Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

17 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The guy goes regularly on InfoWars and PrisonPlanet and spreads xenophobia on issues like Muslims living in Sweden, but ok. The InfoWars contributor is the media fact checker we need. 

Casually finding yourself in multiple photos with alt right racists throwing white supremacy symbols must be totally incidental. Constantly defending Proud Boys and Gavin McInness, while constantly railing against far left groups, really shows what a neutral observer he is. 

Whatever dude, you want to find a million excuses for his clear pattern of being in the alt-right sphere, go for it. I know most decent journalists across both sides of the aisle aren’t frequently found to be casually friendly with racist dip****s.

As far as your thinly veiled Islamaphobia, the MSA stuff was you casually attempting to justify bigotry thrown at a Muslim politician, with no ties whatsoever to extremism. We went over this last time. I don’t think it’s co-incidental that you find yourself exposed to bogus right wing conspiracies when you think hacks who contribute to InfoWars are badly needed “fact checkers. 

At least we can agree on one thing - the alt right, white supremacists and nazis are all bad. 

No doubt that if there are racists, particularly in leadership positions, at turning point USA, they ought to be outed. And if they're not, then turning point will deserve whatever racist tag they get. You must denounce that crap, or one can assume correctly that you are complicit. 

I would take it one step further - if turning point was a several decades old organization, and they had a history of white supremacists or other idealogical radicals among their ranks, especially in leadership positions, and they didn't disavow or clean it up, I'd question anyone who would join such a group. 

This standard, for me, would also apply to any idealogical, political or religious organization - left, right, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, whatever. 

Edited by grego

6 hours ago, PeterMP said:

If you want to argue there is a difference, that's up to you.  But before you try, I'd remind you which way the 9/11 highjackers came in and some of the people that carried out the first world trade center bombings.

Would you say we changed screening practices after that?

47 minutes ago, twa said:

Would you say we changed screening practices after that?

And we also changed our security at the southern border after that and other countries (including Mexico) changed screening processes.

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

And we also changed our security at the southern border after that and other countries (including Mexico) changed screening processes.

which means those attempting to avoid them are a more serious problem than those that do not.

51 minutes ago, twa said:

which means those attempting to avoid them are a more serious problem than those that do not.

Do you have any evidence for that?

Or are you just making things up that fit your preconceived notions?

Part of changing our security at the southern border includes places where people don't cross legally.  Using your logic, then crossing the southern border at legal or illegal places is some thing that people that are "more serious problem" should be trying to avoid (because there is a high chance they will be cause because of the increased security there).

The southern border has never been more secure since MAYBE the Spanish/American war.  If you want to get into the US with intent of trying to harm the US, it is not a very good option.  Yes, we strengthened our screening at airports, but we've also strengthened our security at the southern border at legal and illegal places to cross.

And the 

(Honestly, if you are worried about border security from a crime/national security issues, the biggest issue is the ports.  I don't think a single suggestion by the 9/11 commission for the ports was ever implemented.  But Trump's concerns aren't really border security/crime.  His issue is appealing to people that xenophobic.)

Do you have anything to suggest that people in this country illegally from the southern border have some significant impact in terms of crime or economically than people that come into the country other ways illegally?

(I strongly suspect the answer to that question is no.)

Edited by PeterMP

9 minutes ago, twa said:

other than common sense?

I think your common sense is incorrect about what is actually easier or more likely to succeed.   The fact is that the vast majority of people on the terrorist watch list trying to come into the country are still trying to come in through airports.  Maybe because such people know they are having higher success rate at airports then getting into Mexico and getting through the extensive border security where have there illegally is unlikely.

The existing data suggest that your common sense is wrong.

If it was easier to come in through airports and post 9/11 we have boosted security at airports AND boosted security at places where people cross illegally from Mexico, why is it common sense that one is preferable to the other?  Security at both places have gone up.

(Through history, common sense has lead to people believing all sorts of things that we know with hindsight are incorrect.  Even things like the Earth is flat.)

Do you have anything to suggest that people in this country illegally from the southern border have some significant impact in terms of crime or economically than people that come into the country other ways illegally?

(I strongly suspect the answer to that question is no.)

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, twa said:

Yes, criminals deported and then return .

Or do you think they are deported for no reason?

You ask some very oddly worded questions

Are you claiming the only people here illegally that get deported for being criminals are coming over the southern border?

Or do you evidence that there is a higher rate of return of criminals over the southern border vs. other methods?

You have a funny idea of evidence.

I am claiming those that actively evade screening are a more serious problem than those that don't.

Those already deported that return that avoid screening even more so.

I would not object to efforts to reduce those previously deported from returning in areas other that the southern border.....why do you use only?

On 5/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, NoCalMike said:

We can put to bed the "BUT IS IT REALLY A WHITE POWER SYMBOL?" debate.  When I was a kid, it wasn't. It was an "Ok" or "A-Ok" sign.  Clearly now that is not the case and if you look at the context of almost any photo/video where it is being used, it is pretty obvious that the person throwing it up is either an Alt-Right idiot or a troll who thinks it is funny to make people believe they are an alt-right idiot and deserve the reaction they get. 

I came to this late, but in thinking about it. I've seen almost no one has doing the okay sign for a long time. It's been replaced by the thumbs up. Heck, even in emoji-ville there's no "okay" Instead, everyone uses the thumb.

Edited by Burgold

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I came to this late, but in thinking about it. I've seen almost no one has doing the okay sign for a long. It's been replaced by the thumbs up. Heck, even in emoji-ville there's no "okay" Instead, everyone uses the thumb.

Scuba diving. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Scuba diving. 

I'll buy that and I bet it is used as an okay in a bunch of other pockets, too. I think it's been phased out largely, though.

I will say the first time I heard it called a white nationalist symbol it caught me totally off guard. I hadn't seen, heard, or imagined such a thing. It was just A-okay to me. I wonder how many instances of generational confusion is caused by this. How many people misinterpret its intent (for both good and ill).

Edited by Burgold
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I wonder how many instances of generational confusion is caused this. How many people misinterpret its intent (for both good and ill).

I would be surprised if that wasnt at least part of the point. Not only can you hide in plain sight, but you can point at it as an example of liberals trying to corrupt something that should be incorruptible and innocent like a hand sign. 

• 3 weeks later...

What intrigues me about this teacher situation, so she thought the tweets were private. She had the wherewithal to see what she thought she was tweeting privately was a problem. Now in trouble, she uses the private comment. Is the private comment the new, "I have a black friend?" 

Edited by Busch1724
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am still perplexed how Trump supporters stick to their opinion that the economy was in shambles up to the day Trump was sworn in and then he magically "rescued" it.  There is absolutely nothing fact-based to support their opinion on that. In fact quite the contrary. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am still perplexed how Trump supporters stick to their opinion that the economy was in shambles up to the day Trump was sworn in and then he magically "rescued" it.  There is absolutely nothing fact-based to support their opinion on that. In fact quite the contrary. 

They live in fantasy world. They simply cannot stand the fact that a black man named Barack Obama was actually a competent leader and all around decent human being. But they're perfectly fine with white trash Trump spending all their tax payer money on golf trips because, you know, he's white(well orange but you know what I mean).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2