Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

France 24: At least six killed as Guatemalan volcano erupts

visionary

http://www.france24.com/en/20180604-least-six-killed-guatemalan-volcano-erupts

At least six killed as Guatemalan volcano erupts

At least six people were killed when Guatemala's Fuego volcano erupted Sunday, belching ash and rock and forcing the airport to close.

The strong eruption was the second major one this year. The dead were from farming communities just south of the volcano who were trapped by hot lava flow, National Disaster Relief Agency spokesman David de Leon told reporters.

Another 20 people have been injured, and more than 2,000 evacuated near the volcano and several cities, including Antigua. The Spanish colonial-era city is Guatemala's top tourist attraction.

Farmers covered in ash fled for their lives as civil defense staffers tried to relocate them to shelters during the event.

Dense ash blasted out by the volcano -- which rises to 3,763 meters (12,346 feet) -- also shut down Guatemala City's international airport, civil aviation said.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

A cloud of probably poison gas and ash is creeping up and those Guatemalans are stopping to get some cell phone shots.  Fight, flight, or get those likes?    

Even if one doesn't understand the basic nature of volcanoes volcanic eruption related effects, that big dark moving cloud should signal something deep in that noggin.

Pretty crazy that we've gotten two eruptions in populated areas so close together.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Pretty crazy that we've gotten two eruptions in populated areas so close together.

That's what happens when you heavily populate a planet.  Have any idea bad something like Tunguska event would've been if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere?  From what we can tell, that leveled 770 square miles of forest, DC proper is less then 70 square miles.

For clarification, Hawaii isn't part of the ring of fire, that is an interesting coincidence, though, techtonically, that's about it.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's what happens when you heavily populate a planet.  Have any idea bad something like Tunguska event would've been if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere?  From what we can tell, that leveled 770 square miles of forest, DC proper is less then 70 square miles.

For clarification, Hawaii isn't part of the ring of fire, that is an interesting coincidence, though, techtonically, that's about it.

The meteorite explosion in Russia a few years ago is probably as close as anyone's come in recent memory, I think. Something like that would definitely wipe out a big city, though, probably not all at once. People would probably be trapped in crumbling buildings, collapsed tunnels, etc, and just be entombed. Ugly business all around.

16 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The meteorite explosion in Russia a few years ago is probably as close as anyone's come in recent memory, I think. Something like that would definitely wipe out a big city, though, probably not all at once. People would probably be trapped in crumbling buildings, collapsed tunnels, etc, and just be entombed. Ugly business all around.

Depends on if its a cloud bursts or makes it to the surface, lots of iron or mostly ice.  I remember seeing about this on the history channel, totally plausible:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/sodom-and-gomorrah-destroyed-by-a-comet-say-astronomers-1275763.html

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Depends on if its a cloud bursts or makes it to the surface, lots of iron or mostly ice.  I remember seeing about this on the history channel, totally plausible:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/sodom-and-gomorrah-destroyed-by-a-comet-say-astronomers-1275763.html

I assumed that since you were talking about Tunguska, you meant air bursts (is that the same thing or closer to the ground?). Never really heard about the distinction between rock/metal or ice (the link doesn't really mention anything relative to it). I always thought  that anything relatively big coming in at that speed and exploding in the air would just send out a massive shockwave no matter what, certainly enough to take out a major city.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I assumed that since you were talking about Tunguska, you meant air bursts (is that the same thing or closer to the ground?). Never really heard about the distinction between rock/metal or ice (the link doesn't really mention anything relative to it). I always thought  that anything relatively big coming in at that speed and exploding in the air would just send out a massive shockwave no matter what, certainly enough to take out a major city.

I did, there are many ways for space to make your life a living hell. 

It's not just size that matters, its the content of the object.  Comet is more likely to break up in the atmosphere (depending on the size of it) then a rock with a high iron content because its mostly ice and rock.  High iron content is a big deal because that means its less likely to break up and will make it to the surface, not to mention higher velocity on impact. Given stuff is going to come into our atmosphere no matter what we do, even if one of each come in at a long-ways angle versus dead on, the high iron content is more likely to make it to the surface.

Air bursts is bad (basically explodes in the atmosphere instead of making it to the surface), creating the shockwave and raining more material over a large area (Tunguska or what people believe happened to Sodom/Gomorrah because it was widespread damage, but no impact crater).  Ground impact wiped out the dinosaurs, completely different level of screwed because now your talking about seismic waves, material getting thrown into the atmosphere and raining down at high velocity because of how high it got, event triggered global winter, etc.

https://www.history.com/shows/doomsday-10-ways-the-world-will-end/season-1/episode-1  <- Doc on if same asteroid that killed dinosaurs hit same place same way.  Angle matters because of the direction most of the material flung in the atmosphere would land, which in this case, would be North America.

Yeah I get the ground impact stuff, but was curious about the contents of air bursts, in that I'd never heard of the discrepancy between iron/ice,  but now that you explained further (meaning comets are most likely to win gm 3) makes sense. Basically the same as ever. A **** ton of people at some point are gonna die painfully, if we don't kill ourselves first.

Awesome 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah I get the ground impact stuff, but was curious about the contents of air bursts, in that I'd never heard of the discrepancy between iron/ice,  but now that you explained further (meaning comets are most likely to win gm 3) makes sense. Basically the same as ever. A **** ton of people at some point are gonna die painfully, if we don't kill ourselves first.

Awesome 

If it makes you feel any better, something like Tunguska you wouldn't have time for suicide because of the shock wave if your too close.  The Russia one in 2013 no one saw it coming, no warning.

Some natural disasters all you can is tip your cap, cause people aren't gonna not live in places like Japan and SF.  But if scientists say "we know where a lot of these rocks are but not all of them", the reaction cannot be 'meh'.  That and damage to our power grid by solar flares are example of natural disasters we can get ahead of, but excuses excuses.

I'll tip my cap happily to a solar flare. At least we're all fried sitting ducks.

Our grid integrity in the realm of cyber vigilance is what could keep me up at night.

Whatever scenario, I'd rather it be a direct or near direct hit. Anything else would suck ass. My guess is that 60,000 years from now, we'll be underwater geological sites for mutated fish people

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll tip my cap happily to a solar flare. At least we're all fried sitting ducks.

Our grid integrity in the realm of cyber vigilance is what could keep me up at night.

Whatever scenario, I'd rather it be a direct or near direct hit. Anything else would suck ass. My guess is that 60,000 years from now, we'll be underwater geological sites for mutated fish people

The bold is a huge reason I'm going it cybersecurity.

As for solar flares, we don't turn to friend chicken, our androids would, completely preventable with modern technology (that no one wants to take responsibility for)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

I had a dream once that people moved underwater because water is very good at disipates large amounts of direct radiation, but woke up before we came to the surface to see if we made same mistakes again.  I qould not be shock if we were first species on earth to asteroid coming and die anyways because we couldn't agree how to stop it.  Like GOP says dems are snowflakes on asteroids then cut funding for NASA.

As to these volcanoes, I'm starting to feel like wild fires and flood zones and have serious convoy on habitation there, especially if your damn near middle of nowhere.

How long will this latest Kilauea eruption go on?  117 housed destroyed.  Gonna need some cartographers to make some new maps.

River of lava claims hundreds more homes

PAHOA, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) -A massive river of lava covered hundreds more homes overnight as it poured into the sea, filling all of Kapoho Bay and decimating entire neighborhoods.

Among the properties destroyed: A second home owned in Vacationland by Mayor Harry Kim.

An early morning U.S. Geological Survey overflight confirmed that lava had completely filled Kapoho Bay, extending .7 miles from the coastline. 

Click on the link for full article and video

Archived