Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ARTICLE: CBS Sportsline's Jay Glazer trashes Spurrier

Andre The Giant

Originally posted by GGB81

You have called BS on every negative article written about the Skins this season.

that's BS

many yes, but not all , far from it. I have to have reliable info or several sources to change my opinions yes, but I have admitted when I been wrong, and have given logically explanations to back my opinions when challenged. I have been critical of this team at times (especially after the Tampa, Buffalo, & Dallas games)

But because I look for positives first, I am not entited to doubt unsupported rumors of the Skins?

If someone from the Skins or several more believable sources back this story I will admit I was wrong ( it happens from time to time:silly: )

no matter how ridiculous

Please don't make it sound as though this article is totally off the wall.

You cannot tell me that the Skins appear to be a very disciplined football team and think that Spurrier is a hard nosed coach- what other reason would you have to believe that this is untrue?

No one writes about this with the Packers or the Bucs.

Once again, some veiled reference to a media bias against the Skins :shot:

If I were a skins fan, I think I would be more interested in why these totally unfounded (:doh: ) stories continue to surface week in and week out while the team continues to pace themselves with the Chicago Bears instead of constantly defending certain people within the organization that will do nothing but continue YOUR misery by fielding talented, high paid players and POOR team year in and year out.

I wrote that part about the Packers and Bucs. To be honest with you, I'm not someone who claims that there is a bias vs. the Skins. My point was more that they take a commonplace occurance that happens to most teams and blow it out of proportion on a team that is struggling with an unproven coach.

That's not lying or anything but it's bad journalism because it's implying that this "problem" of cell phones occassionally ringing is only happening in the city of the struggling team.

That's not lying or anything but it's bad journalism because it's implying that this "problem" of cell phones occassionally ringing is only happening in the city of the struggling team.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen on other teams. I'm saying it doesn't happen on many good teams.

You think Favre would allow that kind of crap in team meetings?

Gruden and the Bucs have been hammered by the media up and down this season- plus they cut one of their most high profile players in the middle of the season because he wouldn't get in line.

The Raiders have been beaten around in the media mercilously and they have had more injuires to complain about than the Skins, by a longshot. But when their players and coaches had the war of words, who was brushing it off? They got nailed to the wall on it.

So, don't think that other teams are getting a pass for any reason.....also, try and find another team who makes a bigger splash in FA every year.

When you make all those high profile moves (signing giant contracts, big name players, big name ****y coaches to giant contracts, etc.) they will get panned by the media for foolishly spending their wad.

I agree 100%. If you can tell me, Glazer, that this only happens in DC, then you get some cred...until then, you're full of ****!!!

I love your logic!

I hope Danny Snyder feels the same way because I love watching the Eagles roll up division titles. As long as the Skids keep wasting their talent every year, I'm a happy man.

You think Favre would allow that kind of crap in team meetings?

That kind of crap???? It's a ringing phone....you think they are splitting an atom in those meetings??

Again, this would be a different issue (and I'd agree with what you're saying) if there were side conversations taking place while Spurrier was addressing the team.

But come on, we're talking about a cell phone going off and being silenced. If you were in a meeting would you flip out if that happened?? I would hope not.

I think a lot of people have a very different perception of what it's like within the walls of a these places.

That kind of crap???? It's a ringing phone....you think they are splitting an atom in those meetings??

It's not about a cell phone going off....it's about dedication to the team, concentration, and discipline.

It's a rule on every team and this is their job. There is no other business that has to be dealt with while they are at work.

Glazer didn't write:

"1 cell phone went off in week 2 during a meeting"- he said it was a problem....that there was a lack of focus in the locker room.

Again, if you can tell me that the prodcut they put on the field disputes that, I'll lay down.

I see your point. My only point is that there are ways to make is seem like more of a problem than it really is. That's all.

I have no clue what happened in the meetings. I can absolutely believe that there has been occassional lack of focus on this team. However, they've just put together 5 straight games where they've played pretty well so I wouldn't really think that this was a problem that hasn't been corrected to an extent at this point.

Anyway, we both keep making the same point and I'm not saying that you're "wrong" or anything. I guess I just read these things with a grain of salt since I know that writers can sometimes spice up their facts to make their stories better.

Please don't make it sound as though this article is totally off the wall.

You cannot tell me that the Skins appear to be a very disciplined football team and think that Spurrier is a hard nosed coach- what other reason would you have to believe that this is untrue?

*sigh* I wasn't referring to just this rumor, there have been several obsurd rumors that get printed or aired that many people believe until they are shot down. example Spurrier threaten to quit right before the Jets game :rolleyes:

No I will never confuse Spurrier wih Coughlin, but even though Spurrier is not a control freak I doubt team meetings are the circus this article tries to imply.

The main reason I feel it's not true is because Spurrier said so. Spurrier is known for his honesty.

I will stop now.

I see your point. My only point is that there are ways to make is seem like more of a problem than it really is. That's all.

I hear ya, and I'm not in the locker rooms either, so I just have to trust that the reporters are doing their jobs.

To be honest, the whole situation just makes me upset as a football fan.

I really couldn't care less if the Skins were walking through the seaosn (or anything like that) as an Eagles fan because it can do nothing but benefit my favorite team.

It's just upsetting to me as a fan of the game when I read something like that implying that the team just doesn't really care about winning all that much.

If I was a Skins fan (and believed it, obviously), I would be livid......with all that talent, they should be a playoff team.

It's just upsetting to me as a fan of the game when I read something like that implying that the team just doesn't really care about winning all that much.

If I was a Skins fan (and believed it, obviously), I would be livid......with all that talent, they should be a playoff team.

there's the point, this article has promoted a negative image you assume it is correct.

for sake of argument what if the article is proven to be completely wrong. The negative image is already embedded and it would take a lot to change your belief. a lot more than anyone will put the effort in to dispute it. You won't believe Spurrier, or anyone from the redskins.... so a false impression will cloud your opinions of Spurrier in the future.

the team is still playing hard, they have took several better record teams to the gun, even though we lost 3 of 4. Penalties, sacks, turnovers are down, blocking has improved, as has the pass rush (some) from earlier in the season, with several backups playing in key position. If the team didn't care about winning and Spurrier was such a terrible coach those things wouldn't happening.

There is a difference in the way the skins are playing compared to the Raiders, Giants, and Cardinals.

It's true that the team continues to play hard.

It's also true that they still make many mental errors, like this Sunday when they had trouble getting the right players on the kickoff return team. How difficult is that?

Lavar wasn't ready for a snap. The defense always seems to be pointing uncontrollably before the snap. Jon Gruden said he used a lot of shifting against the skins because it would confuse them, and guess what, it did.

Troy Aikman said the redskins look like a team that does not prepare for what it will see on Sundays.

Jody Foldessy said in this week's Time's Monday Morning QB, that the Giants win didn't really mean anything, because the major problem on the Redskins is Spurrier's relationship with his players.

Bottom Line: This article does not represent an insolated incident, as multiple commentators and insiders have noted a lack of preparation in the team. Heck, I have noticed it as a fan.

I think that most folks on the board want to see Spurrier succeed, because they want to see the skins succeed, myself included. But this lack of preparation IS troubling, because it absolutely has translated itself to the field.

Honestly, would anyone on this board be that upset after the season if Snyder hired Tom Modok or Phil Savage as GM and told them the hire the head coach of their choice? I know I would be very excited.

If Spurrier gets tougher, more power to him, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope he proves me wrong.

Archived