Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

@nonniey

so i'm "falling into a spiral" along with many others on this board, by your reckoning.  i find that pretentious and erroneous as stated, but other than that for now, i'm going to pass on characterizing your own posting. i would contend that most folks (inc. the conservatives) are reacting fairly understandably and even appropriately to the events of the day.

if your intellect/development leads you to think differently on that, fine, but don't apply it to characterizing my activity here as you did unless you're going to get it right.

initially, because i thought you might be defensive and i didn't want it to appear it was directed at you, i had a disclaimer in the beginning of my post stating my comments wasn't a reaction to your post or viewpoint---all which is why i didn't quote you when i posted.

and then i just decided it wasn't necessary.

i had read the article when it came out, along with plenty of other material as i noted, so that was my encapsulation of the "controversy" and the opposing realities/accuracy and media in general---i addressed it all. so as i often find myself doing here, i'm on repeat. 

the article was no big miss or hit to me---just an article, some of it fine, some of it blah, none of it really enlightening or revelatory to me, no concepts  i hadn't seen or discussed here many times already---i.e. tribalism in all its forms---it's, um, one of the  major themes in the forum.

maybe i'll feel like writing something about prioritized concerns,  but i lack the motivation at the moment so this is where this  will end for me.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Llevron said:

But I cannot take a conversation seriously that calls for the liberal media to correct its flaws and fails to hold the conservative media to even half of that standard. Its an ridiculously stupid argument when you actually take a look at it.

Which is why debating with them and attempting to negotiate with them should be abandoned. 

They absolutely have no desire for truth unless it is their own, they absolutely have no desire to work with anyone outside of their little box to do anything.

So **** them.

As far as I'm concerned, the MAGAs and the Fox addicts should be as marginalized as possible.
Debate? **** debating them. Their points are lies and / or foreign propaganda meant to subvert. Lies and traitors should never be given any sort of equal stage with reason.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That's because [sane] people don't consider conservative media to be news.  They know it is a clown show so it gets ignored.  For the most part, conservative based news doesn't exist.  The moderate to left-leaning news organizations at least have some morals so they get critisizm when deserved.  

I view "conservative news" kinda like I view religion; it's a bunch of madeup stories used to make you fear things you really have no need fearing and it is used to fill their coffers by always getting you to look in another direction.  And some of the top people have committed sexually based crimes all the while telling everyone how evil everyone else is.

You are so right. I never thought of it that way if im being honest. Still, though, I worry about the people who aint smart enough to see through it. Damn I ever even noticed that Jesus and Hannity have the same marks arguing for them. 

( To those concerned: dont take offense cause I said Jesus, hes the only name from the Bible I know so I didnt really mean anything by it)

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

Which is why debating with them and attempting to negotiate with them should be abandoned. 

They absolutely have no desire for truth unless it is their own, they absolutely have no desire to work with anyone outside of their little box to do anything.

So **** them.

As far as I'm concerned, the MAGAs and the Fox addicts should be as marginalized as possible.
Debate? **** debating them. Their points are lies and / or foreign propaganda meant to subvert. Lies and traitors should never be given any sort of equal stage with reason.

~Bang

I agree with you an all of this but marginalizing them. Yes I would lover for the "stupid enough" to be left behind forever but we have a political party who takes power through them. They will never let that happen.  I dont know how we limit them. But if they wont less us educate the stupid then I say we shoot them. 

But thats probably not a popular opinion either. 

Those not smart enough.. they've been shown facts time and again and reject them. Fox isn't new, the propaganda that caused all of this isn't new... 
if they still buy in it is because they want to and refuse to see anything outside of the box.

So tape up the box, don't punch any airholes, and leave them by the side of the road.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

Considering there have been studies that show Fox news has caused people to become more extreme and angry in general, I wonder if there would ever be enough people willing to participate in a study where they go Fox/Conservative "news" free for perhaps 6 months or so to see if they slowly morph back into the people they were pre-Fox.

The way to marginalize them is to not play along.

If it is bull****, call it bull**** and shut it down.

Don't debate it. Don't argue with it. Do not negotiate with it. Stop being nice to it. Stop behaving as if it is normal, or just n opposing viewpoint.  Technically it is..  but it is one that the world over rejects... except for the worst despots in the world who are all on board.

And do not waver from that. Problem always is, good people always try to see the good in others, to hope that they will be civil.

They won't

We know it. we've seen it, we've been dealing with all of the effects of their 100% refusal to govern. They are lockstep, 100%. 

~Bang

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Considering there have been studies that show Fox news has caused people to become more extreme and angry in general, I wonder if there would ever be enough people willing to participate in a study where they go Fox/Conservative "news" free for perhaps 6 months or so to see if they slowly morph back into the people they were pre-Fox.

Where are these studies?

Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to send them to my extreme/angry Fox News loving parents.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Where are these studies?

Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to send them to my extreme/angry Fox News loving parents.

I just googled "The Fox News Effect" 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=tUZPXPj2HsXa9AP8kL5Q&q=the+fox+news+effect&btnK=Google+Search&oq=the+fox+news+effect&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i22i30.1432.4487..4748...0.0..0.103.1432.18j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.BnsbNhyU7-I

Seems to be a consensus about the effects of a steady Fox News diet. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That's because [sane] people don't consider conservative media to be news.  They know it is a clown show so it gets ignored.  For the most part, conservative based news doesn't exist.  The moderate to left-leaning news organizations at least have some morals so they get critisizm when deserved.  

I view "conservative news" kinda like I view religion; it's a bunch of madeup stories used to make you fear things you really have no need fearing and it is used to fill their coffers by always getting you to look in another direction.  And some of the top people have committed sexually based crimes all the while telling everyone how evil everyone else is.

You can’t make this statement when the mainstream corporate media outlets don’t take them to task. And if anything, they go out of their way to not offend right wing media.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You can’t make this statement when the mainstream corporate media outlets don’t take them to task. And if anything, they go out of their way to not offend right wing media.

I'm not sure where you are looking but I see plenty of cases of MSM rebutting or just straight up laughing at Fox News.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This.

Fox already pretends that somehow it isn't MSM but also have the highest viewer %s. Just because they have "News" in their name doesn't make them a News. Opinion? Ok, maybe. 

Right...and Trump might be pushing 300lbs, but he's not fat. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm not sure where you are looking but I see plenty of cases of MSM rebutting or just straight up laughing at Fox News.

This is true, but for some reason it feels different. I guess what I want is someone the right wing nuts would take seriously (so not msm) to go after the right win media....but then I guess I would be talking about the right wing media cannibalizing itself. Which im not against but its probably not realistic. 

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This.

Fox already pretends that somehow it isn't MSM but also have the highest viewer %s. Just because they have "News" in their name doesn't make them a News. Opinion? Ok, maybe. 

Right...and Trump might be pushing 300lbs, but he's not fat. 

That's the point I was going to go with. You can't exactly say you aren't mainstream when you have the highest ratings (although they've come second to MSNBC a few times recently) on TV and consistently have the highest radio shock jock "news" ratings.

Once upon a fairy tale, there may have been a dearth of "conservative" viewpoints in media. That's no longer the case. Heck, even MSNBC's drive time morning show is hosted by a former Republican operative and several of their other shows are hosted by people who worked in the Bush White House... and that's MSNBC!!!

So, the idea that Republicans don't have a venue is a bunch of crocodile tears and bologna. 

• Like 4

cnn also has a decent share of conservatives on for a "llibtard fakenews" outfit,  not just pundits (a number of decent non-trumpers and they have regular trumpers too) but also as experts (law/security/politics) and se cupp even ha her own show now...also like smerconish, an independent with a weekend show

and yeah, republcans show up a lot on msnbc 

still, i've never had a problem with saying a majority of the major media have a left lean, the meat is in the issues of degree/definition/justification/actual impact etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

cnn also has a decent share of conservatives on for a "llibtard fakenews" outfit,  not just pundits (a number of decent non-trumpers and they have regular trumpers too) but also as experts (law/security/politics) and se cupp even ha her own show now...also like smerconish, an independent with a weekend show

and yeah, republcans show up a lot on msnbc 

Yep and contrast with that the way Fox operates where they will find someone from "the left" that is so far gone off the reservation, but present them like they represent the DNC's platform.  

I caught a few minutes of Tucker Carlson late last week and he just brought on a random guy to discuss Beto O'Rourke's border security stances.  The guy kept having to say before every answer, "I don't speak for Beto, I never worked for him, but I will try to give my best interpretation of what I think his views are based on what he has said in he past"  

It was pretty ridiculous and you could see how Tucker was trying to trick the guy by bringing up stuff the guy wouldn't be able to answer, but the guest managed to hold his own for the most. It helps that Tucker Carlson is pretty much a hack.

• Haha 1

i remember tucker from the old point/counterpoint show on pbs with paul begala---oops, no, it was crossfire on cnn ...he was real right-wingy and hardly impressive in argument or expression, but he wasn't as whackjob malevolent bad as he often comes off now....but the demand for more extreme is where the money is for him right now, too

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i remember tucker from the old point/counterpoint show on pbs with paul begala---oops, no, it was crossfire on cnn ...he was real right-wingy and hardly impressive in argument or expression, but he wasn't as whackjob malevolent bad as he often comes off now....but the demand for more extreme is where the money is for him right now, too

Yeah Tucker has always been right-wing, but it's obvious that once he was hired by Fox it was time for him to play that new role of "based in a different reality" pundit.