Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

There’s obviously a fairly significant correlation b/w the better teams being in Nickel/Dime more, as opposing teams try to throw on them more to catch up. I love that all of our young DL are projected to be capable pass rushers. It’s just so important in today’s game. 

I think it’s generally gone under the radar just how good we were on 3rd down defensively last year. After ranking dead last in 2016, we made an insane leap to top 5. I think it’s something that’s sustainable due to how good our front seven and Manusky is at generating pressure. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2018/alex-2017-season-review

Washington's quiet defensive improvement shows up here too as the Redskins climbed from 17th in ALEX to fourth, and the unit finished third in conversion rate, fourth in DVOA, and first in Short%. In 2016, the Redskins had the worst conversion rate and DVOA on third-down passes.

When we get a chance to put together ALEX numbers on defenses for several seasons, I would like to see how it correlates with pressure rates. We mentioned Washington's stark improvement, and it probably isn't a coincidence that the Redskins ranked first in pressure rate (37.7 percent), according to Sports Info Solutions (subscription required). 

The link also has QB ALEX numbers for those interested. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think it’s generally gone under the radar just how good we were on 3rd down defensively last year. After ranking dead last in 2016, we made an insane leap to top 5. I think it’s something that’s sustainable due to how good our front seven and Manusky is at generating pressure. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2018/alex-2017-season-review

Washington's quiet defensive improvement shows up here too as the Redskins climbed from 17th in ALEX to fourth, and the unit finished third in conversion rate, fourth in DVOA, and first in Short%. In 2016, the Redskins had the worst conversion rate and DVOA on third-down passes.

When we get a chance to put together ALEX numbers on defenses for several seasons, I would like to see how it correlates with pressure rates. We mentioned Washington's stark improvement, and it probably isn't a coincidence that the Redskins ranked first in pressure rate (37.7 percent), according to Sports Info Solutions (subscription required). 

The link also has QB ALEX numbers for those interested. 

Got to give Tomsula a lot of credit too.

Settle looks fit. There were knocks about his weight, but he actually looks like he should fill out a bit more. Allen needs to teach him how to do calf raises.

Also, glad to see Phil at camp. I thought that he may have been throwing in the towel when he wasn't in attendance the first week. If his body holds up, he'll make the team.

1 hour ago, Guardshock said:

Look at Phil's arms!!! WOW.

Dude has put in the work. 

Absolutely... but I gotta say, I’m far more impressed with his midsection.  Wouldn’t be surprised to hear his dropped a good amount of weight to take some strain off his knees.  

I’ve somewhat written him off because of the risk of carrying someone so injury prone, but now I’m starting to think they carry 7 with Hood inactive.  Would be fantastic to have two good players that can play 0/1 tech (Payne and Taylor, with Settle as a potential 3rd), but can also play 3 tech.  With Allen, Io and Lanier, this really could be a heck of a group.  Here’s hoping for good health (even if our depth is the best we’ve had in ages). 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Taylor's knees hold up that will but our defense over the top. I think it'll be good but he's an impact player. I think our D is gonna be special. We're finally building my kind of team. 

Right there with you.  Just hoping Nicholson can stay healthy (don’t really trust our depth behind him) and we sort out a slot receiver.  

Man, there are so many guys I’m excited about on this D.  Even our rotational guys - JHC and Lanier in particular - are really intriguing.  

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Absolutely... but I gotta say, I’m far more impressed with his midsection.  Wouldn’t be surprised to hear his dropped a good amount of weight to take some strain off his knees.  

I’ve somewhat written him off because of the risk of carrying someone so injury prone, but now I’m starting to think they carry 7 with Hood inactive.  Would be fantastic to have two good players that can play 0/1 tech (Payne and Taylor, with Settle as a potential 3rd), but can also play 3 tech.  With Allen, Io and Lanier, this really could be a heck of a group.  Here’s hoping for good health (even if our depth is the best we’ve had in ages). 

The only thing is that they may feel Phil Taylor would be available mid season if Settle or Payne go to IR or are a fail. However, from the numbers on Payne, I could see them kicking him out to 3 tech (Redskins may not like doing that with a rook though) if Ion or Allen get injured or need a rest and Settle might prove to raw to put in as FT nose (or be a total year 1 fail, he was a 5).

11 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Answer the OP. 

To early to tell, but with the personnel we have and Jim Tomsula coaching, things look promising. 

I think things look very promising.  You have to remember how well this D played when it was healthy last year.  Yes there are some question marks.  But we have proven guys, and talented youth.  I have raised my expectations.

Lol, Jonathan Allen is bringing that winning mindset by any means necessary: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/28/josh-norman-apologizes-for-amari-cooper-rant-having-been-duped-by-jonathan-allen/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Josh Norman apologizes for Amari Cooper rant having been duped by Jonathan Allen

It appears Cooper had every right to be confused. Norman told NASCAR driver Ryan Blaney on his “Glass Case of Emotion” podcast that a teammate conned him into thinking Cooper and Crabtree had made boisterous claims they never made. Norman said it was a Redskins defensive lineman than went to Alabama that told him of the comments Cooper and Crabtree never made. The only player that fits that bill is Jonathan Allen.

“Basically, I found out that he lied to me about the whole thing. So I’m like, ‘He didn’t say all that?'” Norman said, via Mark Inabinett of AL.com.

Norman said Allen replied: “Nah, man. I just really wanted to win, man.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 9:38 AM, CTskin said:

Settle looks fit. There were knocks about his weight, but he actually looks like he should fill out a bit more. Allen needs to teach him how to do calf raises.

Yeah he seems to have lost quite a bit of the "bad weight", if he can add on "good weight" and stay healthy he has the other "non teachable" abilities to be not just good but special. Lotts ifs, but I like the start he's on at 20 years old. 

Archived