Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you see current society playing out? Headed towards Civil War Lite?

TheGreatBuzz

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

So basically a Day of the Rope scenario is how a modern civil war plays out in America? 

So basically I had never heard of that until about 30 seconds ago so I'm not going to say a firm yes.  But from a quick read, I think it's possible something like 30% of that.  NOTE that I said possible,  not probable.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, The Almighty Buzz said:

So basically I had never heard of that until about 30 seconds ago so I'm not going to say a firm yes.  But from a quick read, I think it's possible something like 30% of that.  NOTE that I said possible,  not probable.

Turner diaries was quite popular in the south when I was growing up. I wonder why? 🤣

It's pretty much what I've expected out of the neo Confederates for 30 years. It's their ultimate fantasy. I doubt they steal a nuke n use it like in the book but I guess anything is possible. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Turner diaries was quite popular in the south when I was growing up. I wonder why? 🤣

It's pretty much what I've expected out of the neo Confederates for 30 years. It's their ultimate fantasy. I doubt they steal a nuke n use it like in the book but I guess anything is possible. 

I've mentioned in the past but if you're interested,  check out the podcast It Could Happen Here.  Listen to the first episode.  And again, I'm just saying possible not probable.  I don't expect a car accident but I still wear my seat belt 

• Thumb up 1

‘These are conditions ripe for political violence’: how close is the US to civil war?

Americans are increasingly talking about civil war. In August, after the FBI raided Donald Trump’s Florida home, Twitter references to “civil war” jumped 3,000%. Trump supporters immediately went online, tweeting threats that a civil war would start if Trump was indicted. One account wrote: “Is it Civil-War-O’clock yet?”; another said, “get ready for an uprising”. Lindsey Graham, a Republican senator from South Carolina, said there would be “riots in the streets” if Trump was indicted. Trump himself predicted that “terrible things are going to happen” if the temperature wasn’t brought down in the country. Perhaps most troubling, Americans on both sides of the political divide increasingly state that violence is justified. In January 2022, 34% of Americans surveyed said that it was sometimes OK to use violence against the government. Seven months later, more than 40% said that they believed civil war was at least somewhat likely in the next 10 years. Two years ago, no one was talking about a second American civil war. Today it is common.

Are America’s fears overblown? The most frequent question I get asked following my book How Civil Wars Start: And How to Stop Them is whether a civil war could happen again in the US. Sceptics argue that America’s government is too powerful for anyone to challenge. Others argue that secession will never happen because our country is no longer cleanly divided along geographic lines. Still others simply cannot believe that Americans would start killing one another. These beliefs, however, are based on the mistaken idea that a second civil war would look like the first. It will not.

If a second civil war breaks out in the US, it will be a guerrilla war fought by multiple small militias spread around the country. Their targets will be civilians – mainly minority groups, opposition leaders and federal employees. Judges will be assassinated, Democrats and moderate Republicans will be jailed on bogus charges, black churches and synagogues bombed, pedestrians picked off by snipers in city streets, and federal agents threatened with death should they enforce federal law. The goal will be to reduce the strength of the federal government and those who support it, while also intimidating minority groups and political opponents into submission.

We know this because far-right groups such as the Proud Boys have told us how they plan to execute a civil war. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:29 AM, The Almighty Buzz said:

I'm not dumb enough to believe anyone who claims to KNOW what is coming.  Sorry if you thought I was.  But they do make compelling arguments. 

Totally lost track of this convo last week, probably cuz the Reds...uhhh, Football Tea.....uhhhh, Commm, whatever, won a game. Won't let that happen again.

No, not pointed at you at all Buzz, just in general. Sorry if that came off as some backhanded insult, I'M not that dumb 😁 Just that people spend a vast amount of their time and energy trying to predict the future. To date the score stands at 0 for successes.

IMO historians are like intel, they can give you a spectrum of possible scenarios, rank them on likelihood, vet them by resources available, etc., but that's about it. Doesn't mean their input isn't valuable, it is, but just that you cannot buy a ticket if you can't even see the board to know what flights are going where.

But we've been here before, as much as people won't or can't see that, we've been through worse. Cold comfort to the dead of course but the balance of forces has been shifting a lot in recent decades and such things only become apparent in hindsight. Right wingers piling up arsenals will be roughly as decisive as left wingers building up TikTok likes. 

We've lost (or had stolen-or threw away) the overarching sense of "Americans", as some amorphous unifying conceptual "we're all in it together" idea that kinda herded us in the same direction, and now we have this morass of social Balkanization where different factions are trying to cobble together their own smaller version of a society to themselves. In many ways we have gotten smaller and greedier and that translates to public actions of zero sum Hunger Games horse****.

I believe we are looking at some dark ass times in the near future but I remain hopeful (kinda) because I know and see a great many people that understand the bigger picture where more pies is the answer, not fighting over smaller slices of one. But I do expect we are going to see bloodshed, a lot of it, and a vast trove of suffering to break people out of their selfish shortsighted illusions. 

So, whattya do? Bunkers and arsenals might give you a woody but are they efficient effective ways to increase your chances of survival? Personally I don't think so, especially since they drag you into a stark binary view of options. Making yourself invaluable, knowing medical skills, being able to raise crops when the trucks stop stocking the stores, understanding how to stay warm in winter or produce potable water, those to me are better strategies, and an important aspect in it is that knowledge and skills transport far better than concrete and ammo. But I digress..........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

But we've been here before, as much as people won't or can't see that, we've been through worse.

Have we?  There are two major things that make this time unlike any time in the past.  The ability to spread misinformation far and wide at the blink of an eye (people have always been stupid enough to believe it but didn't have this kind of access to it).  And the ability for stupid people to travel quickly and cheaply to different areas.

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

believe we are looking at some dark ass times in the near future but I remain hopeful (kinda) because I know and see a great many people that understand the bigger picture where more pies is the answer, not fighting over smaller slices of one. But I do expect we are going to see bloodshed, a lot of it, and a vast trove of suffering to break people out of their selfish shortsighted illusions. 

This is more like what I think we'll see.

Making yourself invaluable,

Being retired military helps amd a former Boy Scout helps.

knowing medical skills,

Like becoming a certified EMT even if you don't plan on working in the field?

I believe it is important to have enough food on hand that that you don't HAVE to go to the store for at least a month.  I think this was hammered into me when I was a kid and we had that ice storm in the early 90s where we were without power for like 11 days.

Water?  How many American cities have had extended periods without drinkable water?  Nice thing about the camper was it had a 70-gallon fresh water tank.  Now, I'm ordering a 55-gallon drum to store water.

To me, being prepared isn't just about waiting for Civil War, Part Duex.  There are a lot of other possibilities to be prepared for.  Remember when people were snowed in on the beltway for like 30 hours?  Guess who keeps blankets, protein bars, etc in their car?

:)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...