Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will the Redskins roster makeup/strategy be?

carex

I've been thinking about how the Skins might set up their roster and if there's any particular philosophy they might go by.  I feel like young and cheap could be one way

Like if Ryan Anderson plays well enough to be our third OLB then Pernell McPhee might go

Looking at roster breakdowns, with the 50 spots available after the special teamers, I think the Skins keep ten OL, since they'll try to keep Christian off the field, 10 DB, 6 WRs and 6 DL.  That leaves 18 spots for QB, RB, TE, and LB

Nine LB seems like a reasonable number, but looking at our roster we have a lot more potential at ILB than OLB.  On the outside our depth is Anderson, McPhee and Alex McCalister and Pete Robertson.  Inside depth we have Spaight, Vigil, Harvey-Clemons, Hamilton, Vontae Diggs and Jerod Fernandex.  I feel like the ILB have a bit more potential and if any of them can swing out to OLB we might see more of them stick

Down to nine, we could go three, three, three at QB, RB and TE.  But there have been a few year recently we've gone with two QBs freeing up a roster spot.  I'm not sure it we'd need it though.  We've got Reed, Davis and Sprinkle at TE, then Manassah Garner and Matt Flanagan.  And at RB we have carried four at times, but generally only dressed three, our fourth back last year Mack Brown was basically the last guy on the roster and is why he's no longer here since he was cut early.  And I'm pretty sure every one of the backs who could be on the bubble, Kelley, Perine, Bibbs and Byron Marshall(every one but Guice and Thompson) should all be practice squad eligible meaning we could get them back readily

I'm not sure about the positional breakdown and we probably won't have a better idea until training camp and pre season. But I do think with the way QB contracts are, and just veteran contracts in general, that it is absolutely imperative to have as many guys on rookie contracts as possible to balance it out. The best way to create a window to contend without a Rodgers at QB is to string together 2-3 really strong draft classes in a row. And the best way to do that is to have more picks. Which is why I am stoked we have 11 picks next year in addition to what looks to be 2 very strong classes back to back.

First - great thread! Thanks for getting this years started. I did a little research in terms of the mix over the last few years: 

image.png.58c54fc2115977d1fa7133845d8a2b48.png

I left 2014 out as it was Jay's first season. He was kind of left with what he had. Less choice. But starting with 2015 he had more choice.

Kind of interesting that no one position has been the same for the last 3 yrs. It also appears they went light on Oline last year, something I doubt they do this year after all the injuries. Considering they traded for a QB I doubt they go with 2 as Hogan is unlikely to make waivers - if they thought he would, I would think they would have just waited. Very interesting they have added LB each season. I realize much of this has to do with who is in what position. It does show they go with the best 53, not just some mix of positions that is arbitrary. 

QB - 3

Again I just do not see trying to get Hogan onto the PS. The only way they go 2 is if they cut McCoy. And before people thin that's a never going to happen, they could be waiting to see what Hogan looks like in camp. if he is good enough, that is a huge roster spot and $3M. But i do agree it's not real likely. But it is possible. 

RB - 4 

Thompson is coming off major injury. Guice is a rookie. I just do not see them going with just those 2 and one additional. 

TE - 3

No Reed last year and it forced them to look elsewhere. Not sure there are 4 TEs worth keeping on the roster anyway. But I have not looked really hard yet. 

OL - 9

Can't see with 8 again. Injuries decimated the team. Christian makes the 53. This makes that easier. Lauvao may not be on the team long. Ok, that's wishful thinking. A guy can dream can't he??? 

WR - 6

This is a tough one. They went with 5 last year and got by. But no one really stood out. I also think Quinn is going to force their hand here. Lastly, Quick may be out of a job after all. 

DL - 6

I just can't see them devoting more than 6 spots here - unless they go with say 2 QBs or I guess 3 RBs. This could be the biggest TC battle for the final spot. They may just have to go with 7 here. 

LBs - 9 -  OLB, 5 OLB

There is a lot of potential here. I think they like thier 4 OLB in RK, PS, PM, and RA. If you can go with 4 there then you can have 5 at ILB. Hamilton is going to take someones roster spot if he stays healthy. They could put him on IR this year though. Would be interesting to see. If so, Martrell Spaight will likely be the beneficiary. 

DBs - 10 - 6 CBs and 4 S

With all the new guys and youth at CB, and the need at that position. I can see 6 here. That leaves 4 S. The wild card here is Apke. Does he play well enough to be the 4th or do they have to carry 5 to give him a year? 

STs - 3 - This is pretty much a given. 

Offense

Oline - 8-10:  Williams, Moses, Scherff, Roullier, Nsheke, Christian, plus 2-4 more.  This one is very variable and probably depends on who wins at LG, who backs up the C spot, and how versatile the backups are (or need to be).  For example, if Nsheke wins the LG spot, they could just keep Christian, a G and a G/C as backups. If we have 4 tackles (seems likely), how important is Catalina’s versatility?).  After last year, I’d assume they don’t carry as few as 8 though.  My money (as of now) is on Kalis, Catalina and Bergstrom - one of them earning the starting role at LG - rounding out the 9.  

Edit:  wow, I completely forgot about Lauvao... think I’m gonna keep my prediction for now though.  

WR - 6:  Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Quinn, Davis, 1 other (I’m guessing Harris or Quick).  I say 1 (a 6th) more because of how unproven the last two are.  

TE - 3: Reed, Davis, Sprinkle. 

RB - 4: Guice, Thompson, and 2 from Marshall, Perine, Kelley, Bibbs

QB - 2:  Smith, McCoy.  Some potential for Hogan making the roster, though I doubt it.  

That’s 24, with the potential of a 10th olineman making it 25 for offense.  

Defense

S - 5:  Swearinger, Nicholson, plus 3 from Apke, Everett, Smithson and Blanding.  Everett should be safe as a STer and the only one with experience.  Smithson might be the odd man out (because of ST play?) though that would mean just Apke as the backup FS, which is risky.  

Corner - 5:  Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, and then 2 more.  I could be forgetting someone, but I’m torn here - I would think 2 of Holsey, Stroman and Scandrick make it, but ideally... Scandrick backs up on the outside, Holsey and Stroman battle for slot corner 1 and 2.  

ILB - 5:  Brown, Foster, Harvey-Clemons, Hamilton, and either Spaight or Vigil.  Almost have to keep 5 if you want to hold on the JHC.  Risky to have Spaight and Hamilton as your backups due to injury concerns, but I could see it.  

OLB - 4:  We almost always keep 5, but I’m not sure Robertson can make.  

Dline - 6 or 7:  Allen, Ioannidas, Payne, Settle, Lanier, probably McGee, and then probably either Hood or Taylor.  I think this comes down to how Settle performs.  If they aren’t totally comfortable with him playing a big role early, than that’s 2 guys (with Lanier) that are limited.  So in effect, you’re left with 4 guys playing most of the snaps.  

That’s 25 (26 if we keep 7 DL or, though I didn’t mention it, a 6th corner, or 5th OLB for ST).  

I think two big keys are going to be whether coaches trust Settle to get significant snaps, and who wins the LG position.  

I’m guessing Smithson goes to the PS.  I just don’t think they’ll want to risk Apke or Blanding (who might be Swearinger’s eventual replacement) on the waiver wire.  

They could go light at receiver depending on how tough the decisions are at other positions, and whether Quinn and Davis are ready (maybe more so the latter, ironically).  

Great thread.

• Arie might be available by mid-season, so, if that is true, we might PUP him and have sort of an extra roster slot.
  • We can return a couple of guys off IR.
  • Some older vets, not likely to sign elsewhere, can be cut and potentially brought back later.
  • What guys are likely to survive on the PS?

You keep 53, so three slots go to teams only guys (P,K, LS)

Down to 50.  Distribute two deep at every position (4 at RB since you aren't going with a real FB).

First pass:

2 QBs

4 RBs

4 WRs

2 TEs

10 OLs

6 DLs

4 OLBs

4 ILBs

8 DBs

6 Best teamers

Second Pass:

3 QBs

4 RBs

6 WRs

3 TEs

9 OLs

6 DLs

5 OLBs

5 ILBs

9 DBs

Other factors will alter how we actually build our roster and should include who can make it to the PS, manipulation of IR, manipulation of PUP, availability and quality of street guys throughout the regular season.  Don't see carrying guys on 53 just for RS reasons as a factor that should override these considerations.

I tend to favor extra linemen over any other position. They get hurt more often as its easier for those big guys to get lost in the logjam in the trenches and suffer twists, bruises, etc.

I never understood the point of a 3rd QB. If your 2nd string QB goes down your season is basically toast anyway, there is really no difference between a 3rd string and any journeyman guy.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I tend to favor extra linemen over any other position. They get hurt more often as its easier for those big guys to get lost in the logjam in the trenches and suffer twists, bruises, etc.

I never understood the point of a 3rd QB. If your 2nd string QB goes down your season is basically toast anyway, there is really no difference between a 3rd string and any journeyman guy.

Joe Thieseman, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Gus Frerotte and even Cousins spent time as the third QB

1 hour ago, carex said:

Joe Thieseman, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Gus Frerotte and even Cousins spent time as the third QB

Tom Brady was a number 4 on the Pats roster.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

There are 2 guys who can be returned from IR after 8 weeks.  A guy on PUP has to wait 6 games and then can practice for up to 3 weeks before he counts against roster limits. The 47 man game day roster often will only have 6 or 7 active linemen (not including the LS). May not understand it but even when I was a kid, standard active rosters usually carried only 8 or 9 OL so you could keep 3 active QBs. You could argue that IR rules allowed IR guys to practice but that means it would even be easier to go with just 2 QBs (Rypien was able to practice and go to team meetings while on IR).  I suspect that coaches usually believe they can find serviceable OLs available on the street or via IR return and don't think they need as much team practice/meeting attendance for development as a QB while not as likely to be lifted off your PS. Since a development QB seems to need team practice and meetings and a guy on IR can't do that, you can either try to get them through to the PS or keep them on the active roster.

Apparently Gruden's initial roster plan was to keep QB 3 on the PS and he got stung. Best plan now is probably to see if we can develop Hogan, so that is a slot.  If yes, we may have a long-term solution and be able to consider just two in 2019.  If not, use a mid to late round pick on one next year and have to carry 3 in 2019.  Works out we may have a long-term solution. If it fails, 2020 may be the year we really need to go high on a QB and will likely need to consider 3 in 2020.

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think two big keys are going to be whether coaches trust Settle to get significant snaps, and who wins the LG position.

If we can acquire a solid vet LG without a significant injury history, we might roll with 9 or even 8 OL. But if we stick with our current group, we may be forced to keep 10. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I never understood the point of a 3rd QB. If your 2nd string QB goes down your season is basically toast anyway, there is really no difference between a 3rd string and any journeyman guy

I agree. Although, I might keep a 3rd QB if he was being groomed to be a starter in 2 or three years. But I don’t think that’s Hogan. 

I'm really grateful for the positive replies here and the additional info, it gave me some stuff to think about.

I can't see the Skins just going with 8 OL after last year and the fact them trying to stash Reiter and Kalis on the PS the past two years and losing them makes me think they will try not to play games to much.  Nine is only possible if Christian plays shockingly well.  I think most people are expecting him to be less our 53 active player and more out eleventh practice squad member

I think the odds strongly favor keeping three QBs, but it's not 100% set.  Hogan either has to play lights out or stink up the joint terribly to change it

Three running backs might seem to few but if the Skins only dress three RB then any injury becomes an issue for the next game.  Of course they might be able to dress 4.  Take one inactive from each level of the D, 2-3 OL, 0-1 QB and 1 WR and you've suddenly got room, I just don't think that's the way they've done it in the past. 

6 WR seems likely to me now that I've heard what people actually have to say about Quinn.  I expect Harris to have more of an in than Davis.  The fourth RB would replace a QB or OL spot, not a WR

I think if the Skins think highly enough of Settle to basically have to take him they'll be comfortable enough to play him

At LB, I hadn't thought about Hamilton's injury history giving the Skins an excuse to stash him

With DBs, most of our backup safeties are projects of some sort which could lead to some problems.  But with Deshazor Everett being a former CB I could see the Skins working him there some and instead of six and four or five and five we're left with five CB, four S and one swing DB.  This is another instance of the free agent signing potentially being cut loose with Scandrick

Given the wording of the op I immediately thought of some beard concealer ... maybe some eyeliner to make the players look wild and crazy ...(thinking Ben stiller in semi pro)  

but generally I agree with what has been said .. 

the only things i would add are ..

3@QB unless hogan shows nothing 

6@ WR ... Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Harris, Davis,Quinn - I think Quinn makes it here IF he can help on ST pr 

3@TE - a risk but I don’t see a 4 th guy anywhere 

9@ol - Cristian was always not expected to contribute this season but cannot expose on ps. 

3@ RB I think fat rob has to ball out to make the team ( I am thinking Thompson, Perine and Guice... i can see a 4th here Bibbs maybe but it depends on how things shake out otherwise 

24 offence 

7 @ DL Allen, Payne, Lon,Settle, Lannier McGee - I cane see Hood or Taylor making it but as has been said before this is going to be a real battle - sadly Hankins misses out ?

9@ lb 4 OLB ( make me a little nervous - part of me a wonders if we carry a 5 th pass rush option here - maybe turn back to junior) then Brown, Foster, HC, Vigil ( I think Hamlton has to beat out Spaight ( his pro comp) ... but kind of might replace will Compton as the physically lacking but super smart organiser ... I can see HC playing the role of that other guy - something cravings - but with less twitter posts 

10 DB Sweringer, Everette, Nicholson, Smithson, Apke ( must contribute on teams) Blanding might make it but in the box only safety is going to have to kill it to avoid the PS - Norman, Dunbar, Moraue, Hosly ... and I would think Scandrick ( playing the roll of d Hall) - the other 7 th round guy who’s name escapes me might get a shot if he kills it on teams and wins PR job but I envisage Ps for him 

26 defence 

st 3 Witch finder ( Hopkins), Way and what’s his name the long snapper :) 

I'll give it a shot.

QB 3

RB 3 (I think last year proved that you can get a street player plug 'em in and they'll be reasonably successful if in extreme need. My guess would be that Guice, Thompson, and Perrine are the three and the others will be a phone call away and likely not snatched up by another team.)

WR 6 (It'd be cool if someone unexpected rose here. I keep waiting for Maurice Harris to fulfill all those flashes, but maybe it's Davis or some UDFA)

TE 3

OL 9 (I have a sneaking suspicion that we get a starter off a waiver wire cut during June cuts or at least that we really want to. Worried about the quality of our depth here, but feel pretty good about our starters.)

DL 7 (Everyone else is saying six, but it just feels like we might have a talent overload here and if we keep rotating guys one more will be useful.)

IL 4 (I could see more here. I can also imagine some surprise cuts and reshuffling here.)

OLB 4

S 5 (Hoping that an unexpected name or two emerges here.

CB 6

ST 3

The biggest wildcard for me is who emerges from training camp that we don't know about. It's surprisingly easy to pencil in all the names right now, but some young guys should push out some old guys. Some should emerge that the team just shouldn't and can't cut.

Guardshock - nice organization there!  Lot easier to read than the rest of our crap, lol.  

A few guys that you left off (probably intentionally, which is fine of course - we’re talking opinions here) that I see as ‘on the bubble’ - Spaight, Blanding, Smithson, Kalis, Carter and Marshall.  

Guys I would definitely say are on the bubble - Vigil (battles Spaight), Clemmings (he’d be our 5th tackle, even though you have Nsheke as a G), Hood, Bibbs, and Hogan (I’m hoping for the best, but he’s almost a longshot, IMO).  

Lastly, I don’t see a backup C on the list.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Guardshock - nice organization there!  Lot easier to read than the rest of our crap, lol.  

A few guys that you left off (probably intentionally, which is fine of course - we’re talking opinions here) that I see as ‘on the bubble’ - Spaight, Blanding, Smithson, Kalis, Carter and Marshall.  

Guys I would definitely say are on the bubble - Vigil (battles Spaight), Clemmings (he’d be our 5th tackle, even though you have Nsheke as a G), Hood, Bibbs, and Hogan (I’m hoping for the best, but he’s almost a longshot, IMO).  

Lastly, I don’t see a backup C on the list.  

I just dont think that Spaight makes the team. His injury history shows that he's not reliable.

My guess is that we will not have a true "C" on the roster and we have one that is a combo guard. Maybe we have Catalina learn to be a "C".

QB - 3  I like the idea of keeping Hogan at least initially to see if he could be a reliable backup for next few years as we move on from Colt

RB - 4  Kelley / Bibbs fighting for #4

WR - 6  w/ Harris / Davis / Quinn

TE - 3

OL - 9  w/ Lauvao, Bergstrom, Catalina on top of the 6 everyone agrees on; Arie on PUP

DL - 7  Hood being the 7th, like his leadership

OLB - 4

ILB - 4   Hamilton on PUP and let Speight / Vigil battle for spot; JHC safe

CB - 6

S - 4  I would lean Everett at this point due to experience but if Blanding has a good camp I'd go with him due to higher ceiling

ST - 3 Way, Hopkins, Sundberg

I agree with a lot of what is posted above.  Only main differences are I would keep Nsekhe at OT and let Lauvao / Catalina hold down the fort until Arie returns (I know LG is our weakness for 2018 as of now).  I would treat Christian as a redshirt, if he has as much as a hangnail put him on PUP (or IR if after week 1).  Also would treat SDH as a redshirt, and definitely have him start on PUP as he returns from his injury from sr year.  I also would like to see 6 CBs so we can see both Holsey and Stroman get some reps.  

Wasn't sure where to post this but out here in San Diego I was listening to the Dan Sileo show on 97.3 the fan on the way into work this morning. Coincidentally, they had Jay Gruden on because I guess he and Sileo go way back. It was a great interview but the one takeaway I had was how pumped up he seemed when talking about the state of the roster. Sileo asked him straight up, "Is this the best collection of talent you've had since being in DC?" And I have never heard Jay so excited when speaking about the state of the roster. The thing I love about Jay, is he doesn't sugarcoat things. So when he says something positive, or sounds optimistic, you can take him at face value more than a lot of head coaches out there, like say a Shanahan. He also seemed pretty jazzed about Payne now that he's gotten a look at him up close and personal. Stressed balance and again mentioned stopping the run and running the football. If they get better in those two areas, which they should, it will be big. We know Jay is going to scheme an offense that can throw the football. I think he's proven that. Combine that with a team that is strong up front on both sides and you could have something there. He seemed to indicate that in his interview and has total belief that we can take the East this year. Just thought I would pass it along.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but I can’t recall having so much intriguing youth and potential on the team.  I included some late rounders/UDFAs, but most of these guys are players that could/should be contributing this year or next... not scrubs that we’re hoping can defy the odds.  In other words, guys with legitimate potential (including some that have already produced).  

DL:  Allen, Ioannidas, Payne, Settle and Lanier

OLB:  Anderson

ILB:  JHC and SDH

Corner:  Moreau, Holsey and Stroman

S:  Nicholson, Apke, Blanding and Smithson

OL:  Roullier, Kalis, Catalina and Christianson

RB:  Guice

TE: Sprinkle 

WR:  Doctson, Quinn, Davis and the AL UDFA who’s name is escaping me.  

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Slightly off topic, but I can’t recall having so much intriguing youth and potential on the team. 

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-post-draft-look-possible-2021-redskins-defense%3famp

Tandler did a projection for starting off and def for 2021, and it's a very talented group and does not take into account anybody from the next three entire drafts or any free agents we may sign in the next three offseasons.  It does reference a left guard being filled thru an upcoming draft and I doubt we are big spenders on the free agent front anyway.  Now I know this is all assuming no career altering injuries, no departures via free agency for guys we would like to keep, and we are looking at some of our young guys with Rose colored glasses expecting them to live up to or surpass expectations, but I think it definitely shows a solid young nucleus to build around for the future.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-post-draft-look-possible-2021-redskins-defense%3famp

Tandler did a projection for starting off and def for 2021, and it's a very talented group and does not take into account anybody from the next three entire drafts or any free agents we may sign in the next three offseasons.  It does reference a left guard being filled thru an upcoming draft and I doubt we are big spenders on the free agent front anyway.  Now I know this is all assuming no career altering injuries, no departures via free agency for guys we would like to keep, and we are looking at some of our young guys with Rose colored glasses expecting them to live up to or surpass expectations, but I think it definitely shows a solid young nucleus to build around for the future.

And 11 picks next year!

On 5/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, carex said:

Like if Ryan Anderson plays well enough to be our third OLB then Pernell McPhee might go

I got to put some thought into it.  Good topic.  Among their FA signings I am a big Richardson guy (was before they signed him) and also a big McPhee guy. If McPhee is healthy, I think he's really good.  I admit I have my doubts about Ryan Anderson let alone the team cutting McPhee because of his emergence.    But hopefully Ryan comes through with a big off season/season.  Nonetheless, they need 2 good backup rushers anyway.

The one FA signing I didn't love is Scandrick.   I would have much preferred DRC.   So the secondary is what worries me.   We lost 2 of our 3 corners in the off season.  Just assuming that last year's #4 and #5 corner would step in without a beat and Scandrick will resurrect his career is a big maybe for me.

I used to be hung up on Hankins in FA now for me its a corner -- maybe DRC.  The thing is about that position is depth is key so the odds that we get to the next layer of corners at some point is pretty good.  My other thing is if Nicholson gets hurt again -- I am not a big Everett guy.  But you can't have depth everywhere.

I like D line.  I like Edge -- though I wish they had a speed rusher in that mix.  I like MLB.  CB is a concern.  Safety -- if they avoid injuries is good. 

On offense.  QB = good.  RB = good.  O line -- got some concern with all of those guys coming off of injury and LG -- I think we need some luck at that position.  TE -- "meh" unless Jordan Reed is healthy if so then very good.   WR = good. 

On 5/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, carex said:

Outside of Cousins, those were different eras where players couldn't really leave the team they were on. And Cousins, though technically #3 for some games, was probably never ACTUALLY the third QB when it came to the actual depth chart. If they had been forced to cut a QB in 2012 or 2013, it wouldn't have been him. 

Archived