Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

PCS

25 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The cool thing about Payne is that he's only 20. That makes me think that he's still an uncarved block. He's been successful, but he still has time to become stronger, develop more as a pass rusher, and build off strengths which are pretty darn good.

I also like the fact that they say he's really instinctive, disruptive and always around the ball. He doesn't seem to finish the play, but he creates chaos.

So Payne is 20, Allen is 23 and Ioannidis is 24.

Damn lol.

When Payne first got to Alabama he was 350 pounds. He dropped a lot of weight. That should be prove he's a hard worker. When I watched highlights of Vea it seemed he took a lot of plays off and didnt always give 100%. Watching Payne you see him bring it every down. We got a hell of a football player. Bring the Payne!!!

17 minutes ago, worstSeat said:

Are you really worried about what Cooley thinks? He did a great job the first couple of years providing color for the games on radio (though the further they've gotten from Shanahan's stuff, which Cooley actually knew well, the worse that's gotten), but on Cooley & Kevin I always get the feeling he's just trying to fill air.

Ditto relieved from me. Lots of places of need, but this is definitely one of them. And probably the best talent fit on the board with Vea gone.

Worried? No. Interested in his player evaluation? Usually. 

6 minutes ago, grego said:

Worried? No. Interested in his player evaluation? Usually. 

Worried, interested, whatever.

Yeah, I wanted to like Cooley, and for a while he did a Madden-esque job making the intricacies of the game accessible on the gamecasts, but man, his stuff on C&K seems lazy. Not sure he can talk me off of this being a pretty good pick. :744:

And then there's Payne:

image-pv_web.jpg

Finally, there is Da’Ron Payne from Alabama. Payne has a lot of love in the draft community and is routinely discussed as a lock first-round pick, but his college production is as poor as any player coming into the NFL since 2010. Payne had just one tackle for a loss in 14 games last season. In his career at Alabama, Payne had a total of just five tackles for a loss on 1,481 snaps.

To his credit, Payne has one of the fastest 10-yard splits (1.66) of any defensive tackle over the past decade, and it’s even more impressive when you consider his size. However, there really is no reason why Payne should be a first-round pick considering his lack of collegiate production.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/03/31/relationship-between-production-athleticism-and-drafting-successful-nfl-d-linemen/arsyciw/

51 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

When Payne first got to Alabama he was 350 pounds. He dropped a lot of weight. That should be prove he's a hard worker. When I watched highlights of Vea it seemed he took a lot of plays off and didnt always give 100%. Watching Payne you see him bring it every down. We got a hell of a football player. Bring the Payne!!!

That says a lot to me.  Dropped 39#???  He will dedicate (and deficate, which i kept misspelling on my phone) himself to being the 3 down NT we need in a passing league that still values the run.  Hail, Burgundy Tide!

28 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

That says a lot to me.  Dropped 39#???  He will dedicate (and deficate, which i kept misspelling on my phone) himself to being the 3 down NT we need in a passing league that still values the run.  Hail, Burgundy Tide!

Burgundy Tide will do....

BIG DADDY PAYNE!!  I'll tell you what guys 'n gals... the only people upset or 'lukewarm' on BDP in this thread are the ones who are looking at linear stat sheets.

I've watched every available game cut-up on Youtube with BDP, and there's no question we got the most disruptive/intelligent/high-cieling DL in this draft.  Tomsula now has the ability to get SUPER-creative with Allen and Matty I--- Payne looks to me like a true "team-player" that embraces the role he is given, and positions himself mentally/physically to make the guys around him better.  This dude comes off his 3-point stance with comparable leverage to Gallette's 4-point last year... he just does it 65lbs heavier.

We drafted one of the very few guys in this first round who will have a successful 10+ year career.  I love that our FO saw something in this guy and stuck to their guns... There's no question in mind my that Payne was always the choice over Vea, and that actually make me feel really good about the future of this team. 

Archived