Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I asked a pretty basic question. 

I gave you a very clear answer. Your response to my answer has been nothing but strawman nonsense. Nothing you’ve said has been a coherent response to what I shared with you. 

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's because Anderson was drafted as an edge rusher when he never had the athletic talent or production to justify that pick. He is slow and lacks short area explosion. He is short, but also not long limbed. You don't draft a player in the second round just to set the edge. They won't see the field. And, that's exactly what's happened. Anderson has two sacks in two years and the team has tried to make use of him in some way by trying him at other positions, like FB. I can't think of a team ever playing a good pass rusher at FB. Also, good pass rushers aren't built like FB's. 

Settle is a really big and talented player that DOES have the requisite size to play his position and also is extremely explosive when it comes to short area quickness and gap penetration. I missed the second Dallas game, but apparently Settle may have had the best game of any of our DT's all year in that game. He's young. He's worked hard and changed his body. People have every reason to have at least some hope that Settle can become a real impact defender. 

Thanks. Great answer.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thanks. Great answer.

NP. And, just to be clear, I don't hate Anderson. I love that he is a hard nosed, tough guy that can set an edge. I personally like him and root for him. I'm just pissed at the use of a second.  I just think you draft athletically limited tough guys in the back end of the draft. A ton of pro-bowlers were chosen after Anderson. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Just a long way to say, Talent.

Have you read, 'A man called Ove'? Your posts in this thread today remind me of Ove, if he knew how to use gifs. Curmudgeony but funny. 

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Jay is supposedly an excellent talent evaluator. I think that if Haskins pans out, and we get a real live defensive coordinator, that Jay may look good, but not brilliant. I definitely don't think we are replacing him with anyone more promising, until we make some structural changes as a franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Have you read, 'A man called Ove'? Your posts in this thread today remind me of Ove, if he knew how to use gifs. Curmudgeony but funny. 

Not familiar with the ove. Kooldblue responds to the correct answer with indignation & adamantly disagreeing with things nobody has ever suggested. Blue is in his emotions over Settle being described as more talented than Anderson — there isn’t much you can do with that other than have a laugh.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Not familiar with the ove. Kooldblue responds to the correct answer with indignation & adamantly disagreeing with things nobody has ever suggested. Blue is in his emotions over Settle being described as more talented than Anderson — there isn’t much you can do with that other than have a laugh.

You should read that book. It's really excellent. 

What do you guys see as the trajectory for Kerrigan? He has to fall off at some point, right? He's going to start the season at age 31. Based on historical trends, for a durably player, when should we be expecting to need to replace him?

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m browsing the basic works of Aristotle in search of an explanation for Blue’s posting methodology. It’s not within the rhetoric, it may not be here.

*Terps up 10-7

🙌

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

What do you guys see as the trajectory for Kerrigan? He has to fall off at some point, right? He's going to start the season at age 31. Based on historical trends, for a durably player, when should we be expecting to need to replace him?

Kerrigan's game has never relied on great athleticism.  He wins on strength and technique, which translates well as a player ages.  I expect the Redskins to slowly start decreasing his snap count in the next few years, but I don't expect his production to drop off much when he's in the game.  I honestly wouldn't be in much of a hurry to replace him unless an opportunity that is too good to pass up presents itself in the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

First off nice response about Anderson vs Settle.  I’m rooting for both of course, but yeah... Settle just has a higher ceiling.  I still wonder about playing Anderson inside.  I don’t think it’s a great fit, but I could see it situationally, or maybe if paired with the right partner.  Maybe taking snaps both inside and outside (if warrranted).  

As for replacing Kerrigan, I’m looking hard at guys to develop in the next draft (maybe each of the next two).  Ben Banogu types - a guy that needs developing (ie. not a 1st rounder), but has a higher ceiling.  You hope they develop and give them some situational snaps (like we’ve done with Anderson) and evaluate.  

Just to be clear, I’m not saying avoid a first round OLB/DE, I just have receiver, tackle, corner, safety and ILB ahead of rusher as of now.  That changes if Kerrigan has a major injury of course.  

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@volsmet You just looking for a belly rub or am I interpreting that gif wrong?  :)

I can’t believe you have the nerve to suggest Settle has a higher ceiling than Anderson after digesting Koolblue’s artful dismantling of such a suggestion. I fear for you, but envy the onions.

*I’ll take the belly rub, I don’t want to seem dismissive of that. 

PM sent.

PaltryMiserlyBull-small.gif

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I can’t believe you have the nerve to suggest Settle has a higher ceiling than Anderson after digesting Koolblue’s artful dismantling of such a suggestion. I fear for you, but envy the onions.

Lol.  I hear ya :)

IMO... eh, he was touchy, you’re harping a bit.... I think you guys should just talk about your mutual love of dogs and the Redskins and move on. 😁

I’ll start the dog bonding... one of mine got sprayed in the face by a skunk last night.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

IMO... eh, he was touchy, you’re harping a bit.... I think you guys should just talk about your mutual love of dogs and the Redskins and move on. 😁

When someone is condescending, I harp, it’s a weakness. 

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

*I’ll take the belly rub, I don’t want to seem dismissive of that. 

PM sent.

PaltryMiserlyBull-small.gif

Grow the **** up and get off my back. I asked a simple question. What has settle done that has everyone so excited? Whys that ****ing difficult? I have nothing against him and want him to be great, of course. I asked the difference between two guys with a small sample size. You're acting like a jerk off.

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ll start the dog bonding... one of mine got sprayed in the face by a skunk last night.  

Vinegar. Thanks. I've only got 19 right now. 3 8 week old blue pibble girls, one still looking for a home.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Grow the **** up and get off my back. I asked a simple question. What has settle done that has everyone so excited? Whys that ****ing difficult? I have nothing against him and want him to be great, of course. I asked the difference between two guys with a small sample size. You're acting like a jerk off.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Vinegar. Thanks. I've only got 19 right now. 3 8 week old blue pibble girls, one still looking for a home.

Thanks man.  I did a vinegar treatment, but it was super late at night, so I half-assed it.  Now my house smells like a ganja factory gone wrong.  What’s a pibble?

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's because Anderson was drafted as an edge rusher when he never had the athletic talent or production to justify that pick. He is slow and lacks short area explosion. He is short, but also not long limbed. You don't draft a player in the second round just to set the edge. They won't see the field. And, that's exactly what's happened. Anderson has two sacks in two years and the team has tried to make use of him in some way by trying him at other positions, like FB. I can't think of a team ever playing a good pass rusher at FB. Also, good pass rushers aren't built like FB's. 

Settle is a really big and talented player that DOES have the requisite size to play his position and also is extremely explosive when it comes to short area quickness and gap penetration. I missed the second Dallas game, but apparently Settle may have had the best game of any of our DT's all year in that game. He's young. He's worked hard and changed his body. People have every reason to have at least some hope that Settle can become a real impact defender. 

the Texans put Watt and Clowney in on some of their offenses and not every 3-4 team rushes both OLB

3 hours ago, carex said:

the Texans put Watt and Clowney in on some of their offenses and not every 3-4 team rushes both OLB

You could be right, but I don't see where Clowney has ever played an offensive snap. Watt has played a few snaps as a TE. He's caught 3 passes in 8 years from that position. He's used as a gadget play weapon because of his length and athleticism, which is kind of the opposite of what we are talking about with Anderson. I think there is a decent chance that we might see Sweat used in the same way as Watt at some point. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/j.j.watt/2495488/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/jadeveonclowney/2543456/careerstats

I have a feeling that Montae Nicholson's play at FS could be one of the biggest factors in the performance of our defensive unit this year. Especially with Landon Collins at SS we need someone with range to compensate a little. Seattle's defense showed how a unit could thrive with a bully at SS if the FS has range and there is talent at CB.  With the added pressure we should now be getting with Payne and Settle being in their second years, and the addition of Sweat, we also need solid FS play to take advantage.

I keep harkening back to how high the expectations for Montae were entering 2018. Everyone thought that based on his 2017 tape, he was going to step up and be a strength of the defense. If Montae can actually play like that guy this year, we really could have a fantastic defensive unit. If he sucks or is suspended, I don't think we have another starting caliber FS on the defense. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey man thanks for the advice...I'll remember that if either one of my dogs get hit by a skunk...you should take a look at the pic of my female that I posted in the good juju thread...I know she's part pit bull but can't tell.what the rest of her is

25 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I keep harkening back to how high the expectations for Montae were entering 2018. Everyone thought that based on his 2017 tape, he was going to step up and be a strength of the defense. If Montae can actually play like that guy this year, we really could have a fantastic defensive unit. If he sucks or is suspended, I don't think we have another starting caliber FS on the defense. 

I was on the Montae hype train last off-season, mostly based on what he showed in that Raiders game.  Unfortunately, I don't think he has the instincts / football IQ to be our Earl Thomas, or anything close to it.  He's the Zach Brown of FS's.  And he's injury-prone on top of that.  The FS situation will probably be ugly this year, I've already accepted it.

Sorry if this has been posted but thought it would be worth throwing on here. The team had 46 sacks last year - good for 7th (of course I believe 7 were in one game against the Giants, but still...). And I believe we made our front 7 better during the off season - at least on paper. This could be a really nasty dline if a few things come together. Anyway, fun to watch. 

Archived