PCS

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

I've read a few reports that Ronald Jones has really struggled catching the ball out of the backfield at Tampa Bay practices.  Thank you Buccs, for passing on Guice. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've read a few reports that Ronald Jones has really struggled catching the ball out of the backfield at Tampa Bay practices.  Thank you Buccs, for passing on Guice. :)

We stole one didn't we?:)

• Like 7

On 6/15/2018 at 10:29 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Should be interesting to see how well Clinton Portis fares in his RB assessment considering he was a paid consultant to the team.

He was a big Guice guy.  Also Walton.  And Michel.  He thought Ronald Jones and Kerryon Johnson was overrated and he wasn't in love with either player.  He though Chubb would work out as a wear down the defenses type of guy but not at the beginning of the game.

Sticking on theme for me, I just caught up with a number of NFL shows I recorded.  Did I miss something and the NY Giants won the Superbowl last year?  The get a segment as one of the three most hyped teams in the league in one show.  On ESPN and NFL Network they got covered just about every day.  Is it really that intriguing to have Beckham and Barkley on one team?   I do think they had both a killer draft and potentially a really good FA -- but still they have ways to go IMO -- I still think them passing on Darnold for Barkley will burn them over time.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here is a different look at Guice - it's based on his performance coming out of college as compared to previous pro-bowlers since 1969. They look at 3 criteria, total offensive market share production, age, and athleticism.  The opening screen gives it away. Guice is #2. No surprise that Barkley is #1. But the only thing keeping Guice from #1 is speed. He talks about it. Again, I found it an interesting look. 

There are no highlights. This is all numbers and charts. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Here is a different look at Guice - it's based on his performance coming out of college as compared to previous pro-bowlers since 1969. They look at 3 criteria, total offensive market share production, age, and athleticism.  The opening screen gives it away. Guice is #2. No surprise that Barkley is #1. But the only thing keeping Guice from #1 is speed. He talks about it. Again, I found it an interesting look. 

There are no highlights. This is all numbers and charts. 

Thanks for posting.  I thought it was interesting, and since that video was made in early 2017, I went looking for other videos of his to see if he had made a more recent one.  I found the below video, where he goes through each of our draft picks' profiles.  Guice, Settle, and Quinn seem to be the sure-fire starters, and maybe pro-bowlers, according to his method, while Payne is "maybe" a starter due to his low production scores, and the other guys will likely be busts.  I can't say I agree with the results on some of the players, but it is definitely interesting and unique.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thanks for posting.  I thought it was interesting, and since that video was made in early 2017, I went looking for other videos of his to see if he had made a more recent one.  I found the below video, where he goes through each of our draft picks' profiles.  Guice, Settle, and Quinn seem to be the sure-fire starters, and maybe pro-bowlers, according to his method, while Payne is "maybe" a starter due to his low production scores, and the other guys will likely be busts.  I can't say I agree with the results on some of the players, but it is definitely interesting and unique. 

He looks at very few metrics here.  He doesn't include arm length for Offensive Tackles but instead compares 40 yard dash?  That seems like a bad correlation.  How can you discount his athleticism based on metrics when he only has one data point and not the other tests such as 3 cone, broad jump, etc?

15 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He looks at very few metrics here.  He doesn't include arm length for Offensive Tackles but instead compares 40 yard dash?  That seems like a bad correlation.  How can you discount his athleticism based on metrics when he only has one data point and not the other tests such as 3 cone, broad jump, etc?

It was hard for me to tell if he was only going off what was learned at the combine/pro day in terms of ‘athleticism’.  As in, was it just because of Christianson not participating in other events that he only mentioned 40 time?  In his analysis of backs, he talks about needing at least one elite athletic trait and includes the other events.  

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

It was hard for me to tell if he was only going off what was learned at the combine/pro day in terms of ‘athleticism’.  As in, was it just because of Christianson not participating in other events that he only mentioned 40 time?  In his analysis of backs, he talks about needing at least one elite athletic trait and includes the other events.  

He has to only be going off of the 40 time.  Where could he be getting any of these other numbers from?

23 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He has to only be going off of the 40 time.  Where could he be getting any of these other numbers from?

Christian did not participate in any of the other drills so he only the speed to go off of in terms of athleticism. This is purely a data driven look. So the analysis is only as good as the data available. 

Another thing it does not take into account is injuries. Shaun Dion was injured a lot so that threw his production numbers way down. Of course, it also means he could continue to be plagued by injury which is why the metric is developed the way it was. It also does not take into account the competition. 

Still, this is comparison to all the Pro-Bowl and All Pro players since 1969 and how our draft picks stack up against those averages. Averages are just that, averages. Will some players not fit the frame? Of course. But overall, with almost 40 yrs of data, the predictive model is pretty mature. 

It will be interesting to see how this fairs in say 5 yrs. It appears he has only been doing this the last two years so not enough data to measure him. When I get a few minutes I am going to look at a few of the 2017 draft projections of his and see how they are so far. 

• Like 3

I just donated 25 dollars because my son begged me to have him play him in fortnite but I didn't want to be chinsy and only donate 5 bucks. 

Hopefully he comes through because my son is all excited. 

• Like 2

So Guice is faster than Djax. NICE!!! 

Is there anyway we can have him cover Djax when we play Tampa? :D

24 minutes ago, zskins said:

So Guice is faster than Djax. NICE!!! 

Is there anyway we can have him cover Djax when we play Tampa? :D

May want to look look a little closer. I am pretty sure 22.6 is > 22.3.  ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

May want to look look a little closer. I am pretty sure 22.6 is > 22.3.  ?

I am pretty sure Djax speed from 2 years ago is not the same in 2018. ;)

• Confused 1

Something that’s actually pretty cool is that Guice and D Jax have the same 10 yard split of 1.55 seconds. So even though D Jax has better long speed, Guice is ridiculously quick for his size. 

For reference, David Johnson has a split of 1.57 seconds and Zeke Elliot has a split of 1.58 seconds. 

Saquon was slightly quicker with a 1.54 split. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I am pretty sure Djax speed from 2 years ago is not the same in 2018. ;)

Data is data. So unless he has been timed that's not something you can actually state as a fact. The only facts we have are that while close, Jackson is slightly faster than Guice.