Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

This is just unbelievable. Gruden calls the plays, but gives it up partway through the game. Not to our OC, oh no. To our QB COACH. What the actual ****

Edit: And then it gets better. We have a QB more brittle than a KitKat bar. We don't let his backup get any reps. Because reasons.

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I want them to keep Gruden because they will be drafting a QB and Snyder & Allen don't even recognize a good NFL QB when he is on their roster they sure as hell can't be counted to draft one whereas I think Gruden can spot a QB, for this reason, I want Snyder to keep Gruden.

How do you figure he can spot a QB?

Every one that he's worked with has flamed out or completely sucked ass running his system. Rg3, awful. Kirk was ok but only won more than 8 once. Smith looked awful. Colt too.

Sudfeld was terrible as well.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, skins island connection said:

Just replacing Bruce Allen would be an amazing fresh start.

As V of R said, if this team comes out Monday night and shows to be unprepared and flat-footed, with over a week and a half of preparation time, that falls directly on Gruden and his inability to scheme and gets his players motivated. Zero excuse for this to happen.

With so many thinking tomorrow night's game will be a blow-out, one has to think that more than likely it would dictate that it will not happen, but you reflect on past history and quickly come to your senses. Repetitiveness usually coincides with predictability.

Well, they came out, gave up a 7 minute TD drive, allowed the Eagles to screen them to death, andcwent 3-out in their first offensive possession.

The defense sucked the entire game.

If they couldn’t move the ball with Sanchez, I’d get it.

But they had something working with the 2 minute drive. Then they abandoned it and went back to being predictable.

I said I wouldn’t kill Jay for this game because if the injuries.

But the game was not trending well even before the injuries.

NO... NO... NO...

There are no excuses for this team to come out playing like dog **** week in and week out.

Gruden had 11 days.  11 DAYS, to prepare for this team, a team with a weak secondary and suspect o-line, yet he came into this game playing right into the strength of the Eagles, on both sides of the ball.

Even if Smith had not suffered a broken leg, he wasn't going to win in Dallas, he wasn't going to win in Philly, and its time people faced reality. This entire team, offensively, stinks. Gruden calls the plays, with the same results, he never knows how or when to adjust, he can't handle clock management, and he doesn't stand up for his players on the sidelines, getting into the refs' ears giving them the business when his players are being abused.  No, he just sits back and sucks his thumb.

He had a good QB before, 2 good WRs, 2 good TEs, a good o-line, yet he struggled to get to 8-8. Yes, the offense is lacking in talent this year, but there are a few weapons, but he refuses to use them to his advantage. He couldn't talk his QB into throwing the ball more than 10 yds downfield, and last I checked, the coach lays down the rules. He is extremely predictable in his playcalling, and he refuses to budge on his beliefs; unfortunately, his beliefs have cost this team any hopes of post-season. Anyone  thinking this team has a snowball's chance in hell of playoffs are out of touch with reality.

Gruden needs to go.

Bruce Allen needs to go.

Training staff needs to go.

Nutritionist should be shoved into a meat grinder.

Scouts need to go to burger King.

Manusky, what he showed tonight was pathetic; he must go.  He must have told the defense 'whoever comes up with a turnover, i'll give you a million dollars', because the only thing I saw was morons trying like hell to strip the ball away while they're running with the ball carrier to the endzone.

No, I'm done with Gruden and the entire staff, and quite a few players. Its time these crappy players are called out for what they really are, and its time to tell the coaches to bring their playbooks and turn them in. Gruden has no clue how to call a game, how to motivate players, how to... oh **** it, let this team crash and burn.

Forget about Sanchez for a second.  Even when McCoy was in there, the game plan was awful.   Either the skill position players on this team are bad, or game plan was garbage.   Entire 10 days leading up to this game the story was about how horrible the Eagles secondary is, yet the first 3-4 passes were sideways.  How are you not attacking downfield from the jump against this defense?

It's like Gruden doesn't even game plan around the opponent's weakness the way every other coordinator/coach does.

I think when we lost Alex Smith we lost a lot. We lost our professionalism and toughness. Gruden tried to go back to his pass happy style with Colt figuring he could do the Kirk Cousins thing with him. Nine rushes by your main back in a one point game doesn't cut it. Even more so if you're playing your third string qb who hasn't practiced any snaps.

Even with a ninety yard run, Peterson couldn't break a hundred. Part of that was lack of attempts. Part of that is because they decided to run it with Chris Thompson so they could injure a guy just coming back.

Still, most of my disgust is for a defense that has become entirely reactive, soft and afraid ever since we went 6-3. I can understand why the offense would have to go vanilla, but why has the defense followed suit? Gruden is HC. He's responsible for the D too.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think when we lost Alex Smith we lost a lot. We lost our professionalism and toughness. Gruden tried to go back to his pass happy style with Colt figuring he could do the Kirk Cousins thing with him. Nine rushes by your main back in a one point game doesn't cut it. Even more so if you're playing your third string qb who hasn't practiced any snaps.

People confused Alex Smith's struggles with what it means to have an actual bad QB under center.  Even his biggest defenders would not suggest Alex was playing great, but all things considered he wasn't losing games for the most part.  It was far more likely that Alex would improve over time once he had more reps in this offense, and getting familiar with players, than a guy like McCoy (and now Sanchez) just suddenly becoming good QBs.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Still, most of my disgust is for a defense that has become entirely reactive, soft and afraid ever since we went 6-3. I can understand why the offense would have to go vanilla, but why has the defense followed suit? Gruden is HC. He's responsible for the D too.

I truly don't understand the scheme on defense.  Ever since the Atlanta game I say every week in multiple threads, "teams are going to try and run the ball outside because the linebackers are slow"  If I, an idiot fan on a message board, can say that with much confidence, and then go see it in every single game since then, how is Manusky not in the film room at least attempting to make some kind of adjustments to nullify that damage.  Every single game it is the same story.  Once a team exploits a weakness, then it plays out over and over every single game.  

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Forget about Sanchez for a second.  Even when McCoy was in there, the game plan was awful.   Either the skill position players on this team are bad, or game plan was garbage.   Entire 10 days leading up to this game the story was about how horrible the Eagles secondary is, yet the first 3-4 passes were sideways.  How are you not attacking downfield from the jump against this defense?

It's like Gruden doesn't even game plan around the opponent's weakness the way every other coordinator/coach does.

We had all this time to prepare for the Eagles and didn't exploit their greatest weakness. I would have taken that coin toss and put my offense on the field to start that game, and would've gone after that shaky secondary. I just don't understand Gruden. This was a terrible game plan, you're so right @NoCalMike, and the playcalling led to a lot of head-scratching moments.....a flea-flicker involving Sanchez (still learning playbook) and Crowder (out since seemingly forever); that lateral by Reed? We were definitely in four-down territory the rest of the game, otherwise I guess we would've seen the swinging gate. Maybe Gruden has Zorn on speed dial?

Just now, NoCalMike said:

People confused Alex Smith's struggles with what it means to have an actual bad QB under center.  Even his biggest defenders would not suggest Alex was playing great, but all things considered he wasn't losing games for the most part.  It was far more likely that Alex would improve over time once he had more reps in this offense, and getting familiar with players, than a guy like McCoy (and now Sanchez) just suddenly becoming good QBs.

Yeah. The other thing about those who called for Colt is that while Colt does understand what Gruden wants better than Smith, Colt has a number of deficiencies. First off, he's a poor man's Rex Grossman... meaning he's a gunslinger without the arm. Second, and this is worse, the guy can't stay on the field. I remember when we were playing the QB carousel under Shanny. Colt looked pretty good, but he kept getting benched not because of play, but injury. 

He takes too many chances. On the play where he broke his leg, he was outside the pocket. If he just throws the ball away the play ends and he isn't hurt.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Jay Gruden calling some kind of Double Reverse crap with the 3rd string QB is beyond moronic.

It defies explanation.

My wife asked me what I was laughing at. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

As much as it disappoints me, I think Gruden survives, as does Bruce Allen. Losing both our QBs + half our O-Line is going to shield them from all their previous mistakes.

I can’t completely crush Jay for this game, but it didn’t start well before the injuries started to pile up.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I wish, but at the same time, we have Alex Smith's injury bogging us down for next season. So basically, a full lame duck season next year too. I have no hopes of convincing a coach to come to a team with a cesspool front office, and a QB who may or may not have a career ending injury.

We have 2-3 years really bad years ahead of us and that's complicated with the contract for Alex. That contract limits what we can do at QB.

The Skins are near if not near the bottom, of job attractiveness.

A key question in all of this is decision-making, and we've seen Gruden make incredibly poor decisions that hampered not only prospects for player development and long-term success (Barry as DC), but also put the team in very difficult situations. In that last respect, I'm talking about the decision to go into this season with only 2 QBs. The team has an O-line whose guys have not been able to collectively stay healthy as a unit. You have a backup QB who a lot of people (players and coaches/FO) like, but the proviso has long been "if he can stay healthy". When you know this, you don't go into the season with only 2 QBs. It's just plain stupid. Now, we're stuck with Sanchez and whoever we can bring in off the street. This is on Gruden.

53 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I want them to keep Gruden because they will be drafting a QB and Snyder & Allen don't even recognize a good NFL QB when he is on their roster they sure as hell can't be counted to draft one whereas I think Gruden can spot a QB, for this reason, I want Snyder to keep Gruden.

No.  

We need someone else other than Bruce and Jay, drafting our francise QB.

Two weeks in a row Jay has demonstrated a lack of understanding the game situation. Last week was not knowing when to go for 2pts and this week was wasting a time-out to prevent a delay of game penalty with the ball on the Redskins 1 inch line (The penalty would have cost a half an inch). He is not head-coach material.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I crossed over the "no blood left to squeeze from the rock" line on Thanksgiving, I knew it was only a matter of time until they tried to throw the rock at someone.

I expected more from the defense. Seeing the Haslett D from the first drive bugged the heck out of me. 

15 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

If Gruden finishes 8-8 or better he should definitely be back.  The owner and FO are lousy I think Gruden is competent so I want him back and Snyder and Allen to run off together on Snyder's yacht or jet.

I agree with the thought behind the point but not if Dan is keeping him just to pick a QB.  As much as some pick on Jay as some sort of clown on this thread.  I've heard-read many times that Jay is perhaps the smartest personnel guy at Redskins Park.  Scot told me to my face that Jay is a really good evaluator.

Getting Dalton in the 2nd was a good pick -- most 2nd rounders are busts.  Pushing RG3 out the door and elevating the QB they did was another good move.  As much as the Redskins are trashed here for not making McVay the HC -- who was the dude that gave a young kid that offensive coordinator position?  Again, Jay.  Heard multiple times, Jay wanted D. Jax to stay, FO disagreed,  Jay understands talent especially on the offensive side of the ball.

so do I trust this front office to make the right decision at QB without Jay?  Heck no.  This organization rivals the Browns at being clueless at the QB position, they have been beyond bad at judging QB, its been a clown shown under Dan.  So I agree with the point here, the odds are better that they will get the QB position right with Jay involved in the decision.

Having said that, I did say before the season that if they don't make the playoffs, I get them moving on from Jay.  5 years is a long enough time.  But if the anger is directed at him, it might actually save Bruce's job.   Bruce goes hey I gave the dude the horses but he underperformed.  Let me guide the next coach.  That's why IMO by a mile the heat should be on Bruce -- if people want Jay out, then fire Bruce, replace him with someone and let that dude make the decision.

The other thing is this is a hot mess of an organization to take over.  So I am not in the camp of just go get the next hot shot coordinator and watch all to be fixed.  I'll take a hot choice here weeks ago, Diflippo, I've seen him trashed on twitter by Vikings fans, heck even ex-player Sage Rosenfels saying he needs to go.  So the next toy looks shiny and perfect until you see their imperfections up close.

I presume this is directed about Manusky below but Swearinger is really swinging per usual -- if these coaches make it back, wonder if DJ makes it back, too. 

Archived