Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

Our front was Alabama HEAVY on Sunday.  Allen and Payne got a vast majority of the snaps. 

BTW I am predicting Ryan Anderson scores in week 13.

The next time Kerrigan gets choked out I want to see him try a move. Spin, swim, try and toss the OL... the random calls are nice but we shant expect any for the next month. Or 2.

Kerrigan is the last player on the team I would be critical of. If he goes and entire season and only has three or four sacks then I would  agree that he had slowed down. It’s just way too early to say anything like that  however. The two holding calls that he drew should have been a minimum of three,as I saw him being mugged without a call early in the game. 

When I saw Ioannidis's sack on Rodgers: (https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1043923291327680512/video/1)

I immediately thought of this pressure from Justin Smith in 2011: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpPz72Z4Ik)

Both awesome.  As this is a Redskins fan forum, and acknowledging that one is a sack and one just "pressure", I think I can predict the answer to this question, but which do you think is better?

Man... we need to go all in on a elite pass rushing OLB next year. Should have some space with cuts and such. Build around this D, the D-Line is in place, the ILB's are solid. Smith is a JAG and Anderson is developmental role. I would go DB in round 1 and empty bank on OLB in FA

10 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Man... we need to go all in on a elite pass rushing OLB next year. Should have some space with cuts and such. Build around this D, the D-Line is in place, the ILB's are solid. Smith is a JAG and Anderson is developmental role. I would go DB in round 1 and empty bank on OLB in FA

Dude .... what about OL?? Cmon! DB in mid rounds.

4 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Preston Smith is a JAG?

Hes not Von Miller... but I don't think it's fair to call him a JAG... 8 sacks last year when Kerrigan had 13 and we had ZERO interior push was still Top 10 in the league when looking at LBs.  He'd actually have more than 1 already this year if it wasn't for how good Allen is... Smith was there when Allen sacked Rodgers, he just played his position correctly and kept contain to prevent Rodgers from breaking the pocket.  

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Dude .... what about OL?? Cmon! DB in mid rounds.

Wouldn't argue that, but look at our mid round OL, Moses-Roulier, both highly effective. Christian in development as we speak. If we drafted a stud, can't miss OG I wouldn't bat an eye.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Preston Smith is a JAG?

Hes not Von Miller... but I don't think it's fair to call him a JAG... 8 sacks last year when Kerrigan had 13 and we had ZERO interior push was still Top 10 in the league when looking at LBs.  He'd actually have more than 1 already this year if it wasn't for how good Allen is... Smith was there when Allen sacked Rodgers, he just played his position correctly and kept contain to prevent Rodgers from breaking the pocket.  

Little harsh to prove a point... we need elite as a cornerstone piece in this D. 2 above average to 'pro bowl' OLBs is not enough. Get that blue chipper and see what happens

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Little harsh to prove a point... we need elite as a cornerstone piece in this D. 2 above average to 'pro bowl' OLBs is not enough. Get that blue chipper and see what happens

There is a part of me that feels like Smith can be that guy.  Kerrigan is still playing at a high level with 13 sacks last year, but he can't keep that up forever.  I feel like we're going to see that transition and passing of the baton if Smith gets re-signed.  With this interior line, we could see a completely different Smith. 

My other concern with going all in on an 'elite' pass rushing OLB next year, is that it will kill our options in 3-4 years when our own studs need to get paid... 

22 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Wouldn't argue that, but look at our mid round OL, Moses-Roulier, both highly effective. Christian in development as we speak. If we drafted a stud, can't miss OG I wouldn't bat an eye.

We need to start thinking OT to replace Trent. I'm not sold on Moses anymore - too injury prone. A young elite OT would compete immediately on the right side and then take over for Trent when he retires.

Geron Christian will never be more than a swing backup (still a good thing, in my opinion).

We need another interior OL that is starting quality. No more Lauvao.

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

There is a part of me that feels like Smith can be that guy.  Kerrigan is still playing at a high level with 13 sacks last year, but he can't keep that up forever.  I feel like we're going to see that transition and passing of the baton if Smith gets re-signed.  With this interior line, we could see a completely different Smith. 

My other concern with going all in on an 'elite' pass rushing OLB next year, is that it will kill our options in 3-4 years when our own studs need to get paid... 

To be honest, I'm a little concerned that both Kerrigan and Smith have gotten off to slow starts given how stout our DL is now. You would think that would take their respective games to the next level.

In this era of excessive flag throwing and advanced metrics, there needs to be a DL/OLB stat (sacks+penalties drawn+pressures) per pass play. Ioannidis has played on something like 30% of snaps and has been extremely disruptive in what feels like the majority of them. If you extrapolated Ioannidis' stats based on a larger time share, his pace would be a stupid number. 

The D-Block nickname is as dumb as Hogs 2.0 and, unfortunately, it may be just as undeserving. Negative nancy here, this defense is still giving up a bad, 4.5 avg per rush. They've just been fortunate to have not faced as many run plays as the rest of the league; the 4th least. The Cowboys, for example, have given up 20 more yards, but they've faced 28 more runs. The total yards has been inaccurately used for judgement, it's like wins for pitchers in baseball, the truth lies deeper. We've faced three bad rushing teams and have given up one of the worst averages. And to pile on, in regard to rushing the passer, this team is near the bottom in sacks. All of that being said, the most important stat is points and we have given up the 2nd least. I believe the weak offenses of the Cardinals and Colts and one-leg Rodgers are more to credit, but this upcoming Saints game will be a true litmus test.

Somewhat related- who would have thought that after 3 weeks, the Redskins would have the most rush attempts?

Yeah, pretty sure I have ADD.

42 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We need to start thinking OT to replace Trent. I'm not sold on Moses anymore - too injury prone. A young elite OT would compete immediately on the right side and then take over for Trent when he retires.

Geron Christian will never be more than a swing backup (still a good thing, in my opinion).

We need another interior OL that is starting quality. No more Lauvao.

To be honest, I'm a little concerned that both Kerrigan and Smith have gotten off to slow starts given how stout our DL is now. You would think that would take their respective games to the next level.

Love the first part....

I was a little concerned as well, til I saw this.

Watch Smith on the first sack.  I referenced it before that he stayed in contain and pushed Rodgers back to Allen.  Smith could have had this sack had he played selfish.  I look at this and between seeing this and hearing the local beat guys giving props for their abilities in run defense, I see where in 8 weeks we could be having a completely different conversation about him.  I have a feeling he's going to go off and it's going to be impressive.  As offenses continue to adjust to try to limit the interior line, they're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere else.... and pretty soon we'll be seeing Kerrigan and Smith lined up 1 on 1 vs a TE more and more often. 

9 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Kerrigan is the last player on the team I would be critical of. If he goes and entire season and only has three or four sacks then I would  agree that he had slowed down. It’s just way too early to say anything like that  however. The two holding calls that he drew should have been a minimum of three,as I saw him being mugged without a call early in the game. 

Dude, Kerrigan, Smith, and Norman deserve criticism for their play in the first 3 games.

People want to be critical of Mason an Brown, but that ain't where are issues are this season.

e

21 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Watch Smith on the first sack.  I referenced it before that he stayed in contain and pushed Rodgers back to Allen.  Smith could have had this sack had he played selfish.  I look at this and between seeing this and hearing the local beat guys giving props for their abilities in run defense, I see where in 8 weeks we could be having a completely different conversation about him.  I have a feeling he's going to go off and it's going to be impressive.  As offenses continue to adjust to try to limit the interior line, they're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere else.... and pretty soon we'll be seeing Kerrigan and Smith lined up 1 on 1 vs a TE more and more often. 

I hope you are right.

6 minutes ago, jbird said:

Dude, Kerrigan, Smith, and Norman deserve criticism for their play in the first 3 games.

People want to be critical of Mason an Brown, but that ain't where are issues are this season.

e

Not really. They are doing their jobs which in turn is allowing others to make highlights. Without Kerrigan and Smith setting the edges properly and keeping their assignments then the guys in the middle would get nothing. Once teams realize they cannot let those guys in the middle go without getting chipped or double teamed, Smith and Kerrigan will start producing flashy plays. But unlike many fans they understand what being a team player means. They do their jobs. 

Norman has been playing very well. People see a play where he gets beat deep - or so it seems and does not have big interceptions and they say he is not playing well. That play deep was all on DJ. Norman trusted him to be there and when he realized he wasn't there it was too late. He chased and looked like he was the problem - but he was oddly the guy doing his job, 

Not sure who has been critical of Brown or Mason. They both have missed a few plays like the rest of the D but overall the entire unit is playing very well. It's been a whole 3 weeks. Let them play together some and get some chemistry. Have some new guys and some guys coming off injury. 

In the meantime the D that people are complaining about is: 

2nd in overall D yds

5th in passing yds

8th in rushing yds 

tied for 2nd in pts/gm

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I hope you are right.

Ryan Anderson needs to get inserted into the OLB rotation to see if we have a viable replacement in the next 1-2 years.

Loyalty needs to be tied to production. No one's job should be safe based on past performance or contract size.

You perform,  you play.

You underperform you play if you are better than your replacement.

You continue to underperform, you split playing time with someone until performance improves.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not really. They are doing their jobs which in turn is allowing others to make highlights. Without Kerrigan and Smith setting the edges properly and keeping their assignments then the guys in the middle would get nothing. Once teams realize they cannot let those guys in the middle go without getting chipped or double teamed, Smith and Kerrigan will start producing flashy plays. But unlike many fans they understand what being a team player means. They do their jobs. 

Norman has been playing very well. People see a play where he gets beat deep - or so it seems and does not have big interceptions and they say he is not playing well. That play deep was all on DJ. Norman trusted him to be there and when he realized he wasn't there it was too late. He chased and looked like he was the problem - but he was oddly the guy doing his job, 

Not sure who has been critical of Brown or Mason. They both have missed a few plays like the rest of the D but overall the entire unit is playing very well. It's been a whole 3 weeks. Let them play together some and get some chemistry. Have some new guys and some guys coming off injury. 

In the meantime the D that people are complaining about is: 

2nd in overall D yds

5th in passing yds

8th in rushing yds 

tied for 2nd in pts/gm

Yea, but if RK, PS and JN were performing we would be:

1st in overall D yds

2nd in passing yds

4th in rushing yds 

1st pts/gm

//srcsm

;) 

On 9/26/2018 at 10:23 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, a pass rusher's job is to get pressure, a receiver's job is to catch passes.  But I don't put most of the blame for Doctson's lack of production on him.  I put it on Smith.  You can't catch a pass if you don't even get a single target.  Smith can't get him the ball even when he gets open.  Doctson is not a good fit in this offense any more.  He's a glorified decoy now.  His only chance to get some targets is to move to the slot but that's where Crowder lines up.

I'm not convinced Doctson is getting open very often. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:15 PM, method man said:

McGee probably comes off the PUP list in 3 weeks. Does he ultimately replace Ziggy Hood on the roster?

Great question.  Isn't there a grace period where a returning player from PUP won't count against the 53?  But regardless, it makes some sense that if McGee is better than Hood that he should take his spot - unless Caleb Brantley gets cut and moved to PS. 

Archived