Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont think that's the correct meme.

I'm not disagreeing with your post. It was an appropriate meme when stating that the Redskins may become contenders with one more offseason. I'm hopeful of that too...but that meme still came to mind :)

1 hour ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

I'm not disagreeing with your post. It was an appropriate meme when stating that the Redskins may become contenders with one more offseason. I'm hopeful of that too...but that meme still came to mind :)

We've been building for almost 3 decades. :ols:

This better be the best defensive front we've ever had.. we sure have invested in it.

1st

Kerrigan

Allen

Payne

Sweat

2nd 

Sweat

Anderson

5th

Ioannidis

Settle

7th

Brailford

That's a lot of draft capital, and all of it outside of Kerrigan was the last 3 years.. kinda crazy.

7 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

This better be the best defensive front we've ever had.. we sure have invested in it.

1st

Kerrigan

Allen

Payne

Sweat

2nd 

Sweat

Anderson

5th

Ioannidis

Settle

7th

Brailford

That's a lot of draft capital, and all of it outside of Kerrigan was the last 3 years.. kinda crazy.

Not to be too picky but sweat was really two 2nd's not a first and second.

But yeah we've definitely invested in the front 7 on defense and that's a very good thing.

And that doesn't even include the two seconds we used on players that are no longer with the team.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nicknames for our front 7?

Department of Defense?

7 Deadly Skins?

I like just simply giving our 3-man front a nickname right now.

"IPA" (Ioannidis, Payne, Allen) - Well-crafted crew. If Settle comes in and beasts we can just go with IPA'S (Settle)

To me IPA is simple, not over the top, and sounds damn good. 

I cant think of anything for the front 7 honestly. Not sure if the whole unit warrants one yet. 

Hyped to see what Settle can do this year.

Along with getting into better shape, another main goal for Settle is to improve on watching game film. Settle doesn’t just want to be able to get better at watching and evaluating game tape, rather he wants to become a master of it.

“This year I want to focus on knowing how to break down tape by myself, and breakdown everything by myself,” Settle said. “I’m going to get to the point where you can’t tell me anything about tape, I’m going to be on it. Coming up, I didn’t know how to study film and study football.”

Settle’s biggest motivator for getting better at watching tape and improving in all areas is defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

“Jim [Tomsula] knows how to push,” Settle said. “He pushes and I appreciate him so much for that. Without him, I don’t know how I would have handled this year. He’s not going to let up on you, he doesn’t care if you’re tired, if you’re mad, he’s not going to let up on you. He’s like that because he knows how much potential these players have and what we can do. When you’ve got someone like that who’s on your side, backing you up, you’re ready to go to war for anybody.”

https://www.redskins.com/news/after-learning-the-nfl-ropes-tim-settle-is-taking-advantage-of-the-offseason

If we had Aaron Rodgers or any one of the top ten quarterbacks in the league I'd agree with you that we had as good a chance as anybody, but we dont and I'd be shocked as all hell if it happened this year.

We've definitely improved our roster over the last three seasons no doubt but we just put the ingredients in the pan, they gotta simmer for a little while before they're any good.

If haskins works out I could see us being playoff contenders in a year or two but my most optimistic hope for this year is to win the NFC east and maybe a playoff game kinda like the cowboys did last year.

Anything beyond that is certainly possible but highly unlikely and it takes some serious blinders to believe it's likely.

13 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

**** it..I'm ****in saying it..we have the ****ing coaching staff to win a ****ing super ****ing bowl this ****ing year!!..who's with me..come on folks!!.. Superbowl or bust ****es!!

Laughing with you not at you, just to be clear.   🙂  

17 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hyped to see what Settle can do this year.

Edit

I have been a big Settle fan from the start. I actually drafted him for the Washington Redskins in our mock draft. i took him quite a bit early, but I took Guice in the 1st since we draft several weeks before the real draft. After Settle in our draft was a huge fall off in talent - I believed. BTW: I drafted Sean Dion Hamilton also - making that 3 palyers i drafted that real Redskins drafted - still a record I believe 🙂  

Anyway, this kid has a ton of potential and really responds to coaching well. he was challenged by his coaches in V Tech his senior year to lose weight to get more snaps and he last Absalom 30 lbs and was a work out leader, arranging team workouts. He is a humble kid with a huge motor and crazy fast for a guy his size. He was a RB in jr high. Here was my write-up after our draft - Keep in mind I wrote this up April 15, 2018: 

2nd Rd pick #44 overall  – Tim Settle, NT Va. Tech – This will draw some jeers but we had him rated 2nd after Vita Vea. Tim Settle did something very difficult – he took on a challenge from his coaches to lose 30 lbs to increase his playing time and not only did he do that, his productivity increased dramatically. He went from 17 tackles (only 7 solo) – 7 for loss and 0 sacks in 2016 to 36 tackles (21 solo!), 12.5 for loss and 4 sacks! He has a huge motor and is very disruptive at the LOS. He has deceptive quickness and agility. His power is crazy. He can play both NT positions but he does not have to come off the field on passing downs as long as he keeps his conditioning. He can slide into a 3 or 5 tech when we go to a 4 man front. We could see the starters as Allen, Settle, and Iaonnids (honestly in most any order) – add in Lanier for passing downs and an underrated dline from last year should take the next step to being dominating.  If Phil Taylor can stay healthy, including Hood, McGee and maybe McClain (although we are inclined to release him even with the dead CAP – just don’t tell his agent), there should be decent depth unless of course we have the same rash of injuries as last year. Could still use Jonathan Hankins – just saying.

Some may see him as a reach here. But the reality of the draft is that if you have a guy you want where you can take him, you do so. Vea and Payne (although not as big a fan of Payne as others) were already gone. We saw too big a drop after Settle. So we pulled the trigger. Was it early? Time will tell but he fills a huge need with what we believe is a very athletic, coach-able, high motor guy. In all honesty he was not the top of our board but he was close enough that the combination of filling a need and where he was on our board made it a no brainer.

Archived