Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Starting in football is very silly to me.  It only means you're out there for the first play of the game for the offense or the defense, right?  Kelley could be considered the starter just by taking the first handoff of the game and not taking another one for the rest of the game.  

Technically, that's true. And I don't think that is what anyone here is talking about. We're talking about the guy who gets the vast majority of the rushes. Not RBBC like the Giants have had for some time, where you have 3 JAG's, none are really any better than the other, but might do something a little better than the other 2, and you rotate them accordingly. All I want is a RB that runs the ball significantly better than what we've had recently, and that mofo is out getting the rock 20+ times a game. I think that's what we're looking for. That 1000+ guy that has around a 4.5ypc and double digit TD's.

You know, the "starter". ;)

Not the guys that has 36 carries for 123 yards for the year.

30 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

CT said that he still has pain and isn't 100%.  I think they are trying to get him to 100% before week 1.  Interviews with CT have been positive but always along the lines of he's working his way back.  They're dancing around that one with the same line every week.  

I've heard he won't be 100% until November, the reports are that It's still painful to the touch. I don't think that is going to go away in 2 weeks.

We all know Guice would have been the starter/feature back on this team which would have made every other RB on the roster assigned to a specific role.  Not that Guice is out for the season, everyone else is still a role player but whichever guy gets the 1st carry of the game will be called the starter.  

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Technically, that's true. And I don't think that is what anyone here is talking about. We're talking about the guy who gets the vast majority of the rushes. Not RBBC like the Giants have had for some time, where you have 3 JAG's, none are really any better than the other, but might do something a little better than the other 2, and you rotate them accordingly. All I want is a RB that runs the ball significantly better than what we've had recently, and that mofo is out getting the rock 20+ times a game. I think that's what we're looking for. That 1000+ guy that has around a 4.5ypc and double digit TD's.

You know, the "starter". ;)

Not the guys that has 36 carries for 123 yards for the year.

Yeah, I'm bull****ting a little.  

I understand all that.  But we don't have that 1000+ guy that has around 4.5 ypc and double digit touchdowns.  It'd be nice if we could get that out of 2 guys combined.  It'll be RBBC until we get a guy that can deliver 20+ carries a game or until Guice comes back and see what we can get with him.  

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I've heard he won't be 100% until November, the reports are that It's still painful to the touch. I don't think that is going to go away in 2 weeks.

yeah I've heard that also, don't remember where but with that considered I'd expect more possible chances for one of these vets getting signed and being on the roster for awhile. 

JP was saying that he thought JC was more likely to get a contract then AP for a role in filling in for CT as he's better catching passes out of the backfield then the others. Should be interesting.  

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

He was answering a question about what he's looking for with bringing in these high profile veterans and responded with the comment 

I know exactly what he said and I understand coaches don't want to give anything away, do see the tweet below?  Do you think Jay made that up?

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll only accept this if we draft another running back in the 2nd round.  If you're asking me to expect Guice to stay healthy, please don't try to sell me on CT staying healthy, too.  We need either two good running backs or one great one, have to pick now, that's what we're up against. I'm nervous even if Guice comes back he won't be as good as he could be, we should be prepared for at least that.  I still want to trade CT while we can before we have to offer him a contract.

Oh my god please no to drafting another RB in the 2nd. You can find good complementary backs way later on.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Skins are fooling themselves if they think what they have right now is better than Darkwa.  

Darkwa is being stupid if he acts like he deserves a starting role.

Basically, everyone involved is dumb.

I'd rather a RB that is eager to play for the team. With these limited quotes, it would seem Darkwa doesn't have enough confidence that he can beat out the riffraff to start, or just wants instant assurances. Not a good look. Fine with passing.

Just now, Sandy Monk said:

I'd rather a RB that is eager to play for the team. With these limited quotes, it would seem Darkwa doesn't have enough confidence that he can beat out the riffraff to start, or just wants instant assurances. Not a good look. Fine with passing.

I agree with that.  He's being very cavalier for a guy who doesn't have a job with a few weeks before the season starts.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, I'm bull****ting a little.  

I understand all that.  But we don't have that 1000+ guy that has around 4.5 ypc and double digit touchdowns.  It'd be nice if we could get that out of 2 guys combined.  It'll be RBBC until we get a guy that can deliver 20+ carries a game or until Guice comes back and see what we can get with him.  

I know, but I think we did. I also think we can upgrade to that, but only if we bring guys in. What we have wont do it. We're on the same page here, I'm pretty sure.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

yeah I've heard that also, don't remember where but with that considered I'd expect more possible chances for one of these vets getting signed and being on the roster for awhile. 

JP was saying that he thought JC was more likely to get a contract then AP for a role in filling in for CT as he's better catching passes out of the backfield then the others. Should be interesting.  

?!?

AP is anything but a good receiver out of the backfield, he is limited to being a 2 down back. He's Alfred Morris as a receiver. Jamal Charles on the other hand, is a excellent receiver out of the backfield, with one year having 70 catches in '13. If AP signs, it means that Marshall or Bibbs is a lock.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I know, but I think we did. I also think we can upgrade to that, but only if we bring guys in. What we have wont do it. We're on the same page here, I'm pretty sure.

?!?

AP is anything but a good receiver out of the backfield, he is limited to being a 2 down back. He's Alfred Morris as a receiver. Jamal Charles on the other hand, is a excellent receiver out of the backfield, with one year having 70 catches in '13. If AP signs, it means that Marshall or Bibbs is a lock.

That's what I said bro.  Read it again.  JC is Jamal Charles. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I know exactly what he said and I understand coaches don't want to give anything away, do see the tweet below?  Do you think Jay made that up?

Yes I think Jay told some half truths, just like he always does.  That's not a quote from Jay Gruden.  Just because a guy wants a starting gig and leaves without a contract doesn't mean they won't sign him either.  Simply means they are looking at what's available and if say Kelly or Perine go down and won't make the opener or longer, they'll know what they've got in Darkwa, Charles, and AP.  They're not going to show their intentions bro.  Really its all speculations and interesting to see what happens. 

I suspect Marshall has a high ankle sprain and IMO will be limited if he comes back for week 1. It would seem CT still has a little ways to go, to get to 100%.  I suspect Jay will hold a spot for Marshall as long as he can.

We may need a hands back as insurance regardless. While I was impressed with Perine and even Bibbs's hands, fact remains we are thin at hands back right now. Darkwa doesn't seem much of a hands back, so no surprise he is out.

I think Jamal will be the guy, with Alex's seal of approval.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/19/trent-williams-vouches-adrian-peterson/

“I don’t understand the stigma when people get 31, 32, 33 — they somehow just slow down?” Williams said. “You don’t. That’s a gifted athlete, you know? He has a gift. Did Darrell Green ever lose his speed? He didn’t. Some things are just always with you. It’s you, it’s your makeup, it’s your DNA. … So, no, he’s the same athlete that you’re used to seeing.

“He hasn’t slowed down a step.”

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Mediocre AP >>>> Fat Rob, all day, er day.

If anything, I bet our short yardage game will improve, maybe even redzone offense.  I don't expect him to be MVP breaking runs, that's what CT is for.

23 taken, too, he's literally never worn another number (looked at his college and highschool).  Said he'd workout, whatever to make the team, bet that includes wearing a number he's never worn before.

I he signs, think he should take #34.........Ive been wanting us to have  solid RB wear that number for years, I cant remember anyone (RB) wearing that number as a starter. I think Byron Marshall had that number, but he's basically done. Hand that jersey over bruh......

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

If you listen to Jay's presser today he made it clear he's not looking for a RB to come in and start, not sure who would sign here under those conditions.

I'm calling bull**** on Jay not looking for a starter. Not buying it at all. He's just saying that because he wants to current backs to continue to work hard as if they got a shot at that #1 spot. If it's about just having bodies in case of more injuries, he can bring in any camp fodder floating around. You dont bring in AP (even at his age) or even Darkwa for just in case another body goes down. 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with that.  He's being very cavalier for a guy who doesn't have a job with a few weeks before the season starts.

Not to mention that yeah, he's most likely an upgrade to what we have. But he hasn't done **** in this league to be demanding starting spots. **** you and the team you came from. 

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I doubt Marshall makes it to the 53 with his injury. They'll either wave him with an injury designation or IR him.

I watched all the available video of both Charles and AP on youtube from last year.  Two things stood out to me.  First, Charles pass blocks like Portis.  He'd be an asset to the 3rd down back role for sure.  His rushing really wouldn't be the upside.  Second, AP looked strong, specifically as he got more carries and has got a nose for the the first down marker and goal line.  Either one of these guys would appear to be an upgrade over Kelly.  

5 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/19/trent-williams-vouches-adrian-peterson/

“I don’t understand the stigma when people get 31, 32, 33 — they somehow just slow down?” Williams said. “You don’t. That’s a gifted athlete, you know? He has a gift. Did Darrell Green ever lose his speed? He didn’t. Some things are just always with you. It’s you, it’s your makeup, it’s your DNA. … So, no, he’s the same athlete that you’re used to seeing.

“He hasn’t slowed down a step.”

This quote is ridiculous. The list of RBs whose production dropped off considerable once they reached 32-32 is, well, just about everyone who has ever played who is not named Marcus Allen 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This quote is ridiculous. The list of RBs whose production dropped off considerable once they reached 32-32 is, well, just about everyone who has ever played who is not named Marcus Allen 

What about Frank Gore?

Archived