Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This seems to be the general consensus, but I'm not convinced that he'll get fired if we struggle.  He's got another year left on his contract.  We drafted him a quarterback, I think he's going to get another year and whether or not he gets another extension is going to depend on how Haskins looks in the 2020 season.

Oops! I had thought this was the final year of his contract aka "dead man walking".  I feel like an idiot.  I do see he remains voted most likely to be fired first, by the books.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Oops! I had thought this was the final year of his contract aka "dead man walking".  I feel like an idiot.  I do see he remains voted most likely to be fired first, by the books. 

I don't think it would surprise any of us if he got fired after this season should we miss the playoffs.  That's basically the way we've been doing things in the Snyder era.

But it's not the strategic move IMO.  We can postpone a decision on Jay until the end of the 2020 season because of the extension he signed in 2017 and we should do so, unless the team shocks us this year and wins a lot of games.

It's just bad business to fire a coach whose basically been mediocre without a QB or a defense, immediately after you finally got him a QB and a defense.  It's an unforced error.

The way I think this plays out is we win 7 or 8 games again, Keenum starts most of the season unless he gets injured, and the Haskins comes in towards the end of the year after we've been eliminated from the postseason.  He looks decent, we get some help for the offensive line and secondary, and then we go into 2020 as the decisive year for Jay Gruden's tenure here.  Either Haskins looks good and we take a step forward into the postseason and Jay gets an extension, or Haskins struggles and we miss the playoffs again and Jay walks.

Seasons where the Head Coach is on an expiring contract are often dicey, but that's how I think we play this one out.  The only way I see Jay getting fired this year is if the wheels fall off this season and we look absolutely horrible.  I've got a lot of faith in this defense though, I think we win 7.

Allen's future is the bigger question for me.  I'm honestly not sure what it will take for him to get fired.  I could absolutely see him surviving Jay Gruden getting fired.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think it would surprise any of us if he got fired after this season should we miss the playoffs.  That's basically the way we've been doing things in the Snyder era.

But it's not the strategic move IMO.  We can postpone a decision on Jay until the end of the 2020 season because of the extension he signed in 2017 and we should do so, unless the team shocks us this year and wins a lot of games.

It's just bad business to fire a coach whose basically been mediocre without a QB or a defense, immediately after you finally got him a QB and a defense.  It's an unforced error.

The way I think this plays out is we win 7 or 8 games again, Keenum starts most of the season unless he gets injured, and the Haskins comes in towards the end of the year after we've been eliminated from the postseason.  He looks decent, we get some help for the offensive line and secondary, and then we go into 2020 as the decisive year for Jay Gruden's tenure here.  Either Haskins looks good and we take a step forward into the postseason and Jay gets an extension, or Haskins struggles and we miss the playoffs again and Jay walks.

Seasons where the Head Coach is on an expiring contract are often dicey, but that's how I think we play this one out.  The only way I see Jay getting fired this year is if the wheels fall off this season and we look absolutely horrible.  I've got a lot of faith in this defense though, I think we win 7.

Allen's future is the bigger question for me.  I'm honestly not sure what it will take for him to get fired.  I could absolutely see him surviving Jay Gruden getting fired.

I agree with most of this except I do think there is a good shot that Jay gets fired.  As for Allen, he just recently said the stadium announcement is a year or so away.  Between that and Kilgore from the WP fishing around on the topic where he was told its Bruce, Bruce, Bruce when it comes to the lead on the stadium -- i am guessing his future is secure for at least one more year. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Although most on this board have mocked Jay's play calling for most of his tenure, I am one who believes he has not gotten a true shot with a healthy roster. Our injury luck has been dreadful the past 3 or 4 seasons. Like, truly and completely horrendous. (Did I mention disasterously so?)

If we can just stay healthy this season (and get Trent back, hopefully healthy for 16), we'll see what Gruden has. I'm unimpressed with our entire passing game personnel and I'm not sure Manusky is the right coach for the talent we have on defense but I really do like Jay Gruden as a person and I'd love to see him get a shot at coaching a healthy squad.

I can't wait to see AB get surrounded by the media :ols:

The modern day coverage of sports is over the top.  More and more and more non stop coverage and "reporters" in your face. 

I am glad Guice pushed back at them they probably swarm him because he makes their job simple.  

Full on proper game face is answering every question with "my sole focus is on beating Philly" and looking really annoyed.  Belichek has a career in consulting after he retires.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We are showing a tremendous amount of confidence in Guice.

Yes, but based on what? After a couple of games, sure. But now we gamble on practise info that he can carry it all game. And if he goes down we go to Chris? With all due respect but Jay is not going to give Thompson 20 carries...so at that point we just air it out. I don't get why we just don't keep A.P and Guice. We want to grind teams. Let's then have two grinders. Smallwood playing is not going to improve the odds of us winning games more then A.P imo. 

6 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Yes, but based on what? After a couple of games, sure. But now we gamble on practise info that he can carry it all game. And if he goes down we go to Chris? With all due respect but Jay is not going to give Thompson 20 carries...so at that point we just air it out. I don't get why we just don't keep A.P and Guice. We want to grind teams. Let's then have two grinders. Smallwood playing is not going to improve the odds of us winning games more then A.P imo. 

Smallwood has 10 starts in this league, so he’s perfectly capable of serving as a change of pace guy for us...or anyone.  We all saw AP get ground down last year...he had next to nothing left in December.  So, I suppose we’re looking to keep him fresh for the stretch.  And there’s nothing crazy about wanting to do that.

Earlier this week, Case said something to the effect that we were gonna come out “all guns blazing”.  Making AP inactive certainly lends some credence to that.

Personally, I’d prefer to have him active.

What is basically at the root of carrying 3 or 4 backs. Jay carried and has carried 3 backs active on game days, right? Who was his #3 last year... it wasn't Perine the 1st and 2nd down back. It was Marshall, Bibbs..... so which type of backup back does he need today, as 10 point dogs, with CT and Guice as his active locks. If we are going to worry about injury he HAS to carry 4 backs - then who gets sat?

Smallwood has the revenge factor, if such a thing exists. He has 200 career carries just like CT. Last year Jay carried a CT backup more often than AP, even though AP post major injury was hardly proven durable himself. Smallwood is 511ish 200pounds.

At least with an injury at RB coaches have options. Go pass happy 5 wide. Pull a GB and  use TMC as a RB. Its not a like a LT going down, who has to battle every single play. Heck CT has started games for us yes even having injuries in his career.

I have to stick to my prediction AP will be inactive today, to allow better flexibility at another prediction.   For the final time, I want to see AP active today, and not see CT forced into a heavy load.

EDIT -  reading other posts got me googling..... We announced AP as inactive already?????  What the hell that is horrible coaching further making things too easy on Philly. 

50 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We are showing a tremendous amount of confidence in Guice.

I don’t think this is a sign of confidence. You can have confidence in Guice with AP active. This sounds like agenda to me. I’ve worn the tinfoil hat on the AP/71 relationship being an issue for the Skins, and this makes it seem even more true.

Why would you make your best bench guy inactive before game one knowing that it’s going to cause a ton of tension?

If this was the plan they should have cut him. 

Not a fan. It feels like a tank job. And this has nothing to do with Guice. I like Guice. I think he’ll do awesome. But having AP to spell him is a boon to our offense.

Ill wait to see what happens before final judgement but upfront I’m not a fan.

I still think it was an easy prediction.  AP makes a 4th string RB salary, if those things are ever an indicator.

When has Jay ever carried 2 1st and 2nd down only backs active on games days. I only recall last year conclusively. Yeah I know Perine is no AP but its not about them, its about flexibility, and what other position is going to be sacrificed for AP to (hopefully largely) stand on the sideline all day, as we allow Jay's vision of Guice dominating to be tested.

Smallwood can be a backup kick returner. Heck he can start there.  Backup 1st and 2nd down back. Backup hands back. Backup all down back.  He may even be a backup guy on coverages, or maybe even start.  AP did exactly one of those last year.

To dress 4 backs, what position is going to be short one player over what Jay did last year. Dare I think carrying an extra OL makes sense since few want to see Haskins in vs Philly.   We had no evidence that Jay was going to change his game day roster blueprint.

Archived