Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Problem is identity politics is the biggest problem many of us have with Trump (not the only one) which obviously means the Democrats are not a viable alternative. 

I suppose that’s fair enough as that boils down to perception.  Of course, I’m of the mindset that we have to stave off Russia and the major corruption before we worry about smaller (but still weighty) issues in our country.  

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Maybe the Dems should nominate a candidate a swath of Republicans/Independent voters can support.

This saddens me.  

I mean, sure, it’s a valid way to look at per one’s perception, but shouldn’t halting the Russian advance be preeminent?

To do this, we need a different president and a congress willing to stand up to the current one.  You’re asking for candidates that can energize Democrats (including those to the far left), and swing Independents and a swath of Conservatives.  Essentially a sound Democratic candidate that is also a better Conservative than the Conservative candidate and a better Independent than the Independent candidate.  

To me, the onus is on Independents and Conservatives to punish the current GOP, because this is beyond just politics and ideology, IMO.  We need to right the ship before we argue the best way to store cargo, deal with mutineers or to cleat a line... 

2 hours ago, Bang said:

It really is cute to think republican voters that voted for Trump will do anything different.

I personally know some that will... to an extent anyway.  Enough to make a difference?  That’s a whole lot dicier.  

.. , and regardless, it's going to be a hard time convincing me that the results aren't already planned.. like in an office in Moscow last wednesday. I hope not, but this crew is actively trying to dismantle all obstacles to it's keeping power and pressing it's (and Russia's) agenda of dividing the free world. rigged elections are small potatoes and pretty much standard fare for totalitarians.
Didn't congress just admit that 39 states may have been compromised in 2016?

Play Taps.

~Bang

Yeah, this absolutely scares the crap out of me.  

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

How many of my favorite rich politicians were President of the United States as their first elected job?

Well, I don’t know your favorites.  Eisenhower was pretty solid though.

As a point of comparison, highly-experienced, career politician Richard Nixon was somewhat less successful.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

The dems are going to have to nominate a stellar candidate (and not one they think is stellar, like Clinton, but one that actually is stellar) and/or they're going to have to get their people to actually show up and vote.

I agree with you that not many people who voted Trump will move away from him. I also agree the Dems need a much better candidate than Clinton who can pull together the various 'progressive' and centerist factions. Neither Sanders or Clinton should even consider running again. But I fear one or both might.

My hope though is around turnout. I think Trump has been so bad he will push more people out to vote who are aghast at what he is and is doing. I also hope young people continue to register to vote in record numbers. Voter turnout is going to be key, which is partly why it can't be a retread candidate for the Dems. Has to be someone younger and fresh who can be an effective anti Trump candidate.

37 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You don't get that screaming, shouting, insulting and in some cases physically attacking the people you want to convince to vote for your side is an ineffective tactic? Or is ineffective at convincing those observing that tactic even if they aren't the target?

I mean I get it, its just disingenuous at best IMO. If a person is more upset at reactions to the bull**** 45 is responsible for than 45 himself, there probably wasn't much hope of convincing that individual to switch the in the first place

14 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It seems to me that a lot of people are looking for excuses to rationalize their support of Trump (or their support of their supporters).

It isn't mine/their fault.  It is yours.

Precisely. People in his corner just need to own the fact they like the fact that Trump is making life harder for minorities.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Well, I don’t know your favorites.  Eisenhower was pretty solid though.

As a point of comparison, highly-experienced, career politician Richard Nixon was somewhat less successful.

Eisenhower wasn't rich, also had served as military governor of Germany, Supreme Commander of NATO, and served in government for 35 years prior to becoming President.  

Your inclusion of Nixon, while a bold gambit, is laughably off base.  I'm not saying all Presidents must be career politicians, I'm saying POTUS should not be their *first* job in government.  I thought Obama was great, it was his 3rd job in government.  State senate, US senate, President.  JFK went House, Senate, President.  Reagan went Governor, President.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Eisenhower wasn't rich, also had served as military governor of Germany, Supreme Commander of NATO, and served in government for 35 years prior to becoming President.  

Your inclusion of Nixon, while a bold gambit, is laughably off base.  I'm not saying all Presidents must be career politicians, I'm saying POTUS should not be their *first* job in government.  I thought Obama was great, it was his 3rd job in government.  State senate, US senate, President.  JFK went House, Senate, President.  Reagan went Governor, President.  

Again sir, I admitted my triteness from the onset.  Please stop crushing me.

Edit:  Gonna keep an eye on Cuban, tho!

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, twa said:

He does seem a bit lazy/disinterested, of course they are damned either way.

Lame but par for the course from you. I'd say more but your comments aren't worth the time on here these days. 

Edited by Hersh

Lets start a radicalized liberal thread.  Bunch of buck toothed, lard ass, non working, whining little ****es who get their marching orders from race baiting losers!  Videos dont lie!

/your dumbass logic

/hypocritical douchebags

/this is how goddamn dumb you sound

• Haha 1

McConnell should be accosted.

Probably assaulted, too.

**** all.. decades spent hurling insults and demanding a fight, Now that the other side is ready to sling back you all want to cry.

Sack up and accept what you have created.

~Bang

• Like 3