Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

Gruden presser.  When asked about the lack of receiver involvement if we need to force it more: said essentially probably, but we got some catches, and we can only take what they give us, and they werent giving us that.

So in short, according to Gurden we couldnt have done better in the passing game.  So nothing to fix.  Whoop-de-do.

I really love how they closed the game day thread to avoid the 350 post of how bad this franchise is...

Fire Gruden now...he promotes a lazy attitude, has no authority with the players because? ..... he's a nice guy. 

Not a bad way to be, unless you deal with younger pro athletes that are always looking for the easy way to go about things....

People that run this sillyness are in the devils hip pocket.  Plain and simple....now watch the censorship in full force......

I'm a born and raised skins fan of 50 years....this franchise is a total mess.

Again....15 plus years now? Minus 1 or 2 good years???

Hope people wake up and stop giving the clown their hard earned $$$

I did 

Unless the Colts are the league's  best kept secret, there was absolutely good reason for both of their lines to dominate our lines the entire game.

It made no sense.  

Beyond that though, there has to be some kind of disconnect between our coaches, those who evaluate the talent and the players on the field because all evidence so far suggest that this WR core is not up to NFL standards as a unit.  I think Paul Richardson is serviceable in the right situation, but Crowder is building a  bigger case with every passing game that the hot start to his career was due to Jackon-Garcon-Reed balling out, which left him in favorable match ups. Ever since that trio broke up as a unit, Crowder has been mediocre at best.  The front office should be ashamed of itself going into a second season in a row with this kind of WR core when there are available players out there, that won't be expensive, and are a hell of lot better then what is here now.  (This isn't specifically regarding Dez, but yes, unfortunately, he happens to be one)

The running game.  This cuteness has to stop. I am tired of seeing 2-3 guys running across the field before the snap only for it to result in a 1 yard loss.  It isn't fooling anyone and it is 10x the effort than worth what it is gaining.  Tired of 90% of this offense resulting in the ball getting to the receiver at the actual line of scrimmage or barely a yard or so beyond it.   Two weeks of making it easy on the opposing defense to game plan. 

The defense...I don't want to come down to harsh on them yet. I wouldn't say they have been bad, just a mixed bag.  They have made plays, but given up lots of yards,

I cant defend Jay on this one, his offense looked conservative and predictable most of the game.  WR's started to get more involved and I credit the play calling for that,but then he forgets he has Reed and I want to smack him.  I need to see the oline again, because like we were getting pressure up the middle before our wrs could get open, and that is a losing combination no matter what play you call

15 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Gruden presser.  When asked about the lack of receiver involvement if we need to force it more: said essentially probably, but we got some catches, and we can only take what they give us, and they werent giving us that.

So in short, according to Gurden we couldnt have done better in the passing game.  So nothing to fix.  Whoop-de-do.

Wow.....THAT is what he had to say?  So was our defense "giving in to T.Y. Hilton" or was Hilton going out and winning routes? Hmmmm.....

My gawd what an awful answer.

Gruden has been given, what, 5 years now?  Rookie head coaches can turn around their teams in a single year.  Gruden has been given several years, and he still hasn't done a whole lot.  Get him out of here.  The biggest problem ultimately is the owner.  Even if we fire Gruden, the team will remain bad.  If we fire Bruce Allen, who is the replacement?  probably some GM with the same characteristic.

Watching the Vikings and Packers play, I saw Cousins roll out on a bootleg with a TE wide open in front of him for an easy 1st down. What happened to our bootlegs? I saw nothing of the sort. Was Alex pulling it down and running every time, or did we just not bother with bootlegs at all?

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Watching the Vikings and Packers play, I saw Cousins roll out on a bootleg with a TE wide open in front of him for an easy 1st down. What happened to our bootlegs? I saw nothing of the sort. Was Alex pulling it down and running every time, or did we just not bother with bootlegs at all?

Did we even call a single bootleg today? Not sure it would have mattered since apparently our WR's can't get open.

I have been a strong supporter of Jays. I still like him and think he can get this together as some part of me believes its early growing pains of a new QB.

However, he owns this loss. The offense was not ready. His team came out after a big win and laid a big egg. Very disappointed and he deserves what ever criticism he gets after this POS of a game. 

On the bright side the D actually played pretty well after the first two TDs. They easily played well enough to win.  

10 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Did we even call a single bootleg today? Not sure it would have mattered since apparently our WR's can't get open.

I'd like to think a bootleg or 5 could have helped. Their defense was keyed up on our RB the entire game. Fake it to Peterson, roll out and try to hit someone. I know Smith rolled out a few times and got a couple of yards on runs, but I don't know if it was him pulling it down by design or by panic.

30 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

I really love how they closed the game day thread to avoid the 350 post of how bad this franchise is...

To be fair the Game Day thread was more about Cousins so it was not really relevant.

Back to Gruden's evaluation...

We're back to square 1 I guess.

OL was crappy.

No Running Game.

0 WRs.

No Run D

We managed to lose a game were we won the TO battle and the yards battle... 21-9...

I would believe there's some buts to kick on monday morning at Redskins Park.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

To be fair the Game Day thread was more about Cousins so it was not really relevant.

Back to Gruden's evaluation...

We're back to square 1 I guess.

OL was crappy.

No Running Game.

0 WRs.

No Run D

We managed to lose a game were we won the TO battle and the yards battle... 21-9...

I would believe there's some buts to kick on monday morning at Redskins Park.

Dan Snyder should bend over and kiss his own arse. 

41 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

Gruden is a ****ty coach....both of them

One was the best coach in the sport for 3 years, then I swear he began to read his press clippings and started to suck. This Gruden basically got 2 different teams to the SB in the same year and was one tuck-rule away from possibly getting to another.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

One was the best coach in the sport for 3 years, then I swear he began to read his press clippings and started to suck. This Gruden basically got 2 different teams to the SB in the same year and was one tuck-rule away from possibly getting to another.

Jay Gruden? What team was that? The raiders/Bucs? 

Yeah the main issue with Gruden's tenure is that this team has been stuck in the .500 limbo.  The team took the one jump in 2015, but then reverted and is now back to basically where they were when Gruden first took over.  Different personnel, same results. The one constant has been Gruden (well, besides the front office).

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Yup.

Then I expect him to kick Jim Tomsula's and Bill Callahan's asses.

You just reminded me of one of my all time favorite book quotes, from Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, it’s not online, so I’ll have to dig out the book to get the exact quote. Which I’ll do later tonight. If this scene is recreated at Redskins park tomorrow, then we win 14 games in a row. :)

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

However, he owns this loss. The offense was not ready. His team came out after a big win and laid a big egg. Very disappointed and he deserves what ever criticism he gets after this POS of a game. 

This is what I was afraid of..Typical "Redskin" game after a nice win. Gruden better light a fire in his belly or I'm going to join the chorus saying enough is enough...I didn't see the game..just followed on IPhone..looks like Norman was taken to the woodshed 1st half.

9 points is disgraceful..Lucky Philly lost and one of 2 NFCE will loose and make the division even.

This has GOT to Stop..go get Gorden or something if the WR can't get open...

Evaluating Jay on his job performance doesn't look  good for him. :806:

I think when it's all said and done, we will be moving on from him.

Going into the season Jay's hot seat competition came from  Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, Hue Jackson, John Harbaugh, Vance Joseph, Dirk Koetter and Jason Garrett.  Todd Bowles, John Harbaugh and Dirk Koetter look to be the one who could escape that hot seat.  Mike Tomlin and rookie Mike Patricia could join the hot seat.

The reason I mention this here, when Dan does evaluate Jay on 2018;  seeing the potential openings and thus competition for coaches; may play a role in Jay getting a Year 6. I think his won/record will be the only factor but maybe Dan takes into consideration other factors.

Does Dan feel the Skins would be one of the better openings among these teams with potential openings: Washington, Miami, New York Jets, Cleveland, Baltimore, Denver, Tampa ,Dallas, Pittsburgh and Detroit?   

Evaluating Jay based on today's performance; sees him joining Johnny in Oakland-Las Vegas.

Archived