Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

I'm Christian and I have no problem saying there is no possible way you can be Christian and support this presidency.

I have been pointing this out to my parents for the past year with little progress.

Also, I'll go ahead and remind folks, the main antagonists of the Gospels were the Pharisees...you know, the church leaders.

I've come to believe that this is seriously a test of faith, and right now a large portion of Christians are abjectly failing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

I'm Christian and I have no problem saying there is no possible way you can be Christian and support this presidency.

I have been pointing this out to my parents for the past year with little progress.

Also, I'll go ahead and remind folks, the main antagonists of the Gospels were the Pharisees...you know, the church leaders.

I've come to believe that this is seriously a test of faith, and right now a large portion of Christians are abjectly failing.

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on religion but I say the people supporting this are model Christians. 

After all, the one true core character of Christianity is........hypocrisy. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on religion but I say the people supporting this are model Christians. 

Nah, just like you posted in the other thread about There being a difference between actual Republicans and Trumpers... There’s like a billion Christians. A lot of them are really good people and actually try to live their lives according to their faith. Give me a billion of any demographic and  it’s not going to be hard to find some real pieces of **** though too. 

But yeah, I can see how people could view a lot of the stuff that is the most in our faces recently as confirmation of the worst criticisms of evangelicals.

edit: whoops, that was Buzzette in the other thread.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Statements like this just provide fodder for these hypocrites to keep on keeping on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Nah, just like you posted in the other thread about There being a difference between actual Republicans and Trumpers...

Yea that was the wife.  But I'm not surprised that one group of people can be judged as a whole and everyone supports that judgment yet another......weelllllll, that's not really fair to judge them all that way.

7 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

Statements like this just provide fodder for these hypocrites to keep on keeping on.

Prove me wrong.

Yea that was the wife.  But I'm not surprised that one group of people can be judged as a whole and everyone supports that judgment yet another......weelllllll, that's not really fair to judge them all that way.

Prove me wrong.

Who’s doing that? I think I’ve been pretty consistent about not forming an opinion about an entire group of people based on the worst lot of them.

9 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Nah, just like you posted in the other thread about There being a difference between actual Republicans and Trumpers... There’s like a billion Christians. A lot of them are really good people and actually try to live their lives according to their faith. Give me a billion of any demographic and  it’s not going to be hard to find some real pieces of **** though too. 

But yeah, I can see how people could view a lot of the stuff that is the most in our faces recently as confirmation of the worst criticisms of evangelicals.

edit: whoops, that was Buzzette in the other thread.

Yup, that was me 🙂

I know a lot of Christian's. I currently live in the bible belt and grew up in the delmarva bible belt....and I can honestly think of only THREE families that I fell truly live by Christian ideal values and the true teaching of Christ. Every single other one I know exploits, hypocrites, and selectively applies. No, not in the "no one is perfect, we seek forgiveness" kind of way either.....

• Like 2

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Who’s doing that? I think I’ve been pretty consistent about not forming an opinion about an entire group of people based on the worst lot of them.

Have you been reading here?  There are plenty of posts saying (paraphrasing) "if you're still a Republican,  you're a piece of ****).

Prove me wrong.

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on Republicans, but I say the people supporting this are model Republicans.

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on the military, but I say the people supporting this are model military.

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on whites, but I say the people supporting this are model whites.

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on males, but I say the people supporting this are model males.

Fun stuff, huh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I can honestly think of only THREE families that I fell truly live by Christian ideal values and the true teaching of Christ. 

So I guess there are at least 3 families you know that I dont.

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

Maybe I am jaded due to my views on Republicans, but I say the people supporting this are model Republicans.

Fun stuff, huh?

You saying there aren't many who say this?

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Oh, no doubt. I just wasn’t sure if you were directing that at me.

Nope.

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

There are.

Why you'd want to use the same line of argument as those types is beyond me.

Because I think it is true in probably >80% of the cases.  

I'd say that number of people that are still Republicans are shameful.  And I'd say the same about Christians in regards to hypocrisy.  And if you made a Venn diagram of the two, it'd probably be close to a perfect circle.

And bear in mind, I went to Catholic school.  Plus I had a multi-belief family so I was sent to different faith churches on Sundays to learn about each.  My parents wanted me to be educated to make my own decision about faith.  Pretty sure that was when I learned the definition of hypocrisy.  Love thy neighbor anyone?

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Nope.

Because I think it is true in probably >80% of the cases.  

I'd say that number of people that are still Republicans are shameful.  And I'd say the same about Christians in regards to hypocrisy.  And if you made a Venn diagram of the two, it'd probably be close to a perfect circle.

And bear in mind, I went to Catholic school.  Plus I had a multi-belief family so I was sent to different faith churches on Sundays to learn about each.  My parents wanted me to be educated to make my own decision about faith.  Pretty sure that was when I learned the definition of hypocrisy.  Love thy neighbor anyone?

Complaining about how unfair it is when people group you with others who label themselves similarly, in a thread where you've done the exact same thing.

It appears those hypocrisy lessons were well learned.

4 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Is it the same thing tho? Doesn't Christianity say it's for us to judge no one, but here are 100 reasons to judge everyone?  

Which goes to my point.

God says to love and not judge.

When people claiming to be Christians do the exact opposite of what God says, why fault the One who said don't do it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

Complaining about how unfair it is when people group you with others who label themselves similarly, in a thread where you've done the exact same thing.

Imagine what it's like to have an actual argument/debate with him in person. He'll base an entire argument just to prove a point about another argument from a week ago. And a week later, he'll argue the exact opposite. 

He's a masterdebater 🙂

7 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

Difference is I'm fine with it.

Majority if Christians are hypocrites.  They say one while doing the other.  Majority of people that are still GOP and/or Trump supporters are just bad people.  

Difference is that groups will rush to defend their own while having no problem casting a wide net over others.  

Note: I dont think 100% of either group fail into the stereotype.  But the vast majority do.

Edit:  2nd point, majority of Christian's being hypocritical doesn't mean they are "bad" people.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

1 minute ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Imagine what it's like to have an actual argument/debate with him in person. He'll base an entire argument just to prove a point about another argument from a week ago. And a week later, he'll argue the exact opposite. 

He's a masterdebater 🙂

Thank you from all of us for jumping on that grenade then. 😀

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

And where exactly did I complain about people grouping me?  I'm neither of the groups I have referenced. 

Difference is I'm fine with it.

Majority if Christians are hypocrites.  They say one while doing the other.  Majority of people that are still GOP and/or Trump supporters are just bad people.  

Difference is that groups will rush to defend their own while having no problem casting a wide net over others.  

Note: I dont think 100% of either group fail into the stereotype.  But the vast majority do.

You're fine with what exactly?  Being grouped with people you vastly disagree with just because you share a common label or trait?  If that is what you mean, why would you be fine with that?

Also, the overwhelming majority of humans are hypocrites, Christians aren't any different in that respect.

My issue is that Christians should be humble enough to recognize when they are called on it and ask forgiveness.

You point out people will rush to defend their own while casting a wide net over others.  That's exactly what you just did.  In response to a post where I was specifically calling out false Christians.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And where exactly did I complain about people grouping me?  I'm neither of the groups I have referenced. 

All ES posters are conceited, self important, know it alls.  

TheGreatBuzz is an ES poster. 

But I'm a Christian (well, I believe in God anyway) so I love my neighbor TheGreatBuzz. 

Unless he does something that I don't like or say something I don't like, in which case he can burn for all eternity with endless rerun of the last season of Game of Thrones.   I'm still a good person though.