Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech

Wildbunny

Reading up it appears I'm alone but I dislike this take more than any other move they made. 

Don't get the love for Settle at all personally. People talking him up as a 1/2 player was just mad. He was Day Three on talent and tape all day long.

1 gap NT that thinks he's a 3-tech. But can't 2 gap. Or anchor well at all the run. Decide what the Hell you are! Completely out of condition for a big guy. Looks like a potato with straws in it. Ty's to bend to get leverage but often not successful down to his out of condition shape. There's traits to work with. He plays with some power and pushes the middle of the pocket with some quick inside moves at times. But often doesn't finish the rush he starts. At times a real lazy rusher. Always close but .....

He needs a LOT of work and rounding out the pro-level and isn't seeing much of the field the NFL even in a rotational role anytime soon.

Which is all not bad for the value but when better quality DT/ NT's for depth went before and after him, it's a real maddingly frustrating pick for me. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

It's a great pick, especially in the 5th round.  Another good addition to a talent starved defense. Him, Payne, Allen and the Greek are great building blocks for our D-Line.

If all four pans out, that will be one freaking DL to have for many years. Then we'll wonder how to resign all of them, but that's a good problem to have.

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

i think its it’s important not to get carried away with the love . But equally I don’t see anyone as the finished prospect ... settle has been called out in the past for his conditioning and has had issues with weight in the past and there is clearly more to do ... but as a lump of clay for Tomsula to work with he is a good lump of clay ... 

i would be more upset if he was THE plan but as a bonus who is going to have to work to crack the roster ( loan didn’t in year one ) I can see the upside 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

how the hell did this kid fall to the 5th. His film is great. I'm shocked

He's fat and lazy and not technically sound or great against the run. 

He's basically the exact opposite of Payne. 

What he is is quick and fast for a big man, like Payne. We have a strangely quick pair of big men. 

He's going to be a good fit for the 10-15 play role we need him for. 

22 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's fat and lazy and not technically sound or great against the run. 

He's basically the exact opposite of Payne. 

What he is is quick and fast for a big man, like Payne. We have a strangely quick pair of big men. 

He's going to be a good fit for the 10-15 play role we need him for. 

I think Settle probably is going to be a bit like Morgan Moses. I think he has a ton of upside, but he probably needs a couple of years in a pro weight room and conditioning program, and with Tomsula. With his quickness and size, I do think with time he has pro bowl potential. I just wouldn't expect too much this year. 

On 29/04/2018 at 10:17 AM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Settle is great 5th round value. 

Only issue to control is weight/fitness and that should be something very correctable. He just needs looking after in a disciplined set-up. 

Well it's not like we've got a great Strenght and Conditioning team and a super disciplined locker room with people quitting on a week before the start of the season and such...

I see your point, but we might not be the best team to help him in this case.

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well it's not like we've got a great Strenght and Conditioning team and a super disciplined locker room with people quitting on a week before the start of the season and such...

I see your point, but we might not be the best team to help him in this case.

That's absurd. 1 player quit because he was a quiter, that's not "people", that has nothing to do with the coaching staff. It was the fact that it was too hard for the kid to rehab that he quit, everyone else stayed and was pissed at him. :rofl89:

On 4/29/2018 at 9:49 AM, Koolblue13 said:

He's fairly powerful too.  He's got a large base and bubble and he's good at playing low.  The upper body strength will come too, eventually.  His feet are special for a guy playing at 330.  Very dancey.  Kind of ping pongs his way into the backfield with a chaotic rushing style.  I think I'm higher on him than you and GHH, although I think GHH is right that Settle was rightfully taken day 3.  I'm not as high on him as most on the forums it seems.  I don't understand why people have been penciling him in to have a significant role this year, or even going so far as to say getting him in the fifth made picking Payne in the first obsolete.  As if Payne isn't a massively better prospect.

He's a redshirt sophomore, he was never going to play a big role next year.  But I do think he has unusually good potential to be realized somewhere down the road.  He is an active, energetic lineman who fires off the line and gives you legit push up the middle on passing downs.  And he's got the height and arm length to move around on the line.  I think he can become a starter.  I see a bit of a poor man's Jurrell Casey in the way he plays.  He might redshirt this year, but our DL rotation in 2019 is going to be awesome.

Why is it that multiple people in this thread have called him lazy? 

Is it sarcasm? 

All the reports I read said he was extremely high motor, one report even went as far as to say it was one of his weaknesses as it tends to tire him out too fast. 

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is it sarcasm? 

All the reports I read said he was extremely high motor, one report even went as far as to say it was one of his weaknesses as it tends to tire him out too fast. 

I'd look it up, but just don't feel like it. Maybe I'll get around to it later. 

22 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is it sarcasm? 

He is not lazy at all. He lost 30+ lbs before his senior year and his production went straight up. That is not what a lazy person does. He never gives up an a play. I watched a lot of tape on this guy. He overruns his run support. He rushes a little out of control at times and can look a little lost. But he does have a relentless motor and is a handful for even double teams. 

I hate to take a dallas fans view but this guy is dead on - clip below. He talks about, rightfully so his passion for the game. Watch the 1:18 point where he runs a RB down from behind. He got help with someone making the RB cut. But I notice this because he is chasing the guy! This is a 335 lb NT chasing a RB down field! How is that lazy????  

The second clip ranks the DTs in the draft - Warning there is some heavy language in the background music. Settle is listed 3rd. It lists pros and cons that I feel are pretty accurate. Also provides some clips of Payne - I like Payne but even in his highlights he did not actually tackle anyone. But he has some great athleticism. Good first step. But he gets too upright and you can see that when he tackles. He was not able to bring guys to the ground. That shows in his lack of numbers. But I trust Tomsula can develop him and quick. He has some much raw talent. 

They have Taven Bryan at 5th. I actually had him ahead of Settle at 3rd after Vea and Payne. But all 3 were off the board when I picked in our mock so that's why I took Settle. I saw him as the next guy and we need to stop the run. Settle will surprise as long as he keeps his weight in check.  I believe the Redskins in real life got a steal in the 5th. I think Tomsula will work his butt off and he will respond. 

Report from a guy who thinks Settle is a first round talent (note that this was before his terrible combine showing)

Bischoff | Virginia Tech DT Tim Settle is a first round talent

Virginia Tech defensive tackle Tim Settle surprised the NFL world by declaring for the 2018 NFL draft after his redshirt-sophomore season, and because he is so young, it is possible that teams and scouts are behind on him because nobody saw him declaring. He has flown under the radar for many and is still a bit of an unknown, even as we near the combine.

Settle is a massive interior defender listed at 6’3 and 335 pounds, and there are many natural assumptions that can be made looking at those numbers. As we all know, making assumptions can lead to errors, and that is certainly the case with Settle. He is not just a big body, but a player capable of winning at the point of attack in a variety of ways, including quickness that most men his size do not have.

One of the first things that I look for when evaluating interior defensive linemen is their athleticism. Getting a feel for their quickness, agility, and balance are important. Also, I want to see flexibility and I definitely want to see a player that displays explosiveness. Settle answers these questions pretty easily and in some cases, he is the prototype for what I want to see in these traits.

Rest of article at link.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

What happened at the combine that was so bad?

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/06/2018-nfl-combine-draft-winners-losers/2/

Tim Settle

Tim Settle had the defensive line version of Orlando Brown’s workout. The massive Virginia Tech defensive tackle measured in at 6’3″ and 329 pounds, but really struggled during drills.

Settle posted a 5.37-second 40, a 23.5-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot broad jump. He also had a 20-yard shuttle of 4.83 seconds. None of that was good.

Settle likely ranks as one of the top five defensive tackles in this year’s draft, but his lack of agility and athleticism is pretty disappointing. He’ll have a chance to test better at his pro day, and he’ll need to if he wants to add some helium to his stock.

TIm Settle's Full Combine workout video

On 5/1/2018 at 11:47 AM, redskinss said:

I will do my best to find it but I read in two places there were reports he had gained 40 lbs after the combine.

Edit: I didn't necessarily believe it but seeing him slide to the 5th makes me think smoke/fire. I'm absolutely psyched he's on the team

Archived