Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

I have meet a few people that I really like(d) and respect(ed) for their intellect and ability to follow facts to their obvious conclusions and then act on that information that I find out afterwards are Trump supporters. Its really shocking, to be honest. Like, I know previously you guys would say im living in my own lib bubble but im really surprised how many of these people are too. 

I mean these are intelligent people. People I have sat in meetings with and watched them just go to town and enjoy destroying someones argument factually, with a smile on their faces and be 100% correct and have done enough work to be able to prove to you exactly with documentation why they are. And then we trip into a political conversation where I begin by thinking they are just non-political and ignorant to the facts, but in reality they are indoctrinated by lies to the point where truth is so foreign to them that they wont even accept someone ADMITTING that they did something. 

Its really something im not sure how to deal with. I feel like its best to just not talk to people about politics at all at this point. Which is sad because I know these people are smart enough to understand the facts if they just listen to them. But I also know they wont. They KNOW they are right at this point. This **** is bad. I dont understand how you fight lies when there is no truth anymore. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Llevron said:

And then we trip into a political conversation where I begin by thinking they are just non-political and ignorant to the facts, but in reality they are indoctrinated by lies to the point where truth is so foreign to them that they wont even accept someone ADMITTING that they did something. 

Garbage in, garbage out. 

58 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have meet a few people that I really like(d) and respect(ed) for their intellect and ability to follow facts to their obvious conclusions and then act on that information that I find out afterwards are Trump supporters. Its really shocking, to be honest. Like, I know previously you guys would say im living in my own lib bubble but im really surprised how many of these people are too. 

I mean these are intelligent people. People I have sat in meetings with and watched them just go to town and enjoy destroying someones argument factually, with a smile on their faces and be 100% correct and have done enough work to be able to prove to you exactly with documentation why they are. And then we trip into a political conversation where I begin by thinking they are just non-political and ignorant to the facts, but in reality they are indoctrinated by lies to the point where truth is so foreign to them that they wont even accept someone ADMITTING that they did something. 

Its really something im not sure how to deal with. I feel like its best to just not talk to people about politics at all at this point. Which is sad because I know these people are smart enough to understand the facts if they just listen to them. But I also know they wont. They KNOW they are right at this point. This **** is bad. I dont understand how you fight lies when there is no truth anymore. 

Same at my office, **** is unreal... Like you know the president is a lying sack of ****, but because he is a Republican, logic goes out the window

4 minutes ago, killerbee99 said:

Same at my office, **** is unreal... Like you know the president is a lying sack of ****, but because he is a Republican, logic goes out the window

The thing that made me stop talking - like I knew there was no hope type of shut up - was when she called BIden a liar and then I asked if Trump has ever lied and I got a "well they all do sometimes" and when pushed further " it was "Well I never have but maybe..." 

I knew I was done then. And its just so out of character for this person its killing me. 

49 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The day they voted on impeachment and the day after, I had to mute about 10 people on my Facebook feed.  Sorry, but if you claim to have watched the hearings and your take away was "Trump did nothing wrong" I don't care about anything you have to say.  

I usually avoid political conversation rabbit holes on FB, but as far as friends and/or family, sometimes I engage (too often, actually) and it becomes painfully obvious really quickly who actually watched the hearings vs who merely watched the prime time commentary on fox about the hearings.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I usually avoid political conversation rabbit holes on FB, but as far as friends and/or family, sometimes I engage (too often, actually) and it becomes painfully obvious really quickly who actually watched the hearings vs who merely watched the prime time commentary on fox about the hearings.  

Exactly my thought that they didn't watch the hearings, they watched Fox News tell them about the hearings.  I don't engage these folks on FB, I just mute them forever.  

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I knew I was done then. And its just so out of character for this person its killing me. 

particularly in matters of typcial social interaction with people you're not significantly connected to in your life,

"don't let what someone shows you on their outside have too much effect on your inside"

(boundaries---avoid too rigid/too permeable)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Exactly my thought that they didn't watch the hearings, they watched Fox News tell them about the hearings.  I don't engage these folks on FB, I just mute them forever.  

It is the Mueller report vs. Barr Summary all over again.  Fun game: Next time someone tells you that the Mueller report said "no conclusion" or "LOL Russian Hoax"  ask them what the report itself said about it.  I bet they can't.  Ask them what page of the report said "No collusion"   I bet it takes no less than 3 questions about the Mueller report for them to realize they just got caught having never looked a single word in the actual report and are just reciting the Barr Summary commentary.

Not that it will change their minds about anything, of course. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

As hard as it may be I think it's important to keep this in mind. 

I know several Trumpers I like and respect. They know I don't like him and we steer pretty clear of the topic for the most part, but every now and then...

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:21 AM, Llevron said:

The thing that made me stop talking - like I knew there was no hope type of shut up - was when she called BIden a liar and then I asked if Trump has ever lied and I got a "well they all do sometimes" and when pushed further " it was "Well I never have but maybe..." 

80387897_2705719319519073_2546047374594146304_n.jpg.4234465ea1a1de5270c5ec8cc9c637a4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I play basketball with a guy who's a trump supporter and also a football fan.

I'm sitting next to him the other day and I said "big happenings in Washington"

He was just like I don't care.

I said I meant the Redskins and he replied oh that, yeah, ron rivera, well he's already got the type of quarterback he likes.

I didn't even know how to reply to that so I just left it alone.

Trump supporters wonder where their reputation comes from.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I play basketball with a guy who's a trump supporter and also a football fan.

I'm sitting next to him the other day and I said "big happenings in Washington"

He was just like I don't care.

I said I meant the Redskins and he replied oh that, yeah, ron rivera, well he's already got the type of quarterback he likes.

I didn't even know how to reply to that so I just left it alone.

Trump supporters wonder where their reputation comes from.

a young mobile qb that can run as well as throw? 

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

a young mobile qb that can run as well as throw? 

For a moment I entertained the possibility that was the case, but newton was far more mobile than haskins will ever be.

They are pretty different quarterbacks.

Their frames are similar and they have one other very obvious similarity. 

Beyond that they're quite different. 

There are lots of white quarterbacks who can shift around in the pocket and they never get compared this way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Kurt was compared in that way

Russell?

I kid I kid.

But seriously I dont want to get into a drawn out debate about his intent.

I don't believe his thoughts were totally innocent, but it's not impossible. 

But we have gotten to the point where people who are on the lower end of the racist spectrum so to speak are becoming more emboldened to say things like this and hide behind the possible ambiguity of it.

Like the "OK" symbols that everybody on the planet knows means white power but they can just say, nope I was just saying ok.

In this case he could certainly hide behind an excuse, but I'd be very surprised if his comments weren't at the very least prejudiced. 

• Like 1