Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

Pick No. 13: Da’Ron Payne, Washington Redskins

2018 Preseason Grade: 68.2

Payne made his NFL debut last week after missing his team’s preseason opener due to injury. He may have only played 14 snaps on the night, but he immediately made an impact for the team and recorded a sack on one of his nine pass-rushing snaps. He ended his first NFL appearance with a defensive grade of 68.2, the 12th-highest grade among rookie interior defensive linemen.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-grading-all-32-first-rounders-from-2018

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

12th among rookie interior defensive linemen?  Not exactly music to the ears :)

It's PFF.  Amateurs using film from TV angles and not All-22, who don't know the playcalls/assignments, have differing subjective opinions about what constitutes a good play vs bad one, and don't weight for competition.  I wouldn't attribute much of anything to their grades.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's PFF.  Amateurs using film from TV angles and not All-22, who don't know the playcalls/assignments, have differing subjective opinions about what constitutes a good play vs bad one, and don't weight for competition.  I wouldn't attribute much of anything to their grades.

Yeah, I know, I’m not at a reading anything into the grade.... just the way it sounded - 4 qualifiers (rookie, interior, defensive, linemen), and he’s still 12th.  Like, how many of those were even drafted?  Lol.  

PFF preseason are grades carrying the same weight in 1st quarter starter action versus garbage time uhaul bubble guys? That is a statistical travesty! I would expect more from them lol

thats like timing a 40 yard dash where one guy is running down hill and the other up it. 

11 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

PFF preseason are grades carrying the same weight in 1st quarter starter action versus garbage time uhaul bubble guys? That is a statistical travesty! I would expect more from them lol

thats like timing a 40 yard dash where one guy is running down hill and the other up it. 

But when you tilt the camera the right way they're both running flat... 

15 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Its also pre-season where its almost all rookies and the really talented  ones don't get anywhere near the number of snaps as the rest. 

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

PFF preseason grades are worthless because the starters don't play very much. Look at our 5 highest graded guys: 3 of those guys aren't even going to make the roster.

I'm sure you're referring to Blanding and Robertson as "aren't even going to make the roster"

But I sure wouldn't say they have zero chance.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, skinny21 said:

Interestingly enough, I’m sort of wondering the same thing about Ioannidis.  Does the team use him as a straight sub, or do they use him more situationally?  Gonna be interesting to see.  

Well, I surmised in the Welcome Payne thread that Payne is likely a three-down tackle and Ioannidis will be situational, outside the base 3-4. In the Jets game, when Payne had his sack, the Skins were in nickel with, I believe, Kerrigan-Payne-Allen-Smith. Ioannidis is obviously injured but this 4-man front might be the 3rd down front of the future. Trouble is, Ioannidis is really too good to be kept off the field. We may see more 3-4 base in 3rd down situations as well.  Here is a cut from a recent Keim article on Payne:

Daron Payne, DL, first round: So far he’s been everything the Redskins could have hoped for and more. Payne provides a presence in the middle of the defense, thanks largely to his strength. He’ll start at nose tackle and play tackle in their nickel package. “

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36950

Looks like the kahlil mack rumors are really starting to heat up. 

Giants are one of the teams rumored to be interested in trading for him. 

I honestly think we'll have a good defense without him and don't necessarily need his services but you can never have too many pass rushers and if it keeps him from the giants should we consider making a move? 

Maybe a first and fourth plus smith? 

Certainly wouldn't make us worse. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trading a 1,4 and Smith for a guy with less sacks than Kerrigan over the last 4 years doesn't make us worse? OK :ols:

We bring in one old has been superstar and people start losing their minds and going Vinny! 

What do you think mack is worth. 

Originally I was gonna say 1st plus smith but I figured people would think I was crazy that we'd never get him for that. 

History would suggest that dominant pass rushers in their prime are worth that much. 

The vikings gave up that much for Jared allen. 

And I get that you can only have so many huge contracts that's why I think I'd be against it just curious what other people think. 

I’d be worried about the cap space (and how it affects re-signing other guys) if we traded for and extended Mack.  I also have liked our drafts recently and the resulting trend toward a younger team, so I’m not too keen on trading away picks.  We also have a good OLB already in Smith and some interesting depth.  

Probably the the only position I’d consider trading picks for (and spending additional cap on) right now is a LG.  

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What do you think mack is worth. 

Originally I was gonna say 1st plus smith but I figured people would think I was crazy that we'd never get him for that. 

History would suggest that dominant pass rushers in their prime are worth that much. 

The vikings gave up that much for Jared allen. 

And I get that you can only have so many huge contracts that's why I think I'd be against it just curious what other people think. 

I wouldn't trade Payne or Allen and Smith for Mack. 

I wouldn't trade for Mack. We are a top 10 pass rushing team. That's not a problem that needs fixing, especially in such a dramatic way that will cripple the team for years. 

I'd go after a G/C and a FS and that's it. 

PFF:  Short form for PFFFFTTTT

In 2015 PFF once gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade for his performance of:

Rodgers completed 24-of-35 passes for 333 yards and five touchdown passes against zero interceptions, good for a 138.5 passer rating.

https://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/pff-aaron-rodgers-negative-grade-packers-chiefs-mnf-092915

I remember seeing that after the game and I was like, ok cool story bro.

So yeah, there's always that!

In the newly released sports illustrated 2018 nfl preview, Redskins front 7 is ranked 27th in the league, with this tidbit:

"Ryan kerrigan can bend the edge as a pass rusher, but the rest of this front four is suspect.  Much depends on Jonathon Allen and Ryan Anderson, Washington's top 2 choices in the 2017 draft."

I love it!  No respect.  Put it on the bulletin board.  I like how they are flying under the radar. I hope they are able to stay healthy and show the league what they can do.

Btw, not sure why they think a lot depends on anderson.  He is a backup / situtation role player.  This front 7 can still be great with minimal contributions from him.

I like the addition of Payne, its one of the better football names ever.

If we can make this patchwork secondary look good, then yes I will agree that this is the best Dline we have had in years...

I'm going with 2004/5 for now until further notice...

Um, Payne got stood up. Sure, but he didn't get moved off his spot. His feet don't even come off the ground until the back is long gone. If that's what you think "taken to the woodshed" means, I can't imagine what a guy who really gets beat looks like. 

Foster and Swearinger on the other hand looked pathetic. Especially Swearinger. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Um, Payne got stood up. Sure, but he didn't get moved off his spot. His feet don't even come off the ground until the back is long gone. If that's what you think "taken to the woodshed" means, I can't imagine what a guy who really gets beat looks like. 

Yes the offensive lineman didn't pick him uo, carry him to the sidelines and throw him at the head coach, but he was soundly beaten on the play. 

He got lifted turned and held until the running back was long gone. 

My grandmother could have run through that hole and that doesn't happen unless the nose tackle gets owned. 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah Foster was the one I keyed on too.  Payne didnt get abused, but he gave up the inside the flood gates opened.  Vigil did what he was supposed to and Foster ran right past the hole.  It wasn't very good all around.  

Archived