PCS

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The big issue is that by now, the entire NFL KNOWS he fumbles. And everything he gets the ball, teams will make a concerted effort to go after the ball, because they know he puts it down, which will exacerbate his problem. If he plays much, it will get worse before it gets better, if even indeed it does get better. Tiki Barber is the only guy I think think of that got better, but that was only be started holding the ball in a completely different way, the way that most RB's are taught to hold the ball now. He was the first guy I remember doing so.

In other words, I don't see Perine getting much better. And considering how strong he is, this really should not be the issue it is.

I was really pretty excited about the pick, but he has disappointed me. I don't think he runs that hard for someone that is as strong as he is.

I recall he also had issues positioning himself to get the ball from the QB on the handoff last year.    I guess what makes me hang on to him a little bit more is his size and strength.  Plus I just like to give any rookie another shot.   But listening to what I did today, it makes me doubt Perine a little more if that's indeed what the coaches think of him.

I wonder about Marshall.  He's pegged more of a pass catching RB but if he's really 225 pounds as what's said on the Internet -- he'd have the size to take a pounding.  My pessimism is really squarely doing an apples to apples comparison between Kelley and the other backs in the division.   Part of my level of intrigue about Marshall and Bibbs is they represent a bit of an unknown and at least look more explosive.  

Kelley to me is a nice story and a back up.  I just can't get into a RB who I don't think has either burst, speed or vision.  He's a tough runner and has good ball security but that's not enough IMO.  That goes double to me with the RO and RPO (especially the RPO) -- you want someone with good burst, vision, good hands and can turn the corner fast -- that's not Kelley IMO.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall he also had issues positioning himself to get the ball from the QB on the handoff last year.    I guess what makes me hang on to him a little bit more is his size and strength.  Plus I just like to give any rookie another shot.   But listening to what I did today, it makes me doubt Perine a little more if that's indeed what the coaches think of him.

I wonder about Marshall.  He's pegged more of a pass catching RB but if he's really 225 pounds as what's said on the Internet -- he'd have the size to take a pounding.  My pessimism is really squarely doing an apples to apples comparison between Kelley and the other backs in the division.   Part of my level of intrigue about Marshall and Bibbs is they represent a bit of an unknown and at least look more explosive.  

Kelley to me is a nice story and a back up.  I just can't get into a RB who I don't think has either burst, speed or vision.  He's a tough runner and has good ball security but that's not enough IMO.  That goes double to me with the RO and RPO (especially the RPO) -- you want someone with good burst, vision, good hands and good turn the corner fast -- that's not Kelley IMO.  

I agree. I'd take either Marshall or Bibbs over Kelly, and Perine. I'd honestly give Alfred Morris a call, bring him in, and run with Morris, Thompson, Marshall and Bibbs at this point. Alf might not have the explosion, but he DOES have good vision, doesn't drop the rock, and DOES get tough yardage. Yeah, that means cutting both Kelly and Perine.

Byron Marshall impresses me a lot more than either Kelley or Perine. He can be as dual threat back which is what Gruden looks for and displays better vision and agility than either.

• Like 3

As bad it is to lose Guice, he'll finally heal the injury that he didn't in college.  Part or maybe a lot of that is on him  IMO.  Hopefully he comes back fully healed and ready to tear up the league in 2019.  Next man up

• Like 1

Just started looking to the condensed version of the game on NFL.com.  They don't have coaches tape yet but you can slow things down and see some things.  First play that they show Kelley.  First play on Guice

Kelley -- the crease to me is obviously to his left.  he seems to be though looking to his right.

kelley1.thumb.png.bfd06a0b0c109bea18f41ba83b105adb.png

What does Kelley do. He runs up the butt of his lineman, gets about a yard.  And I get the crease wasn't that big in that situation but as Portis likes to say it often isn't big.     You have to see the crease quick, and run skinny through it.

kelley2.thumb.png.edaf3e2a16e036abffb7ecf4a344c134.png

Guice -- first play though showed on the condensed version of the game.  He gets out quicker.  He sees the hole.

guice1.thumb.png.c1932b197d81028a5fd63ebfda6f68af.png

he's locked in

guice2.png.505dd71b913ccfa6c07a0fe72f0ac974.png

he bursts through.  He also has the wheels at times to take a run like this and run for 30 yards plus like he did that game.  He's IMO has better vision, better burst, better speed, quicker feet, more wiggle, more power than Kelley and for that matter any RB on this roster.  It's like comparing a Ford Fiat to a Ferrari.                                                                

guice3.thumb.png.5adc09336195fdd41c37aee5682ee6e4.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

he bursts through.  He also has the wheels at times to take a run like this and run for 30 yards plus like he did that game.  He's IMO has better vision, better burst, better speed, quicker feet, more wiggle, more power than Kelley and for that matter any RB on this roster.  It's like comparing a Ford Fiat to a Ferrari.             

Look at that last picture - Wellman putting up a powerful, crushing block to set Guice free.

Then each of the 2 pics above him, there his again, doing the same thing.

Then watch the replay from behind the line, of the 34 yard run - Wellman again putting up a dominating block, without which Guice does not break free.

Sure seems we could use a guy like Wellman. Why did we get rid of him ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000947230/article/jay-gruden-redskins-not-looking-to-add-veteran-rb

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Look at that last picture - Wellman putting up a powerful, crushing block to set Guice free.

Then watch the replay from behind the line, of the 29 yard run - Wellman again putting up a dominating block, without which Guice does not break free.

Sure seems we could use a guy like Wellman. Why did we get rid of him ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000947230/article/jay-gruden-redskins-not-looking-to-add-veteran-rb

Slow that big run down, you can see Guice is looking right at the hole.  You will see two defenders who possibly can grab him, he eludes them -- then the run is even more impressive as he gets down the field and shoves players off of him.  This dude IMO is a rock star level good RB.  

As for having a FB, there is a value to it, I agree, it might end up being Kelley playing some there.  Kelley's strength to me is he's a tough guy -- he played FB in college that might actually be his best role ultimately.

• Like 1

On August 11, 2018 at 9:00 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

I commend those of you who are still optimistic about this season.  I’m sure many consider it an overreaction, but I find myself on the verge of rooting to end up with a top 5 pick so we can let Preston walk next offseason and draft Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa (who are absolute MONSTERS). 

I wouldn't get too pessimistic, you never know how a season will unfold.

As a Cowboy's fan, I was never more sure that a season was over before it started than I was in 2016 when Romo was hurt in his first preseason action.  In Romo's final 20 starts, he was 16-4.  When backups played during that span, Dallas was 1-8.  It was crystal clear that Dallas had no chance unless Romo played.  

Then in 2016, Dallas ended up at 13-3 without Romo.  I gave up on the season before it started, but they ended the season debating if they should play their starters in the last game to set the franchise record for wins in the regular season (as they had already locked in the best record in the NFC).  

You never know when a team will put together a magic season.  

1 hour ago, Nerm said:

I wouldn't get too pessimistic, you never know how a season will unfold.

As a Cowboy's fan, I was never more sure that a season was over before it started than I was in 2016 when Romo was hurt in his first preseason action.  In Romo's final 20 starts, he was 16-4.  When backups played during that span, Dallas was 1-8.  It was crystal clear that Dallas had no chance unless Romo played.  

Then in 2016, Dallas ended up at 13-3 without Romo.  I gave up on the season before it started, but they ended the season debating if they should play their starters in the last game to set the franchise record for wins in the regular season (as they had already locked in the best record in the NFC).  

You never know when a team will put together a magic season.  

You wouldn’t have been anything close to 13-3 without having that top 5 pick to draft Zeke... which is kind of my point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Byron Marshall impresses me a lot more than either Kelley or Perine. He can be as dual threat back which is what Gruden looks for and displays better vision and agility than either.

Yeah I am somewhere here, too.  I'd give him a shot.

So when should we expect Guice back? I think he should be good to go for training camp since his injury is so early in the season.

12 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

So when should we expect Guice back? I think he should be good to go for training camp since his injury is so early in the season.

I personally think he'll be ready for training camp next season.

He is only 20 years old, and should heal quickly.

He might miss OTAs and mini-camp, though.

• Like 1

I am really hoping Bibbs gets the job unless they just give Thompson the bulk. I don’t care how little Chris is, he’s a playmaker and he’s proved it. He deserves more touches 

Edited by redskins4ever28

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I personally think he'll be ready for training camp next season.

He is only 20 years old, and should heal quickly.

He might miss OTAs and mini-camp, though.

All in for week 1

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I am really hoping Bibbs gets the job unless they just give Thompson the bulk. I don’t care how little Chris is, he’s a playmaker and he’s proved it. He deserves more touches 

He broke his leg last year. He's been injured in a regular basis. There is a reason he should NOT get a large amount of touches. He's still coming back from a serious injury, and giving him a lot of touches is basically going to put him in IR again.

• Like 2

Come on Kelley isn't close to as talented as Guice but when he wasn't hurt he played fine. Not great, but definitely acceptable starting caliber. 

• Like 2

Im a running back by committee kind of guy. I just think there are maybe 5-8 premiere backs worth the salary or high draft pick. If you dont have one of those, best bet is running back by committee. In part bc Id rather spend the cap/high pick on other more important positions and bc youre not married to one player who may get injured.

With all that said .... man, I was starting to get on that Guice train just from the few carries he had and his personality/happiness.

Part of what makes competitive sports so attractive to me is the invested emotions. As sad as it to say, a close game with the skins scoring to take a lead might be the happiest 2 min of that week for me (obviously outside of coming home to your wife and kid etc).

With the highs .. come the lows. You cant truly appreciate the highs without knowing just how low low can get.

Sad for Guice, happy he is taking it well.

• Like 1

@Why am I Mr. Pink? I 100% agree but I was in love with guice after how he played through injury last year. I'm glad Doug Williams didn't call me and ask if they should draft him in the first, especially if there was a trade down there. I would have said yes. Daron Payne was PUNKING the jets Oline yesterday , embarrassing them like holding a short kids head while hr tries to punch you.

They made the right choice in the draft imho, and guice is gonna get his knee INOVAed up like my brother, who tore his ACL a year ago and is about to compete in a jiu-jitsu tournament in October 

edit; and my bro doesn't do it as a full time. job.  ALL. IS WELL. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

On 8/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, Bang said:

Gosh, you're right.

If only there was a pattern or something...  like, if our top picks ALL have been injured and all but Payne missed all or more than half of their entire rookie season for the last 3 years running. Or like if we had more games lost to injury than any other team last year and routinely see double digits of players missing more than half the season on IR, which they have also done the last three years running.

but yeah, probably just an outlier. There's likely no reason at all behind the fact the injury bug gets his mail delivered to Redskins Park. 

~Bang

I agree the Redskins have had a lot of injuries. 

My question was how does a rookie one month with the team prove there is an issue?

5 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I agree the Redskins have had a lot of injuries. 

My question was how does a rookie one month with the team prove there is an issue?

How Master Blaster would handle being the judge in a court case....

Prosecution: "Your honor, the prosecution has detailed the brutal murders of 15 different people over the past 4 years. We have photos and eyewitness testimony of the defendant holding the bloody knife in his hands, moments after his last murder. His DNA was found at each of the murders scenes, including the last one he committed while being observed by 4 different witnesses. We have also shown the recordings of him committing manslaughter while driving away from the last murder scene. We rest our case."

Judge Master Blaster: "My question is how does one manslaughter prove he is a serial murderer?"

Prosecution: *Incredulous stare*

Judge Master Blaster: "I find the defendant innocent of all charges, case dismissed."

Edited by NickyJ

On 8/12/2018 at 1:24 PM, Morneblade said:

I'd honestly give Alfred Morris a call, bring him in, and run with Morris, Thompson, Marshall and Bibbs at this point. Alf might not have the explosion, but he DOES have good vision, doesn't drop the rock, and DOES get tough yardage. Yeah, that means cutting both Kelly and Perine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000947638/article/niners-signing-rb-alfred-morris-pending-physical