Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

6 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

What do you think we will do to fix it.  RB is clearly a need, maybe our greatest one.   Should we use our high 1st on it.  Or do we take a shot gun approach in the later rounds and draft several and hope to hit on Alfred Morris again?

I mean guys like Alfred Morris (perfect guy for the perfect scheme) are rare in the 6th and later, I think if you want a playmaker at that position that can elevate your offense and make it so you dont have to keep throwing valuable 4th-7th rd selections at it, you have to go high (2-3) and look hard at their medical history.

We aren't in a position to play the "If" game anymore. We've "If'd" our way into an entire stable of damaged goods, save for the Kryptonian AP.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I mean guys like Alfred Morris (perfect guy for the perfect scheme) are rare in the 6th and later, I think if you want a playmaker at that position that can elevate your offense and make it so you dont have to keep throwing valuable 4th-7th rd selections at it, you have to go high (2-3) and look hard at their medical history.

We aren't in a position to play the "If" game anymore. We've "If'd" our way into an entire stable of damaged goods, save for the Kryptonian AP.

I feel like we are shifting to getting quality RB's in every round of the draft.  Look at this: 

1 4 Jacksonville Jaguars Leonard Fournette  RB LSU SEC  
  1 8 Carolina Panthers Christian McCaffrey  RB Stanford Pac-12  
  2 41 Minnesota Vikings Dalvin Cook  RB Florida State ACC from Cincinnati [R2 - 6]
  2 48 Cincinnati Bengals Joe Mixon  RB Oklahoma Big 12 from Minnesota [R2 - 9]
  3 67 New Orleans Saints Alvin Kamara  RB Tennessee SEC from Chicago via San Francisco [R3 - 1]
  3 86 Kansas City Chiefs Kareem Hunt  RB Toledo MAC from Miami via Minnesota [R3 - 10]
  3 89 Houston Texans D'Onta Foreman  RB Texas Big 12  
  3* 105 Pittsburgh Steelers James Conner  RB Pittsburgh ACC  
  4 114 Washington Redskins Samaje Perine  RB Oklahoma Big 12 from NY Jets [R4 - 5]
  4 119 Chicago Bears Tarik Cohen  RB North Carolina A&T MEAC from Arizona [R4 - 9]
  4 121 San Francisco 49ers Joe Williams  RB Utah Pac-12 from Indianapolis [R4 - 10]
  4 132 Philadelphia Eagles Donnel Pumphrey  RB San Diego State MW from Kansas City via Minnesota [R4 - 16]
  4 134 Green Bay Packers Jamaal Williams  RB BYU Ind. (FBS)  
  4 140 New York Giants Wayne Gallman  RB Clemson ACC Selection dropped 12 spots (see above)
  4* 143 Indianapolis Colts Marlon Mack  RB South Florida The American from San Francisco  [R4 - 21]
  5 156 Atlanta Falcons Brian Hill  RB Wyoming MW from Buffalo [R5 - 5]
  5 162 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jeremy McNichols  RB Boise State MW  
  5* 179 Arizona Cardinals T. J. Logan  RB North Carolina ACC  
  5* 182 Green Bay Packers Aaron Jones  RB UTEP C-USA  
  6 188 New York Jets Elijah McGuire  RB Louisiana-Lafayette Sun Belt from Chicago via Houston and Cleveland [R6 - 3]
  6 203 Denver Broncos De'Angelo Henderson  RB Coastal Carolina Ind. (FCS) from Tennessee [R6 - 12]
  7 238 Green Bay Packers Devante Mays  RB Utah State MW from Denver  [R7 - 15]
  7 241 Tennessee Titans Khalfani Muhammad  RB California Pac-12 from NY Giants [R7 - 18]
  7 242 Oakland Raiders Elijah Hood  RB North Carolina ACC  
  7 249 Seattle Seahawks Chris Carson  RB Oklahoma State Big 12 from Atlanta [R7 - 21]
  7* 252 Cleveland Browns Matthew Dayes  RB NC State ACC from Denver [R7 - 23]

And don't forget San Fran got Bireda in the same draft as an UFA.  Out of 27 RBs taken, 9 are clear cut starters on their team, 2 are borderline starters, and quite a few more play effective complimentary roles.    So roughly HALF of the ones taken proved to be good, and that includes 7th roudners like Carson.

We can't rely on All Day anymore.  CT is always hurt.  Same goes for Guice.  I say we take 2-3 RBs in the later round.  All of sudden, instant depth and maybe we find ourselves an Aaron Jones (late 5th rounder)

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guice on twitter, seems to be hinting at not the rosiest things.  If they did the MRI hours ago I don't see how they don't have the results.  I've had an MRI, my kid, too.  And in my kids case it was a serious injury, we had the results in minutes after it was done.  Maybe there is something different here?  Otherwise i am wondering if they are just waiting until later in the day to spill so its less newsy.  If you release it at 6 pm or so, you miss the heart of the news cycle for the day.  I hope am wrong and its good news.

Yeh, I am sure they knew what the issue was right away. Not good I would assume.

I REALLY hope Guice doesn't become one of those "what if" guys. He is so good when he is in there. Seems to be a great kid. Just sucks.

Guice is a difference maker when he’s on the field.  Hate seeing the injuries.  

Absolutely need to draft another even though I’m excited to see what Love brings (much like @Skinsinparadise, Guice and Love were my top 2 backs after Barkley in 2017).  I’d draft a back in the mid rounds and then look to UDFA - though if one is the BPA late, I wouldn’t mind double dipping.  I’m hoping for a back with some speed that can be a weapon out of the backfield.  

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Guice is a difference maker when he’s on the field.  Hate seeing the injuries.  

Absolutely need to draft another even though I’m excited to see what Love brings (much like @Skinsinparadise, Guice and Love were my top 2 backs after Barkley in 2017).  I’d draft a back in the mid rounds and then look to UDFA - though if one is the BPA late, I wouldn’t mind double dipping.  I’m hoping for a back with some speed that can be a weapon out of the backfield.  

This 2020 draft is special at RB.  I wasn't thinking about that position before but now am starting to warm up to it. 

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This 2020 draft is special at RB.  I wasn't thinking about that position before but now am starting to warm up to it. 

Sad but true.  Bryce Love had another surgery in October which was expected according to Combine medicals, now Guice once again and the ever aging Peterson. 

Bummer, cause Guice is something special.... 

47 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Sad but true.  Bryce Love had another surgery in October which was expected according to Combine medicals, now Guice once again and the ever aging Peterson. 

Bummer, cause Guice is something special.... 

I think Love's recent surgery was to clean things up and not so serious so hopefully he's OK.

But this draft is possibly killer:  Etienne, Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Harris, Hubbard

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Great news - dodged a bullet. Wrap him up the rest of the year and he’s the man starting next season.

Yea no ****. Put him in a program and lets see him hit the ground like a mad man next season. He wont like it but hes seems to be motivated by challenges like this (which I really respect about the kid) 

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea no ****. Put him in a program and lets see him hit the ground like a mad man next season. He wont like it but hes seems to be motivated by challenges like this (which I really respect about the kid) 

He’s special. When healthy.

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Great news - dodged a bullet. Wrap him up the rest of the year and he’s the man starting next season.

Thing is you cant really trust him to be the guy next year. I think with his constant injuries you can really only count him as a switch up back. I am excited to see what Love has in camp next year. But we are going to have to find another guy.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thing is you cant really trust him to be the guy next year. I think with his constant injuries you can really only count him as a switch up back. I am excited to see what Love has in camp next year. But we are going to have to find another guy.

AP is under contract for next year. Guice, AP, Love, CT (free agent).

Glad to hear about Guice. I have been one of his biggest supporters from the start - even before the draft. I will assume they will give it one more year to see if he can break the injury bug. I will still look for some support in the middle rounds. If Love shows able, it would be a tough call but you could let CT go. It's not like he has been the picture of heath himself. 

Need to hedge your bets if you can. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

AP is under contract for next year. Guice, AP, Love, CT (free agent).

Yea I like this. AP can have the hard yards. Need a long 1 - AP. 

Love as a change up and hopefully he can/ will learn to catch and run routes 

CT as that change up if he is here - if not find you a guy that can. 

Guice can do it all and I would let him have about 10 carries a game. He can be dynamic like that I think. 

Personally I think thats a good way to use all the positions on the roster. Keep them all involved and give them all a role. Im sure there are problems with this that I haven't thought of though. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Need to hedge your bets if you can. 

I feel like we are in a good position to take risks. But this is me admitting to myself we wont be good for a year or two. Im not sure if thats a good mindset for a HC or GM to have. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I feel like we are in a good position to take risks. But this is me admitting to myself we wont be good for a year or two. Im not sure if thats a good mindset for a HC or GM to have. 

I know where you're coming from but honestly, I wish thta was the mindset the GM and the HC would bring to this organization. I can't stand the "we're close" mentality anymore. Just admit that this team right now is not a contender. Clear house and start building around the young talent we have for once. Don't put the pressure on the team and franchise to succeed right away but build something sustainable.

And that mindset would also allow you to take risks and not hedge every situation. It's worth giving Guice a shot to be the lead back. You can still draft a RB in the later rounds or pick up a stud if he falls. Just go for talent. A roster isn't built in one off-season.

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Edit

I get what you are saying but that to me is a huge risk  2 oft injured RBs, one coming off major injury and the other well into his 30s. Not saying we should be thinking 1st rd or major FA - more thinking mid rd draft or maybe a specific FA that could be in a support role. 

Having said that - I can totally see going with those 4 especially if there isn't anyone I like in the middle of the draft or a decent FA. It's not the worst plan. 

I love Thompson, but yeah, it’s time to draft a replacement.  Not a pure 3rd down back, but a guy that can handle some carries as well.  

I’m not too concerned about Guice - backs tend to have a short shelf life anyway and I think Love will pair well with Peterson if/when Guice gets injured next year.  Just need a better option than Smallwood as the 4th.  

27 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think it's amazing that after taking a direct shot to the planted leg he didn't incur another tear. That shot would injure any player regardless of injury history. So I am still hoping it's more fluke than the norm with DG.

He got lucky because his leg was actually in the air and not planted

Archived