PCS

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

With Guice as clear favorite and some excitement over Carter out of Grambling...  I can see Perine slide over to FB role if Gruden wants that in his playbook.    Perine did play this position from what I remember in Oklahoma or was this Fat Rob that played FB???   Anyways if we can slide one of those guys in to FB role I think we justified keeping 5 RBs.   Otherwise Fat Rob and Perine are flighting over a single roster spot.

• Thanks 1

Don't like comparing the Portis acquisition to Guice's aquisition. One of the worst, if not the worst, trade in Redskin history.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On May 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

The infamous 3rd and 1 play in NO that arguably sunk the season.  That one was difficult.  11 on 11 right on the line of scrimmage you don't see that all the time.  So really no holes on that play unless you dart to the outside.   Though my arrow points to the daylight if he darts quickly in that direction, he had a window albiet a small one. 

Perine ultimately cuts just to the left of Niles Paul and gets slammed down by the defender.  Only shot on this one it looks like was to skirt quickly to the outside to the right.  All he needed is one yard.  If you got a back with some speed and good vision they would have likely made it. Guice? ;)  

Ironically I think if Thompson was in on that play instead of Perine they would have made that first down and perhaps saved the season.  Sadly, as we know, Thompson got hurt earlier in that game. Though granted their alignment might have been different to defend Thompson.

tperinestopped3.png.6a5579ee3680b5ddd5817ad3ef803cb1.png

I look at a play like this (and forgive me Mods for quoting a picture) and all I see is a horrendous play-call on 3rd and 1.  It looks like Ty is being asked to cut across the line and seal off that backer while Roullier is already on the second-level and Niles (I think) is attempting to seal off the edge.

I firmly believe that Guice has the rare athleticism/vision that we haven't seen since Portis-- but even HE can't push through a play-call like this.  No chance he can break to the outside, because Niles will never hold that block.  (Personell-wise, he shouldn't have been asked to do this. Same with Ty pulling across the line.) Maybe we get lucky and Guice explodes that LB's facemask for the first down?

I'm going directly off this screenshot and don't remember the full-motion play develop, so I may be completely off-base... but this **** looks like a mess. (Like Jay's run-game every Sunday since he was in Cinci.)

I'm stoked to have (who I feel is) a special talent at running back this year... However; if we keep running this cookie-cutter, predicable, unimaginative, washed-out game-plan between the trenches... Everyone is gonna be sitting here arguing about our OL when we have it better than like 25 teams in the NFL right now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

I look at a play like this (and forgive me Mods for quoting a picture) and all I see is a horrendous play-call on 3rd and 1.  It looks like Ty is being asked to cut across the line and seal off that backer while Roullier is already on the second-level and Niles (I think) is attempting to seal off the edge.

I firmly believe that Guice has the rare athleticism/vision that we haven't seen since Portis-- but even HE can't push through a play-call like this.  No chance he can break to the outside, because Niles will never hold that block.  (Personell-wise, he shouldn't have been asked to do this. Same with Ty pulling across the line.) Maybe we get lucky and Guice explodes that LB's facemask for the first down?

I'm going directly off this screenshot and don't remember the full-motion play develop, so I may be completely off-base... but this **** looks like a mess. (Like Jay's run-game every Sunday since he was in Cinci.)

I'm stoked to have (who I feel is) a special talent at running back this year... However; if we keep running this cookie-cutter, predicable, unimaginative, washed-out game-plan between the trenches... Everyone is gonna be sitting here arguing about our OL when we have it better than like 25 teams in the NFL right now.

I was actually at the game and didn't notice this when it unfolded which was it was a straight up 11 versus 11 on the line of scrimmage.  Rare to see that in the open field. That's usually a goal line stand drill.  The Saints corner on the left turned inside when Perine started running in that direction.  Guice might have had a shot because if you run to the the right edge you can push off the corner perhaps.  As Portis likes to say about Guice you need two guys to take him down.  He would have faced though two defenders unless he ran to the outside.   Agree on this one Perine didn't have much of a chance -- he's a powerful guy but not to the degree where he seems like a hard guy to take down if you catch him before he builds any momentum. Looking at the last frame, looks like Nsehke was too slow to get to the right, he was pulling, leaving a Saints defender free. 

skinssaints.png.b01e562fd1f28b708e33de2698385f0f.png

perinestopped4.png.658c6154b6e1309bbb148cda23df611a.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This Chris Thompson interview on the Locker Room sounds to me like he has assigned himself to mentor Guice.  CT is such a good guy and teammate!

The Guice conversation starts around 3:23 mark -

https://player.fm/series/redskins-media-the-team-980/ep-05-03-18-chris-thompson-with-inside-the-locker-room

I'm so glad we stood by this dude. His first few years were bunk and we held fast. What a great payoff. Core redskin. 

7 hours ago, nonniey said:

Don't like comparing the Portis acquisition to Guice's aquisition. One of the worst, if not the worst, trade in Redskin history.

Not even close. RG3 was the worst. Champ was gone regardless because of his own bs. It was similar to the eagles trading Carter. Only crime to portis was making him bulk up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm so glad we stood by this dude. His first few years were bunk and we held fast. What a great payoff. Core redskin. 

Not even close. RG3 was the worst. Champ was gone regardless because of his own bs. It was similar to the eagles trading Carter. Only crime to portis was making him bulk up. 

Totally agree about Thompson.  

Not sure Griffin should count as a ‘trade’.

Champ for Portis (given the positional importance and financials) was uneven on the surface.  Then we added a 2nd rounder.  I think (and thought) it was a horrible deal.  Sure, you have to factor in that Champ didn’t want to be here, but trading a 2nd to make up for that leverage was not a sound move, IMO.   

Overpaid for Portis I agree but at least he was good.  If I had to pick on a bad trade involving a RB -- trading a 3rd and 4th for Duckett.  Gibbs panics because Portis gets banged up in a preseason game.  He ends up fine.  Duckett hardly even played and was just a guy when he did.  Talk about a lack of respect for the draft -- that trade among others.

I recall calling into a show called Redskins Lunch hosted back then by Michael and Weinstein and Gibbs took questions once in awhile on the show.  I talked to him a few times.  One of those calls I go, you guys got Cooley with a third round pick.  Why are the Redskins so willing to give away third round picks in trades -- you can really get good players if you held on to them.  It hurt me to ask my idol a question like that but it angered me so much the habit of trading picks.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@SkinsinparadiseMan, sure looks like Paul is blocking Moses on that last pic, lol.  

LOL, it does look like that doesn't it?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Totally agree about Thompson.  

Not sure Griffin should count as a ‘trade’.

Champ for Portis (given the positional importance and financials) was uneven on the surface.  Then we added a 2nd rounder.  I think (and thought) it was a horrible deal.  Sure, you have to factor in that Champ didn’t want to be here, but trading a 2nd to make up for that leverage was not a sound move, IMO.   

It's pretty much a 2nd for Portis, cause champ was gone anyway. I'd always make that deal. 

3 high 1rsts and a second only to have a 4rth rounder take over, look legit and then walk. If it wasn't for Ditka, that's the worst deal ever. 

Man, that Duckett (spell check changed it to sucker :ols: ) trade was bad. We had some great signings under Gibbs, but man we had some pricey busts. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, nonniey said:

Not even close.  I can think of 5 acquisitions over the Snyder years that put the Portis one to shame(?)

RG3 (1 good year for basically 2 #1s and a #2)

Campbell (any questions?)

Duckett (gave up some good picks for nothing)

Brunell (could have had him for nothing and gave us only 1 good year)

Big Daddy (gave us 1 good year for 2 #1s)

Portis gave us 4 decent years, two (including one of his best) where he was the only offensive weapon we had!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sjinhan said:

With Guice as clear favorite and some excitement over Carter out of Grambling...  I can see Perine slide over to FB role if Gruden wants that in his playbook.    Perine did play this position from what I remember in Oklahoma or was this Fat Rob that played FB???   Anyways if we can slide one of those guys in to FB role I think we justified keeping 5 RBs.   Otherwise Fat Rob and Perine are flighting over a single roster spot.

It was Perine that played FB in college.  In fact, some felt that was why he did not have the college career his freshman year promised. He also took quite a few snaps at FB last season before Kelly went down.  Couple of the cutups look like he'd be an excellent choice for leading Guice. Given that we are probably going to only have 3 TEs on the roster and I don't think we want Anderson (who played FB for us several times last season) or Payne playing part-time FB, I actually see Perine as a FB and the primary backup for Guice.

• Like 1

Both Fat Rob and Perine played blocking FB extensively in college. Perine lined up as the leas blocker for chris thompson at least one time last year during the regular season if I remember correctly 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nonniey said:

When evaluating that trade, you have to keep in mind that champ Bailey wanted out of Washington. Because without a doubt portis is not worth a hall of fame cb in his prime along with a second rounder.  But flipping Bailey along with a pick for a premier running back at least makes the trade a little more palatable.

Similar dynamic when people evaluate redskins decision to go with Alex smith over Kirk cousins.  Cousins wanted out and wasn't going to be here long term, so I feel it was more of a decision to choose Alex smith over colt McCoy, not cousins.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Not even close.  I can think of 5 acquisitions over the Snyder years that put the Portis one to shame(?)

RG3 (1 good year for basically 2 #1s and a #2)

Campbell (any questions?)

Duckett (gave up some good picks for nothing)

Brunell (could have had him for nothing and gave us only 1 good year)

Big Daddy (gave us 1 good year for 2 #1s)

Portis gave us 4 decent years, two (including one of his best) where he was the only offensive weapon we had!

Has nothing to do with what Portis gave us he was very good.  Problem was in the value of the trade. The Redskins sent a more valuable player (vastly more valuable)  and then threw in a 2d round pick for an excellent RB . It would be like trading a Bugatti or Koenigsegg for a BMW and then throw in 100K with it.    

Edited by nonniey

15 hours ago, nonniey said:

What??? This is a trash take. We overpaid but we got a top tier back in return. If you want an example of a bad trade it would be the ones for McNabb and RG3.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

It would be like trading a Bugatti or Koenigsegg for a BMW and then throw in 100K with it.    

Its more like the lease was ending in a month on your Bugatti and it wasn't going to be yours no matter what after that anyway. So you let someone else have it (and they renewed the lease themselves) and then bought a $140,000 bmw for $100,000 from them as well. 

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Its more like the lease was ending in a month on your Bugatti and it wasn't going to be yours no matter what after that anyway. So you let someone else have it (and they renewed the lease themselves) and then bought a $140,000 bmw for $100,000 from them as well. 

We had options but we just got taken. No ands, ifs, or buts, we got taken in that deal. Whoever negotiated that deal should never be allowed by his family to be the one sent to a car dealer to purchase a car.

17 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I actually see Perine as a FB and the primary backup for Guice.

I think this combo would also work on 3rd and short. It could be a run, a pass to Guice (who was decent in college) or a pass to Perine. With both Guice and Perine, the D is thinking ‘run’. But they have to play soft on both edges because both can swing out to the flat. If the edges stay in tight, Alex Smith has an easy pass to either RB. If the edge rusher(s) rolls out to cover the RB(s), our QB can have more time in the pocket. Or one RB stays in to block. If the D run blitzes, our TE can run a hitch behind the middle LB. Could be an exciting combo. 

Edited by JaxJoe
Typo
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, nonniey said:

Has nothing to do with what Portis gave us he was very good.  Problem was in the value of the trade. The Redskins sent a more valuable player (vastly more valuable)  and then threw in a 2d round pick for an excellent RB . It would be like trading a Bugatti or Koenigsegg for a BMW and then throw in 100K with it.    

Very good analogy but while arguing it makes it the worst trade in history you're conveniently forgetting that on several occasions we traded two bugatti's for an 84 ford pinto that wouldn't start when we got it off the trailer. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Haha 3