Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

Week 1 VOR grades based on my evaluation criteria from the OP:

1. Opener and everything that goes into it: A

2. Improved running game: A

3. End of half/game situations: B.  He handled the end of the first half wonderfully.  I personally didn't like conceding the Arizona score, playing soft and exchanging yards for time.  Mostly because I don't think the defense gave him any reason to HAVE to do that.  And they were up enough that even if they gave up 1 quick score by being aggressive, it woudln't have mattered.  Minor nit to pick.  He gets an A for the first have though, that was well done.

4. Don't blow leads. A. They didn't blow the lead. 

5. Stomp on opponents throat when down: C+, only because I kinda wish they could have scored 1 TD in the second half, and started the half with more consistency on offense.  A better offensive opponent might have made this a game in the 4th with the way the second half started. 

6. No duds.  A

7. Record.  1-0.  You are what your record says you are.

Overall, I think this is an A performance by Jay.  Minor nits to pick on the way the second half started, but when they needed plays, they got them.  And they were always in control of the game. For those playing along at home, the 18 points ranks behind only:

2015 Week 10 vs. Saints (47-14)  33 point win

2014 Week 2 vs. Jax (41-10) - 31 point win** This was Jay's second game as a HC.  I had actually forgotten it entirely...

2016 Week 16 vs. Chicago (41-21) 20 point win

Is tied with:

2016 Week 11 vs. GB (42-24) 18 point

And one point better than last year's best win:

2017 Week 3 vs. Oakland (27-10) 17 point

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Preseason means F all. Team looked prepared today.

Yep.  Sure did.  Not sure it mean F all, but they got the work in they needed to be prepared today.

A grade for getting the team ready for the opener.

Maybe it was Kirk who started slowly.  Or maybe Kirk just needed more reps in pre-season, and Alex needs less reps, so it's just a better fit. 

On 9/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Andy Reid for his entire Eagles Career

Martin  Schottenheimer with KC

Good but not good enough..plenty of GOOD Coaches are recycled through the NFL

The question is absurd...every franchise evaluates " how well the team competed in their losses"? ". It's called Loosing or NOT loosing the team..if they fight hard for the coach and are simply out classed..the coach did his job. It's the FO that has to supply the talent NOT the coach..get real

Wow, again, you COMPLETELY ignored the question because you know you are wrong.  But you keep throwing up strong men.  How many good teams evaluate how GOOD the losses are when they make the playoffs 1 in 5 years?  None.  The answer is none.  If you think the Patriots evaluate "how well we lose" you are a complete fool.

I mean even your examples were terrible, you basically proved my point for me.  Andy Reid made the playoffs in 9 out of 14 seasons, winning 10 playoff games.  He wasnt a "1-in-5 seasons make the playoffs" coach.  Schottenheimer made the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons with KC.  I mean if we keep arguing like this pretty soon you are going to start making better points for my side than I am.  In a heartbeat we would take a coach who could get us a 70% playoff appearance rate.

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Wow, again, you COMPLETELY ignored the question because you know you are wrong.  But you keep throwing up strong men.  How many good teams evaluate how GOOD the losses are when they make the playoffs 1 in 5 years?  None.  The answer is none.  If you think the Patriots evaluate "how well we lose" you are a complete fool.

Every team evaluates their losses and reaches conclusions as to what they did right, what they did wrong and whether or not they played well in the loss. You think the Patriots became the Patriots by saying "we lost, there's nothing good to be gained by evaluating the game"?...On rare occasion you may hear a coach say something like "we're not gonna even review the game film" on an incredibly bad loss, but that's it. 

And I guarantee you none of them phrase it as looking at "how well we lose".

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

I mean even your examples were terrible, you basically proved my point for me.  Andy Reid made the playoffs in 9 out of 14 seasons, winning 10 playoff games.  He wasnt a "1-in-5 seasons make the playoffs" coach.  Schottenheimer made the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons with KC.  I mean if we keep arguing like this pretty soon you are going to start making better points for my side than I am.  In a heartbeat we would take a coach who could get us a 70% playoff appearance rate.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.

Reid got to playoffs and lost GOT FIRED aka a winning coach......Duh

Schottenheimer got to playoffs and lost GOT FIRED aka a winning coach......Duh

Marv Lewis winning coach and people want to fire him because of his playoff record

All of the above franchises evaluated How Good the Losses were as well as how Good the Wins were.

Take your Patriots...Josh McDaniels was a loser- LOST in Denver but here he is heir to the King..

Why don't you put up a poll and see how many think Franchises evaluate losses (good or bad) just like they evaluate wins and don't base a coach retention decision only on losses

How did you like your loser coaches game plan yesterday ?

Thats ok, I'm done..clearly.."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

Evaluating Jay for Week 1, he's getting an A.  

I don't think that proves or disproves anything historical just yet.  I think it does deliver facts that he had his players prepared, #1.  

Strong #2, and probably the best part about Jay is that his players understood his message about the how important this game was for him...and it was expressed that they wanted not only to win the game, but win it for Jay Gruden.  No doubt that everyone likes Jay as a person.  No doubt that his players love him.  This is very Gibbs Esq. (if Jay shares any characteristics with the Legend).  However, Jay was playing for his career yesterday.  Don't discount that fact.  One game does not make up for his poor record as a HBC.  He has to deliver a winning season or he's going to find himself somewhere else.  He's had a few months to prepare for Week 1.  He's got 1 week to prepare for Week #2.  I don't think anyone would argue that Andrew Luck is twice the challenge that Sam Bradford is, with more weapons.  Also think the schedule is favorable for developing some momentum towards the GB Week 3 matchup.  If he has a good game plan and doesn't make his coaching mistakes in a close game for Week #2, then we're going to get to see what he's evolved into Week 3.  Jay has to bring this team to another level.  He definitely started off with an A game!  

Busy day today.

Anyway, I was going to be very critical of Jay and the lack of playing time for the starters in the preseason if we came out looking flat against the Cards and I'm ecstatic that my gut feeling was WRONG. 

I've always been a Jay fan and I think he's one of the very good offensive minds in all the NFL, I really don't think we need another coach and I hope he does enough this year to get an extension so we can continue to build.

Anyway, I was wrong and Jay was right, who da thunk it.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:57 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

1.       The opener and everything that goes into it.  So far, Jay is 0-4 in openers, and they haven’t really been pretty.  He’s faced questions about how much he plays his starters in the pre-season, and why the team doesn’t seem to be ready week 1, but is typically ready weeks 2 and 3.

Since 2015, the ‘Skins are 2-1 in weeks 2 and 3.  This has led to questions about why Week 1 is such a problem. There are some who have said that it was Kirk who started slowly.  Ok, now we get to see. 

I’m going to look to be seeing if there are any changes in pre-season and training camp.  We have a new QB, a second year starting WR, a new starting WR, and most likely a new RB and starting LG.  I don’t want to hear that it’s going to take until week 4 or 5 for them to all gel.  So more than ever, I’m going to be looking to see how Gruden handles the pre-season, and if the team is ready to play, and put up between 24-30 points in the opener, regardless of who they are playing.

The trend has to change.  Regardless of result, I'm looking for improvement. Preferably a win, though. (I'm also guessing they open on the road because they've opened at home for ages...)

Checked!

Now I hope Jay will have his team even more ready for weeks 2/3!

2.       Improved run game.  They’ve made a HUGE emphasis about getting new Running backs, and improving the run game.  Are they actually able to accomplish that?  Or are they going to average <2 yards on first down carries?  I believe (and have believed) that this has been a combination of personnel and scheme, so I’m looking for improvement.

Looking good so far!

4.       Don’t blown leads.  Cooley did the breakdown earlier this year, but the amount of times the ‘Skins blow a 10 point plus lead to let the opponent tie or take the lead is astounding.  They still win some of these games.  However, when it happens as regularly as it does, it’s a trend, and that’s coaching.  If we get up by 10 or 14 points, I want to see the ‘Skins maintain that lead. Right now I expect that the other team is going to go right down the field and score to pull the game back to one possession.  NOTE: Some leeway will be given to teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, who can come back on anybody because Rodgers and Brees are HOF QBs who do it to everybody.  Though blowing the 13 point lead to the Saints last year was really, really bad. 

5.       This is somewhat related to #4, but when they get a lead, I want to see them put opponents away so we’re not white-knuckling and hoping we can get a stop.  Win a few games by 10+ points.  They really COULD have done this the last couple of years, but they just haven’t been able to hold leads very well.  Blow out a few teams.

Checked for Week 1

7.      Record.  At the end of the day, this is a bottom line business, and the team has to win.  Context is everything, but this is year 5 of Jay/Allen, and they need to win. Context is everything, so I’ll be looking hard at the things above as well as the record…

We're 1-0.

OK, so you can officially cross your point 1 VoR as it's been checked, others are still up to debate, but they are trending in the right direction :)

Maybe Jay looked at your post. Wanna do one about the ST maybe?

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Busy day today.

Anyway, I was going to be very critical of Jay and the lack of playing time for the starters in the preseason if we came out looking flat against the Cards and I'm ecstatic that my gut feeling was WRONG. 

I've always been a Jay fan and I think he's one of the very good offensive minds in all the NFL, I really don't think we need another coach and I hope he does enough this year to get an extension so we can continue to build.

Anyway, I was wrong and Jay was right, who da thunk it.

I hear ya I was expecting the offense to sputter in this game and if it had worked out that way I'd be pissed but they ran so well it was shocking.  Thompson and AP make a really nice combination.  The defense played well and the Skins looked like dare I say it, contenders?  I predicted 9-7 and had to hope and wish to feel able to even say that but now I'm as giddy as a kid let outta school for the summer!  I have no idea how they will look on Sunday but this past Sunday Jay's Skins looked dominant!

On 9/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Califan007 said:

Every team evaluates their losses and reaches conclusions as to what they did right, what they did wrong and whether or not they played well in the loss. You think the Patriots became the Patriots by saying "we lost, there's nothing good to be gained by evaluating the game"?...On rare occasion you may hear a coach say something like "we're not gonna even review the game film" on an incredibly bad loss, but that's it. 

And I guarantee you none of them phrase it as looking at "how well we lose".

That has nothing to do with what we were discussing.  We werent discussing whether coaches look through the film and evaluate players, or tactics after losses.  We were discussing whether good NFL franchises, rather than outright firing someone for making the playoffs 1 time in 5 years, evaluate their losses to see if they should keep the coach.

There's still a chance to eat crow for what I'm about to post, but what the hell does it take to get your team prepared two weeks in a row? The Redskins look disorganized, confused, and flat against the Colts.

Why can't Gruden get his team to play, to improve, we're once again an inconsistent 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 Jekyll and Hyde mess.

If we stay flat for the next couple of games, then it is absolutely Gruden's fault. Same **** different year. We score a bunch of field goals, we go nowhere the rest of the game. We call awful plays, and expect something new to happen.

We sit our starters almost the entire preseason, and the most surprising thing happened! They play SLOPPY. We got gifted a second quarter feast against the Cardinals, and we have been dead for the game and a half since. Our defense, of all things, has kept these games manageable. Our offense has not. I don't blame Kirk anymore for this, we're seeing the exact same plays as before. Without Adrian Peterson, this is a carbon copy team of 2017.

The fundamental problem we have, is this team looks no better than it did 5 seasons ago when Gruden first started coaching them.  That just shouldnt be the case.  The only difference at all just appears to be we have a few better players, and so games like last game where one player(AP goes off) makes the difference.

11 minutes ago, zoony said:

I just refuse to believe that the colts D is this good

Gruden has fallen into the AP trap.  He is not the answer on offense

It isn't just AP, it's the whole offensive system. Stretch for -2, pass to Reed for 4, screen to Thompson on 3rd and 8. Replace either of the last two with a sack and that's Gruden in a nutshell.

21 minutes ago, zoony said:

I just refuse to believe that the colts D is this good

Gruden has fallen into the AP trap.  He is not the answer on offense

Hardly an AP trap if AP only had three runs in the first half.

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It isn't just AP, it's the whole offensive system. Stretch for -2, pass to Reed for 4, screen to Thompson on 3rd and 8. Replace either of the last two with a sack and that's Gruden in a nutshell.

That's it. We don't look like year five in a program. We still look confused, disorganized and blah. The Colts in year one were a thousand times more crisp.

I will say the defense actually adjusted and played better in the second half and the offense played marginally better, but not when it counted. Did they come into the game thinking they were great again? Did overconfidence by the coaching staff and the players sink them? I don't know, but it took them a half to even begin to play and they couldn't manage to be perfect enough to pull it out in the second.

Pretty hard to lose a game where you get two interceptions that lead to scores.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Vikings fan messaged me, it went in and out of Treadwell's hands. Treadwell is take the worst of Doctson and makes it his entire game.

Well, cousins just connected with Thielen for 6, converted the 2, now its a tie game

Fail To The Redskins

#FTTR

• Jumbo locked this topic

Archived