Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

1 hour ago, visionary said:

This right here.  I will admit I haven't seen all 567 clips of the incident that have likely been posted, but I have seen enough of the "video of the ENTIRE incident" ones, and from what I can tell there is nothing that really paints the catholic school kids in a better or light and/or exonerates from the original opinion which is that they were being jerks.  Now, push all the online outrage from both sides to the trash for a second and I will admit the media probably pumped this up too much and too quick initially with just that short clip, so right from the get-go they put themselves behind the eight ball, and then what predictably happened was the right wing media acting as the collective front they always do went on an immediate messaging campaign to concoct and entirely different narrative.  Hell, there was an even a PR firm that released a statement on the kid's behalf....how does that even happen?

From best I can tell, there were 3 separate groups at work here.  The right to life march, the black Israelite group, and the native american activist group.  Now regardless of who you think was the biggest idiots of the 3 groups there is no denying one group was the largest in size and presence.  What happened seems to be that the original confrontation was between the catholic school boys and the BI's, then the native americans walked in between the groups to act as a buffer.  Because the catholic school kids were already riled up and adrenaline going they decided to turn their attention to the guy beating the drum. Which leads to what we see on most of the video.

Now here is the thing,  I wish the media on all sides would just agree to say what the boys did was stupid, idiotic, and something they will regret later on in life, but we can't have that in these days and time, instead one side has to decide their futures should now be ruined and the other side is bending over backwards to come up with 100 different reasons why the group of 100 privileged white kids mocking a native american guy are the real victims in all of this.

MSM got worked on this incident though.  They rushed their initial coverage, which in turn had them rushing to issues apologies in response to the right-wing concocted blowback.  The truth of the incident seems to land much more in the middle.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Its easy to see why much of the media back peddled after the longer video was released, even if some people on the internet loathe to admit it.  It does change things, primarily by showing that adults were moving towards and engaging those teens.  I’ve read the teens had good reason to be in that particular spot and not walk away, as they were told to remain there and await their bus.  That paints a far different picture than I had after initial reports.  

I don’t believe the teens were victims in that situation, Truth be told I don’t see any victims in this.  Everyone left uninjured and had a chance to represent their view point.  intentionally or not however, they were intimidating, if for no other reason than their numbers and their proclaimed politics.  I don’t believe the Native American group’s actions and words match their claim that they were trying to calm things down between the teens and the crazy street preachers.  I think the crazy street preachers are being excused because they were so badly outnumbered and because they’re well known kooks.  They look the worst imo.  

• Like 2

If you have to hire a PR firm in order to release your version of what happened, then that already doesn't look good as far as offering up a so-called accurate statement

Now,  even if the boy's account of the entire situation is mostly accurate, I would still say where the entire thing could have been avoided is when he claims they asked their teacher or chaperone or whoever was in charge of them if they could start doing their school chant to drown out the black Israelites.  The adult in the situation probably should have said no, and corralled the students away from the area as far as possible to where they could still be waiting for the bus.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Holy ****ing **** dude!!! I’m the “they” who defended Trump??? You’re losing it man. Jesus Christ.

Dude I didnt call you they. If i was referring to you i woulda @ you i do that. I'm just drawing a parallel between the way you defend the kids and the way folks defended Trump when we just had a bad feeling about him. 

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Oh and here’s another picture from one of the games. They all wear ****ing black. I’m going to bed. I hate the world. Jesus Christ.

6DA684AB-3261-4659-B743-EFB47317123A.jpeg

Yea I know I looked it up. They had a black out game in 2012. That's what this is from. Many schools do it. 

This is not what gives me pause. But if you can look at all of the stuff these kids are doing and tell me it's all totally normal and I'm crazy for questioning it, then we just disagree. Nothing to have hard feelings about. 

I would love to look into these twitter accounts escalating stuff and taking things out of context on purpose. It seems like the same game they played with Trump. Americans are being put against each other again and it's easy. This racist **** is always the go to. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Dude I didnt call you they. If i was referring to you i woulda @ you i do that. I'm just drawing a parallel between the way you defend the kids and the way folks defended Trump when we just had a bad feeling about him. 

I didn't defend the kids from the other day. I haven't commented on that video one way or another. Alls I said was that the one social media post about the basketball game was dumb and very much in the style of the alt-rightish meme genre.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I didn't defend the kids from the other day. I haven't commented on that video one way or another. Alls I said was that the one social media post about the basketball game was dumb and very much in the style of the alt-rightish meme genre.

So then we have nothing to disagree about. We coulda got here with alot less exclamation points, "I hate the worlds" and comparisons to @twa. The latter of which I do not take kindly. (Most of thats a joke btw)

In all seriousness we have no issues at all -  like you said. We agree the social media post was stupid. In fact I would like very much to know who is behind it and what their real reason for starting all this was. Im not arguing that though. So maybe the misunderstanding is mine. My bad in that case. 

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/17/many-voters-think-trumps-a-self-made-man-what-happens-when-you-tell-them-otherwise-224019

As the figures below show, attitudes toward Trump may be polarized along party lines, but this information does have noticeable and statistically significant effects on evaluations of Trump’s character. For Democrats, who already see Trump as lacking empathy, this information makes them think of him as even less empathetic. But among Republicans, the information is even more damning, reducing perceptions of empathy by more than 10 percentage points.
image.png.f918285ab5d5e271833052bb9c2ad593.png

On perceptions of business acumen, which are higher across both parties, the information regarding Fred Trump’s role in his son’s business success is equally important. Democrats reduce their perceptions of Trump as a good businessman by 6 points, while Republican perceptions decline by 9 points.

image.png.07b4d83d6e23cfffc26a49afd277727b.png

I will say....if an old Native American dude approached me beating a drum and chanting something I didn't understand, I wouldn't know what the **** to think.  There'd be a bunch of different ways to interpret it.  I'd probably ask, politely as I could, "What are you doing and what's this all about?"  Phillips says he was trying to be peaceful...how about putting the drum down, going over to the kids and be like "Hey, I know those guys are shouting some really nasty stuff at you, let's ignore it and I'll stand here and wait for your bus with you, let's be above it and not escalate anything."  I get that he wants to spread his culture around but it might have been done better with an explanation.

When I was living in Arlington, I would walk across the street to Pentagon City Mall where there'd be a ton of kids like this on field trips.  There'd always be a lot of busses from kids out of town coming into DC and they'd stop at PCM cause of the food court.  There would always be a bunch of kids, probably anywhere from age 13-16 wearing MAGA hats.  It was always hard to tell if they were straight up Trump supporters or if they were just trying to be trolls and jerks.  Or both.

But kids are jerks.  Not all, of course, but there are bratty teenagers everywhere, ESPECIALLY ones that are away from mom and dad for a few days.  I am so tired of this story, I know I can't be the only one.  I don't want to watch another video, I don't want to read another op ed on "HOW THE MEDIA GOT THIS WRONG" or "I'M STILL STICKING TO MY GUNS EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE ARE APOLOGIZING TO THE KID, I SAW WHAT I SAW!!" https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-doubt-what-you-saw-with-your-own-eyes-1831931203  The amount of outrage being sparked by a kid being a jerk (when we can agree that kids are jerks) is just so over the top.   Is this really deserving of news?  That a kid is being a jerk?  That a white kid from Kentucky wearing a MAGA hat might be a douchebag?  Why is this still on the front of CNN.com?

However, the kids aren't the only ones being jerks, adults on twitter are just off the rails all day, every day.  I'm not going to post Kathy Griffin's tweet here cause of the language (here's the link:  https://www.dailywire.com/news/42420/kathy-griffin-viciously-targets-covington-catholic-daily-wire) , but come ON.  Wanting names of the kids?  Wants public shaming?  And after she got hit by a lawsuit for spying on her neighbor like a ****ing creep: 

Ironically, considering Griffin was calling for the boys’ privacy to be violated, last July, Griffin, 57, and her boyfriend, Randy Bick, 39, were hit with a lawsuit by their next-door neighbors, who accused the couple of spying on their home. The Wrapreported:

According to the suit, Griffin and Bick “undertook a campaign of secret electronic surveillance and recording almost immediately after taking up residence,” first with their iPhones, then with an audio-video surveillance system that was pointed directly into the Mezgers’ backyard “in order to spy on and record them." The suit says that Griffin and Bick “illegally captured hundreds of hours of audio and video from the Mezgers’ back yard” and that the Mezgers only learned about it in September 2017, months after the secret recordings began, when Griffin and Bick leaked one of the recordings to the media.

The Disney producer who put up a tweet about the woodchipper:  https://www.rt.com/usa/449368-disney-producer-threatens-maga-kids/

Michael Rappaport saying their school should be shut down (2nd tweet) and calling them ****suckers:  

Really?  I mean, they're from a CATHOLIC school.  If you're going to take umbrage with the Catholics, how about their massive pedophile cover up machine?  

Michael Green:  

Really?  Man, 16, his life is already defined.  Go home, kid, no need to aspire to anything else.  I hope Michael Green never has to ask for forgiveness in his life.

Come on, everyone, let's get even more amped up and angry cause a 16 year old kid was a douche.  🙄  I don't know who to be more sad about in this situation, the kid probably being a jerk, or the adults who are calling for the kids head in some pretty alarming ways.  

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I give the best hugs. No one can hug like me. 

giphy.gif

(just to be clear, I'm Maverick, you can be Iceman)

• Like 3

I think all of yall are taking this too far if im honest. The story aint even really about these kids. Like Spiff said, kids are jerks. These kids 100% didnt even consider the feelings of the other people involved, forget the **** storm that could come from something like this. They are kids. Pretty ****ing misguided kids (this is the closest I can get to saying what I feel and reserving judgement - I bet you can guess what that is though). But, still kids. I said alot of racist **** at their age when I didn't know any better. I was also a real dick about it. But I was never on video doing it so I avoided the whole CNN thing. 

The real story is the ****ing hat. And that gets deeper the more you think about it. 

• Like 2

Those are my general feelings on the matter.  This "story" in the grand scheme of things is so minor and with everything else going on in the world, it isn't even deserving of the attention it is getting regardless of who is at fault for what in the first place.

I am not sure why it is so hard for some people to say the boys were likely being antagonistic jerks because they are teenagers, but they don't deserve to be doxxed or ruined for life over it.  They will grow up and likely regret the entire incident and whatever role they played in it regardless of what a PR firm has to say about it right now.  On the flipside they don't deserve to be condemned for life over this, it isn't "the most disgusting thing I have ever seen"   In fact overall, it was three groups converging in the same space, pretty much without incident.

I am quite sure that PR statement was likely embellishing aspects of the lead up in order to paint the student and his peers as oblivious innocents, while I also agree that the other parties involved played a party in what led to the events in the original video. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Until Trump apologizes to the Central Park 5, I dont wanna hear him say one word about smeared and unfairly treated kids in the media.  

You can do this with literally EVERYTHING Trump or the MAGA movement criticizes people about. Bottom line is they just don't give a **** about anything beyond the letter you put after your name.

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Bro hug? 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I give the best hugs. No one can hug like me. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

giphy.gif

(just to be clear, I'm Maverick, you can be Iceman)

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

That's cool. Now get over here and suck the Iceman's ****

WHOAH! What the heck?!?!?

I ad-libbed that last line but it's what we were all thinking. Right?

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Sad 1