Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Slayer's final tour is here in June, I'll be going.

Hell of a supporting lineup too - Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament & Napalm Death/Behemoth (split between legs one & two).  Going to be a hot ticket.

14 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I saw the KillThrax tour twice in the past year or so.  I'm old school Anthrax guy, so it was great.  I tried listening to Killswitch prior to the first show and just hated it.  Then I saw them live, and was blown away.  They were incredible.

So I tried to listen to them again after.  Yeah, still hate them otherwise.

Slayer's final tour is here in June, I'll be going.

I’ll be at the Orlando show.

1 minute ago, HooHog said:

Hell of a supporting lineup too - Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament & Napalm Death/Behemoth (split between legs one & two).  Going to be a hot ticket.

Never seen Behemoth.  Stoked!!

22 minutes ago, MintHillSkinsFan said:

I saw Hell Yeah! and Sevendust on NYE two years ago and both were WAY heavier than on their albums!  White Chapel and All Shall Perish opening up for Hatebreed at House of Blues in Dallas may be the loudest show I've ever been to.

I LOVE Sevendust. One of the most underrated bands in rock I think. I've seen them about 8 times and they never disappoint. They are gonna be here in 10 days and I'll be up front for them.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2018 at 8:35 AM, HooHog said:

Nevermore was so great.  I had totally missed it until a few weeks ago, but Warrel Dane passed in December.  Freaking sucks.  Jeff Loomis plays guitar for Arch Enemy now, which I suppose is cool, but I kind of feel like his talent is wasted on that band (not that I don't like them).  At The Gates has a new album dropping next month that I'm pretty excited for, although it will be their first without Anders Bjorler so I'm holding my breath a little bit.  I thought At War With Reality was really solid considering it was their first album in almost 20 years.

I had no idea Warrel Dane passed away. :(

Their last album was a complete dud and not surprising that they broke off.

Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor are masterpiece albums from start to finish.

I am a fan of Arch Enemy's older work but the new album with Loomis really didn't do anything for me. IMO it has very little of his sound. You can tell from his solo albums that his style is truly what came out of Nevermore's best work.

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor are masterpiece albums from start to finish.

I am a fan of Arch Enemy's older work but the new album with Loomis really didn't do anything for me. IMO it has very little of his sound. You can tell from his solo albums that his style is truly what came out of Nevermore's best work.

My band opened for Nevermore around 95 at Twisters in RVA.  We didn’t know who they were, just that the “dude from Sanctuary” was the singer.  Cold, snowy mid-winter night with maybe 50 people in the joint...holds about 300.  Loomis and O’Brien hung at the bar for the openers and were super chill dudes...very complimentary.  Dane stayed in the bus until just before showtime and was blitzed outta his mind...coke, acid, booze, you name it.

THEY BLEW THE ROOF OFFA THE JOINT THAT NIGHT.  A life-changing experience for 25yo TTB.

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I would say you could put Dreaming Neon Black right up there with those two as well.  Obsidian Conspiracy had a couple decent tracks but you could definitely tell things weren’t going well. 

And while certainly not as great as the best Nevermore albums, Loomis’s solo albums are awesome.

Side note:  I discovered Nevermore totally by accident when I went to see In Flames (before they turned into garbage) and Children of Bodom.  Nevermore went up before Bodom and I was blown away.  Show was in Philly and my friends and I were hanging out in an undergound foot court beforehand and saw this big scraggly dude walk by and we’re like “this guy’s definitely gonna be at the show.”  Then we saw him again singing for Nevermore.  Hahaha.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yes!  Yes, yes.

Metal for me is tricky.  Overall, I like the genre but I feel that I'm too selective when it comes to it.  Like if it's just guttural growling, I'm probably not interested.  If the guy is trying to sing like he's Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford (love those guys) then I probably won't like it, either.  That's why Metallica for me is the perfect band.  The riffs and melodies are great, Hetfield's voice, even after he blew out his vocals are good.

That's why I like Power Trip, good vocals, melodies, etc.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes!  Yes, yes.

Metal for me is tricky.  Overall, I like the genre but I feel that I'm too selective when it comes to it.  Like if it's just guttural growling, I'm probably not interested.  If the guy is trying to sing like he's Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford (love those guys) then I probably won't like it, either.  That's why Metallica for me is the perfect band.  The riffs and melodies are great, Hetfield's voice, even after he blew out his vocals are good.

That's why I like Power Trip, good vocals, melodies, etc.  

The most important parts of Metal vox...and all vox really...is a unique sound and hooks/swagger.  Technical perfection and imitative qualities are useless to most.

For example: Ozzy, Lemmy, Mustaine.  And there are many, many more.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The most important parts of Metal vox...and all vox really...is a unique sound and hooks/swagger.  Technical perfection and imitative qualities are useless to most.

For example: Ozzy, Lemmy, Mustaine.  And there are many, many more.

Love Ozzy and Lemmy.  Mustaine, not so much.  

• 3 weeks later...

Tim Calvert Rest In Peace.  Probably the most underrated guitarist from that Bay Area scene.  Stepped away in the early 00s to become a pilot for United and passed away yesterday from ALS at the way too young age of 52.

Thank you for the righteous jams, sir!

Saw Foo Fighters last week.  They were as expected awesome.  Queens of the Stone Age tomorrow night.  

And just got tickets to Steel Panther (hehehe) and the Bush/STP/Cult tour.

Gonna be a good summer.

Was at the Tesseract show a week and a half ago...mixed feelings but not the bands' fault, they are talented as ****. The issue was their horrendous light show and effects - all of the lights were pointed right in the audiences eyes so no one could actually see the band, and when we could, the band was entirely in pitch-black silhouette from the back-lighting. Created an odd feeling of disconnect and disinterest.

However, the second act, Plini, was god-like. The bassist crushed it and hit notes that should not be possible in the cosmos. He had a certain note or strum that would send the bass through the floor and up into your feet and body...you could feel it travel UP your body. Simply a superb show by Plini.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, Kilmer17 said:

10-4

We’re gonna get into Orlando on that Thursday and do the weekend at Hard Rock Universal.  Should be on concert grounds pretty early on Friday...we’re big fans of the openers!

Anyhoo...This is ****ing GNARLY.

Edited by TryTheBeal!