Vanguard

Is this the best Defensive Front we've had in years?

5 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m pulling for Foster big time. And just think about maybe having Landon Collins in the box on diagnosed run plays.

We will be hitting people in Washington again! 

TaylorHit.gif

Z8dJoXF.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We will be hitting people in Washington again! 

TaylorHit.gif

That was one of my favorite Sean Taylor plays. Separating the receiver from the ball on 4th down after our big 4th quarter comeback. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty amazing to have 5 possible 10+ sack guys (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, Allen, Iaon) and potentially Settle too. 

You have to be pretty selective who you double. Sweat and Ru bring a lot of that missing speed to the front of our defense. Collins is a pretty amazing upgrade as well. Wont be able to just sneak RBs and TEs out into the zone anymore. 

I'm with you there, Payne is the only one I question can get 10+ sacks because of his position only, he definitely has the ability to get there, but it will be tough in the nose. Getting 10 sacks at the NT position would be absurd. I think this year the line takes another jump and becomes dominant. If Settle can come in and be productive and get consistent enough pressure, we could have Allen/Payne at 60-65% snaps and Ioannidis/Settle at 35-40% snaps in our 4-3 base defense keeping everyone fresh. 

Sweat has the potential as well, I'd be pretty surprised if we get good peak seasons at the same time with Kerrigan and Sweat just because of the age and experience difference between them. This is absolutely a championship level DL if they play to their potential. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

That was one of my favorite Sean Taylor plays. Separating the receiver from the ball on 4th down after our big 4th quarter comeback. 

It was also a fumble. :)

• Like 3

If our Oline stays healthy and we continue running the ball well, this D will absolutely terrify people. We're becoming a dangerous team. Finally. Probably one more offseason from becoming legitimate contenders. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Oh hell ****ing yeah that play there sealed the deal for me that Sean Taylor is my favorite football player in NFL history...that play, and the blocked kick recovery return to set up Nick novack for the game winning field goal...aaaaaaand the fumble return for a TD to seal the deal in the win in philthy to advance the skins to the playoffs..

I have a feeling we'll see alot more plays like the ones I described this year..sweat,Ruben foster,(that everyone keeps forgetting about)Collins gonna bring the wood...Payne, Allen, the Greek..CANT WAIT!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If our Oline stays healthy and we continue running the ball well, this D will absolutely terrify people. We're becoming a dangerous team. Finally. Probably one more offseason from becoming legitimate contenders. 

Thank you..I completely agree..I just keep having visions of our defense being so good that QBs won't have time to throw the ball...each play I can see either little 3 yard gaines or just stuffed at the line runs, QBs not having time to scan the field having to complete alot of check downs and screens allowing the offense to gain minimal yards.. excited to see this defense!

Guice is still a huge question mark...but if he can play..and play at 💯 and contribute and we see a repeat of last season from Peterson and Thompson balls out are offense could make...just enough noise...

• Like 1

Skins will have a chance to dominate the trenches more games than not on both sides of the ball. 

If Smith were healthy, they’d have a chance to be in the thick of it, but we’ll have to see what Case and company will provide. Not sure Case has the patience and overall game management to win grind it out games that’ll be required next year. 

19 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Thank you..I completely agree..I just keep having visions of our defense being so good that QBs won't have time to throw the ball...each play I can see either little 3 yard gaines or just stuffed at the line runs, QBs not having time to scan the field having to complete alot of check downs and screens allowing the offense to gain minimal yards.. excited to see this defense!

Guice is still a huge question mark...but if he can play..and play at 💯 and contribute and we see a repeat of last season from Peterson and Thompson balls out are offense could make...just enough noise...

Yea, but we have Guice insurance.

Maybe deep down inside Love has healed, and if Guice shows some hiccups in his recovery, Love makes a "sudden" complete recovery to fill Guice's shoes.

Wait, why are we talking about RB in a DL thread ? lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Skins will have a chance to dominate the trenches more games than not on both sides of the ball. 

If Smith were healthy, they’d have a chance to be in the thick of it, but we’ll have to see what Case and company will provide. Not sure Case has the patience and overall game management to win grind it out games that’ll be required next year. 

Wait you don’t say there’s more to being a QB than yards and highlight reel strikes? 

Alex was far from great, and in the end that trade really looks bad. But bottom line is he had us at 6-3 with a 2 game division lead. And I have no doubt that the loss of his leadership, and ability to manage games and not turn the ball over were huge reasons why. The defense practically collapsed once both top QBs went down. Coincidence? Are you really going to go to battle for Mark Sanchez? Play your most inspired ball?

You are absolutely right. I’m actually less sure of being a 10-6 type team this year than I was last. And it’s because of the uncertainty at the QB position that I feel that way. But to tie it back to this thread, THIS team and specifically this defensive front that we’ve been able to assemble over the past few years is absolutely good enough to impact games and carry a less than great QB. If we can run the ball and have a QB good enough to manage the game like Alex, we’ll be something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your D was good last year. Didn't you guys sack us 5 times?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why are ppl excited for this season...Eli came in and routed this defense late in the season, we may be talented but that doesnt mean we have the right ppl calling plays been burned by them too much ill stay cautiously optimistic

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, but we have Guice insurance.

Maybe deep down inside Love has healed, and if Guice shows some hiccups in his recovery, Love makes a "sudden" complete recovery to fill Guice's shoes.

Wait, why are we talking about RB in a DL thread ? lol

Running game is a defenses best friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why are ppl excited for this season...Eli came in and routed this defense late in the season, we may be talented but that doesnt mean we have the right ppl calling plays been burned by them too much ill stay cautiously optimistic

Because we're skins fans and excited for each season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Because we're skins fans and excited for each season.

You guys will probably be better than us this season.

3 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

You guys will probably be better than us this season.

I doubt that man.

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Pretty sure Mark Sanchez starting the game had a little to do with it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm tellin ya, man.

This is the breakout year for your Kapri Bibbs !

We only won 6 games with Rodgers last year and he went down the year before that and we won 7 games. Hard to say what will happen.

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

image.jpeg.ca6ac96b935b666787ee461cb9fc5026.jpeg

• Like 1

For the front seven to be absolutely dominant, those two inside LB positions need to pan out. If Ruben can keep it together w/ his behavior and injury’s it would make all the difference in the world. If RF does step up and ball it makes the second ILB position less crucial. If RF is not reliable, then the ILB could remain a problem.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I'm with you, I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential this defense has and the pieces that are in place but a well coached defense (and relatively injury free) doesn't get their asses absolutely kicked by a team that has nothing to play for.

I dont care if peewee herman started the game for us at quarterback that display of defense ( or lack thereof) we put on in that game was shameful.

It's moments like those in grudens career which are all too plentiful that always make me pump the brakes on my optimism.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 4