Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

If we lose Gruden at the end of this season because of a bad record, then he will probably take a year off or go to the Raiders if they need an offensive coordinator next year.  He has options after this year.  He knows he needs to win in order to stay with the Skins.   I know he has had a weak front office but he has also made mistakes.  I do not think he excels at talent evaluation. We will know a lot more about this roster by the end of this season.  The injuries last year just kept getting worse each month of the season and yet Gruden kept the players motivated.  Kirk is gone so no one will be able to make him the fall guy if this season turns ugly.

If I were Gruden I would really not be Mr. Nice guy with the players.  Gibbs would cut a player after a few games just to send a message to the team that no player was indispensable.

I say just watch First Down and see what's up... Jon Gruden's brother needs to GO!   He's not an NFL head coach and the experiment is a failure. He's lost what he was good at as well., his play calling is terrible.  His game management is terrible.  I was a supporter up to this point and I can see how poorly he's performed and hasn't fixed his issues. 

GRUDENS GOTTA GO!  GGG, GRUDENS GOTTA GO! 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Gruden is a damn good coach.  I don't understand why people think its easier to succeed in our situation.  I would say this is probably the best team since 1991 in terms of the quality of players on this roster.  

Everything is perspective, especially when it comes to the Redskins. When you compare Jay to what we have had in the Redskins coaching carousel, sure he seems like a good coach, but then again, he is going up against guys like Zorn, Spurrier and Norv. When you compare him to the rest of the NFL, I don't think he seems like a "damn good coach". His overall record is 28-35-1, which points more to mediocrity. Granted, that could be due to the roster limitations, but at the same time the coach has to take some responsibility otherwise, there is no onus. I would be more bullish if our win totals weren't decreasing the past three years but unfortunately it has and some of those losses felt like coaching blunders.

Jay = perfect personality IMO in dealing with some of the chaos that inevitably seems to come to the franchise.  His personalty clearly is an asset with his players.  He seems like a good guy with real integrity.  Offensive-passing game play design genius.  Some say he's the best personnel player evaluator in the FO when he plays that role.  He has some weaknesses like any other coach.  But on the aggregate, big thumbs up.    

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Gruden is a damn good coach.  I don't understand why people think its easier to succeed in our situation.  I would say this is probably the best team since 1991 in terms of the quality of players on this roster.  

Interesting blend of points to me. I like Gruden a lot, but you seem to be saying that 1) you think he's good and 2) he has a very good roster. If both are true, you're almost making the case that we need double-digit wins this year. 

7 hours ago, dyst said:

Everything is perspective, especially when it comes to the Redskins. When you compare Jay to what we have had in the Redskins coaching carousel, sure he seems like a good coach, but then again, he is going up against guys like Zorn, Spurrier and Norv. When you compare him to the rest of the NFL, I don't think he seems like a "damn good coach". His overall record is 28-35-1, which points more to mediocrity. Granted, that could be due to the roster limitations, but at the same time the coach has to take some responsibility otherwise, there is no onus. I would be more bullish if our win totals weren't decreasing the past three years but unfortunately it has and some of those losses felt like coaching blunders.

Our roster was trash.  No draft picks no young players.  The first two three years were scabs and short term players. You dont win that way

For the love of God we need to get past the 10 game win barrier, we haven't had an 11 game win season since 1991. I like Jay for the fact that he knows how to surround himself with good coaches, even if he's not the best it's still crucial that you surround yourself with people that can get the most out of your players. For this fact, Jay has a pass From me and he's our best coach since Gibbs II (Shannahan wasn't good for us). Letting him walk I just feel will be a mistake because he's never had talent a top half roster talent-wise to work with. We are definitely getting there now in my opinion so we'll see how he does. 

I'd say a big thing to watch this season is how the team looks out of the gate. Not necessarily in the W/L column, but if the team looks prepared and ready for the regular season.  I know in the past seasons it often seemed like Cousins was slow out of the gate but this season with Alex Smith we will get a good look at whether it was the entire team or not.

I like Jay, I find his personalty refreshing after what we have had.  I think he handles the circus around this org very well.  He seems to be good at identifying players and helping them improve.  My only real complaints are clock mgmt, and looking unprepared week one.  I hope we stick with him regardless of record this year. The consistency is starting to pay off, and I just assume marry him to Alex and then decide his future. My two cents.

56 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd say a big thing to watch this season is how the team looks out of the gate. Not necessarily in the W/L column, but if the team looks prepared and ready for the regular season.  

Unfortunately, it'll have to be results-based due to our schedule. The first two games are arguably the two easiest on the schedule, so the W/L column will almost certainly reflect how prepared we are. 

9 hours ago, dyst said:

For sure, the opposition of our past coaches isn't great. But if you really want to judge Jay, then go back to 2k14 when we signed him. And starts to wonder, which coaches then, would have had a better W/L ratio during that span with those players, that same FO, no GM and RG3 drama? I'm pretty sure list isn't great, and I doubt established guys like Mike Tomlin would have had a way better result. Marvin Lewis? Same, if not worse. McCarthy? I wouldn't bet much on it... Pete Caroll? He's no perfect coach, but none is.

If you take a look at the situation as a whole, I'm not sure I'd like somebody else than Gruden here. The guy camed in here, all alone, and had to do all the stuff from being a rookie HC to GM to waterboy and PR guys and everything in between...

He's the first coach we had since Gibbs where I can say: the Redskins are HIS team.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay = perfect personality IMO in dealing with some of the chaos that inevitably seems to come to the franchise.  His personalty clearly is an asset with his players.  He seems like a good guy with real integrity.  Offensive-passing game play design genius.  Some say he's the best personnel player evaluator in the FO when he plays that role.  He has some weaknesses like any other coach.  But on the aggregate, big thumbs up.    

I can only second that, and I would suggest everyone around here to take a look at this article from Kimberley A. Martin regarding Kyshoen Jarrett.

Hard to hate the guy really...

Okay, I know it's only the third preseason game, the warm-up game, but Gruden's teams are so consistently unready! The other team when it counts (and even in preseason when it doesn't) always seems more prepared and playing harder.

Other than Peterson and maybe a few D Line guys, we played like crap the entire game.

I just want to see Gruden start the season with a prepared, disciplined team, that's seems hungrier than the opponent and can execute. Is that really to much to ask for game one?

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Okay, I know it's only the third preseason game, the warm-up game, but Gruden's teams are so consistently unready! The other team when it counts (and even in preseason when it doesn't) always seems more prepared and playing harder.

Other than Peterson and maybe a few D Line guys, we played like crap the entire game.

I just want to see Gruden start the season with a prepared, disciplined team, that's seems hungrier than the opponent and can execute. Is that really to much to ask for game one?

For Gruden? Yes, it is too much to ask. Camp is soft, starters don't play much, even if they are new to the team, and people wonder why we start slow all the time.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not saying you guys are wrong, as I’m not a huge fan of limited snaps for starters either.

But sometimes your players just aren’t as good as the other teams players.  Or they are and just don’t play well.  Not much the coach can do about that.

There's a difference between not as good and playing like crap. Today, we played like crap... almost everyone except for Adrian Peterson. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that, but it’s a preseason game - not sure what the coach needs to do to get them ready.  They should just be ready.  

Whatever it is he needs to do he ain't getting it done. And yeah, it's a preseason game, but we've seen this story before. Every year, Gruden's teams start out slow. They don't seem ready to compete until regular season game number 3. Then, whenever they come off a bye they lay an egg. If they get ten days after a Thursday night game they always come out flat and look unprepared.

There's just something missing with this team. Gruden needed to find what that is and change it up. For three years, it's been an average/borderline football team. And I never want our team to look like crap especially not in the first quarter when the starters are out there. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that, but it’s a preseason game - not sure what the coach needs to do to get them ready.  They should just be ready.  

But Jay is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.  Why not look at what the Patriots do, and use their model of success?  We always start off slow.  I just heard Theisman say, Gruden hasn't won an opener in his whole career here.

• Jumbo locked this topic

Archived