What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

Here is an option:

"

Bills released OG Richie Incognito.

Incognito was believed to have retired last month, but he reportedly flirted with the idea of reporting to the Bills' offseason program, and has now been granted his release. Incognito turns 35 before the season, but he has continued to play at a high level. He was PFF's No. 12 overall guard in 2017 and No. 7 in pass blocking. If his heart is still in it, Incognito should not struggle to land a starting job on the open market.

May 21 - 4:07 PM"

7 minutes ago, skins_warrior said:

Here is an option:

"

Incognito was believed to have retired last month, but he reportedly flirted with the idea of reporting to the Bills' offseason program, and has now been granted his release. Incognito turns 35 before the season, but he has continued to play at a high level. He was PFF's No. 12 overall guard in 2017 and No. 7 in pass blocking. If his heart is still in it, Incognito should not struggle to land a starting job on the open market.

Beat me to it!

2 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Beat me to it!

I think most of us are thinking the same thing haha, this is everyones new favorite option as a stop gap. At least it is for me. Can't beat having the #12 best overall guard from last year as your starter in your weakest position on your entire team. Man that would be sweet!

50 minutes ago, skins_warrior said:

Here is an option:

"

I would love it if we made this move.

I doubt it happens though after the whole Cravens fiasco last year.  There's only so many times we'd be willing to risk a player quitting on us.

Free agent OG Richie Incognito informed the Bills he will not retire before they granted his release on Monday.

Some teams in the Bills' position wouldn't budge after feeling a player turned his back on them, but Buffalo quickly allowed Incognito to move on and begin engaging other teams. Although he's a short-term fix going on age 35, Incognito is plenty capable of helping a team at guard. The Ravens with ex-Bills OC Greg Roman make sense. The Bengals could also use another upgrade inside.

I know it was mentioned skins might be hesitant to go after incognito because the Cravens issue is fresh in everyone's mind, but I think incognito threw out retirement due to the fact he didn't like his contract and wanted out of buffalo due to them making him restructure.  The guy obviously loves football, but it's his health that may force him to step away.  But a physical would help us determine if he was able to continue.  If the Redskins signed him to a contract that he felt was fair and his physical checks out, that would negate that concern in my mind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/bills-release-richie-incognito-reserve-retired-list/nmzcjnkkugd61c6b1zqa5j4id

Another concern would be incognitos past, including the Jonathon Martin situation.  He is clearly a ball buster who gets under teammates skin at best, and an a hole racist at worst.  I would definitely look into that issue a little more.  I would also pull Trent Williams aside, as the leader of the oline, to get his take on bringing him aboard.  If it's going to disrupt team chemistry, forget it.

But if all of the above checks out, I go after incognito aggressively on a two year deal.  Two years, 10 mil, 6 guaranteed.  Very fair offer considering his situation. He agreed to a 3 year 15 mil deal before he was unhappy with having to restructure, so I think he would gladly take it. And taking our biggest weakness at lg, filling it short term with a pro bowl caliber player on an affordable contract, seems like a no brainier.  We plug that hole at lg, and we are a very well rounded team that should be playoff bound. 

Only one problem, Callahan essentially kicked incognito off the team in 2004.

In February 2004, Incognito was involved in a fight at a party and was charged with three counts of assault. In June, he was found guilty on one of the misdemeanor assault charges and paid a $500 fine. Incognito was shifted to center during the 2004 preseason camp. He entered the season with high expectations, listed on a number of preseason lists as a top center and named to the watch list for the Rimington Trophy going to the best center in college football.[10] On September 1, however, he was suspended indefinitely for repeated violations of team rules. The final straw for new coach Bill Callahan came when Incognito was once again involved in a fight in the locker room. Within a few weeks, Incognito withdrew from all classes at Nebraska and left Lincoln.[9][11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Incognito

Hopefully there are no hard feelings!!!

On 5/15/2018 at 8:38 PM, Veryoldschool said:

It's important to have quality backs and I assume Guice is going to be a quality NFL back but I'd rather have a powerful OL and a mediocre back behind it than a weak at the core OL with a high quality back behind it.  This is the 3rd attempt to upgrade the running game by drafting a better running back, I remember the talk about Jones and Perrine, now we are hearing about Guice.  I hope it works out but I have been wanting upgrades at the LG and C for a couple of years now and they drafted another back.  If the running game isn't improved and by that I mean they acquire the ability to run on 3rd and short and into the end zone from within the 10-yard line, then they squandered another year.   Let's see if they know what they are doing this year, I have my doubts. 

to be fair there was no way we could pass on picking up Guice

Kinda the guy you hate on other teams but would like on yours. I do think he is a head case, but given the general collection of talent and the real possibility of a nice playoff run a 1-2 year stop gap seems like just what we need. More than enough cap space and can extend Scherf.

Icongnito should already be on the plane to Dulles.

With Arie going down it's a necessity.

Speaking of which.. i hate to be a nervous nelly, but holy **** when on earth does this team get a handle on injuries?

How the hell do you get hurt at OTAs???

This team takes so many injuries every single year, and the last few years have been horrendous. More than our share. More than what should be considered the normal level of attrition of an NFL season.

Honestly,, out for the YEAR in MAY.

This team is SO injury ridden they couldn't even wait til CAMP to get their first name on IR.

Who's head has to roll? What has to change?

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

Icongnito should already be on the plane to Dulles.

With Arie going down it's a necessity.

Speaking of which.. i hate to be a nervous nelly, but holy **** when on earth does this team get a handle on injuries?

How the hell do you get hurt at OTAs???

This team takes so many injuries every single year, and the last few years have been horrendous. More than our share. More than what should be considered the normal level of attrition of an NFL season.

Honestly,, out for the YEAR in MAY.

This team is SO injury ridden they couldn't even wait til CAMP to get their first name on IR.

Who's head has to roll? What has to change?

~Bang

This is strange though.  A torn quad?   Are there any details about HOW it happened?  Or if it was even on the practice field or within the fences around Redskins Park?  

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Is it an issue with the training staff, the equipment/field conditions, or both?

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

This is strange though.  A torn quad?   Are there any details about HOW it happened?  Or if it was even on the practice field or within the fences around Redskins Park?  

Yeah, i have no idea what the cause is.. i mean, i don't want to be the usual internet reactionary screaming for someone's job over just anything,, i have no idea why this keeps happening, but holy smokes, it is beyond a 'trend'.

I don't know if i'd put it on the field, because last year we took a whole ton of injuries in Kansas City, and that field is supposedly legendary in it's upkeep. (and if recall correctly, most were tweaks, strains and sprains, and not caused by violent contact.)

I don't know how Arie tore a quad,, OTAs are as non-contact as it gets. I always figure on soft tissue injuries early on in the season, because not only does the CBA insist on not practicing to play football, but the Redskins seem to run a more-than-usual candy camp. There are bound to be hammys, strains, sprains, and other assorted minor (but potentially nagging) things..  I know we don't want to beat players up in practice, but holy smokes, you can't prepare to play such a physical game without preparing your body to hit or get hit. There's only one way I know how to do that... and shorts & shells in practically every camp practice ain't it. Teams like NE and Seattle practice hard.. and i do not see any more injuries than normal for them.. and even a bad year for injuries like the Seaahawks had last year are fewer and farther in between.

It's May.. supposedly the dead time for football. And one team somehow managed to send a key player to IR. After last year's carnage,, i'm nervous.

~Bang

Archived