Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

15 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Good game to watch.  Allows us to see our top 2 draft picks going at each other.

The thing to keep in mind is that Guice had an injured his ankle most of the season and played through it - including the Alabama game - something else that makes me question these maturity rumors. The better game to watch to see his abilities and if he healed well is the bowl game against Notre Dame.  Lot's of good plays. But I especially like the run at the 0:45 mark - breaks a tackle then delivers a deadly stiff arm to get more yards. Also, I love the catch and run at the 3:00 mark. Breaks though 2 tacklers at the end to score not just happy making the catch and getting the yards. Keep in mind this is POST injury. He was arguably at or close to full strength by the bowl game. 

I watched the press conference where Guice and Payne were introduced and the thing that got me the most excited was when Guice said Trent Williams was the first person that called him to express how excited he was to get to block for him. That’s all I need to know. Can’t wait to see Guice out there.

For the second year in a row a supremely talented football player at a position of absolute need fell to the Redskins!  There was no way Allen should have fallen to the Redskins at pick #17 last year and drafting Guice at #59 this year was 10 times more insane!  Especially when you take into account that six (that's right six!!!) RBs went ahead of him!

Someone out there is tired of watching mediocre football from this team year after year.  I'm open to suggestions as to why fate is smiling so brightly on this team in these last two drafts.  One thing we can contribute it to is fear from these other organizations.  Like exhaustion, fear can make cowards of us all.

For many years the Redskins organization has been unable to get out of its own way.  Sometimes you need a little luck to see your way clear as an organization and the Redskins got some.  I have four words for all the organizations that passed on Allen and Guice over and over again:  Thank you very much!!! 

I have no doubt the Redskins, especially Allen and Guice, will show the NFL their profound appreciation in the coming years. :)  

1 hour ago, dahibachi said:

I watched the press conference where Guice and Payne were introduced and the thing that got me the most excited was when Guice said Trent Williams was the first person that called him to express how excited he was to get to block for him. That’s all I need to know. Can’t wait to see Guice out there.

Considering he's largely blocked for gumps most of his career, I can see why.

1 hour ago, dahibachi said:

That never happened. The NFL did an investigation and could not verify Trent saying that. Guice lied.

Watching the highlight video in the OP, I see a pretty natural catcher of the football. Get his hands out there and plucks it. Definitely doesn’t look like he has Alfred Morris hands. If his hands are good (just untested) that adds an extra level of excitement for me considering the way Jay likes to use backs in the passing game.  

5 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Wow... I just watched that riding with the rookie and came out with a whole new perspective on Derrius.

I definitely need to retract some of the draft day comments I made. His emotional quotient should be closely monitored by the organization, I feel he has enormous opportunity for growth or setback. I hope the organization can guide him down the right paths. He seems genuine, something completely opposite I was saying 2 days ago.

I saw a good kid with a big heart in that clip. He will be vulnerable and I hope we can steer him away from troubles. Really excited to see him succeed. 

I don’t know, with his childhood I can’t imagine he’s particularly naive. And if he made it though all that without getting into trouble with the police or failing drug tests I’m not too worried about him now moving to Ashburn.

15 minutes ago, LuRedskins said:

I don’t know, with his childhood I can’t imagine he’s particularly naive. And if he made it though all that without getting into trouble with the police or failing drug tests I’m not too worried about him now moving to Ashburn.

I think the high school counselor/friend that they spoke to in that video described it really well, and it makes sense. When he was a kid growing up he never got to actually be a kid because he spent his time surviving in a dangerous and hostile environment, for the most part without a father as well. So when he got to a better place and wasn't in that situation anymore he was able to actually enjoy being young and do kid sort of stuff. So in a way it's emotional immaturity but not the kind I'd be alarmed about...just need to make sure he keeps his head on straight and doesn't allow it to dovetail into anything bad.

But apparently he doesn't drink or smoke or anything like that and hasn't had any criminal issues so it seems that the "emotional immaturity" (if that's even truly the right phrase) just comes out in things like his personality and playing video games and doing silly sort of stuff which is pretty much harmless. And I'm fine with that. He seems like a good kid who has a funny personality and who truly loves to play football.

19 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Good game to watch.  Allows us to see our top 2 draft picks going at each other.

That was the game, the Alabama one, which made Cooley switch from I am falling in love with the player and is worth the 13th pick -- to heck no way.   Obviously, I disagree with him.  The dude was banged up but heck still played decently.  You can see in that game among other things that he can make something out of nothing -- Alabama D line got good penetration that game.  You can also see in that game he has good hands.

I've watched a lot of Guice. More than any player in this draft.  Love the player.  After Fitzpatrick probably my favorite in the draft.  I vacillated about taking him at 13, sometimes I went yes, sometimes I went no but that's purely about the depth at the RB position this draft.  I like Barkley better.  But Guice was easily my 2nd fav.  But if Guice is the 2016 version -- I'd take Guice over Barkley by a hair.   Guice IMO is a better insider power runner which fits our duo based power scheme.

The dude has amazing balance, vision, quick feet, shiftiness, power, can make lateral cuts with the best of them -- and if he regains his 2016 form, explosive too.  He played against 7.25 in the box on average.  That's more than any RB had to deal with.  The game plan to stop LSU was to stop Guice. 

My favorite clipping of Guice to showcase explosiveness is this one

Also love that the dude is a tone setter -- sort of the offensive Sean Taylor type.  Gives punishment and enjoys doing so.  Plays with passion and oomph.  We have so many quiet and laid back guys on the offensive side of the ball.  The way this dude plays and his personality I think will be contagious in a good way. 

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Talk about a teaching moment for that kicker.  

Forgot which game it was but I recall an LSU game (I don't think anyone ever put it on youtube) but he had one of his feisty runs, mauled a defender, the guy jawed back at him, Guice goes right back in his face.  Then it spilled over to some of the LSU players and the opponent's (forgot the team) players getting heated with each other, almost turned into a brawl.

I actually loved watching all of that.  It harkens me back to the 2016 season ending loss to the Giants.  The Giants have some serious SOBs on their roster.  I recall all their talk before the game about how much they'd enjoy knocking the Redskins out of the playoffs.   

The rhetoric leading up to that game felt that the Giants wanted it more badly than the Redskins did. I commented on that the week leading up to the game.  Hyperbole to make a point but the Redskins looked like they were in coma that game.   

The one guy towards the end of the game that started playing angry was Garcon.  If you recall he took I think it was a short dig for an extra 8 yards or so on the ground, running angry for a first down.  It seem to awaken the team a little.  Guice to me plays like that all the time. 

Crowder, Doctson, Jordan Reed, Kelley, Perine, Thompson -- all come off like super nice guys.  Quiet and shy.  They IMO need a little nasty-feistiness to stir the pot.

I wondered if it was just me on this track.  But Cooley and Portis who played the game and know locker rooms have echoed this point.  You need personality-tone setters. 

@Skinsinparadise I love that 2016 TD video. And while I love watching him bust heads and break huge runs, the stuff that I liked watching even more were his red zone and goal line runs. That's when, IMO, you really get to see what kind of back a guy is because everything is compressed and everyone knows what's coming for the most part (especially with LSU's 1980s offensive system).

Sometimes you'll have a guy who is just so big and powerful that he can just bowl his way in. Sometimes you have a guy who is smaller but has the lateral agility and vision to find the tiny creases down there and us them. Guice seems to have both of those. There were some where he just straight up went through people. But there were also plenty where he made some incredibly nifty moves with deft footwork and found creases that were hardly visible to my eye. That's something we've been missing.

My favorite one was at the :41 mark where Guice starts out going right, runs into a defender about to get penetration, sees a lane way to his left, and in about .5 seconds laterally shifts from one side to the other without losing any speed or power and hits that crease, then makes another cut back inside and takes it in. This all happens within about 6 yards of the goal line. That's a pretty amazing combination of vision, balance, and footwork in a very confined space.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sometimes you'll have a guy who is just so big and powerful that he can just bowl his way in. Sometimes you have a guy who is smaller but has the lateral agility and vision to find the tiny creases down there and us them. Guice seems to have both of those. There were some where he just straight up went through people. But there were also plenty where he made some incredibly nifty moves with deft footwork and found creases that were hardly visible to my eye. That's something we've been missing.

Agree, having quick feet, vision, making fast & good decisions and being able to run through a small crease -- huge for short distance-goal line situations.   Ditto though his ability to break tackles. 

To me two runs define the season last year.

A. The couple of potential runs against the Rams with Robert Kelley showed no vision in the open field when he broke loose and just oddly ran right into the defenders instead of dodging them.

B.  The slow moving 3rd and 1 with the game on the line against the Saints.  i was there.  From what I recall Perine took his usual time to burst up the field, if I recall a Saints safety blitzed from the left, Niles Paul was supposed to block him but whiffed and the safety brought Perine down, ultimately with help.

Looking at those plays.  Guice would have likely taken those two runs against the Rams to the house or at least for another 10-15 yards.  And on 3rd and one with the game on the line against the Saints, Guice would have likely been up the field a tick faster and even if met by the safety, good chance he would have pushed him off.  Check out this clip.  Now Guice isn't Superman but can you imagine the dude brought down on 3rd and 1 with the game on the line?  I can't. 

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

I like the Guice pick but we are still weak at LG and center.  

That’s not entirely true.

You can’t be weak at a position if there isn’t a player who plays that position on the roster.

We have no LG

I think C will be fine.  Your center is responsible for double teams and that’s about it in the run game.  

The run run scheme is also stupid and predictable.  Here’s hoping Jay figures out what everybody else has...

I think it's possible that his ex agent said some negative things about him.  But that wouldn't explain the reports from draft analysts that front office people from "multiple teams" said that he showed up for interviews late, and really left a negative impression.  Even if a lot of concerns are based on speculation and rumor, it sounds like Guice also didn't do himself any favors with how he approached the interview process.  Time will tell if any of this stuff actually means anything.

What stood out the most to me in his 2016 footage (and many things stood out, like speed, elusiveness, and power) was how quickly he gets up to full speed.  His stop/slow down and restart is off the charts.  He's like a sports car that goes from zero to sixty in a flash.  He appears to be at full speed after two steps.  The young man is no joke!!!

Archived