Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

36 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Agree on that. That was the case his first year and he acknowledged that and turned to McVay. Then Somehow when McVay left, he took the job back, like he had no real trust in Cavanaugh doing it. Which is weird...

Also, I do believe there's too many voices in his ears when it comes to offensive gameplan.

You had:

- Callahan for running plays.

- O'Connell for passing plays.

- Cavanaugh as OC.

- Jay as HC.

That's 3 too much here.

Put O'Connell as OC, and let him do his thing and that's it. No more X, Y or Z taking part of the gameplan it justs confuses everyone and in the end it looks like you're conducting a gameplan to please everyone...

I’ve been saying this for 2 years.  You need 1 OC who coordinates (hey that’s part of the title!) the offense, making sure each component helps the next.

The problem is we call plays.  Not games.  Complete lack of situational awareness.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they hire an honest to God DC, and preferably a good OC, I would be interested to see how Jay could do.

One of my (many) criticisms I have of Jay is he tries to do too much and sub optimizes everything.

Maybe if he was just the HC and not the OC/Playcaller as well he’d do better.

I’d be interest to see how that plays out.

Im not particularly interested in seeing the 3rd act of Jay/Manusky/Callahan/Cavanaugh though.

I'm not so sure that things will get better next year.

Yes, there is a dire need for some fresh blood as OC; Jay has hit a wall with schemes and play calling, to the degree that he's become predictable in 3rd down situations.  To make matters worse, he may have Alex Smith back, and if that's the case we can all expect to see the team nickel and diming their way down field, 5-8 yds at a time. The problem with that is defenses will pick up on it quickly and shut down the short game [ as they did this year with Smith ] and dare Smith to throw deep, which he refuses to do.

So its gonna  be a challenge on figuring out who to point the finger at next season, because I don't expect this team to do much of anything [ given the talent ] and then it will be a repeat of last year; an injury here and there, sluggish offense, defense that becomes tired out from being on the field so much, then more injuries, and eventually the team collapsing, causing the fans to really bring out the pitchforks and torches.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Yes, it was definitely impressive going 1-6 down the stretch, and going 7-9 including incredibly lucky wins against the Cowboys and Bucs.  Whats even more impressive is the history breaking blowouts against the Giants, Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Colts etc!  Also, its even more impressive that all of this was done thanks to one of the most amazing seasons by a player the Redskins didnt even want on the roster at the start of the season, AP, which if they had their way and played the season with their original plans, the team likely would have been 5-11 without.

Most impressive work there by a true master.

I mean I can spew nonsense, and ignore context as well.... but just sticking with reality. Bill Bellichek wasn't going to have a winning season here with the combo of injuries and pieces he had to use

I just think its hilarious that people will bring up his record in the last 7 games with Sanchez and Josh Johnson leading they way, he didn't pick those guys for the roster.

Bruce Allen loves all the people so worked up about firing Gruden, he LOVES it, because it ignores the root problem..... him and Snyder

I think it’s a disgrace to leave Jay hanging like this! Say what you want about his coaching but at least he’s here! Where the hell our are two leaders! Why do they never speak. What crazy person would want to come here and coach. Absolute disgrace to be gone at this time of year, with the finish we had, the turmoil, no leadership around.

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just heard on the Team 980 that Jay Gruden will be back next year as Head Coach.  Also heard our owner is getting a new yacht in 2019.  

Maybe he’s planning on having the games on the yacht so he doesn’t have to worry about ticket sales 

God...I HOPE he has learned (like he did with 36) to hold people accountable. Quit being their friend. Practice like you intend to play. Get a Greg William clone if you can't get him.

That and ley someone else call your plays. You don't process fast enough. Teach someone your system and stand back and let them run it. Be your creative self on any day but Sundays

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just heard on the Team 980 that Jay Gruden will be back next year as Head Coach.  Also heard our owner is getting a new yacht in 2019.  

Wonder if I can be hired on as a Bosuns mate?  Then mutiny and throw the SOB overboard?!?

Boooooooooo.

Nothing says success like bringing back your 5 year head coach that made the playoffs 1 time and then got crushed in the 1st round of the playoffs.  And when that 1 time was a poor 5-7 season in the worst division in football, rescued due to some amazing QB play over the last 4 games under Sean McVays offense, with 4 consecutive 300 yard games and a 13-1 TD to INT ratio.

But we all knew this was going to happen because to fire Gruden is to fire Allen, and thats never going to happen.

44 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I know a lot of folks aren’t that high on Jay, but remember this...He was able to drag mega-chump Kirk Cousins to the playoffs.

Thats gotta count for something!

Wrong, Sean McVay got Kirk Cousins to drag Jay to the playoffs.  2015, look it up, and look up the play after we were 5-7.  

How bad of a coach must you be where Kirk Cousins has to rescue you for your 1 playoff appearance in 5 years?

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

So why is everyone saying Callahan won't be back. Of all the Redskins coaching staff I'd rank him at the top.

Probably because other teams rate him just as highly lol. He could be in line for an OC job again, or just coaching a team that isn't always on the verge of a meltdown.

It's probably best that Callahan moves on..I think a lot of issues with the offense running on first down most of the time are coming from Callahan..Just too many people involved with the game plan and what plays are called.

Archived