Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you see current society playing out? Headed towards Civil War Lite?

TheGreatBuzz

What the Doomsday Clock is really counting down to

One hundred seconds to midnight. That’s the  latest setting of the Doomsday Clock, unveiled yesterday morning by the Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

That matches the setting in 2020 and 2021, making all three years the closest the Clock has been to midnight in its 75-year history. “The world is no safer than it was last year at this time,” said Rachel Bronson, the president and CEO of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. “The Doomsday Clock continues to hover dangerously, reminding us how much work is needed to ensure a safer and healthier planet.”

As for why the world is supposedly lingering on the edge of Armageddon, take your pick. Covid-19 has amply demonstrated just how unprepared the world was to handle a major new infectious virus, and both increasing global interconnectedness and the spread of new biological engineering tools mean that the threat from both natural and human-made pathogens will only grow. Even with increasing efforts to reduce carbon emissions, climate change is worsening year after year. New technologies like artificial intelligence, autonomous weapons, even advanced cyberhacking present harder-to-gauge but still very real dangers.

The sheer number of factors that now go into Bulletin’s annual decision can obscure the bracing clarity that the Doomsday Clock was meant to evoke. But the Clock still works for the biggest existential threat facing the world right now, the one that the Doomsday Clock was invented to illustrate 75 years ago. It’s one that has been with us for so long that it has receded into the background of our nightmares: nuclear war — and the threat is arguably greater at this moment than it has been since the end of the Cold War.

The Clock was originally the work of Martyl Langsdorf, an abstract landscape artist whose husband Alexander had been a physicist with the Manhattan Project. He was also a founder of the Bulletin, which began as a magazine put out by scientists worried about the dangers of the nuclear age and is now a nonprofit media organization that focuses on existential risks to humanity.

Click on the link for the full article

How the zombie apocalypse can help prepare us for real crises
Competition for resources, kidnap and ransom, cannibalism, revenge killing, and all-out war”: the pandemic has provoked some outrageous, atavistic behaviour, but we have at least resisted, so far, the temptation to eat each other.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/how-the-zombie-apocalypse-can-help-prepare-us-for-real-crises-1.4323758

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is really the only part of your post that I disagree with.  I don’t see them hunting down voters.  But I can see them killing local and state level democrats that hold office and the average citizen being afraid to even admit they support any liberal positions in public.

I didn't mean to imply that they'd be hunting down folks but they'd be trying to find ways to intimidate/convert or even sabotage them. 

• Thumb up 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Seems like another good time for a bump.  

How do you think this will pan out?  Will it stay peaceful protests or will we see a good amount of violent resistance to this presumed SCOTUS abortion rights ruling?

It's persumed until they do it, so depends on if Senate does put a bill on the floor like Schumer said they would. 

We will very quickly find out who in the GOP is in danger based on how they vote and their electorates response to it.

So many issues we face that can tear us apart that cannot be addressed with a bill Biden as already said he will sign. 

It would behoove the Dems to make a bill as close to the precedent set by Roe v Wade as they can to better call out anyone who votes against it but agreed with not challenging Roe v Wade precedent, like Collins.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's persumed until they do it, so depends on if Senate does put a bill on the floor like Schumer said they would. 

We will very quickly find out who in the GOP is in danger based on how they vote and their electorates response to it.

So many issues we face that can tear us apart that cannot be addressed with a bill Biden as already said he will sign. 

It would behoove the Dems to make a bill as close to the precedent set by Roe v Wade as they can to better call out anyone who votes against it but agreed with not challenging Roe v Wade precedent, like Collins.

I don't see any way that a bill is actually passed with the current congress.  But that is probably best for the other thread.  I'm seeing a huge uptick in violent rhetoric on social media already.  Curious what people think will happen and more interestingly, what people believe would be appropriate. 

23 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Seems like another good time for a bump.  

How do you think this will pan out?  Will it stay peaceful protests or will we see a good amount of violent resistance to this presumed SCOTUS abortion rights ruling?

I don’t think there will be violent protests. Violence is something that prolifers do to protest abortion rights. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I don't see any way that a bill is actually passed with the current congress.  But that is probably best for the other thread.  I'm seeing a huge uptick in violent rhetoric on social media already.  Curious what people think will happen and more interestingly, what people believe would be appropriate. 

Social Media is not the best place to get the pulse of the nation, it's easy to be outraged from the safety behind an app.

I've brought this up before in the sense of not buying there's enough people in the country that want a civil war to make it happen because of everything that goes into that can't be safely done from the safety of social media.

Pockets of violence more likely then full state on state war.

Remember these smucks?

568d47636abba.image (1).png

Edited by Renegade7

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Social Media is not the best place to get the pulse of the nation, it's easy to be outraged from the safety behind an app.

True.  But social media can also get a bunch of rubes to commit violence when they normally would not have.  See January 6th.

45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pockets of violence more likely then full state on state war.

I don't see this causing a civil war but who knows.  I do think this is big enough to cause more than just peaceful protests in pink **** hats.  But that is what I'm asking.  How do you see it playing out?  And it looks like we have your guess.

I personally think we will see Portland-level rioting in blue cities that are in red states.  And I think those states will respond with an overly-heavy hand.  Possibly Biden having to nationalize the guard in those states pitting him against Governors of those states for a very interesting spectacle.

I think it's quite possible, however I don't at all discount the use of agitators and / or plants to stir up trouble in large protests. 
In my eye, the kid gloves are off, the push is hard and heavy and has been since Trump started his campaign. It surged on1/6 and it will surge again and again until it either succeeds or is dealt with as you deal with an enemy.

I've long felt that civil war will happen here, but it'll not look like what people think "civil war" looks like. We as a people tend to think of war in military terms, we haven't seen war here in 160 years, and even then it formed up into recognizable armies moving and fighting as armies do. But in this "civil war" the big 'set piece' battles will be protests that get violent, much like we saw in the summer of 2020. Those will be "battles".. Rittenhouses and cops vs "Antifa" (or normal people trying to protest for their rights., and it will be decided by public opinion as blown up by the evening generals on cable news... and you can tell by that sentence which one I think will win. 
It will involve terrorism and misinformation, and it will be treated like individual criminal matters by police. They will make arrests and we will say "Whew" and the people that stir them up right out in the open will remain in power. And we will sit here and say that our friends who vote and enable this stuff are OK people, and the lunatics that will hide behind those skirts will prosper because of the typical predisposition of good people to refuse to believe the worst until it becomes a matter of life and death.

I don't know what to do, it's like being on a ship filled with TNT that is caught on a fast tide heading right for the rocks.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I've long felt that civil war will happen here, but it'll not look like what people think "civil war" looks like.

I can't remember if I have plugged this before but I thought it was very thought provoking.   It's a ten part series from 2019.  This is the first episode but I think that season is worth a listen. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/it-could-happen-here/id1449762156

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I don't know what to do, it's like being on a ship that is caught on a fast tide heading right for the rocks

In that situation,  it may be best to be as prepared as possible for what happens once you hit the rocks. 

Brace for impact.

Edited by The Almighty Buzz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't look now, but it's started. 
Buffalo, Uvalde..  Buffalo was a clear act of war provoked by those trying to provoke exactly this sort of war.. and Uvalde still remains to be seen why the cops didn't try to stop the guy. It could be for many reasons, none of which are any good.

It's going to escalate, especially after the DOJ decides what to do with Trump and his cronies. It sure looks to me like they should be arrested, but once you do, it will start. And if they don't, well.. . that could also be the touch-off incident, especially if large scale protests break out and are agitated into violence.  And we won't know it's happening, we'll think it is isolated incidents.. which they by and large will be. 
But this is how terrorists operate. the ones who pull the strings recruit losers via propaganda to do the dirty work.

Ready?

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

Don't look now, but it's started. 
Buffalo, Uvalde..  Buffalo was a clear act of war provoked by those trying to provoke exactly this sort of war.. and Uvalde still remains to be seen why the cops didn't try to stop the guy. It could be for many reasons, none of which are any good.

It's going to escalate, especially after the DOJ decides what to do with Trump and his cronies. It sure looks to me like they should be arrested, but once you do, it will start. And if they don't, well.. . that could also be the touch-off incident, especially if large scale protests break out and are agitated into violence.  And we won't know it's happening, we'll think it is isolated incidents.. which they by and large will be. 
But this is how terrorists operate. the ones who pull the strings recruit losers via propaganda to do the dirty work.

Ready?

~Bang

Yes

• Like 1

Poll: Quarter of Americans open to armed rebellion against government  

A new University of Chicago poll found that over a quarter of a deeply alienated American public, particularly those who identify as Republican, believe that it may “soon be necessary to take up arms” against the government,

The poll, a collaboration between Republican and Democratic pollsters Neil Newhouse and Joel Benenson, respectively, surveyed 1,000 registered voters around the U.S.. A slight majority of those, 56%, said they believed the government was corrupt and “rigged against everyday people like me,” with self-identified Republicans polling substantially higher on that question than Democrats. 

In total, 28% of voters agreed with the statement “it may be necessary at some point soon for citizens to take up arms against the government.” That skewed heavily toward Republicans, with one in three Republicans and 45% of self-identified “strong Republicans” agreeing with the statement. The GOP doesn’t hold a monopoly on the sentiment, though – one in five Democrats agreed, as did 35% of self-identified independent voters.

The belief in armed resistance was loosely correlated with actual gun ownership. About 37% of those who said they had guns in their homes also agreed with the “taking up arms” statement. 

“These really are stunning results, that really go to the depth of the nation’s partisan divide and the extent to which Americans really don’t trust the media to provide unbiased information,” Newhouse said in an interview. “The bottom line is, it’s worse out there than we thought.” 

Newhouse also pointed to the impact of political divides on Americans’ personal lives.

“The data really shows that it has personal consequences,” he said. “People have lost friends. They’ve avoided discussions about politics. They’ve quit social media, they’ve stopped buying a brand because of their partisan views…. They have taken action because of their political experiences.” 

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Over the last few days with the outcome of roe as well as other conservator philosophy I have seen people express disdain towards their country or the anthem 

I am not forcing you to stand or like this country 

But what I'm asking is for yinz to understand 50% of us still think rationally. Recent news won't change my love for America. Tomorrow is NOT a day to be ashamed of. It was not then, and it is not now. 

Many will be drinking harder than usual this Fourth. For though we’ve made it to yet another national birthday (our 246th, we’re getting up there – might be due for assisted living soon), some people seem to think we don’t have many more ahead of us. Not as a unified country, anyway. Not with all the division and rancor and vengefulness and brinkmanship, and even occasional violence. Trends writers seem to enjoy kicking around talk of potential civil war. (Which admittedly, is sexier than writing about spiking supermarket prices.) Or at the very least, they suggest our nation might bisect itself. The Red Gang over here, the Blue Gang over there. While I’m not exactly an optimist by nature, I think America, as heavily armed as we are, is too obese and physically inactive to start shooting at each other and meaning it for sustained periods of time. Thank God for Netflix and fatty foods – lethargy and bloat might be  our best insurance policy."

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, China said:

So at least we have something to look forward to, huh?🤣

I see things pretty as @Bang does. We’re living in our version of the Weimar Republic and what follows isn’t going to be pretty. I’ve just started listening to They Want to Kill Americans by Malcolm Nance and damn if it isn’t dark right from jump, really difficult to listen to. However, he’s highly credible and his expected scenario of a right wing insurgency rather than all out pitched battles rings true. Assuming it’s not further into the book, I also think it’s highly likely that as Bang also theorized, the right uses agitators and police power backed by public opinion favoring a return to “law and order” to implement a police state.

Unfortunately, either way, I think authoritarianism wins out. If one looks at history, popular revolts almost never result in what the people who fought in them envisioned or wanted. So, I think the not too distant future of this country after some degree of bloodshed is Fascist Spain, likely with DeathSantis in the starring role of Francisco Franco. “Oh, but the constitution, separation of powers, etc.” We’ve already seen them subvert all of that with only limited pushback. Next time they’ll push much harder, not to mention that they’ve had a trial run and fixed some of the shortcomings, so that fluff about the US political system amounts to little. I hope I’m wrong but we’re preparing for the worst.