Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Actually, tactically, an argument can be made at the very least. Having said that, from a team building perspective this was a total fail. AP is well liked by his teammates and was the offensive MVP last year. If they weren’t going to use him he needed to be released. 

Its a 16 game season. Jay needs to win and he thinks one horse and a plus player on STs is the way to beat the Eagles. That might not be the case some weeks or down the stretch. And sure it pissed off some vets, but if you’re a young guy looking around I’m sure they know between the Doctson cut and this that pedigree don’t mean ish.

All that being said, if I were Jay, I wouldn’t make him inactive. Just felt like being a contrarian, but can’t imagine AP not being one of the top 46 guys. The drama aspect of it I could care less about. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Actually, tactically, an argument can be made at the very least. Having said that, from a team building perspective this was a total fail. AP is well liked by his teammates and was the offensive MVP last year. If they weren’t going to use him he needed to be released. 

How can it tactically make sense to give a 2nd round guy, coming off an injury who has zero yards in his NFL career the start versus? I could understand if this was giving Zeke the start over AP but what has Guice shown so far? Even in preseason AP looked better than Guice. More playing time, sure but to make AP inactive, it makes zero sense.

Should have traded Trent and AP when we had the chance. Will probably lose both for nothing now.

Just now, dyst said:

How can it tactically make sense to give a 2nd round guy, coming off an injury who has zero yards in his NFL career the start versus? I could understand if this was giving Zeke the start over AP but what has Guice shown so far? Even in preseason AP looked better than Guice. More playing time, sure but to make AP inactive, it makes zero sense.

Disclaimer: I wouldn’t have done this. AP as an active back up makes sense.

but...

Jay doesn’t like AP in his ear. Having him active allows that to happen, which distracts him. AP also doesn’t play on special teams. 

To be contrarian to myself: keeping him active gives a workhorse backup option, keeps wear and tear off or Guice, keeps the offensive MVP active and avoids locker room bull****.

16 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I don't see any scenario where Gruden looks like a genius even if Guice goes for 250 yards and we win. Why get off to a bad start in the locker room with a hall of fame vet who not only carried us last season but at some point this year may be called upon once again to shoulder the load. Plus they are already saying on ESPN some players in are locker room don't like this. Why? Why manufacture drama Jay ?!

I hear your sentiment and I’m not even saying you’re wrong or anything but to me it’s much worse than that because the bottom line is you play your best players. I’ll wait for someone to tell me that AP isn’t in our top 46. Hell, he’s probably top 5!

There is no justification for that. 

We go into the season opener against a division foe without our best back. This makes zero sense, and the special teams angle doesn't validate the decision to make him inactive. Gruden could've reached into another position group and made someone inactive. But AP? Come on, man. This coach has lost what his mind. If things go south today, this is the last thing we need heading into next week's home opener against the ladies from Texas. Will AP be active then? Jordan Reed will be back, so who is inactive in Week 2? I hope every Skins fan in that stadium (and hopefully it's not a sea of blue in there) should wear their AP jersey.

Y'all are in mid-season form in losing your collective minds and we haven't even kicked off yet. 

Maybe, just maybe, the team knows enough to be confident this gives them the best opportunity to win today?  

I get the fact that under no circumstances, has this organization earned the right to benefit of the doubt.....but sheesh.  Let it play out and let's get some popcorn and hope Guice goes bananas on Philthy today. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jay doesn’t like AP in his ear. Having him active allows that to happen, which distracts him. AP also doesn’t play on special teams. 

Is there any proof this was going to happen?  It happened in New Orleans.  Maybe AP has learned from that?  I haven’t heard one word where AP has already been demanding more carries.  

So it seems like taking action action to solve a problem you don’t know you have yet. 

In the flip side, IF AP has already been in Jay’s eat, then I get it.  Having said that, I still feel the better solution is to split carries anyway because both AP and Guice are good and why not have more good players play?

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Y'all are in mid-season form in losing your collective minds and we haven't even kicked off yet. 

Maybe, just maybe, the team knows enough to be confident this gives them the best opportunity to win today?  

I get the fact that under no circumstances, has this organization earned the right to benefit of the doubt.....but sheesh.  Let it play out and let's get some popcorn and hope Guice goes bananas on Philthy today. 

We have seen 25 years of evidence not to buy what the team is selling....

People complain about our injury issues...but most of our real problems always feel self-inflicted. 

AP is a top talent on the team. Works as hard or harder than anyone on the team. Only reason we were competitive for parts of last season, and we gave him a two year extension. Guice being healthy and looking like a stud was forseeable. We needed to keep an extra ST's guy somewhere else, not piss off everyone because we need...Smallwood active?

**** that. Now every time Guice (who is coming off an ACL) needs a breather, instead of AP slashing through a tired D with a slightly different style, we have CT who is fragile and more of a passing threat, or a total JAG. 

It's just mismanagement. That's not even getting into how the locker room feels, I usually don't think that's productive to speculate on unless we know for a fact. But it's pretty clear AP is a respected leader here. He's a HOF'er who's still got it. 

Again, entirely self-inflicted drama here AND we'll be worse off for it on the field. 

12 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Only in Beltway Hot Take land can an inactive 34 year old RB in week one be considered a controversy.

I get the logic of what Jay is doing.  It doesn't sound crazy at all.  Yet, the drama unfolding from this is predictable.  And Jay walked into it.  If he's cool with it than I am fine.   Guice I think is going to kill it this year but got some concerns about this game -- Eagles D line is stout and often coming off of an ACL it takes some time to find the old gear back. 

It's almost like Gruden never wanted to use AP in the first place. In that game last year against the Eagles, AP ripped off a 90-yarder for a TD, but only had 8 other carries all game long. Crazy. He finished with less than a 100. Who kept AP under 100 in that game? Wasn't Schwartz, it was Gruden.

The idea that the staff spent the last two weeks constructing and practicing a gameplan that featured AP strongly but then decided to make him inactive at the last minute and that this doesn’t “sit well with the veterans” makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.  Everybody in the locker room suspected he would be inactive by Tuesday, at a minimum.

15 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Only in Beltway Hot Take land can an inactive 34 year old RB in week one be considered a controversy.

Pretty dumb to pretend it can be boiled down this simply. It must be exhausting doing these mental gymnastics in order to defend the team. 

When Guice comes off the field, one of our other best players won't be replacing him and pounding a tired D. CT (who should also be on a snap count) or Smallwood will be, and defenses will breathe easier. So that a scrub can play ST's. It's that simple. 

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pretty dumb to pretend it can be boiled down this simply. It must be exhausting doing these mental gymnastics in order to defend the team. 

When Guice comes off the field, one of our other best players won't be replacing him and pounding a tired D. CT (who should also be on a snap count) or Smallwood will be, and defenses will breathe easier. So that a scrub can play ST's. It's that simple. 

If, like last year, we end this year with AP as our MVP...then the year is a total failure.

Embrace the future.  We’re gonna ride Guice and Keenum and sling the ball all over the yard 2016 style baby!!

29 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

We go into the season opener against a division foe without our best back. This makes zero sense, and the special teams angle doesn't validate the decision to make him inactive. Gruden could've reached into another position group and made someone inactive. But AP? Come on, man. This coach has lost what his mind. If things go south today, this is the last thing we need heading into next week's home opener against the ladies from Texas. Will AP be active then? Jordan Reed will be back, so who is inactive in Week 2? I hope every Skins fan in that stadium (and hopefully it's not a sea of blue in there) should wear their AP jersey.

It is like they deliberately are trying to **** this up. I despise this move.  Against a super stout D.  A moment that may be too big for what is for all intents and purposes a ROOKIE. I hate this move. Gruden has officially proven to me he sucks at this thing called coaching.   It is already a divider in the lockeroom I bet.   Screw this stupidity.  AP was WHAT last year?  

I for one will be fake praying for these guys.... So a piece of lint doesnt blow through the air and hit Chris Thompson, shredding his aeorta making Wendy Smallood come in, and so after Jay Gruden sends Guice smacking into the back of an O linemans fat ass on 1st down for the fifteenth time he doesnt just collapse in a heap.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If, like last year, we end this year with AP as our MVP...then the year is a total failure.

Embrace the future.  We’re gonna ride Guice and Keenum and sling the ball all over the yard 2016 style baby!!

Then we shouldn't have given him a two year extension with guaranteed money. Or we should have traded him. 

Archived