PCS

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

My concern and many others is on pass rush, while he has a quick first step he comes out upright a lot which allows oline to get under him and into his chest slowing his progress, even pushing him back some. I also saw some times when this happened he stopped on the play once he got stood up. 

This is something I actually noticed him do quite a bit as well when watching his cutups. If he was rushing the passer and he got stonewalled (which happened a fair amount since, like you said, he comes out of his stance way too upright a decent amount when pass rushing and it lets the OL get locked on) he just sort of stopped and watched the QB...I guess maybe he figured he wasn't going to get to him so he'd try to spy for a screen/dumpoff or for the QB to run maybe? He seems decent at batting down balls so maybe he was looking to do that. But it was kinda weird from a guy who seems to have such a relentless motor in other situations. 

Still don't really like the pick at 13 but it's moot at this point. He's a Redskin. Welcome to the Skins, Da'Ron, here's to a hopefully bright future.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

Lots of backhanded compliments in this thread. Typical.

Welcome Mr. Payne. Been way too long since we had a bullish front four. And here we are. Congrats to Da’Ron and his family!

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 6

We continue to read Payne plays upright at times. How easily correctable is this for DLineman? Alabama is known to have great coaching in the trenches, wonder why it wasn’t addressed. 

Anyone thinking this guy cant play need to watch some games.   We are lucky to have him especially if he Bulks up to 325-330 lbs.  Could be a monster in the middle.  I really like this pick more and more. 

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, wit33 said:

We continue to read Payne plays upright at times. How easily correctable is this for DLineman? Alabama is known to have great coaching in the trenches, wonder why it wasn’t addressed. 

From what I saw it was mostly when he was rushing the passer. His pad level seemed to be good when playing the run, but when he was playing on obvious passing downs and trying to get to the QB from what I saw he tended to shoot upwards more before he engaged the blocker, which allowed the OL to more easily lock onto him. I'm thinking it's correctable with coaching as long as you have a receptive player (no reason to think Payne isn't).

Obviously going to need to work on his pass rushing to be a true "3 down" guy in the NFL. Definitely good against the run: good pad level, good hand usage, good punch, good at engaging while keeping his eyes on the backfield, and then disengaging. I've mentioned before that he got handled by double teams but that was more often against the pass (when he got upright); against double teams vs the run he seemed to anchor relatively well...low center of gravity. 

10 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Anyone thinking this guy cant play need to watch some games.   We are lucky to have him especially if he Bulks up to 325-330 lbs.  Could be a monster in the middle.  I really like this pick more and more. 

I don't see it as necessary for him to be 330 lbs. In fact it would probably be detrimental. His game vs. the run is already solid with good technique; you don't need to be a mammoth to be able to be a good run stopper. Where he needs to improve is rushing the passer and that extra weight would probably only be a hindrance. IMO 310-315 is a fine weight for him.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't see it as necessary for him to be 330 lbs. In fact it would probably be detrimental. His game vs. the run is already solid with good technique; you don't need to be a mammoth to be able to be a good run stopper. Where he needs to improve is rushing the passer and that extra weight would probably only be a hindrance. IMO 310-315 is a fine weight for him.

I dont see why we need a pass rushing Nose Tackle.  We just want him to be a brick wall against the run/eat/shed blockers and move well laterally.  Would be nice but I want a mammoth in the middle.   

• Like 1

Every player coming out of college has flaws and needs some development. That's why you have this thing called coaching...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I dont see why we need a pass rushing Nose Tackle.  We just want him to be a brick wall against the run/eat/shed blockers and move well laterally.  Would be nice but I want a mammoth in the middle.   

Because we don't run an old school 2 gap 3-4 base and because it isn't the 1980s. It's a passing league now so, unless you're running a super zone blitz heavy defense, you're going to want a NT who can get after the passer as well as stop the run. Otherwise he's more of a situational guy, which is fine, but it that isn't something you spend a 13th overall pick on. Also, IIRC we were in nickle defense something like 60% of the time last season. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

First fantasy team name of the year...

You can Da'Ron but you can't hide from the Payne? 

How about you can Ron but you can't hide from da'payne

Flows a little better. 

Edited by redskinss

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Because we don't run an old school 2 gap 3-4 base and because it isn't the 1980s. It's a passing league now so, unless you're running a super zone blitz heavy defense, you're going to want a NT who can get after the passer as well as stop the run. Otherwise he's more of a situational guy, which is fine, but it that isn't something you spend a 13th overall pick on. Also, IIRC we were in nickle defense something like 60% of the time last season. 

Well were going up against the the Eagles and Cowboys And Giants 2 times a year.  Both eagles and pukes were in the TOP 5 for rushing last year ohh.. and I think the giants will try to run some this year.  See pick #2.  Yes it is a passing league but teams are starting to come back to the running game.  We might run nickel 60% of the time but all we need from the interior it to collapse the pocket.  YES it would be nice to have interior lineman get a ton of sacks but I think the strength of Payne will be owning that line from day 1.  Allen and Ionnidas with Kerrigan and Preston from the outside is where the passrusing comes from.  Also, teams like to run from the nickel because there are more Dbs on the field.  Own the trenches!!!! Thats why I love this. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How about you can Ron but you can't hide from da'payne

Flows a little better. 

Talk about flow, how about a catchy melody to go with Da Do'Ron Ron

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Every player coming out of college has flaws and needs some development. That's why you have this thing called coaching...

Seriously lol...and the guy's only 20 years old. Imagine this mf'er having 4 years of development, training, coaching under Tomsula, experience, practice, mental growth, veteran savvy, game slowing down, more moves in his arsenal, tons more confidence and improvement of his football knowledge and intelligence...and he'll only be 24 lol...it's all up to him, though. If he has a great work ethic, maturity, and drive he could turn into something special.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Well were going up against the the Eagles and Cowboys And Giants 2 times a year.  Both eagles and pukes were in the TOP 5 for rushing last year ohh.. and I think the giants will try to run some this year.  See pick #2.  Yes it is a passing league but teams are starting to come back to the running game.  We might run nickel 60% of the time but all we need from the interior it to collapse the pocket.  YES it would be nice to have interior lineman get a ton of sacks but I think the strength of Payne will be owning that line from day 1.  Allen and Ionnidas with Kerrigan and Preston from the outside is where the passrusing comes from.  Also, teams like to run from the nickel because there are more Dbs on the field.  Own the trenches!!!! Thats why I love this. 

Yes, run stopping and winning in the trenches is a good thing. But again, with how often teams pass in the NFL now, spending a 13th overall pick on a pure run stuffer is a desperation move unless they truly believe that they can turn him into a good pass rusher as well (and I certainly assume/hope that's what they believe). 

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Lots of backhanded compliments in this thread. Typical.

Welcome Mr. Payne. Been way too long since we had a bullish front four. And here we are. Congrats to Da’Ron and his family!

We're playing a 3-4 since Shanny camed here and haven't switched back, so no, we're still not having a bullish front four :P

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Seriously lol...and the guy's only 20 years old. Imagine this mf'er having 4 years of development, training, coaching under Tomsula, experience, practice, mental growth, veteran savvy, game slowing down, more moves in his arsenal, tons more confidence and improvement of his football knowledge and intelligence...and he'll only be 24 lol...it's all up to him, though. If he has a great work ethic, maturity, and drive he could turn into something special.

That is if he grabs the coaching from Tomsula, too many times have we been excited by players only to watch them crash and burn because NFL is nothing like College.

So that's still a big IF.

Then he'll cost even much more to sign again in 4 years as well...

26 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That is if he grabs the coaching from Tomsula, too many times have we been excited by players only to watch them crash and burn because NFL is nothing like College.

So that's still a big IF.

Then he'll cost even much more to sign again in 4 years as well...

Yep, that's why I said it's all up to him.

And that's a great problem to have lol....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yes, run stopping and winning in the trenches is a good thing. But again, with how often teams pass in the NFL now, spending a 13th overall pick on a pure run stuffer is a desperation move unless they truly believe that they can turn him into a good pass rusher as well (and I certainly assume/hope that's what they believe). 

You are just looking at one aspect - run blocking. You have to look at what else he can do in the middle. Will draw two tacklers, disrupt the line and that will help/improve our secondary and the DL. He is only 20 and the ceiling is pretty high for him at this point. He doesn't need to lose weight if he can do all that with his current weight. The Skins wanted a big boy in the middle. They got that. 

Edited by zskins

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not enough discussion is had about this kind of stuff and the evolution of the NFL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wait, Payne can play TE ???

Can he stay healthy too ?

Why yes, yes he can :)

• Like 1