Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Snyder hired Gruden because..........what was his awesome resume?

He was friends with Bruce Allen

If Gruden was going to be a good coach, he’d have shown it by now. He’s not. This team is undisciplined, unprepared and never improves over a season. 

Barring a miraculous season, he doesn’t deserve another year here 

2 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

I really love how they closed the game day thread to avoid the 350 post of how bad this franchise is...

You mean this one here that's still open?

2 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

I Hope people wake up and stop giving the clown their hard earned $$$

Maybe they'll at least donate you a coat instead of five bucks to blow at the liquor store. You look cold. :) 

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

This franchise had Kyle Shanahan & Sean McVay under it's roof, but decided Jay Gruden was the man.  Both those guys provided immediate results for those teams.  McVay to an even bigger extent.

Snyder hired Gruden because..........what was his awesome resume?

It would have been great if someone in the front office would have had the stones to fire Gruden and promote Sean McVay in 2016. 

After over 4 years, and now sitting on a Sunday night after a home loss to the hapless Colts by two TD's, we need to ask ourselves if Jay has the "it" factor. It's not the players. It's the position the coaches put them in to be successful. Teams know what we are doing on both sides of the ball and Jay doesn't adjust to keep them guessing. Someone needs to put him out of his misery and force change. Jay can look back on his career and blame injuries but the bottom line is that he's lost too many must win games at home and plenty of winnable games on the road. He is outclassed by opposing coaches both in game prep and in-game coaching. The proof is in his head coaching career. 

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Teams know what we are doing on both sides of the ball and Jay doesn't adjust to keep them guessing. The proof is in his head coaching career. 

I was thinking the opposite was the problem. Last week, the Redskins showed they could win by a hard-nosed, power football team and so what do we do this week? First play is a reverse. Second play is play action. In the entire first half AP only had three carries. Gruden threw away what worked last week and went back to his pass happy, I'm-the-smartest-coach-in-the-room ways. He wanted a finesse win. Now, the running game wasn't doing much, but he threw it away pretty much after the first attempt. It's a bad game plan when in the first half your running back has almost as many receptions as he does carries.

Come to think of it... maybe you're right. Gruden lost because he reverted to form and didn't learn the lessons of the past. He lost with the same game plans that he lost half the time with when Cousins was the QB.

Gruden admitted to not adjusting or changing even after late in the 3rd qtr. He said he was trying to stick to the game plan [ which wasn't working ] hoping it would start getting better; it didn't.

This is his M.O., and he is not a play caller; McVay was the engine behind the success they had, and the proof is in the pudding. And of course its the same old 'we gotta get better, we gotta stop their offense, we gotta score points, we gotta this we gotta that we gotta whatever else.

We gotta get either an OC who can call plays or a new HC. If they had lost 31-27, 23-21, any competitive score, it would have been a little easier to swallow, but missing 2 starting o-linemen and having only 1 good WR, even a good QB would have trouble. Giving Redskin WRs a chance to  fight for the ball instead of playing conservative might have helped, but Jay simply cannot be HC AND OC, he needs to let someone else call plays from now on or quit. Its the same old crap problems from last year, being out-coached and predictable formation calling. That's what separates the good HCs from the bad ones.

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Gruden admitted to not adjusting or changing even after late in the 3rd qtr. He said he was trying to stick to the game plan [ which wasn't working ] hoping it would start getting better; it didn't.

This is his M.O., and he is not a play caller; McVay was the engine behind the success they had, and the proof is in the pudding. And of course its the same old 'we gotta get better, we gotta stop their offense, we gotta score points, we gotta this we gotta that we gotta whatever else.

We gotta get either an OC who can call plays or a new HC. If they had lost 31-27, 23-21, any competitive score, it would have been a little easier to swallow, but missing 2 starting o-linemen and having only 1 good WR, even a good QB would have trouble. Giving Redskin WRs a chance to  fight for the ball instead of playing conservative might have helped, but Jay simply cannot be HC AND OC, he needs to let someone else call plays from now on or quit. Its the same old crap problems from last year, being out-coached and predictable formation calling. That's what separates the good HCs from the bad ones.

Portis agrees with you. He said on 980 tonight we definitely need an OC, and I agree too.

1 minute ago, brandymac27 said:

Portis agrees with you. He said on 980 tonight we definitely need an OC, and I agree too.

I’ve said this in 2014, then was happy when McVay took over in 2015/2016.

I said before the 2017 season it was a critical error for Gruden to be HC/OC/Play Caller.  And I don’t want to hear any crap about Cavanaugh being the OC.  That’s title only.  It’s Jay’s offense.

Reid, Payton and MAYBE McVay are the only ones who are currently able to pull it off.  Reid is an awesome coach minus postseason. Payton has a SB ring and maybe the best offense in the league year in and year out.  

Dan, do what the Giants did. When they realized that they were not improving they fired the whole coaching staff and GM right away. You have stuck with this looser for 4 years. Are things getting better? Sure, you beat one of the worst teams in the league last week but now you were embarrased at home to another team the experts are picking to be a rebuilding team. The stands are starting to empty. Think that is because people want to be there? M Florio on PFT said no one was watching or even cared that the Skins were on tv in the studio. This once proud franchise is turning into the NFC version of the Browns. 

1 hour ago, CutPryorNow said:

It would have been great if someone in the front office would have had the stones to fire Gruden and promote Sean McVay in 2016. 

I dont know that McVay would have taken the job in all honesty. He knew he was going to get a job in the future and have the chance to build his own team. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Week after week, loss after loss.....Gruden admits, something.   For starters he should not be the HC and the O-coordinator.  End that dual role ASAP. 

And replace with who? Cavanagh? Callahan?  Neither of those guys are inspiring...

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

No good coach is gonna come here until we have a real structure in place with Allen and Gruden gone. Real GM who finds the coach.

Allen has to go first, during the season. And hire a new GM who is given full authority to blow everything up and rebuild it.  

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

This franchise had Kyle Shanahan & Sean McVay under it's roof, but decided Jay Gruden was the man.  Both those guys provided immediate results for those teams.  McVay to an even bigger extent.

The funny part is while Kyle was here people hated him and wanted him gone.  Even going as far as saying he only got the gig because he was Mike's son.  

Its even funnier how when he left he his next team went to The Superbowl and is now considered an up and coming young head coach.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Hammer said:

The funny part is while Kyle was here people hated him and wanted him gone.  Even going as far as saying he only got the gig because he was Mike's son.  

Its even funnier how when he left he his next team went to The Superbowl and is now considered an up and coming young head coach.

I remember those days. Now look at us.

image.png.97ec2debc11aebbe30cf6b631d6a6013.png

4 hours ago, CutPryorNow said:

how many team hire from the staff of their fired head coach?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And replace with who? Cavanagh? Callahan?  Neither of those guys are inspiring...

Allen has to go first, during the season. And hire a new GM who is given full authority to blow everything up and rebuild it.  

what good does that do?  you have no faith in the people doing the hiring

3 hours ago, brandymac27 said:

We come out completely unprepared to play a few times a year. Gruden can't manage the clock, can't make in-game adjustments, thinks people like Jim Haslett and Joe Barry are quality D-Coordinators.... now we just have to remove the burden of running the offense from him. And people still think he's a good coach.

Is there a definition of "coaching" that I am unfamiliar with?

Archived