Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

19 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a penalty 

What's McKinzy supposed to do in that instance? That's a genuine question, not tongue in cheek. 

Also, Washington is now the 13th ranked defense in terms of total yards. They are 24th in passing yards and 14th in rushing yards per attempt. We definitely should still be adding to this defense. We have a good, but not great DL, and a good pair of safeties. Our LB's and CB's are average. We still need playmakers on defense. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

What's McKinzy supposed to do in that instance? That's a genuine question, not tongue in cheek. 

Also, Washington is now the 13th ranked defense in terms of total yards. They are 24th in passing yards and 14th in rushing yards per attempt. We definitely should still be adding to this defense. We have a good, but not great DL, and a good pair of safeties. Our LB's and CB's are average. We still need playmakers on defense. 

Legally, get up first and tackle around the waist. Cant crawl over and take him out at the knees.

That Anderson quote is awesome 

34 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Was turnovers the reason you guys lost that one or did the Defense have a letdown?

No. creating turnovers is the only way we have to stay in a game with a high powered offense (see Tampa).

We just don't have a great secondary, and teams can throw on it, and score. Offensively, we're not going to be able to keep up if the game becomes anything close to a shooting match. So, if we play Atlanta again, we'd likely loose, and loose the same way.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No. creating turnovers is the only way we have to stay in a game with a high powered offense (see Tampa).

We just don't have a great secondary, and teams can throw on it, and score. Offensively, we're not going to be able to keep up if the game becomes anything close to a shooting match. So, if we play Atlanta again, we'd likely loose, and loose the same way.

You guys beat Carolina and Dallas. Those teams are just as good if not better than Atlanta. It's weird how every NFL team matches up differently with each other.

2 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

You guys beat Carolina and Dallas. Those teams are just as good if not better than Atlanta. It's weird how every NFL team matches up differently with each other.

We barely beat both, and neither team can throw that ball like Atlanta. That is where our defense is weakest, and we're going to give up points. Offensively, we don't score enough to keep up with a high powered offense, and defensively, we are not the 85' Bears, and can shut down even the best offenses.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We barely beat both, and neither team can throw that ball like Atlanta. That is where our defense is weakest, and we're going to give up points. Offensively, we don't score enough to keep up with a high powered offense, and defensively, we are not the 85' Bears, and can shut down even the best offenses.

Lol

We don't even score enough to keep up with a low powered offense.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

3 more turnovers, the rush D is giving up more than they did earlier in the year but they are still solid.  We only gave up 208 yards passing and 16 points, I'll take that all day.

Hopefully, this offense can take some pressure off of them.

*Sigh*

Yes, hopefully.

To take the next step, we'd want to be in this group.  Need that killer rusher to take that next step IMO.  Was watching the Bears last night, K. Mack was a handful, that defense looked a clear peg better than ours.  Our defense doesn't give up points but is middle of the pack in yards -- and isn't good on third down.  Bears stop teams from scoring, stop them from getting yards, the whole deal.  Not saying the Bears have the best defense but using them as an example of a defense that upgraded when they added a top pass rusher.

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To take the next step, we'd want to be in this group.  Need that killer rusher to take that next step IMO.  Was watching the Bears last night, K. Mack was a handful, that defense looked a clear peg better than ours.  Our defense doesn't give up points but is middle of the pack in yards -- and isn't good on third down.  Bears stop teams from scoring, stop them from getting yards, the whole deal.  Not saying the Bears have the best defense but using them as an example of a defense that upgraded when they added a top pass rusher.

I believe our D is seriously missing Dunbar right now.

We're playing Moreau/Stroman opposing Norman and that is being exposed. Greg Manusky does what it can to hide/cover/make up for it, but considering the offenses we got, it's not a big surprise.

If Dunber comes back anytime soon, that could help us bringing more heat and better run D instead of sending Mason and Brown in coverage all too often.

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

We're playing Moreau/Stroman opposing Norman and that is being exposed. Greg Manusky does what it can to hide/cover/make up for it, but considering the offenses we got, it's not a big surprise.

If Dunber comes back anytime soon, that could help us bringing more heat and better run D instead of sending Mason and Brown in coverage all too often.

Moreau is not a liability - otherwise, I agree. These guys would not need to play 20 yards off the line of scrimmage if Stroman / Johnson weren't in

I'm up for keeping Foster in the starting lineup to see what he can do with Dunbar back. If he continues to struggle, I would look to replace him with Zach Vigil, who was pretty solid last year. 

5 hours ago, method man said:

Moreau is not a liability

I don't think he really is, nor Stroman. They're both inexperienced and that's it.

But it's obvious opposing offenses are taking advantages from their inexperience of both. That is a good one and it should really pay dividends next year if they capitalize on that like Fuller once did.

Having Dunbar back would really help our ILBs and allow them to focus on run IMHO.

17 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I don't think either Moreau or Stroman are a liability at this point.  Stroman gave up a couple big plays early but has appeared to settle in quite a bit... he also has only played a handful of games, and has made his fair share of good plays.  He bit on a double move vs Dallas and gave up the TD... he was also put in an unfair situation going man to man vs Beckham on 3rd and a mile with no safety help over the top.  Later in the game he ended up punching a ball out on a really good play to prevent Shepard from making a long gain in that same game.  

We've also been playing a lot of bend but don't break in the secondary because of how good the opposing WR corps have been.  Julio Jones / Sanu / Ridley... Evans / Jackson.... Hopkins / Thomas...  Those are game breakers so my money would be on the idea that we went into those games saying 'dont give up the big play.'  Attempting to keep them in front of us.  I'd say we executed that well vs 2 of those 3 teams with ATL getting the big plays against us.  

8 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't think either Moreau or Stroman are a liability at this point.  Stroman gave up a couple big plays early but has appeared to settle in quite a bit... he also has only played a handful of games, and has made his fair share of good plays.  He bit on a double move vs Dallas and gave up the TD... he was also put in an unfair situation going man to man vs Beckham on 3rd and a mile with no safety help over the top.  Later in the game he ended up punching a ball out on a really good play to prevent Shepard from making a long gain in that same game.  

We've also been playing a lot of bend but don't break in the secondary because of how good the opposing WR corps have been.  Julio Jones / Sanu / Ridley... Evans / Jackson.... Hopkins / Thomas...  Those are game breakers so my money would be on the idea that we went into those games saying 'dont give up the big play.'  Attempting to keep them in front of us.  I'd say we executed that well vs 2 of those 3 teams with ATL getting the big plays against us.  

Yeah, Moreau and Strowman are taking their lumps right now, same with Johnson. They're not playing badly, a few big plays here and there but it should pay dividends in the future. They're showing that the game isn't too big for them.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Well you apparently missed my answer to method man same answer, that I quote here:

10 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I don't think he really is, nor Stroman. They're both inexperienced and that's it.

But it's obvious opposing offenses are taking advantages from their inexperience of both. That is a good one and it should really pay dividends next year if they capitalize on that like Fuller once did.

Having Dunbar back would really help our ILBs and allow them to focus on run IMHO.

They're both young and inexperienced. I think Manusky's trying to cover that, and provide as much help as he could considering the offenses we were facing lately.

Against more run oriented Offenses, it shouldn't be much of a problem and D will revert to what they are good at.

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Well you apparently missed my answer to method man same answer, that I quote here:

They're both young and inexperienced. I think Manusky's trying to cover that, and provide as much help as he could considering the offenses we were facing lately.

Against more run oriented Offenses, it shouldn't be much of a problem and D will revert to what they are good at.

you're right, I missed it... my bad bud.  

20 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Comparing for example Dallas' defense and ours -- their defense is clearly better IMO and judging by most stats.  The difference I think is their middle linebackers.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Comparing for example Dallas' defense and ours -- their defense is clearly better IMO and judging by most stats.  The difference I think is their middle linebackers.

Yes and no, IMO.  Dallas has 10 takeaways on the year to our 21.  

Would be great to have a stud ILB (or 2).  Ours are respectable, and have their strengths, but have their fairly glaring deficiencies.  

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

At least we can count on Lee not playing the whole game. 

Yeah the scary thing is now they don't need him, they have two other beasts

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yes and no, IMO.  Dallas has 10 takeaways on the year to our 21.  

Would be great to have a stud ILB (or 2).  Ours are respectable, and have their strengths, but have their fairly glaring deficiencies.  

We are better at takeaways.  But they are good against the run, pass, points, yards -- the whole drill.  Our defense not so.  I think our D line is competitive with theirs.  I think their MLBs kill ours.  We got the better safeties.  CB a toss up.  

When teams can game plan specifically to exploit our middle linebackers, I think that's a position in clear need for an upgrade.

Archived