Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Do I agree he should be gone, probably yes.

But I don’t fall right in line with this, if you can’t be a good little soldier you can’t have privileges, attitude.  Football players are people, young people who make mistakes, not soldiers.  Should there be a limit put on the number of times you’re allowed to make mistakes?  Yes, absolutely there should be.

There's a big difference between making mistakes and committing felonies. I agree that players, like anyone, should have the safety net of knowing a couple of immature screw-ups shouldn't ruin a career but this is a little deeper than that.

• Like 3

But I don’t fall right in line with this, if you can’t be a good little soldier you can’t have privileges, attitude.  Football players are people, young people who make mistakes, not soldiers.  Should there be a limit put on the number of times you’re allowed to make mistakes?  Yes, absolutely there should be.

Huh? He was fired because the attention he brought a private business due to his personal life was bad. That’s just a consequence that any of us could face (though are less likely to because we are not generally in the limelight), not a legal ruling or a cancel culture type thing. Maybe he gets another shot somewhere when the reward outweighs the risks (if it ever does again), he’s not blacklisted. There is a certain point where a player’s talent and contribution to a team can sometimes outweigh the PR hit, sure...Guice is not nearly at that level. 

Your thing about people not needing to be good little soldiers to have “privileges” is just a weird point to make in a case where he’s been accused of three separate instances of domestic violence including the (scientifically significant, in regards to predicting future violence) strangulation charge. It’s not like he got caught speeding with a dime bag in the car. Where is the line for you? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Are you saying that players should be allowed to beat their girlfriends and wives a certain amount of times before being cut and 3 wasnt enough?

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are you saying that players should be allowed to beat their girlfriends and wives a certain amount of times before being cut and 3 wasnt enough?

I don’t know that’s what happened.  I don’t know how you know that’s what happened.  I haven’t heard many facts about anything to be honest.  I’ve heard all kinds of things, how much of it is true I haven’t been privy too.  Is that exactly what’s happened, and both sides agree?

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

That’s because there always has been (a limit). In all walks of life. 

The difficult part of the discussion is acknowledging that each person (and their circumstances) requires a different set of rules. 

Plenty of people get away with more than they should.  I don’t understand your argument.

Just now, Vanguard said:

I don’t know that’s what happened.  I don’t know how you know that’s what happened.  I haven’t heard many facts about anything to be honest.  I’ve heard all kinds of things, how much of it is true I haven’t been privy too.  Is that exactly what’s happened, and both sides agree?

Apparently and the FO already knew and signed Barber right after the second time. TK said a while back he was already in the dog house because he's so immature. He's only played 40 plays in 2 years and hurt his knee again, and got arrested again for strangling his girl, so that was it. It also happened a couple days after Love announced he was 100%. Im all for guilty until proven innocent and honestly it may not be completely related to how many times he beat his girl, but he has absolutely earned his exit.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Apparently and the FO already knew and signed Barber right after the second time. TK said a while back he was already in the dog house because he's so immature. He's only played 40 plays in 2 years and hurt his knee again, and got arrested again for strangling his girl, so that was it. It also happened a couple days after Love announced he was 100%. Im all for guilty until proven innocent and honestly it may not be completely related to how many times he beat his girl, but he has absolutely earned his exit.

If that’s the truth, it’s unfortunate and it’s a lot for him to sort out.  But plenty of fans and reporters were dragging him before he played a down in the NFL.  I can agree with the decision.  And also, I’ve seen people saying that he’s said things that he hasn’t said to my knowledge.  But if that’s what he did, punishment should fit the crime.

• Like 1

It’s also worth noting for the people regretting this on a football level (I’m sure we all are) that it wasn’t that long ago that Doug Williams referred to Guice as a “knucklehead” in regards to his physical rehab so...he was probably already on rocky ground given he wasn’t a Rivera guy and our own player development exec who’s known him since he was drafted considered him a knucklehead. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

3 incidents in 3 months is plenty to go on. He messed around and got burnt. This is on him 100%. We gave him plenty of chances to get his stuff together. Also we were extremely patient for someone who did not produce for 2 years. He feels wronged by the team, well Derrius, “time to look in the mirror.”

The only thing I will say is these charges are still alleged. There are several instances where a player was alleged to have done something wrong, and it turned out to be false allegations.  

I REALLY hope the team has corroborating evidence and they believe Guice did the things he's charged with.  Because it would be insanely unfair if he turns out to be cleared and we released him.  

It really makes me uncomfortable to jump to conclusions on criminal charges because we've seen people get off and we've seen completely fabricated charges.  I'm all for culture change, and I'm for accountability, and all those things.  And if he did do any (not all three, but any of them), then he should be off the team, period.  

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Time to move on, really.

He wasn't Ron's pick. So it doesn't necessarily mean, that the trend of picking the wrong player will continue. So let's see what Ron can do, both subtracting and adding players

But he was Kyle Smith's pick, at least if you believe that he was the one running the draft.  Not that Kyle Smith would push to keep him like Bruce would.  The crowning of Kyle Smith as the next GM needs to be paused a bit.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know you're not replying to me, but I think if they beat their girlfriend once, or even any woman once, they should be released.  What just makes me somewhat uncomfortable is immediately assuming the allegations are true.  I will allow they probably are, and releasing him when they did was probably the the right thing to do.  

But the rush to judgement without the benefit of due process is somewhat concerning. And again, it's REALLY possible the WFT has all the information they need, and they acted prudently.  And they can't tell us.  And I get that.  

Plenty of people get away with more than they should.  I don’t understand your argument.

Sure. When people or businesses, organizations and institutions allow it; what they allow, how much they’ll allow, why they allow it. 

It’s not black and white.

@Voice_of_Reason im in total agreement. Look at our own Foster, although rushing to sign him before finding out was garbage, he does fit that bill.

I will say that he's been on the hot seat before any of this stuff happened, so even if not true and they used it as an excuse to kick the trash out of a crowded position group, because a bunch of professionals wanted to be serious and not want a class clown in there, so be it. He can clear his name and play somewhere else, but if you've already gathered a bunch of strikes against you, your replacement is on the roster twice and then you throw this on top guilty or not? Thats fine. Flush the turd.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Voice_of_Reason im in total agreement. Look at our own Foster, although rushing to sign him before finding out was garbage, he does fit that bill.

I will say that he's been on the hot seat before any of this stuff happened, so even if not true and they used it as an excuse to kick the trash out of a crowded position group, because a bunch of professionals wanted to be serious and not want a class clown in there, so be it. He can clear his name and play somewhere else, but if you've already gathered a bunch of strikes against you, your replacement is on the roster twice and then you throw this on top guilty or not? Thats fine. Flush the turd.

Wait..are you wanting Washington to **** can foster?...for **** sakes he hasn't been in the news and he's keeping his nose clean..let's see what he can do. I'm excited to see what can happen with him jdr and chase

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

No one claimed Guice. He is a free agent.

Good..flip patties with r rice guice..haha I'm a poet

Good god am I missing something? Was foster recently in the news?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only thing I will say is these charges are still alleged. There are several instances where a player was alleged to have done something wrong, and it turned out to be false allegations.  

I REALLY hope the team has corroborating evidence and they believe Guice did the things he's charged with.  Because it would be insanely unfair if he turns out to be cleared and we released him.  

It really makes me uncomfortable to jump to conclusions on criminal charges because we've seen people get off and we've seen completely fabricated charges.  I'm all for culture change, and I'm for accountability, and all those things.  And if he did do any (not all three, but any of them), then he should be off the team, period.

I’ll be honest, I would not be shocked at all if the charges drop. It’s a tough crime to prosecute and he’s got a great lawyer. I think given the context of our situation this was an opportunity to send a message to the entire team. In the end they are (at will) employees and can be fired for no reason. There is a reason we signed Barber when we did for the amount we did. Guice May be the victim of incredibly poor timing and super bad luck.

I usually side with letting it play out in the courts, but given the sexual harassment scandal, name change, and culture change, I’m ok in this case saying goodbye and rolling with what we have. Everyday people get fired for less.

We all need to be responsible for our own actions and 3 incidents in 3 months shows he was continuing to put himself in a bad spot/situation, that’s assuming he didn’t Actually do it. So Ron will sleep fine either way. But I hear you and don’t totally disagree.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

Meh, move this thread to former player, now burger flipper news and next man up.  

Hell, by the time the ‘21 season rolls around they have plenty of time to replace his replacements......

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

We all need to be responsible for our own actions and 3 incidents in 3 months shows he was continuing to put himself in a bad spot/situation, that’s assuming he didn’t Actually do it. So Ron will sleep fine either way. But I hear you and don’t totally disagree.

My only concern is if it comes out it was totally fabricated.  In which case Guice got jobbed.  If none of it actually happened, then he was unfairly released. 

If he gets off on a technicality, I don’t give a hoot.  Cut him.

If he’s just not professional, then that’s a reason to cut him in and of itself.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again we heard all of this when all those other people were hired.  Shanny was supposed to have total control, Bruce was the cap guy and his role was to get the crazy spending and cap back in order.  Sure sounded good at the time.   Gibbs was also given total control as was SM, or so we were told.   

They have tried the proven head coach method, the hot shot college coach or NFL assistant method, they have tried everything. But as long as Danny is at the head of the table it's just hard for me to see much changing.  

I have some sympathy for this point of view. But what is different is there is no one between Rivera and Snyder - no Allen or Cerrato saying and doing what they think Snyder wants to keep their job. Plus right now Snyder needs Rivera a lot more than Rivera needs Snyder.

• Like 2
  • TK locked this topic