Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Lafemina,, per Ian Rappaport#Redskins to become the president of business operations and COO

SWFLSkins

1 hour ago, SonnyandSam said:

By all media accounts, he is an experienced NFL business guy who has worked with all the NFL teams from the NFL office. Before that, he worked many years for Madison Square Garden (or whatever the corp name is) running their venues. So the guy has a lot of experience. But I do find it odd leaving the league office for a team job. Usually that is a step down. And the NFL league office has been known to dump league office personnel on teams. But maybe Dan is offering $$$ and possibly is grooming him to replace Bruce. Who knows at this point.

The change from say the league office to a team position is not necessarily a step down. The responsibilities could be greater for the team. Also, there are a lot of headaches working for corporate entity - for lack of a better term - like the NFL as opposed to the autonomous entity of a specific team. You only have tro please one team not 32. 

Not saying you are wrong as I do not know the details. But I work in a global role for our company where the regions and business units operate mostly independent. So as opposed to a top down configuration that most people see is say like a Ford or Caterpillar, the NFL operates as more of a support function. As someone who has worked in that type of structure for over 15 yrs, while there are some benefits, it can be frustrating as hell sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Then there's the whole thing about the hierarchy of Smith vs Gruden. Williams has joked all week (and since the draft) about how emotional Gruden gets. Williams kinda showed that he can handle it but can Smith. Maybe Smith can follow Williams's footsteps on this, or maybe Williams will still be there, but if Smith was the GM this time around do we wind up with a Quinn in the 5th instead of Settle? Do we trade up for Ronald Jones or Kerryon Johnson instead of being patient and waiting for Guice to fall? Do we draft Welsh instead of Stroman?

Some good points in your post but as to the Jay part of it.  Jay seems to be able to roll with the punches.  Scot told me himself -- he and Jay would have some intense debates but they respected each other and neither one took it personally -- he also said Jay is a great guy and a great talent evaluator.

I suspect the only reason why we heard about the Quinn story is because it worked out in the end.  How are we to know other stories didn't have that much of a happy ending and Jay ended up right?  

Chris Russell said he heard Bruce and Jay have had more disagreements this season than usual about FA.  Considering Bruce is batting if I recall 19% in FA -- not that hot -- how do we know Jay isn't the guy that was right on that front?  It's been said by multiple sources that Jay wanted D-Jax back.  The FO disagreed.  And heck yeah the passing game was a problem last year.  I liked the Paul Richardson signing -- I was a Richardson guy before the signing.  However, Richardson is no D. Jax.  I'd rather have D. Jax.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The change from say the league office to a team position is not necessarily a step down. The responsibilities could be greater for the team. Also, there are a lot of headaches working for corporate entity - for lack of a better term - like the NFL as opposed to the autonomous entity of a specific team. You only have tro please one team not 32. 

Not saying you are wrong as I do not know the details. But I work in a global role for our company where the regions and business units operate mostly independent. So as opposed to a top down configuration that most people see is say like a Ford or Caterpillar, the NFL operates as more of a support function. As someone who has worked in that type of structure for over 15 yrs, while there are some benefits, it can be frustrating as hell sometimes. 

True, but from most opinions, the Redskins are a highly dysfunctional team in the front office. Why would you want to go there. Just sayin'. I have no inside info. Working for a team, he may have more direct input to implement his policies whereas with the league, he essentially was an advisor/consultant. Could be money. Could be grooming to take over for Bruce. Who knows....

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

So Cooley now said that hiring this guy means we picked a side to build the stadium. That he is here to make sure it gets build in best way possible. Next step in the proces. 

Yeah I heard that too -- he thinks this dude's job is to do the follow through on the stadium.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

So Cooley now said that hiring this guy means we picked a side to build the stadium. That he is here to make sure it gets build in best way possible. Next step in the proces. 

If that's the case I've got nothing but love for the hire. I'd much rather have a stadium closer in experience to MSG than to the current day FedEx.

5 minutes ago, SonnyandSam said:

True, but from most opinions, the Redskins are a highly dysfunctional team in the front office. Why would you want to go there. Just sayin'. I have no inside info. Working for a team, he may have more direct input to implement his policies whereas with the league, he essentially was an advisor/consultant. Could be money. Could be grooming to take over for Bruce. Who knows....

Those are two different things. Why he would come to the Redskins vs. why he would leave the NFL to go to a team. I was addressing specifically the leaving the NFL for a team - any team. 

As for why the Redskins - I think first that while I agree with some of the criticisms, I think they are also exaggerated some and that the perception outside of fans - in the NFL community itself - is different. 

Also, it could be to address the dysfunction. It's easier to go to a **** show and fix it than to take a successful organization and make it better. Your best hope is to not screw it up. 

Of course I am just guessing myself. Who knows. Just offering some thoughts. 

Thought this might be a good thread to put this in. Just saw an item that our neighbors in purple to the north are following what the Falcons did last year and are lowering concession prices at M&T Bank.  Wonder if the Skins will do the same at some point.....perhaps this is something the new dude will look into:

Interesting how monopolies think they can charge as much as they want to make a profit. Falcons found out that they made more profit selling at reasonable prices and made more profit in hire volume sales. IF food and drink prices, I would buy more than I buy now. Now, I buy nothing. Do all my eating and drinking in my tailgate. I pickup a free water/soda as a designated driver.

That's cool as **** to see prices slashed... I mean I get it I can understand the high price for the beer.. you get some trailer trash like me that comes in with their weekly paycheck and would spend the whole thing on beer if the beer was cheap enough... I mean maybe that's why they keep the prices so high on beer so the fans aren't drinking like fish because it's cheap..Lord knows we got enough obnoxious drunken fans in the stadiums..

What the hell is the difference between butterless popcorn and regular popcorn? why would butterless popcorn be twice as much?.. I mean LOL that looks like a stupid question from me obviously butterless popcorn doesn't have butter on it but how would serving butterless popcorn be more expensive? doesn't it come out of the maker butterless?..idk

6 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

That's cool as **** to see prices slashed... I mean I get it I can understand the high price for the beer.. you get some trailer trash like me that comes in with their weekly paycheck and would spend the whole thing on beer if the beer was cheap enough... I mean maybe that's why they keep the prices so high on beer so the fans aren't drinking like fish because it's cheap..Lord knows we got enough obnoxious drunken fans in the stadiums..

What the hell is the difference between butterless popcorn and regular popcorn? why would butterless popcorn be twice as much?.. I mean LOL that looks like a stupid question from me obviously butterless popcorn doesn't have butter on it but how would serving butterless popcorn be more expensive? doesn't it come out of the maker butterless?..idk

It’s says bottomless popcorn that’s why it’s double the price 

On 5/17/2018 at 12:12 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Some good points in your post but as to the Jay part of it.  Jay seems to be able to roll with the punches.  Scot told me himself -- he and Jay would have some intense debates but they respected each other and neither one took it personally -- he also said Jay is a great guy and a great talent evaluator.

I suspect the only reason why we heard about the Quinn story is because it worked out in the end.  How are we to know other stories didn't have that much of a happy ending and Jay ended up right?  

Chris Russell said he heard Bruce and Jay have had more disagreements this season than usual about FA.  Considering Bruce is batting if I recall 19% in FA -- not that hot -- how do we know Jay isn't the guy that was right on that front?  It's been said by multiple sources that Jay wanted D-Jax back.  The FO disagreed.  And heck yeah the passing game was a problem last year.  I liked the Paul Richardson signing -- I was a Richardson guy before the signing.  However, Richardson is no D. Jax.  I'd rather have D. Jax.

I was so excited to get DJax when we did but ultimately he was disappointing to me. When he left it didn't bother me at all. I'm hoping Richardson is more of a red zone threat than DJax was when he was here. I also believe Robert Davis is going to have a real chance to make an impact with Smith as our QB...

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I was so excited to get DJax when we did but ultimately he was disappointing to me. When he left it didn't bother me at all. I'm hoping Richardson is more of a red zone threat than DJax was when he was here. I also believe Robert Davis is going to have a real chance to make an impact with Smith as our QB...

Honestly, other than some injuries I thought DJax was pretty clutch. He did whatever we asked, was good in the locker room, and routinely took the top off of opposing defenses. I agree with team decision not to resign him based on what he was asking + his age but he definitely didn't disappoint.

WOW what a great hire! See below. :)

What Does Name "Lafemina" Mean

You always bring to completion anything you start. You are generous but like to see returns from your giving. You have an executive ability, you are a leader. You are moral, balanced, honest and intellectual, and you may attain spirituality. You are wise and practical with an appreciation of beauty. You always think before you act.You are bold, independent, inquisitive and interested in research. You know what you want and why you want it.

You are very intuitive. You have a reservoir of inspired wisdom combined with inherited analytical ability, which could reward you through expressions of spiritual leadership, business analysis, marketing, artistic visions, and scientific research. Operating on spiritual side of your individuality can bring you to the great heights, and drop you off if you neglect your spiritual identity. You are always looking for an opportunity to investigate the unknown, to use and show your mental abilities, to find the purpose and meaning of life. You want to grow wise and to understand people and things. You need privacy to replenish your energy. You have a unique way of thinking, intuitive, reflective, absorbing.

Dan is simply trying to increase revenues. We also hired Jake Bye not too long back. He's adding roles and throwing salary cash internally with a view to improving our external income streams. I suspect Bruce still has very strong connections to facilitate the organisation moving forward with its Stadium plans. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I doubt Lafemina is behind the sale of 980AM as these things take time to do, but a couple of pretty interesting business stories happening simultaneously.

What are your thoughts on what's going on behind the scenes?

Seems like they are trying to streamline and become more efficient. Bruce has done okay at managing the cap with Schaffer's help, but I'm not sure how well he has done in figuring out how the rest of it should work and how to maximize the Redskins' profits. I think they have made some misses on that side. In addition, I think they have failed to maximize the fan experience at Fed Ex.

It is interesting to me how the Redskins have shrunk. For many years, you could find Redskins stores in shopping malls. I think they're all gone. The Redskins seemed to want to control messaging and use radio as their major means of communicating. Now, that's gone. So, what are we seeing outside the core business? 

Honestly, I'm talking without having done any research so I might be wrong about everything, but I think they are shrinking themselves to their core business. That might be very smart, but it also could be a sign that the coffers have shrunk.

Archived