Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you see current society playing out? Headed towards Civil War Lite?

TheGreatBuzz

• 2 months later...

If true, I will probably be glad to be nearing the end of my life in thirty to forty years.  

Physicists: 90% Chance of Human Society Collapsing Within Decades

Deforestation coupled with the rampant destruction of natural resources will soon have devastating effects on the future of society as we know it, according to two theoretical physicists who study complex systems and have concluded that greed has put us on a path to irreversible collapse within the next two to four decades, as VICE reported.

The research by the two physicists, one from Chile and the other from the UK, was published last week in Nature Scientific Reports. The researchers used advance statistical modeling to look at how a growing human population can cope with the loss of resources, mainly due to deforestation. After crunching the numbers, the scientists came up with a fairly bleak assessment of society's chance of surviving the climate crisis.

"Based on the current resource consumption rates and best estimate of technological rate growth our study shows that we have very low probability, less than 10 percent in most optimistic estimate, to survive without facing a catastrophic collapse," the authors write in the study abstract.

Click on the link for the full article

5 minutes ago, China said:

No.

Of course not.  2020 with the worst administration imaginable jus feels like the final warning.

But this ain't the first time I've heard "if we don't turn around we all gonna die".  It's not like we don't know how to, but I'm curious what it's going to look like with the some studies suggesting a population stabilization and possible decline by end of this century.

Anyway, here's some additional food for thought, I think we'll be fine (if we choose to). That's the hard part, obviously, I agree.

Edited by Renegade7

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Of course not.  2020 with the worst administration imaginable jus feels like the final warning.

But this ain't the first time I've heard "if we don't turn around we all gonna die".  It's not like we don't know how to, but I'm curious what it's going to look like with the some studies suggesting a population stabilization and possible decline by end of this century.

Anyway, here's some additional food for thought, I think we'll be fine (if we choose to). That's the hard part, obviously, I agree.

We can't even get people to wear masks to protect themselves; I think it will be an upward struggle to get people to do what's necessary to save themselves from climate change/deforestation/overpollution.

Edit:

People hate mowing the lawn, and it would actually benefit the planet if we got rid of most lawns, but I don't think people will be quick to change their ways:

Designing an end to a toxic American obsession: The Lawn

Lawns are an American obsession. Since the mass proliferation of suburbs in the 1950s and '60s, these pristine carpets of green turf have been meticulously maintained by suburbanites, with grass length and other aesthetic considerations enforced with bylaws and by homeowner associations.

But for nature, lawns offer little. Their maintenance produces more greenhouse gases than they absorb, and they are biodiversity deserts that have contributed to vanishing insect populations. Residential lawns cover 2% of US land and require more irrigation than any agricultural crop grown in the country. Across California, more than half of household water is used outside of the house.

If attitudes toward lawn care are shifted, however, these grassy green patches represent a gigantic opportunity. In 2005, a NASA satellite study found that American residential lawns take up 49,000 square miles (128,000 square km) -- nearly equal in size to the entire country of Greece.

According to environmental scientists, transforming lawns into miniature modular bio-reserves could not only boost biodiversity, but could cut water and petrol consumption and reduce the use of dangerous lawn chemicals.

Yet the question for many homeowners remains: how?

It reminds me of that old joke:

GOD: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But, all I see are these green rectangles.

St. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

GOD: Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week.

GOD: They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS: No, Sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

GOD: Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS: Yes, Sir.

GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS: You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast,they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

GOD: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.

ST. FRANCIS: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

GOD: No!? What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

GOD: And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

GOD: Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

ST. CATHERINE: 'Dumb and Dumber', Lord.. It's a story about....

GOD: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, China said:

We can't even get people to wear masks to protect themselves; I think it will be an upward struggle to get people to do what's necessary to save themselves from climate change/deforestation/overpollution.

They wouldn't have much of an effect anyway by themselves, that's what government is for.

Citizen - "I don't want to wear a mask."

Government - "don't care, mandatory."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/states-face-mask-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Coal Company - "Polluting the environment is the cost of us doing business."

Government - "Guess you going out of business then."

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/14/890814007/biden-outlines-2-trillion-climate-plan

Paper company - "But we need trees to stay in business."

Government - "No, you don't."

https://www.amazon.ca/Green-Field-Paper-Hemp-Heritage®-8-5x11/dp/B002GZAB56?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

They wouldn't have much of an effect anyway by themselves, that's what government is for.

Citizen - "I don't want to wear a mask."

Government - "don't care, mandatory."

We've seen how well that works so far.  To many selfish Karens and Kevins.  

1 minute ago, China said:

We've seen how well that works so far.  To many selfish Karens and Kevins.  

Just getting started with mandatory enforcement in States like Texas, give it time.

I don't care about twitter clips with respect to general population, they'll either get with the program or die.

Now if everyone was acting like Karens and Kevins that'd be different, that's what the entire world is thinking is going on over here, but it isn't.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Just getting started with mandatory enforcement in States like Texas, give it time.

I don't care about twitter clips with respect to general population, they'll either get with the program or die.

Now if everyone was acting like Karens and Kevins that'd be different, that's what the entire world is thinking is going on over here, but it isn't.

I agree with you that's what the government should be doing; however, until Trump's gone, we don't have that kind of leadership.

And I'm not sure I agree with the whole tree/hemp thing in your post.  Trees are a crop like any other.  They get replanted.  And where do you grow hemp...in fields that have been cleared by cutting down trees.

5 minutes ago, China said:

I agree with you that's what the government should be doing; however, until Trump's gone, we don't have that kind of leadership.

And I'm not sure I agree with the whole tree/hemp thing in your post.  Trees are a crop like any other.  They get replanted.  And where do you grow hemp...in fields that have been cleared by cutting down trees.

But they grow much faster then trees, so replanting won't take nearly as long.

Plus, hydroponic makes more sense for what is essential a weed then a tree.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But they grow much faster then trees, so replanting won't take nearly as long.

Plus, hydroponic makes more sense for what is essential a weed then a tree.

There is that, you can certainly grow it in less space than trees if you use various modern techniques.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, China said:

There is that, you can certainly grow it in less space than trees if you use various modern techniques.

Ya, that's my point, I refuse to stress about solutions that are already in the realm of current technology.

It helps me sleep at night, so I'll vote in November for the guy that actually takes this seriously and go from there.

That's only promise I can make here.  That article gives us decades, Trump could be gone in months, plenty of time.

On the no news is good news front:

No signs of large-scale insect apocalypse in North America yet, study says

In recent years, the notion of an insect apocalypse has become a hot topic in the conservation science community and has captured the public’s attention. Scientists who warn that this catastrophe is unfolding assert that arthropods — a large category of invertebrates that includes insects — are rapidly declining, perhaps signaling a general collapse of ecosystems across the world.

Starting about 2000, and more frequently since 2017, researchers have documented large population declines among moths, beetles, bees, butterflies and many other insect types. If verified, this trend would be of serious concern, especially considering that insects are important animals in almost all terrestrial environments.

But in a newly published study that I co-wrote with 11 colleagues, we reviewed more than 5,000 sets of data on arthropods across North America, covering thousands of species and dozens of habitats over decades of time. We found, in essence, no change in population sizes.

These results don’t mean that insects are fine. Indeed, I believe there is good evidence that some species of insects are in decline and in danger of extinction. But our findings indicate that, overall, the idea of large-scale insect declines remains an open question.

For most scientists, the idea of disappearing insects is a foreboding prospect that would have harmful repercussions for all aspects of life on Earth, including human well-being.

When we finished compiling our data sets, at least some of us expected to see broad insect declines.

Instead, the results left us perplexed. Some species we considered declined, while others increased. But by far the most common result for a species at a particular site was no significant change. The vast majority of our species had stable numbers.

At first, we thought we were missing something. We tried comparing different taxonomic groups, such as beetles and butterflies, and different types of feeding, such as herbivores and carnivores. We tried comparing urban, agricultural and relatively undisturbed areas. We tried comparing different habitats and different periods of time.

But the answer remained the same: no change. We had to conclude that at the sites we examined, there were no signs of an insect apocalypse and, in reality, no broad declines at all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently the End of Time must be nowhere near because Glenn Beck thinks it'll be happening soon:

Glenn Beck says the end times are upon us — but ‘I’m always wrong with timing’

Infamous conservative commentator Glenn Beck implied that the end times are upon us.

During his Monday morning show, Beck explained that the world is at the beginning of the “foretold” times, and “evil is washing over the world.”

“I’m always wrong with timing,” Beck said at the beginning of his assessment. “But everybody knows this one is coming. But, I, I, I, believe in my lifetime, and, uh, I think within the next 15 years, I think these are the beginnings of the days that have been foretold. I believe that we could see the days of tribulation in the next five years. I obviously don’t know. People have been planning or have been looking forward to these days for 3,000 years. But evil is washing over the world right now.”

Beck didn’t have any specifics about where his predictions come from, but he urged listeners to know who their sheriff is. He went on to promote the survivalist camp “Fortitude Ranch,” which announced they’re opening “their facilities for a collapse disaster.” The “ranch” offers a membership for $1,000 annually where people can flee to in the event of society’s collapse or rapture. They have 12 locations in the United States, all with “an easy day’s drive.”

Beck didn’t clarify if the ranch was sponsoring his prophecy.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^Apparently at Fortitude Ranch they are preparing for the worst post-election:

Colorado survivalist camp with bunkers, weapons and guard towers prepared for post-election turmoil

A survivalist community in southern Colorado is gearing up for the worst come Election Day.

Fortitude Ranch is activating in “collapse” mode for the first time in its history.

The camp in southern Colorado won’t reveal its precise location, but it plans to welcome dozens of members who are worried about rioting and looting in the streets of many communities and even the possibility of civil war.

“Yes, civil war seems unlikely. You don’t estimate the probability of something like that, but is it inconceivable? Absolutely not. The election could be a real trigger,” said Drew Miller, the CEO of Fortitude Ranch.

Miller has spent years constructing his doomsday compound, which is completely self-reliant and off the grid.

Travel its labyrinth of hallways and you’ll find rooms that at first glance look like nothing out of the ordinary. However, you then notice the guns on the nightstand, the beds that fall from walls and the storage room that isn’t what it seems.

Fortitude Ranch even has a secret underground bunker full of supplies and plywood cots.

“It’s a good 9 feet tall, 16 feet wide, 30-some feet long, and 3 feet of earth covering it,” Miller said.

Miller won’t reveal exactly how many members belong to Fortitude’s two properties in Colorado and West Virginia, but says it’s well over 100 people at each location.

Members pay a minimum of $1,000 a year to utilize the ranch for up to 10 days a year.

It’s a vacation destination in good times and a life-saving fortress for darker days.

The ironic thing is those with lots of money are preparing safe guards and conversions for Climate change behind closed doors, while publicly they don't want the gravy train profits of fossil fuels to stop until they have milked every last consumer of everything they have to give. 

i always make it a point to know where there the nearest well set-up survivalist group is so i know who has the stuff i'll need when the **** hits  the fan but not have to pay for it, plus no one notices or cares when they go missing

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i always make it a point to know where there the nearest well set-up survivalist group is so i know who has the stuff i'll need when the **** hits  the fan but not have to pay for it, plus no one notices or cares when they go missing

Thats why the people who advertise what they have are dumb.

• Like 1