Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Troy Apke S Penn St

Wildbunny

On 8/25/2018 at 6:13 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

Reed was a good glue player.  THAT is the kind of player I like, very much. Hail. 

The only problem I had with Reed wasn't even Reed, it was us not getting someone better then him that could solidify his position as exactly what you're talking about.  

From what I'm seeing, that's not what this guy is.  Either he can contribute more then being a liability or he has to go.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:12 PM, dyst said:

We need more of our top two draft picks to hit and be elite type players and beyond that we need our 3-4 round picks to at least contribute. Can’t keep missing on these picks.

I swear there's a big part of me that feels that if we didnt draft Apke in the 4th, he wouldnt have gotten drafted until the 6-7 round, if drafted at all. 

I honestly don't get the amount of hate this guy gets. Yeah he stunk in the last game, just like about anyone else on defense. But here we are talking about a rookie who everyone knew would need some time. I know that many people didn't like the pick in the 4th, me neither to be honest. But come on, cut him some slack. Dooming him after one really bad showing is just not fair. Because he also wasn't so bad in the first two preseason games.

3 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I swear there's a big part of me that feels that if we didnt draft Apke in the 4th, he wouldnt have gotten drafted until the 6-7 round, if drafted at all. 

More than likely. I know lots of teams over draft players but a team like us who struggles to get past mediocrity needs to desperately hit on these picks. 

Everytime we draft it seems like the NFL world is slightly shocked we took a guy that high. Ryan Anderson, Geron Christianson, Apke, Trent Murphy, Josh LeRebuis. And those are just the ones who were over drafted. There are also the ones who where drafted in the right slot but just didn’t pan out. Can’t keep flunking these picks

7 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Kendall Fuller looked bad in his rookie year too.

Fuller was coming off injury his rookie year. He didn’t look anything close to what Apke is displaying. Fullers rookie year was full of him being in position but getting there just a second too late. He was not running around the field like a chicken with his head cut off. The concerning thing is what we are seeing from Apke is putting a exclamation point on his negative draft profile. 

He doesn’t look natural at all. He ran fast in shorts, he hasn’t even flashed on special teams. 

I can't believe this project player is going to be a project. 

Nothing wrong with grabbing a gamble in the back half of the draft. Want to be pissed, be mad they're not addressing it earlier or more aggressively and we end up with DJ Swearinger and Nicholson. 

Also, people are high on Nicholson and we're high on the other safety we took that got injured and glad we drafted them late. 

" has outstanding size and could test well at the combine and his pro day, but his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that. Lack of playmaking production combined with his unsure tackling make him a traits-only prospect who could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression."

That is what NFL.com had to say about Nickleson a year ago. And yet at the end of the year people were noticing him - a lot . Nickleson was also coming off a torn Labum . Why am I mentioning this - Well as others have pointed out a lot of the criticism being levelled at Apke was levelled at Fuller and Moreau and indeed Nickleson in year 1. I was very impressed in the awareness and his clossing speed on the interception on the tipped ball against the Jets last week - and i need to go back but i seem to remember him flashing on some special teams plays too in his short NFL career.... 

Apke for the record was projected all over the shop - from the 4th round through to undrafated (priority free agent) - but remember if Cooley hadn't been drafted by us - he would have likely been undrafted (Parcells said he was a 6th or 7th round prospect at best at a combine interview) - some people said Breeland came out of collage too soon and he was ranked as a priority free agent by some scounting services ... it really is down to what coaches are looking for 

The point is can we stop writing off players ? If this time next year Apke is not on the team then yes - he was a bust but not after a handful of plays in a meaningless preseason game 

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He should play every single down of game 4. Offense, defense, teams, until he looks like a probowler at some position, Ammirite? 

Whats funny is if you look at his weaknesses on NFL.com's combine profile its basically everything he did last game.

4.3 speed, 6-1, seems to have good hands.  We have to find a place for this guy.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Whats funny is if you look at his weaknesses on NFL.com's combine profile its basically everything he did last game.

4.3 speed, 6-1, seems to have good hands.  We have to find a place for this guy.

Not if he can't play we don't.  

I understand that he is a prospect, and I saw the Nickleson post above. But let's be honest, Nickleson is the exception. Most players who weren't productive in college are not productive in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understand that he is a prospect, and I saw the Nickleson post above. But let's be honest, Nickleson is the exception. Most players who weren't productive in college are not productive in the NFL. 

Didn't he only play a year or two at safety? 

14 hours ago, dyst said:

More than likely. I know lots of teams over draft players but a team like us who struggles to get past mediocrity needs to desperately hit on these picks. 

Everytime we draft it seems like the NFL world is slightly shocked we took a guy that high. Ryan Anderson, Geron Christianson, Apke, Trent Murphy, Josh LeRebuis. And those are just the ones who were over drafted. There are also the ones who where drafted in the right slot but just didn’t pan out. Can’t keep flunking these picks

Neither Ryan Anderson or Geron Christian would consider "overdrafts". They were picked pretty much where expected. I'll grant you that Apke, Murphy, and LeRibeus were all overdrafts. Of course, so was Montae Nicholson. And let's face it, Murphy turned out okay in the end. You could nitpick the lack of production early and the fact he was injured an entire year. But literally every team in the NFL has overdrafts and busts and misses. I didn't like the Apke pick when made, but it's also too early to write him off completely despite lackluster returns to date.

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not disagreeing with you but my point is that he has off the charts athleticism so get creative and figure out how he can help us or what position he is best suited to play at this level, maybe it's not safety.

If he's here to be a pro bowl type special teams player that's fine but you have to tackle and he lacks in that category.

39 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

So, if Apke turns into a pro bowl ST selection 3 years I'm hunting everybody down. I think he flashed a couple times thus far. Denver was his worse game and NYJ his best

And if he doesn't do we get to hunt you down (whatever the hell that means)?

Didn't even see the game but heard he looked rough. 

OK so what? He's raw and it's pre season. I know player development is still relatively new around these parts but haven't there been enough examples of players in the last 4-5 years that take big steps that we shouldn't crucify and condemn him for awfulness? 

Come on guys. I saw the Jets game and he flashed a little. Let's practice patience. Also, it's painfully obvious some don't realize the hit rate on draft picks for teams across the league.

We used a 4th round pick on this kid and he has some pretty good athletic talent.

The truth is he's gonna stay on this roster and be given a chance to develop. That can go in either direction, but it's going to at least a year or two to see what he becomes. Who knows, depending on how fast he progresses is can be sooner rather than later

Archived