Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Again hard to see where AP gets a carry or makes a difference.

There was play before half that we ran it on third down with CT that I commented should've been an Adrian Peterson run.  I know it because Jay almost went for it and Peterson would've got it. 

It's hard to say how much of a difference he would've made if were talking in the scope of Jay not wanting to make sure he gets carriers, he has the best vision if all the running backs that's why he still make something out of nothing so often. 

Asking if would've won is missing the point, but since you asked, this was a single digit game when all was said and done.  Anything that could happen didnt happen because we didnt put all our cards on the table.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There was play before half that we ran it on third down with CT that I commented should've been an Adrian Peterson run.  I know it because Jay almost went for it and Peterson would've got it. 

It's hard to say how much of a difference he would've made if were talking in the scope of Jay not wanting to make sure he gets carriers, he has the best vision if all the running backs that's why he still make something out of nothing so often. 

Asking if would've won is missing the point, but since you asked, this was a single digit game when all was said and done.  Anything that could happen didnt happen because we didnt put all our cards on the table.

That was a third and two call where we ran out of spread.

Another charge I hear about Jay is we are predictable about personnel packages and run/pass calling is predictable based on personnel (some validity in the charge). Guess he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

Regarding Guice... I thought he ran funny today. Like he thinks this is peewee ball and he's the fastest kid in the league. That **** ain't gonna work in the NFL.

Regarding AP, I'm allowing that there is a distinct possibility that he actually is done. I know he had a good 2018 but when those guys hit the wall, they hit it hard. I can think of quite a few RBs who were ProBowlers one season and then out of the league two years later.

Posting this reminded me... Remember when we signed Shaun Alexander? He was MVP two season prior. I think his season long run for us was -8.

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Another charge I hear about Jay is we are predictable about personnel packages and run/pass calling is predictable based on personnel (some validity in the charge). Guess he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

Yeah he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Jay has been the coach from what 2014. The guy hasn't won anything. So yes he should be criticized for what he's done as this teams head coach. Win games and we won't be talking about what he did bad.  

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

What difference do you see AP making to any of the above?

I agree with you, and I think you make your case well.

Put more generally, there is only so much any RB can do to make up for the fact that we got dominated in the trenches today.  That is the core reason we loat.  And tbh, the score didn't really reflect how badly we got outplayed on the lines because we were able to stick two huge plays in the first half following breakdowns in the Eagles' secondary which made out score look good in spite of our futility.

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He runs like a guy playing his first NFL game coming back from a bad injury. Honestly, I expected as much, which made the "The offense will go rhrough Derrius" stuff all the more peculiar.

Add in the suspect line and questionable coaching/scheme and, well, you get what you got. Eagles D arent slouches either

I expected that to be bluster and missdirection almost from the coaching staff and I thought we would have some kind of exotic AP / Guice backfields instead of this supper vanilla rubbish ... Your up 17 points that is exactly the kind of game you can hand off 55 times as Gruden dismissed 

2nd and 10 you could have kept Guice in or AP if he was up, but we went 11 personnel opted to spread them out and run CT from what looked like a pass set. 3rd and 2 we again stayed in a pass look and had that direct snap to CT where he came up inches short.

I really can’t see how AP either got on the field or had an opportunity to make any difference to the outcome if he did today. We would have needed much more time of possession and running situations to get AP 4 or 5 carries. And he’s not a back who gets going with 4 or 5 carries anyway - not many are.

The play calls are different with AP in the game, is my point. When CT is your change of pace, the plays we saw were what we got. He came up short. We'll never know what the plays called and their results would be in that alternate timeline, but my bet is it goes better. That's my point. My point is not that if you magically replaced CT with AP in any exact scenario we were in tonight he easily busts a TD (though who knows). Everything would have been different, is the point. Butterfly effect situation. 

And this is ALSO assuming that he wouldn't have been more effective than Guice in his first NFL game, changing yet more down and distance situations and hence the entire game.

It's a dumb conversation to even dig this deep into, obviously, for which I apologize. Because everything would have been different with different downs and distances leading to different playcalls and outcomes and so on. I just don't get defending the choice with such dedication. It seems obvious to me that things turn out different enough to possibly change important drives with AP on the field. Because he's better, at least better than CT, and aside from a couple decent gains we did very little on our mostly totally telegraphed runs. 

20 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Guice vs Barkley watch

Guice 10 carries, 18 yards.

Barley, 11 carries, 120 yards.

Yikes

2 different opponents 2 different offensive lines. Hell Gallman the backup had 2 carries for 17 yds. Also Barkley had 60 yds come from one run as well.  Missing Trent I think showed up big in the run game today though. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

2 different opponents 2 different offensive lines. Hell Gallman the backup had 2 carries for 17 yds. Also Barkley had 60 yds come from one run as well. 

Is Dallas' run defense really that bad ?

I guess next week we'll get to see, when Guice faces the same defense that Barkley did in Week 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Holtz looked great. That was weird.

In what way ? Blocking for Guice ?

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I guess next week we'll get to see, when Guice faces the same defense that Barkley did in Week 1

Not sure, they seemed bad today. Either way Guice isn't Barkley and I don't think anyone has said he is. I also don't think Guice is what we saw today. Also as crazy as it sounds Barkley has had some bad games in the NFL rushing. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Guice vs Barkley watch

Yikes

40 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Barkley is the best RB in the league. He can be effective against great DL/defenses and he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball either thru handoff or receiving. 

He is an absolute stud that is a rare talent. 

That Guice isn’t comparable to him isn’t fair to Guice and I’m not even a fan of him

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

So using your best short yardage back on short yardage is predictable now?  You certainly dont get an award for being cute jus to be different if you dont get the yardage in an unpredictable fashion. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So using your best short yardage back on short yardage is predictable now?  You certainly dont get an award for being cute jus to be different if you dont get the yardage in an unpredictable fashion. 

3rd and 2 is a passing down in today’s NFL.

But in answer to your question. Yes it does. Being predictable is not necessarily bad as long as you can physically dominate up front. When you are getting you ass kicked up front though in the run game (on both sides of the ball) its probably not going to end well.

Eagles might be the best run stuffing team in the league.  Jay leading up this game heavily hinted that the offense would run through Guice against the Eagles.  Instead he threw the ball against them to exploit that weakness.

I like Peterson so this isn't me slamming him but I am using the post below to bring home a point.   Disappointing start from Guice but it doesn't shake my belief even a little that he is going to be a monster level RB. 

3rd and 2 is a passing down in today’s NFL.

But in answer to your question. Yes it does. Being predictable is not necessarily bad as long as you can physically dominate up front. When you are getting you ass kicked up front though in the run game (on both sides of the ball) its probably not going to end well.

Then why did we run?  Why are defending that we did this with it wouldnt of mattered?  This is bigger then the box score, Guice wanted AP to play, there were reports of players being upset about right before kickoff.  This absolutely mattered, big picture.

Was it worth it?  Did that special teams player make enough of a difference to be worth the fact AP is going to demand a trade if this keeps up? 

You asked for a case where having him might of helped, you responded it would've been obvious run on a play we shouldnt run on but we ran on, and didnt get it. Why are you defending that?  That doesnt make sense.

You keep trying to focus on the game, why arent we taking about how Jay snapped when asked about it during the press conference?  Peterson sounds in his dog house, I'd like to know why before I even consider defending this.  At minimum, this was not the best game to make Guice his first, hes coming off a knee injury, saying hes the workhorse first game makes less sense then benching AP, I dont care if they activated a different running back.

Best way I can sum up Gruden when it comes to predictability:

When he is predictable and needs to go off script - he doesn't.

When he is predictable and needs to stick to the script - he doesn't.

He has a penchant for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time over and over again. Granted, that happens to all coaches. But it seems to just be this stand out thing with Gruden.

For comparison, did you notice how the Eagle run game took off once Pederson started handing the ball off to Sproles? And then Myles and Howard (who I think is their best back) got going, too? 

I feel like AP's absence negatively impacted the psyche of the team to the point that the running game wasn't going to work without him there.

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Guice vs Barkley watch

Yikes

Some of our fans got excited when we drafted Guice because they felt he was just as good as Barkley. 

Archived