montae - 64 - rough day
Swearinger - 60 - really rough day
Norman - 64 Mostly for mental mistakes and poor awareness - Bree's didn't target Norman, they went away from him all game. Thomas had no catches on him.
Dunbar - 68 - 6 targets 5 were receptions, he needs to tackle a bit better, Cooley thought the penalty against him was BS and the noncall that would have been in favor of Dunbar was also BS.
Moreau - 75 - Played well, needs to be in man coverage.

Jonathan Allen is showing himself to be the type of leader that teammates should want to play hard for.  Settling for defeat is something that doesn't sit well with him.  These are the types of players that the Redskins have lacked for years.  It is his ilk that can help turn a perpetually losing franchise into a winner.

His anger is music to my ears.

Archived